post #271 of 738 Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

How does this help newcomers? Newcomers would have to start on page 1 as that is what the site does automatically since that will be their first unread message. Someone should modify the first post of this thread and post the warning on there, that would really benefi more people that don't want to be spoiled.

I am a newcomer to this thread, and i have been watching the show and love it, and that post really DID help me. I saw the heading, and i clicked on the last page listed, which was this one, as i wanted to see what people were talking about currently. Then, seeing the warning about spoilers on previous pages, now i know not to go back and read them. Thank you REPLAYROB for posting that warning.

As to the show, as many have already said i am sure, its so great to see a show like this, i love sci-fi and time travel if done well, and so far i have been very happy with how they are doing this show. I want one of those suits!!

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 738 Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
They’re From the Future, and Canada ‘Continuum’ on Syfy Is Latest Canadian TV Import

By NEIL GENZLINGER
SQUAMISH, British Columbia — The people behind “Continuum,” a slick Canadian science-fiction drama recently imported to the United States by Syfy, are very conscious that their growing international audience is a demanding, detail-oriented bunch. But the other day during the filming here of a Season 2 scene that had actors in a drainage tunnel with a roaring helicopter at one end, one detail was beyond anyone’s control.

“Hair continuity is a real problem with the wind tunnel,” Rachel Nichols, the show’s star, said after sprinting from the tunnel for yet another take, her long hair hopelessly askew.

Ms. Nichols plays a police officer from the future on the series, which became a hit for the Showcase cable network in Canada during its first season last year and began showing on Syfy last month. American viewers have long been accustomed to British imports — “Downton Abbey,” all those interchangeable detective shows — but “Continuum” is a reminder that Canadian series can also be competitive in the international marketplace.

“The show has now sold to 50 countries, and I think one of the reasons it has is because it looks like a quote-unquote American show,” Simon Barry, its creator, said over lunch in Vancouver the day before the Squamish shoot. “Everybody in this town knows how to make those, because a lot of them are made here. But traditionally Canadian shows haven’t really leveraged that aspect of the filmmaking process.”

It helped too that Mr. Barry’s premise for the series has sociopolitical resonance in almost any country. Ms. Nichols’s character, Kiera, is a police officer (or “protector,” as they’re called in the future) in Vancouver in 2077 who, as the show opens, is on hand for the execution of the members of Liber8, a terrorist group responsible for a devastating bomb attack on the corporations that rule the late-21st-century world. Just before the sentence is carried out the eight convicts transport themselves back in time, accidentally bringing Kiera along.

They wind up in the Vancouver of 2012, the Liber8 members trying to stop the coming of a world in which civil government has been supplanted and Kiera — still loyal to the corporate government of 2077 — doing her best to thwart them. The show’s deliberate ambiguity has fans debating on chat boards whether “Continuum” is a pro-business, right-wing series or the opposite. And Kiera, as Season 1 progresses, gradually confronts the possibility that she is fighting for the wrong side.

“We’re trying to keep the gray area gray,” Mr. Barry said. “We all know the old saying of one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. Conceptually we can mine that for drama.”

He added, “Time travel and displacement of time allow for displacement of perception and perspective.”

Contributing to Kiera’s angst is concern about the husband and son she left behind in 2077, giving a personal dimension to the classic time traveler’s worry about whether intervening in the past will alter the future.

For Ms. Nichols, whose previous work includes the CBS drama “Criminal Minds,” the role is a mental as well as a physical workout, since each episode spends time in both 2077 and our present.

“It’s studying up two different characters, one from a time that I know that my character doesn’t know, and one from a time that I don’t know that my character does know,” she said. “It’s a little complex.”

The show came about almost by accident. Mr. Barry, who got his start in the business as a cameraman, spent years writing for various pilots in the American market but had never had a series make it to air. He was developing “Continuum” in hopes of pitching it to an American cable network, but he put it on the shelf when he was hired to work on still another pilot.

There it sat until October 2010, when Pat Williams, a veteran director with whom Mr. Barry had worked, was scheduled for a routine meeting with Shaw Media, a Toronto company whose properties include the Showcase channel. Mr. Williams, looking for a project to pitch at that session, asked Mr. Barry if he had anything in the works, and “Continuum” came up.

Shaw liked what it heard. Tom Rowe of Reunion Pictures became an executive producer along with Mr. Barry and Mr. Williams, adding a layer of production and financing expertise, and Jeff King, a producer on series like “White Collar,” helped Mr. Barry get up to speed on how to be a show runner. The premiere of “Continuum” last May drew 1.7 million viewers, a significant number in Canada, where the population is 35 million.

Thomas P. Vitale, Syfy’s executive vice president for programming and original movies, said he knew “Continuum” was a good fit for his network a few minutes into the first episode.

“As the world gets smaller and smaller, these international shows are more appealing, and we’ll be buying more of them,” Mr. Vitale said. “Good entertainment cuts across national lines.”

Countless American series have been shot in Canada over the years, of course, but recently shows initially made for the Canadian market, like “Flashpoint,” have been successful abroad. “Continuum” joined another Canadian show, “Lost Girl,” on Syfy’s Monday night lineup.

“These aren’t just schedule fillers,” Mr. Vitale said. “These are high-profile shows.”

And the actors can feel that they’re in a different league.

“Five years or 10 years ago a Canadian show would only be a Canadian show, ” Victor Webster, who plays Kiera’s 2012 police partner, said as he waited for the next blast of helicopter hurricane. “But the shows that are coming out of Canada now are so good.”

The scene being shot here was fairly elaborate for the series, so much so that cast members were taking cellphone pictures as if they’d never seen a helicopter before. Other high-impact visuals come courtesy of Artifex Studios, a special-effects outfit in Vancouver where the owner, Adam Stern, and his staff brought the Vancouver of 2077 to life.

Anyone who knows present-day Vancouver was given a lot to think about the first time 2077 Vancouver was unveiled. Stanley Park, the city’s equivalent of Central Park, had sprouted skyscrapers, and discerning viewers noted a dam in the background in English Bay, presumably holding back the higher water levels produced by global warming.

Not that Mr. Barry would make any of that explicit in the scripts. “Continuum” fans don’t need to be told what to draw from a given scene; they’re scrutinizing everything pretty carefully. Kiera, for instance, has digitally enhanced vision, and shots from her point of view have graphic displays imposed on them. It quickly became apparent from fan feedback that certain obsessive viewers were freeze-framing those shots and studying the graphics for information.

“I go to my guys and say, ‘That can’t be gibberish,’ ” Mr. Barry recalled. So the digital displays contain nuggets for the freeze-framers.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And there’s the matter of the horse that 2012 Kiera encounters in a Season 1 episode coming up this month for Syfy viewers. The decision was to have Ms. Nichols play the moment as if she had never seen a horse before.

“The Internet lit up, because we never actually said why she reacted,” Mr. Barry said. “And a huge conversation was triggered about whether there were animals in 65 years, whether global climate change affected the ecosystem — all these variations of things that, by the way, we would never have thought up in the room when we were writing. The lesson there is: You don’t have to spell it out.”
post #273 of 738 Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If the show is pro-business, right wing it would just about be unique. Hollywood staple is anti-business almost always railing against corporatism, ironic as that may be.
post #274 of 738 Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

If the show is pro-business, right wing it would just about be unique. Hollywood staple is anti-business almost always railing against corporatism, ironic as that may be.
Please don't mention anything about "politics" here....
The mods will go crazy...wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #275 of 738 Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It would be nice to keep that out of the conversation and focus on important matters...like how hot the lead actress is in her suit. smile.gif
yankeeman likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #276 of 738 Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the thing, this is is NOT Hollywood.

Most of the Sci-Fi we get these dates are British or Canadian.
post #277 of 738 Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

That's because high drama needs both protagonists and villains. It's not hard to imagine the evil corporate titan crushing all who oppose his headlong pursuit of higher profits - especially those who advocate for safety or a cleaner environment - because there are so many real life examples. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine a right-wing hero or see any examples in mainstream literature or the arts, or in the real world (Atlas Shrugged excepted, perhaps). Maybe that's the reason it would be so unique, not that there's any "Hollywood conspiracy" to keep The Man down.
post #278 of 738 Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Of course we are discussing socio-economics here not politics. wink.gif
post #279 of 738 Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Of course we are discussing socio-economics here not politics. wink.gif
I have tried to argue that distinction before, but no one seems to notice.wink.gif

Tonite's episode was excellent and I am becoming more addicted to this series....biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #280 of 738 Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I like the socio-political aspect. It's refreshing over what 'Mericans are doing.
post #281 of 738 Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In Canada, Continuum is slated to return in April according to an on air promo swipe on Showcase.
Wytchone likes this.
post #282 of 738 Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I'm late to the party so It looks like I'll be seeing a mishmash of shows, all out of order, but I don't know what's happening anyhow, so it's all good. Looks like ep-1 is running soon, so I'll at least see the first and last one.

I like how they talk about time travel as if it were a puzzle to solve, instead of having all the answers.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #283 of 738 Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I'm late to the party so It looks like I'll be seeing a mishmash of shows, all out of order, but I don't know what's happening anyhow, so it's all good. Looks like ep-1 is running soon, so I'll at least see the first and last one.

I like how they talk about time travel as if it were a puzzle to solve, instead of having all the answers.

SyFy maybe doing a Marathon soon. Keep a eye out.

http://www.syfy.com/continuum
post #284 of 738 Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Enjoyed the last episode. Really, I'm enjoying it more every week. Did wonder why Kiera would send Lily, her grandmother pregnant with her own mother, off with Kellog. eek.gif I don't trust that guy. He's clearly got conflicting loyalties (although maybe no longer). And why didn't he just blink out of existence when his grandmother got killed by Travis? Hmmmm, that's a paradoxical puzzler. Unless it wasn't really his grandmother...

I see some conflict coming between Kagame and Travis. And wonder how long before Kiera tells her partner her secret. You just know that's got to be coming.
post #285 of 738 Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Enjoyed the last episode. Really, I'm enjoying it more every week. Did wonder why Kiera would send Lily, her grandmother pregnant with her own mother, off with Kellog. eek.gif I don't trust that guy. He's clearly got conflicting loyalties (although maybe no longer). And why didn't he just blink out of existence when his grandmother got killed by Travis? Hmmmm, that's a paradoxical puzzler. Unless it wasn't really his grandmother...

I see some conflict coming between Kagame and Travis. And wonder how long before Kiera tells her partner her secret. You just know that's got to be coming.

I think seeing how it used to be is playing a big part for both.
post #286 of 738 Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 248
This show went completely under my radar. Which isn't too hard to do.redface.gif How many episodes have aired so far? I'll have to check and see if Netflix has this so I can catch up.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #287 of 738 Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

This show went completely under my radar. Which isn't too hard to do.redface.gif How many episodes have aired so far? I'll have to check and see if Netflix has this so I can catch up.

Just checked the guide and there is going to be a mini-marathon that should get you caught up to date. Airs Sunday 2/24 starting at 5:00 pm ET and runs through until 11:00 pm ET, if you can wait that long.
post #288 of 738 Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

SyFy maybe doing a Marathon soon. Keep a eye out.

http://www.syfy.com/continuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Just checked the guide and there is going to be a mini-marathon that should get you caught up to date. Airs Sunday 2/24 starting at 5:00 pm ET and runs through until 11:00 pm ET, if you can wait that long.

Well that was easy smile.gif Thanks.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #289 of 738 Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They already referenced it in the show when it was postulated that the future that they were from has already been disassociated from the current timeline because of the changes.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #290 of 738 Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Excellent. Thank you. I will set my DVR up to record the marathon.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #291 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM

Liked: 10
I just finished the last episode of Continuum and I'm dying to know the answer to this question because I can't find it anywhere in the net. It's regarding Jason, the time-traveller Guard, who said that he was also included in the time travel from 2077 but he ended up in 1992. So why the heck is he in 2012? I don't get it. They were all (Liber8, Kiera, Jason, freelancers) time-travelled at the same time, right?
post #292 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

I just finished the last episode of Continuum and I'm dying to know the answer to this question because I can't find it anywhere in the net. It's regarding Jason, the time-traveller Guard, who said that he was also included in the time travel from 2077 but he ended up in 1992. So why the heck is he in 2012? I don't get it. They were all (Liber8, Kiera, Jason, freelancers) time-travelled at the same time, right?
PPL watching Continuum on SyFy are only up to episode 5, so out of respect- those of us who've seen the full first season are holding off discussing events that haven't aired on US TV yet. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Jason said he worked at the prison "monitoring the power couplings at the prison, charging the execution mechanism." and was sent back at the same time as Kiera and Liber8, but he landed in 1992, 20 years earlier than the rest of the time travelers. But he's kind of nuts- so who knows his real story?
Freelancers... maybe they came after the time travel tech was proven to work after the Liber8 incident?

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #293 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Season one will be out on Blu-ray on March 26th...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4804QM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z7Q8CQ7WSZ5639D8722&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #294 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

PPL watching Continuum on SyFy are only up to episode 5, so out of respect- those of us who've seen the full first season are holding off discussing events that haven't aired on US TV yet. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Jason said he worked at the prison "monitoring the power couplings at the prison, charging the execution mechanism." and was sent back at the same time as Kiera and Liber8, but he landed in 1992, 20 years earlier than the rest of the time travelers. But he's kind of nuts- so who knows his real story?
Freelancers... maybe they came after the time travel tech was proven to work after the Liber8 incident?

I meant no disrespect. I live in the Philippines and i just download my TV series. I was expecting that most people here were already done watching this series because it ended August 2012. Thanks for the info though.
post #295 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

^^^ Thanks for spoiler-tagging that. I visited the thread this morning, read the first few words of that post, and ran screaming from the room. I'd hate to have to put Kevin on "ignore"... eek.gifmad.gif
post #296 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Technically, i.e., splitting hairs, this thread is about the series on CANADIAN TV, not on SyFy (U.S.) TV. Therefore, the series has already finished airing all episodes and that means there aren't any spoilers when it comes to discussing all episodes in this thread.

There would have to be a separate thread for the airing of the series on SyFy in order for there to be spoilers.

Like I said, hair splitting biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #297 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Technically, i.e., splitting hairs, this thread is about the series on CANADIAN TV, not on SyFy (U.S.) TV. Therefore, the series has already finished airing all episodes and that means there aren't any spoilers when it comes to discussing all episodes in this thread.

There would have to be a separate thread for the airing of the series on SyFy in order for there to be spoilers.

Like I said, hair splitting biggrin.gif

No, it really isn't, and I'm one of those just discovering the series. You guys were here first smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #298 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Simon Baker pitched it first to US networks (I suspect Syfy might have been number one on his list) so there might not have been any "catch up" if a US network had bitten. Or they would have destroyed it with endless "notes" to the producers. biggrin.gif
post #299 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 299
So for us veterans who have already seen the first 10 eps, has there been a date posted when the second 13 will start airing?
post #300 of 738 Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 247
Showcase will start airing season 2 in April.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page