Continuum on SHOWCASE (Canada) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 738 Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Well if Syfi is just purchasing re-transmission rights, then they really shouldn't have much input as to the creative aspects of the show- other than maybe some prohibitions on coarse language for US TV.
Now if they fork over some serious cash- they'd feel entitled to more creative control- lets all hope that doesn't happen:eek:

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 738 Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Ouch... Charlie Jade only did one season and judging by the youtube trailer of it didn't look that great....

Trust those who have seen it, and we're nearly unanimous - it was very good. Like any other TV series it had its strong and not-so-strong episodes, but the overall story arc was clever, compelling and often thrilling. Some really great performances as well, many from South African actors you've never heard of as well as a couple of Americans you probably have. My suggestion? It's available from Amazon. Watch it yourself on a region-free DVD player (many of them can be hacked to play R-0 disks).

I doubt you'd be disappointed. As a bonus, you'll get to see a much better presentation (native 16x9 and DD5.1) than when it ran at 2:00 AM on the Sci-Fi channel.
post #183 of 738 Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Syfy will do fine and its a better fit than any of the other so called networks. They have not ruined MERLIN nor touched LOST GIRL. Charlie Jade had more problems than just being on Syfy, like next to no one watched the two weeks it had a better timeslot and It did not help that it took the show 8 or 9 episodes to really get going as well.

Continuum is good but it could be nitpicked to death and probaly will be when the naysayers that frequent the SF type show threads start viewing.

Argee
post #184 of 738 Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Charlie Jade is also available on Netflix WI:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Charlie_Jade/70217322

I've rewatched some of the first few episodes and seem to recall the Sci-Fi version to have been edited different in an annoying way.

Simon Baker originally pitched "Continuum" to US networks and I suspect one was Syfy. They passed.
post #185 of 738 Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Continuum is good but it could be nitpicked to death and probably will be when the naysayers that frequent the SF type show threads start viewing.
Oh you mean the crew from Falling Skies thread will tune in to Continuum....eek.gif

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #186 of 738 Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Syfy nearing pick-up of Canadian series Continuum

This weekend fans of the Canadian science fiction series Continuum celebrated the news that broadcaster Showcase will be bringing the series back for a second season … and is close to a deal with an unnamed broadcaster to bring the show to the U.S. (story).

Cue Monday morning, and Deadline reports that broadcaster is … Syfy Channel.

It’s an obvious home for the drama, which drew record viewership to the Canadian channel over its 10-episode run this spring. Syfy also airs Showcase’s fantasy series Lost Girl in the States.

Syfy U.K. has already picked up Continuum, according to Deadline.

Continuum tells the story of a cop from the future (Rachel Nichols) who is sent back in time, where she must stop a group of fanatical terrorists from changing the future as she knows it. With the show set in and filmed in Vancouver several familiar Stargate faces appear, including Tony Amendola (“Bra’tac”), Jennifer Spence (“Lisa Park”), and Lexa Doig (“Carolyn Lam”).

If the U.S. network treats the series like it did Lost Girl this year, expect the first two seasons to air in rapid succession in 2013, in order to catch up.

Season Two of Continuum is expected to premiere next spring in Canada, with a boosted order of 13 episodes
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2012/08/syfy-nearing-pick-up-of-canadian-series-continuum/
post #187 of 738 Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Can't wait to see this in all it's 65" HD Gloriousness!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #188 of 738 Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Great news....

They have killed off (or incarcerated in Julian's case) a lot of cast members this first season- so i guess we'll see some new faces in season two!

post #189 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Why... the @#$% would you do something assine insane right after picking up a show.... O.o

Well... there is Episodes (sho)...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #190 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

Why... the @#$% would you do something assine insane right after picking up a show.... O.o

I msut ahve missed something what was assine about what they did???Becasue they sold the re-broadcast rights as most other shows do? I dont get it, if anything this would help the show....
post #191 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pardon??

What is insane?

post #192 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

?? Wait to season two and play them back to back?
I'm lost Hos.
post #193 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Quote:

Pardon??

What is insane?

Syfy will hold off airing season 1 until next year, so they can run both season 1 & 2 back to back, synching up with Showcase's debut of season 2, in order to avoiding the lag time for both countries.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #194 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because you have this thing called "budgets" at networks and shows are bought months in advance. They have agreements for shows that they can't just drop and put a show like "Continuum" in it's place. It had to fit in the schedule where they had room. Kinda tells you how far in advance they plan and what kind of slack they have for future schedules. At least they aren't waiting as long as they did for "Lost Girl."
post #195 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They're already established characters, now they bring in new ones and have to start all over to establish the current story line in season two... ?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #196 of 738 Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

They're already established characters, now they bring in new ones and have to start all over to establish the current story line in season two... ?

Let's hope not ...

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #197 of 738 Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

Why would they start over? They havent killed off the lead and her story is still unfinished. The characters that died had a "closed" storyline, unless we were watching two different shows I dont see any issues with what they have done...
post #198 of 738 Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Why would they start over? They havent killed off the lead and her story is still unfinished. The characters that died had a "closed" storyline, unless we were watching two different shows I dont see any issues with what they have done...
+1
I wish they hadn't killed off Kagame- he was an interesting character.
Julian is in prison- so we may see him again.
The step-dad is dead- not really a big impact there.
A few of the Liber8 gang are dead- but we're not really sure about Travis... we may see him again too.

"Freelancers" (ppl who traveled back from 2077 for personal gain) have been also mentioned, and some unknown benefactor who got the feds off Kiera's back- obviously he\she's? got an agenda..
Then there was the ultimate cliff hanger last words from the final episode of season one when Alex tells Kiera that he sent her back from the future- "and you'll never guess why...." fade to black.
So there's plenty of legs left in this series... glad they bumped season 2 up to 13 episodes smile.gif

post #199 of 738 Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't say they have "killed off" Kagame. They probably are going to follow the development of his career as he grows up in forward flashes and more scenes that lead up to 2076. I'm suspecting something very key about those building blown up. wink.gif
post #200 of 738 Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 377
From the NBC/UNI Media Village site,
Quote:
November 12, 2012
SYFY WILL PREMIERE NEW ORIGINAL SERIES CONTINUUM MONDAY, JANUARY 14 AT 8PM

TIME TRAVELING POLICE DRAMA IS CANADA'S HIGHEST-RATED SCRIPTED BASIC CABLE SERIES

NEW YORK – November 12, 2012 – Joining recent original series acquisitions such as the hit Lost Girl and the upcoming Primeval: New World and Sinbad, Syfy today announced it will premiere the time traveling police drama Continuum – Canada’s highest-rated scripted basic cable series – beginning Monday, January 14 at 8PM (ET/PT).

Continuum stars Rachel Nichols (Criminal Minds, Alias) as Kiera Cameron, a cop from the future who finds herself trapped in the present day. When a group of fanatical terrorists escapes their planned execution in 2077 by vaulting back in time to 2012, they inadvertently sweep along Kiera, a dedicated City Protective Services officer.

With unexpected assistance from teen tech genius Alec Sadler, played by Erik Knudsen (Jericho, Scream 4), Kiera infiltrates the local police department and forms an uneasy alliance with her new partner, detective Carlos Fonnegra, portrayed by Victor Webster (Castle, Melrose Place). Though desperate to get back to her husband and son, Kiera concentrates on bringing down the terrorists before they change the course of history.

The January 14 premiere of Continuum will lead into the third season premieres of Syfy’s hit series Being Human at 9PM and Lost Girl at 10PM.

Executive producers of Continuum are Simon Barry (The Art of War), Jeff King (Stargate SG-1, White Collar), Tom Rowe (Tin Man), Pat Williams (Smallville), and Reunion Pictures. Writer: Simon Barry. Director: Jon Cassar (24, Terra Nova).

In addition to the first two seasons for on-air, Syfy has also acquired the U.S. home entertainment rights to Continuum. Universal Studios Home Entertainment will handle the DVD distribution and are targeting a DVD release shortly after the season finale on Syfy.

Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 98 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)

Gary Morgenstein
212-664-6407
gary.morgenstein@nbcuni.com

Stephen Cox
212-664-4639
stephen.cox@nbcuni.com
post #201 of 738 Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's good news for us existing fans- more eyeballs= more ad money = more episodes..

post #202 of 738 Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for that Keenan!!!!

Can't wait to see it on the big screen:D

post #203 of 738 Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Well, that's good news for us existing fans- more eyeballs= more ad money = more episodes..

Not really. SyFy pays a flat fee per episode.

Actually, ad $$$ do not go directly toward any TV series. Networks pay a license fee for the shows they air. All ad $$$ go into the coffers of the network that airs the series.

So, production studios want to license as many countries as possible.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #204 of 738 Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Thanks for that Keenan!!!!
Can't wait to see it on the big screen:D

Ugh! Watching via SyFy will suck. Large bug and even larger snipes.

Watching a clean 720p, or 1080p, version is many times better.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #205 of 738 Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

WOOT WOOT!!!

Continuum Gets Renewed for Season Two!

Showcase announces the renewal of its #1 series that swept the nation this summer, Continuum. The phenomenally successful series will begin production on its 13 episode season two order in 2013.

Continuum debuted on Showcase to an audience of over 1 million viewers (2+), shattering all previous premiere records on the network, making it the #1 specialty series of the summer. Boosting Showcase’s viewership by indexing 117% for A25-54 and 123% for A18-49 versus last summer, Continuum averaged #1 on Sundays, dominating its timeslot (9p-10p) across all key demos. The epic first season concluded with the most-watched finale in Showcase history.*

“Continuum was a tremendous success for the channel,” said Barbara Williams, Senior Vice President, Content, Shaw Media. “We are proud to green light such a prolific ratings hit and original series for a second season, and to continue Kiera’s journey through time for our dedicated viewers.”

In the season finale titled ”Endtimes,” Kiera raced against the clock trying to prevent a Liber8 bombing, which ultimately killed hundreds of innocent people. The shocking twist led to an explosive finale leaving many lingering questions. In the search for answers, fans continue to flock to the Continuum social networks to sound off. Since the premiere, there have been over one million page views at showcase.ca/continuum, making it the most visited show site of all time, and averaged over 10,000 Get Glue check-ins per new episode. Boasting over 630,000 video views, fans can catch up on the entire first season of Continuum at showcase.ca/video.

Continuum is a one-hour police drama centered on Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols), a cop from the year 2077 who finds herself trapped in present day Vancouver, searching for convicted criminals from the future, known as Liber8. With unexpected assistance from teen tech genius Alec Sadler (Erik Knudsen), Kiera concentrates on bringing down the terrorists before they can change the course of history forever. Impersonating a local law enforcement officer to expedite her investigation, she forms an uneasy alliance with her new partner, detective Carlos Fonnegra (Victor Webster).

Filmed on location in Vancouver, Continuum is developed and produced by Reunion Pictures in association with Shaw Media.
post #206 of 738 Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Looking forward to finally seeing this! smile.gif

At last, a reason to tune back into the inappropriately named Syfy Channel. rolleyes.gif
post #207 of 738 Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Looking forward to finally seeing this! smile.gif
At last, a reason to tune back into the inappropriately named Syfy Channel. rolleyes.gif

There have been a few ways to see this series, commercial free, snipe free and bug free, complete with real closing credits. Watching it via SyFy will be sucky: commercials, snipes, bug and messed up closing credits. Their commercials and promos are easy to get rid of, but the snipes and bugs are burned into the program.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #208 of 738 Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

But at least it will be seen here state side. I know people who will only watch it on TV and no other way. THis will give the show to reach more and hopfully continue for years to come.
post #209 of 738 Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Getting close for the US premier of Continuum, on SYFY- January 14th!biggrin.gif

post #210 of 738 Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have seen it any easy to way to ghost view it / ghost drv it to get the ratings up.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page