Continuum on SHOWCASE (Canada) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys the step brother cant be Kagame. This has already been established in the episode where they try and kill Kiera's grandmother. Remember?

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Let me help you with that tongue.gif

OK, that's better.
The way they have her "made up" in this series does her no favors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

Guys the step brother cant be Kagame. This has already been established in the episode where they try and kill Kiera's grandmother. Remember?
Of course we don't.....everyone around here is old.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #363 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
It seems obvious that step-bro will be Kagami, but the age difference between him and Smoking Man is extreme by looking at it. I checked IMDB and Amendola (Kagami) doesn't have his birth listed, but he graduated college in '74. That makes him born in the early fifties. SM was born in '38. Maybe we're not supposed to notice.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #364 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

It seems obvious that step-bro will be Kagami, but the age difference between him and Smoking Man is extreme by looking at it. I checked IMDB and Amendola (Kagami) doesn't have his birth listed, but he graduated college in '74. That makes him born in the early fifties. SM was born in '38. Maybe we're not supposed to notice.

The age thing, yes. But Julian can't be Kagami because, as correctly pointed out above, we've already seen Kagami's mother. And it ain't Julian and Alex's mom Ann. I forgot that too. redface.gif

Of all the characters we've seen thus far, only Alec spans the two time periods.
post #365 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
post #366 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The age thing, yes. But Julian can't be Kagami because, as correctly pointed out above, we've already seen Kagami's mother. And it ain't Julian and Alex's mom Ann. I forgot that too. redface.gif

Of all the characters we've seen thus far, only Alec spans the two time periods.

I remember the grandmother episode, but it was one of the first I saw and was pretty lost. Don't know what you mean by "Julian and Alec's mom," they're step brothers I thought? Mom is Alec's mom.

I'll take everyone's word for it though smile.gif But Julian has to be somebody, right?

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #367 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I remember the grandmother episode, but it was one of the first I saw and was pretty lost. Don't know what you mean by "Julian and Alec's mom," they're step brothers I thought? Mom is Alec's mom.

Alec and Julian share the same mother, different fathers.
post #368 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

I'll take everyone's word for it though smile.gif But Julian has to be somebody, right?

Just don't miss the damn finale biggrin.gif
post #369 of 746 Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well you just blew my mind. Maybe with the second season I can try watching them in order, it might make more sense that way smile.gif

Quote:

Just don't miss the damn finale biggrin.gif

I'm on it!

post #370 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

And when was that established? As I recall, step-dad and step-bro were relatively recent additions to "the farm," after the step dad lost his own farm.

Maybe I missed something in the "fine print?"
post #371 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Quote:

It needs to malfunction a little lower. What this shows needs is a little more Nichols cleavage. And I like that theory.

I just found it amusing that the production crew felt the need to go there. And exactly how does the suit do it's "invisibility" trick with said "malfunctioning" zipper ... not to mention the lack of head covering.
post #372 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

I just found it amusing that the production crew felt the need to go there. And exactly how does the suit do it's "invisibility" trick with said "malfunctioning" zipper ... not to mention the lack of head covering.
It's simple: magic.wink.gifbiggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #373 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. The only thing Alec and Julian have in common is that their respective mother and dad are married. Its' a reconstituted family. Ann is not Julian's mom.
post #374 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No. The only thing Alec and Julian have in common is that their respective mother and dad are married. Its' a reconstituted family. Ann is not Julian's mom.

Really? My bad. redface.gif

Guess that does leave open the possibility for Julian to grow up to be Kagami. That acne problem better kick in soon, though.
post #375 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? My bad. redface.gif

I guess that's what makes them step-brothers, as repeatedly stated in the show, and not half-brothers. wink.giftongue.gif
post #376 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess that does leave open the possibility for Julian to grow up to be Kagami.

I won't say a word about that one... watch the fi...ahh nevermind wink.gif
post #377 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 177
It would be nice if the second season is in scope. That would be pretty bold and I would be afraid Syfy would crop it. Channel 4's "Utopia" was done in scope. The show needs that kind of canvas.
post #378 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

It would be nice if the second season is in scope. That would be pretty bold and I would be afraid Syfy would crop it. Channel 4's "Utopia" was done in scope. The show needs that kind of canvas.
That would be really nice, but I think it will be a very cold day indeed before Syfy would try something like that.also displayed in s

C4's "The Fear" was also in scope.
post #379 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked: 14
maybe scifi needs to go premium also add in chiller and make it scifi 2
post #380 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Abandoning the drab procedural filler and embracing a fully serialised storyline would be a far more "bold" move than changing the show's aspect ratio.
post #381 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Abandoning the drab procedural filler and embracing a fully serialised storyline would be a far more "bold" move than changing the show's aspect ratio.

I'm not sure there's really that pronounced a procedural element. Each week builds on the Liber8 scheme, especially now that Kagami's here calling the shots. While I agree that a fully serialized storyline gives the biggest payoff for the committed viewer, and nobody hates procedurals more than me, I don't think I'd call this even a 50/50 mix. More like 80/20, serial. What percentage would you give it?
post #382 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is that most episodes play out like typical crime dramas, except that the perpetrator doesn't change from episode to episode. Kiera thwarts a different Liber8 plot in each one, and while the group's plans may become clearer over time, individual episodes have the same structure of getting called to investigate a crime, finding out Liber8 is behind it, and stopping them. The show would be better if it relied more on science-fiction elements, rather than police procedurals. As it stands, being from the future only means that Kiera gets to shoot a fancy gun now and then or use her suit to pull off a stunt, so the scifi elements in Continuum feel like halfhearted additions designed to differentiate it from the slew of other crime dramas, rather than the show's backbone.
post #383 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

More like 80/20, serial.

That's how I see it too.
post #384 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's pretty heavy on the procedural, but it's clever (or maybe lazy) writing. Lets them get a show out with less work because the procedural stuff can be "auto-written" to coin a phrase.

post #385 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The problem is that most episodes play out like typical crime dramas, except that the perpetrator doesn't change from episode to episode. Kiera thwarts a different Liber8 plot in each one, and while the group's plans may become clearer over time, individual episodes have the same structure of getting called to investigate a crime, finding out Liber8 is behind it, and stopping them. The show would be better if it relied more on science-fiction elements, rather than police procedurals. As it stands, being from the future only means that Kiera gets to shoot a fancy gun now and then or use her suit to pull off a stunt, so the scifi elements in Continuum feel like halfhearted additions designed to differentiate it from the slew of other crime dramas, rather than the show's backbone.

I agree. The only real sci-fi we get is the opening scene which usually involves an episode of Kiera's cop life leading to an element or reveal which figures into the plot of this time period. I understand that. That's what makes the show affordable to make, I guess.

I don't know when or if we'll get another show like BSG which had such a huge amount of space battles and other expensive CGI effects depicting cool, futuristic events. These shows have budgets. But if 'Continuum' is an international ratings success and they're getting a decent check from Syfy for broadcast rights to supplement the production costs, maybe the second season can spend a little more time in Kiera's time, with the bump in production design that would require. I'd like that.
post #386 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Science fiction doesn't have to be about CGI space battles. Military science fiction can go that route, but science fiction can also act as a backdrop to let writers ask questions about aspects of society that would normally be taboo, which shows like Star Trek did on a regular basis without expensive visual effects. The premise of Continuum is rife with opportunities for doing the same thing, but its problem thus far is that it is barely scraping the surface of what science fiction can offer as an entertainment genre, which makes it seem hollow compared to its predecessors.
post #387 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Science fiction doesn't have to be about CGI space battles. Military science fiction can go that route, but science fiction can also act as a backdrop to let writers ask questions about aspects of society that would normally be taboo, which shows like Star Trek did on a regular basis without expensive visual effects.

+100. In that regard, one of the most interesting characters in Continuum is Kellogg imo. I hope we'll continue to learn more of him season 2.
post #388 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+100. In that regard, one of the most interesting characters in Continuum is Kellogg imo. I hope we'll continue to learn more of him season 2.

One of the most intriguing characters, and probably the best actor in the ensemble IMO. I want to see more of him as well. Looks like Kiera and he might be hooking up anyways.
post #389 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Science fiction doesn't have to be about CGI space battles. Military science fiction can go that route, but science fiction can also act as a backdrop to let writers ask questions about aspects of society that would normally be taboo, which shows like Star Trek did on a regular basis without expensive visual effects. The premise of Continuum is rife with opportunities for doing the same thing, but its problem thus far is that it is barely scraping the surface of what science fiction can offer as an entertainment genre, which makes it seem hollow compared to its predecessors.

Well said. Although I'm a science guy, the CGI space battles were the least interesting aspect of BSG to me. Continuum has had its ups and downs for me but it is an interesting story. I do enjoy the flashes of future tech but if that was the major content, I'd lose interest.
post #390 of 746 Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Well said. Although I'm a space science guy, the CGI space battles were the least interesting aspect of BSG to me. Continuum has had its ups and downs for me but it is an interesting story. I do enjoy the flashes of future tech but if that was the major content, I'd lose interest.
Reply HDTV Programming