post #631 of 740 Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Could the whole thing be a joke on us viewers? Liber8 and Julian/Theseus are the good guys and the corps/government the villains here?

I've suspected that that was the showrunners' intent from the beginning. Just look at the "court" scene at the start of the episode, where a "criminal" is essentially executed for defaulting on her loans. It's a social commentary on what the corporations would do if government didn't put limits on them, at least as far as the writers are concerned.
Quote:

Maybe I have to review that segment again- but it seems that turning the workers implants off killed them?

Yes, but the episode's scenes also led us to believe that once the workers get implanted, they become Borg drones and are beyond saving, thus Theseus is "putting them out of their misery", at least in his eyes, as well as saving other people from becoming like them. Did you notice that the chip the drone was manufacturing had a Sadtech logo on it? Apparently Julian lives on to throw wrenches into Alec's plans for world domination through technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

This episode was more groundwork for the Thesus character to connect the future to the past. I didn't see it as filler at all.

Neither did I. If anything, I thought it was the best episode of the series to date. I particularly liked the way Lucas pretended to be insane to manipulate Julian into doing what he wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

If she gets stuck in this timeline, she'll be about that age, and maybe a victim of the corporations...

That's a good point; now that history has changed, she could very well still be alive at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

And how did Escher suddenly come out of the "shadows" to be able to take over that police unit? I may have to go back and watch a few of the previous episodes as I feel as if I'm missing some linkage here.

No, I think the writing has just been a bit sloppy. I feel like the entire Escher thing has come out of the blue this season, and everything related to him isn't very well explained. Creating a sense of mystery is one thing, but it doesn't work when you feel like you're missing something the entire time. Not only do we not know how he's suddenly gained the autonomy to be taking such bold moves, but we don't know how much he's told Dillon. I suspect he just manipulated Dillon, since Dillon was desperate to get his old job back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 740 Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

This episode felt like a filler, not much progress, and I didn't recognized Kira at all, it seems she become evil then at the end back to being herself, realizing that maybe the torture she just did will create the monster on the future.

Maybe I din't pay much attention was Kira the worker on that corporation,?

Where was her inbuilt shrink while she was torturing and about to shoot him?
post #633 of 740 Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I think the shrink is only for suicide thoughts, when she attempts to harm herself it will appear

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #634 of 740 Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I've suspected that that was the showrunners' intent from the beginning. Just look at the "court" scene at the start of the episode, where a "criminal" is essentially executed for defaulting on her loans. It's a social commentary on what the corporations would do if government didn't put limits on them, at least as far as the writers are concerned.
Exactly, all the way back to the first season, when Carlos complains about the phone system at work and Keira says(paraphrasing) "just wait until the phone companies are the govt", something to that effect. I think it was probably the 3rd or 4th episode. This is why many of us had concern about Syfy involvement in the show as it has a strong anti-corporation theme running through it.
Quote:
No, I think the writing has just been a bit sloppy. I feel like the entire Escher thing has come out of the blue this season, and everything related to him isn't very well explained. Creating a sense of mystery is one thing, but it doesn't work when you feel like you're missing something the entire time. Not only do we not know how he's suddenly gained the autonomy to be taking such bold moves, but we don't know how much he's told Dillon. I suspect he just manipulated Dillon, since Dillon was desperate to get his old job back.
I think you're right that Escher is just manipulating Dillon, OTOH, Dillon acts as if he has been brainwashed, he stormed into that office and started issuing commands without any moral restrictions.

In fact, I thought Keira acted somewhat out of character this episode. Yes, what Julian ends up doing causes harm to her family, but still... The writing for this episode as a whole seemed off kilter, at the same time though it was quite illuminating of the larger picture of the story.
post #635 of 740 Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Kiera was a bit out of character with how far she went with Julian, but I also thought the episode gave us some insight into her character and the biases which control her. She wasn't entirely truthful with Carlos, after all: she said that Julian was responsible for murding tens of thousands of people, but she conveniently left out that the people Julian killed were mindless factory drones that were beyond saving, and that he did it to prevent the factory drones from making the chips necessary to create more drones. The context is rather important, but Kiera is obviously still firmly entrenched in her anti-Liber8 stance.
post #636 of 740 Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Did I miss an episode where Lucas was experimenting with mushrooms? Are we supposed to know what's causing his hallucinations?
post #637 of 740 Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Did I miss an episode where Lucas was experimenting with mushrooms? Are we supposed to know what's causing his hallucinations?
I wondered that also, now it makes me wonder if he really did "see" Kagami when he told Julian to go where ever it was he sent him in the last episode. Just some more disjointed writing, something I hope doesn't continue.
post #638 of 740 Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know why but I fell asleep on the last two episodes, maybe I was too tired? or I don't know what's going on..

post #639 of 740 Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The last one kind of sucked, but the previous one was one of the best yet, IMO.
post #640 of 740 Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I still feel like the explanation for Lucas's insanity came a bit late, but perhaps this opens up interesting possibilities for the other time travellers as the series progresses. I expect Kiera is going to suffer from "temporal displacement" (or whatever she called it) in a later episode, and Alec is going to have to find a way to keep her from becoming Lucas's next door padded-cell mate.
post #641 of 740 Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It is also very possible that "temporal displacement" doesn't affect everyone.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #642 of 740 Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 186
An interesting episode...
Lucas is clearly nuts, if I was on of his fellow travelers- I'd be a bit concerned too. OTOH- it was nice to see Kagame again!

The whole idea of Pyron funding the Police Department is a very slippery slope to negotiate. It's basically what Liber8 has been warning about- corporations running the government. It seems only Carlos and Betty see the red flags...

So the setup of Travis and Sonia by the new mayor elect failed... I'd hate to be him eek.gif

Now that Alec has all the slivers of the time travel device- what does he do with it?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #643 of 740 Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

They almost had me, for a second I thought Travis was going to kill Sonia, I'm glad he didn't and joined up against the new Mayor..

post #644 of 740 Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think last few eps before ep 10-11, it got more Julian, future story focused was sloppy. The last ep felt important again.

Martin is dangerous fool for one reason, his so called setup united Liber8 factions with the most dangerous Liber8 soldiers in Sonya, Travis.

I hope Alec becomes truly great on his own and stops being used all the time. He is dangerously naive to ever become a man who can change the world.
post #645 of 740 Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 12
Next Sunday, August 04, is the last episode of the season.
post #646 of 740 Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Talk about taking the easy way out. Instead of forcing Alec and Emily/Maya to figure out how to deal with their relationship, they just kill her to give Alec a reason to abandon his idealism. I was expecting her to die from the moment Escher's men showed up, but it's still pretty disappointing to waste her character to fulfill a women in refrigerators trope. I'd like to think that Alec would use the sphere to go back and save her, but I'm not expecting any Omega 13 moments in next week's finale, either. At least the tension in this episode was high, even if the conclusion was a letdown.
post #647 of 740 Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it should be interesting to see where the Alec/Escher meeting goes....
The mere fact that he's meeting w/Escher indicates that he knows Escher is responsible for his gf's death.
As far as Alec using the egg to go back and save Emily- hopefully he's seen The Butterfly Effect and thinks twice before going down that path.

It was fun watching Travis putting a beating on Kellog- Travis is a loose cannon on the deck- he's clearly a bit off and very unpredictable.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #648 of 740 Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I didn't think those were Escher's men. I thought they were freelancers.

Never signs up for anything
post #649 of 740 Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

I thought Escher was the head of the freelancers, he's got the mark on his hand, I'm pretty sure those were his men.
post #650 of 740 Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought Escher was the head of the freelancers, he's got the mark on his hand, I'm pretty sure those were his men.

As far as I can tell, that's correct. Escher seems to have set himself up as the lead/most powerful freelancer. None of the others have their own minions or enough money to be buying smaller companies.
post #651 of 740 Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The confusing part is we have four different agendas running concurrently on Continuum...

-The Protector wants to keep things status quo so the future she hopefully returns to will be the same one she came from.

-Kellog wants power and money.

-Liber8 wants to change the future.

-Escher/Freelancers-control?

post #652 of 740 Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

The confusing part is we have four different agendas running concurrently on Continuum...

-The Protector wants to keep things status quo so the future she hopefully returns to will be the same one she came from.

-Kellog wants power and money.

-Liber8 wants to change the future.

-Escher/Freelancers-control?

I think it is even more confusing.

Liber8 is
- on one hand the prisoners from the future
- on the other hand Julian and his folks

Kellog, what is his long term agenda?

Escher and Freelanders are the same? What is their agenda?

And what is/was/will be the agenda of (original) future Alec?

And who is behind the funding of Dillon?
post #653 of 740 Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Dillon was being funded by Escher? When he came back, he said that Escher's corporation was going to solve the department's monetary problems, which gave him the authority to kick out the woman who replaced him earlier in the season.

In the original timeline, it seems that Julian and his crowd were the inspiration for Liber8, since Julian was old and incarcerated by the time Kagame and his cohorts were in play. Now that Liber8 has gone back in time and can interact with Julian during the foundation of his anti-corporation movement, things are getting muddled as to who is influencing whom.
post #654 of 740 Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought Dillon was being funded by Escher? When he came back, he said that Escher's corporation was going to solve the department's monetary problems, which gave him the authority to kick out the woman who replaced him earlier in the season.
Yes- Escher is partially funding the police dept... which is exactly what liber8 is warning people about.

post #655 of 740 Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes- Escher is partially funding the police dept... which is exactly what liber8 is warning people about.

...which furthers the sense of confusion about who's on which side. The freelancers seem intent on preventing Alec from inventing all of his stalkerish tech that controls people's lives in 2077, which would make them seem complicit with Liber8, yet Escher is engaging in the same activities as the corporate congress. Perhaps Escher just wants to replace Alec as the future Canadian overlord.
post #656 of 740 Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just caught up on this and I am not seeing this in real time, so no idea what happened in the finale tonight, but:
I wonder if Escher is Alec's son or grandson from on down the line...
Even trickier is if that timeline was from a different 2077 than Kiera's...

v/r,
C-F
post #657 of 740 Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 AM

Liked: 10
Escher is Alex father and not actually from the future. The finale showed Sadler family tree being Escher father, Alex son and Jason Alex's son and grandson to Escher.

I thought it was a great finale that explained alot. Showed how powerful the freelancers are putting all the time travelers caged.

Confusing with a new timeline that Alex went back to save Emily. Will he fight with Freelancers now? Are freelancers from 2077 or are them from other time and can travel back to correct timelines, continuums?

Will season 3 be about the new timeline and go back to just before Emily died? I hope it changes Alex to become more focused, more control now that he knows who all sides are.
post #658 of 740 Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dunham View Post

I thought it was a great finale that explained alot. Showed how powerful the freelancers are putting all the time travelers caged.
+1 very well done finale!
My only complaint is that it wasn't a double episode biggrin.gif

The thing is- we assume Alec went back in time to save Emily- for all we know he could have gone forward to make "corrections" too.

Carlos is now siding with Julian? What a mess!

post #659 of 740 Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I assume that we are done with that timeline for a bit, and will follow Alec to the new timeline, where he will interact with that timeline's versions of all the characters? While getting chased by the freelancers who want him to stop trying to alter the continuum? We then also get into the whole two versions of a person in the same timeline problems if he goes back to save Emily? There is so much potential to where they can go with it next season.
post #660 of 740 Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
man that was good
heh the writers just opened up a whole can of possibilities, nicely done.
Reply HDTV Programming