Duets on ABC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had recorded this (was watching SYTYCD) and watched a little bit of it before turning in. The PQ on my set (KGO in SF, Comcast) was pretty bad. There was not enough contrast and the colors were under-saturated. I only watched one duet with Jennifer Nettles and her first partner. The singing was very good but, and maybe the mics were not set up properly, it sure looked like they were syncing to a pre-recorded track. I hope not because this show will die a quick death if that's the case. I'll have to watch the entire show to see if that was just a technical glitch or a real issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm.. No takers yet. I watched the entire show yesterday and my feeling is that the actual singing is live on mic but is done to recorded instrumental tracks with some enhancements (reverb especially) done to add depth to the vocals. Aside from the fact that the scoring is bizarre (the 3 other stars judge the duet partner of the one that is onstage), the vocals were very, good. These are, for the most part, not American Idol wannabees but as Smokey Robinson would say real "sangers". A couple of the duets were stunning, especially Jennifer Nettles singing "Stay" with a guy from her hometown in Georgia. One of other standouts for me was Johnny Gray singing "Ordinary People" with John Legend. It was excellent. I can't predict how much staying power the show will have in the ratings but so far, at least from a vocal standpoint, I liked what I heard.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-27-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The performances were good but the format is a little boring. I will watch it a little more though just for the good singing. I got the impressions that the performances were either very well produces or multiple takes and airing the best one. It was all a little too perfect to be a live "one and done" take.
post #4 of 33 Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I tried to watch it but the format is idiotic. Letting the opposing judges rate everyone is just stupid.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

The performances were good but the format is a little boring. I will watch it a little more though just for the good singing. I got the impressions that the performances were either very well produces or multiple takes and airing the best one. It was all a little too perfect to be a live "one and done" take.

Could be. The performances do seem to be a bit too polished. I've done multiple searches on the web in regard to canned vocals, instrumentals or both but almost nothing, not even broad speculation. has come up yet.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Here's how you know a show's not doing well. Contestant Johnny Gray, who was one of John Legend's partners, is no longer in the competition "due to unforeseen circumstances" ..yet there's not a word about it on the 'net, anywhere. No rumors, no buzz, no nothing.

John picks a much hotter new partner, tonight.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

These are 3 great singers in need of a much better show (I don't include Robin because I don't think he's anything special). The other 3 could have easily been on The Voice and made the show work. The format of this particular show, however, is just crap. I'll keep watching just to hear them sing, but I'm not invested whatsoever.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think it's on at the wrong time. 2 singing shows just got done with and now a 3rd? I couldn't even get interested at all.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched it again tonight off and on. Kelly is so much better than her partners that its distracting. I never really listened to Sugarland, but Nettles is a great singer and seems like a fun chick. John Legend's voice is amazing.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't think that vocals were as good as last week's. Some of the song choices were just poor. Robin, in particular, killed Olivia with his choice.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Boring show. My wife watches it just so she can criticize the wardrobe choices of Kelly Clarkson.

skyehill if you don't listen to country music, yes, jennifer nettles has a great voice.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
They really should have just billed the show as a performance show saying that unknown singers and fans get to live out there dreams performing with their favorite artists.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't think you could make a show that made X Factor look great in comparison, but someone did it. This show is so bad.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I watched it again tonight off and on. Kelly is so much better than her partners that its distracting. I never really listened to Sugarland, but Nettles is a great singer and seems like a fun chick. John Legend's voice is amazing.

Nettles is as they say "a beast" when it comes to singing. She's got every tool in the singer's kit. I've always like John Legend and last week the show highlighted two of his best songs. There's a lot of gossip and mystery surrounding the abrupt departure of Legend's first partner, Johnny Gray. He was excellent last week and was second in the rankings. ABC is putting out some circumspect rationale for his leaving and, because I'm sure that the contestants have non-disclosure clauses in their contracts, Gray hasn't said much other than the departure wasn't his decision. Some folks who know him have said that there may be some things in his past, not very bad, that worried the suits at ABC. And yet Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen continue to gey paydays in Hollywood.

The girl who replaced Gray last night was good but she wasn't all that. The panel really over priced her for the wrong reasons IMHO. I actually thought that the guy who Legend didn't pick was a better pure singer but he was pretty schlupmy looking and Maleana was a pretty hot looking so... I felt the JRome's Grease duet with Nettles was the best number of the night and that he was the most polished singer.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Boring show. My wife watches it just so she can criticize the wardrobe choices of Kelly Clarkson.

It's almost as if the wardrobe girl is related to someone Kelly beat on "Idol."

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #16 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

It's almost as if the wardrobe girl is related to someone Kelly beat on "Idol."

I always thought she was around 60 by the way she dresses. For me it will be interesting to see how the live shows turn out along with the viewer voting...
post #17 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I felt the JRome's Grease duet with Nettles was the best number of the night and that he was the most polished singer.

Yep, best duet of the night even though it didn't really give him much to do. Jennifer did most of the heavy lifting with the singing, but he definitely performed it really well.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Kelly is so much better than her partners that its distracting.

That's probably why her partners get low scores. Most people would sound like crap singing with her. Just listen to her duet with Jason Aldean.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I didn't want to judge this show/format until it went live. Since the live show was virtually identical to the taped ones it certainly didn't alter my thinking. I think the fatal flaw is the contestants. They didn't/don't have one that I care about at all. Can they sing? Heck if I know as I'm beyond tone deaf. If I wanted to hear great singing I wouldn't tune into a reality show. :) I guess I'll blame the audition process as from what I can tell they walked the streets until they ran across someone. I think in one case they had to find one contestant within a day. The only other excuse might be they started with so few contestants the odds are much lower you'll find someone to become invested in.

The only saving grace is the judges' singing. I have never been a duet guy so even that is a stretch. However enough of a one that the season pass hasn't been canceled although I wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing left to record after this season. Unless it's completely revamped.

post #20 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The format of the show is so bad. The mentor/judges are great. 90 percent of the contestants are pretty darned weak vocally or performance-wise. J Rome is about the only guy that I think will amount to anything. His cover of Whitney is probably the best I've ever heard on a reality show. With the exception of Kelly, this first live show was pretty darned weak. Failed formula + low ratings = most likely never coming back.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

The format of the show is so bad. The mentor/judges are great. 90 percent of the contestants are pretty darned weak vocally or performance-wise. J Rome is about the only guy that I think will amount to anything. His cover of Whitney is probably the best I've ever heard on a reality show. With the exception of Kelly, this first live show was pretty darned weak. Failed formula + low ratings = most likely never coming back.

Actually, I don't mind the format and you pretty much have to do something different nowadays with so many similar shows. The duets are a godsend and curse at the same time. I enjoy (most of) the pros but they have very little chemistry with their contestants and at times it's almost painful. It also limits what they can do to a large degree. On the reality side I tend to dismiss the older contestants figuring one way or another they have had plenty of chances and I don't feel I need to cheer them on.

Again, I think it comes down to the contestants. I'm guessing they felt the pros would drive the show and placed very little importance on the contestants. For me none of them have any it factor... even my wife refuses to watch saying... I don't care about any of them. If they found likable talent (it is TV not radio) and let them sing whatever they wanted (theme nights are silly - especially for duets) it would have a chance.

I just never understand why they skip over the entertainment or and artist portions of talent and go for the singing per se. One of my favorite singers is Diana Krall. Listening to her is often magical (especially while I cut the lawn for two hours :)). At the same time watching her perform is a big let down (recently saw her sing at the White House)... I'd much rather watch a ton of artists that can't come close to her singing ability. 

post #22 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I watched the show last night but found my attention drifting quite a bit. The two remaining girls were just not very good at all. Jason wasn't bad but Kelly blew him away with her power vocals and even Jon and JRome were not all that interesting. Maybe it's just me but there is something not quite on center about Robin Thicke. I can't put my finger on it but he's a bit offputting to me. Maybe he's a little to slick for his own good. I haven't liked the host Quduss from day one. He doesn't really bring much to the table. It's too bad that Johnny Gray got booted by the ABC poobahs after the first show. The man appeared to be a real singer and would have made the show more interesting. I suspect that Jrome will win this thing but I'm not sure that I care all that much.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

If contestants are the driving force, this show has a problem. Because when John lost his partner I was upset. Not because she was gone, but because it was one less time a show I'd hear him perform. These people are all such wet sponges when they perform, except maybe J Rome, and with him I get the feeling he's desperately trying to be someone he isn't so that people will vote for him. The whole show just feels off. I have to say, it's made me ready for X Factor this Fall. Give me some spectacle and flash along with the singing. Gimme something. And on the subject of X Factor, have they picked a host yet?
post #24 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The two remaining girls were just not very good at all. Jason wasn't bad but Kelly blew him away with her power vocals and even Jon and JRome were not all that interesting. Maybe it's just me but there is something not quite on center about Robin Thicke.

For me if you start at 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 the mere fact you're singing a duet caps the score at 5 or so... throw in a forced song genre, no chemistry, and little performing ability and you ain't got much left. :) I was hoping being live would bring some life to the show which sadly it didn't. Robin Thicke isn't me favorite either but I'm guessing that's why they have four mentors (I'm willing to call them that since they sing with them). Regarding the favorite J Rome I like him the least... the others outside of the kid I have no thoughts about either way... that's not good. He doesn't seem to own any of his performances. When he sings I haven't a clue as to what he feels or believes. Zero ability to sell a song or make it his own.

post #25 of 33 Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Surprisingly last night's show was (much) better than the previous effort. Which of course was rather easy. :) Singing standards fit duets more so than the other themes. Back to my original (main) complaint... if they had contestants with any likability (not to even hope for some it factor) the show wouldn't be all that bad.

post #26 of 33 Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Good singing last night, but there's a problem when the best songs are sung by the mentors. John and Kelly sounded amazing together.
post #27 of 33 Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good singing last night, but there's a problem when the best songs are sung by the mentors. John and Kelly sounded amazing together.

I think it would be rather embarrassing if that wasn't the case. :)

post #28 of 33 Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I think it would be rather embarrassing if that wasn't the case. smile.gif

Yep, the format emphasizes how amateurish most of the people are. It's weird thing to build a show around. It's similar to Idol in that only women have left so far, which is kinda funny.
post #29 of 33 Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

If contestants are the driving force, this show has a problem. Because when John lost his partner I was upset. Not because she was gone, but because it was one less time a show I'd hear him perform. These people are all such wet sponges when they perform, except maybe J Rome, and with him I get the feeling he's desperately trying to be someone he isn't so that people will vote for him. The whole show just feels off. I have to say, it's made me ready for X Factor this Fall. Give me some spectacle and flash along with the singing. Gimme something. And on the subject of X Factor, have they picked a host yet?

I was looking looking around and Johny says he is unable to say why he was kicked off but insisted it was not because of something bad on in the past, I guess he can't say until the season is up?

I stopped watching this show weeks ago because Robin is so into himself and the judging is too much.
post #30 of 33 Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I found it interesting they had the contestants performs solos during the semi-finals. Not sure how much it helped if any... I still have zero interest in all of the remaining contestants and if I wasn't so stubborn (and didn't have a DVR) I'd stop watching and count my losses (a long time ago).

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page