'Hatfields & McCoys' on History Channel HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Has anyone started watching this mini series? Watched first of 3 last nite, high body count so far...
http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It was sorta OK. Started off pretty well, then it switched to a Romeo & Juliet love story and it got really conventional. Plus it slowed down. If all this romance business was historically accurate, then fine. If not, Boo.

CW Hinkle
post #3 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

It was sorta OK. Started off pretty well, then it switched to a Romeo & Juliet love story and it got really conventional. Plus it slowed down. If all this romance business was historically accurate, then fine. If not, Boo.

The relationship, including the pregnancy, between Roseanna and Johnse is accurate....

Bobby 

post #4 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Should the thread title reflect what TV Channel it's on?

I watched the first hour of Episode 1. It was 'OK', I guess it's not my type of TV Programming.
post #5 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks guys. I am DVRing it so I can watch later (or not).

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #6 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The first two hours were very historically accurate, including the pregnancy and what ultimately happens to the relationship. Since I'm a history buff, I was pleasantly surprised at the detail in the "movie" thus far. Of course, I would expect nothing less from Kevin Costner.

You would think a "feud" such a this one that lasted so long would have pretty much equal casualties on both sides. However, I think you will be surprised at the body count when everything is all added up.

By the way, Hatfields & McCoys airs on the History Channel. I highly recommend it.
post #7 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I'm enjoying this so far. I've never thought of Costner or Paxton as exceedingly stellar actors, but their performances here are excellent--as is most of the actors in this series.
post #8 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
historically accurate = history channel?

well that's an oxymoron for you.

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

The title of the thread mentions its on the History Channel HD, the link brings you to the History Channel website for the show.
Last nites episode set a record for the most-watched, non-sports show on ad-supported cable TV. 13.9 million viewers!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz1wJ2r9QFv

post #10 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11 of 48 Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Being from WV and familiar with the story, gotta say, I'm really liking it so far after EP 1.
post #12 of 48 Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 279
We watched the first episode last night and I thought it was excellent. Some very good performances, especially from Costner, Paxton, and Berenger. I had no idea McCoy was so religious and that it was the initial driving force behind a lot of his hate for Hatfield when he deserted.

My DVR cut off the last 2 minutes, fortunately we finished a half hour before the replay had concluded so I set the timer for it. I have padded my other recordings just in case.
post #13 of 48 Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

My U-Verse guide says 9:00 - 11:05 each night.
post #14 of 48 Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

Being from WV and familiar with the story, gotta say, I'm really liking it so far after EP 1.

Me too. I'm from a small town near Beckley, where the outdoor drama "Hatfields & McCoy's" has been playing for 50 years or more. They used to alternate nights with "Honey in the Rock" which dramatized the story of the creation of the state of WV. I must have seen each one half a dozen times growing up. This production is, of course, far more ambitious. Good stuff!
post #15 of 48 Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Me too. I'm from a small town near Beckley, where the outdoor drama "Hatfields & McCoy's" has been playing for 50 years or more. They used to alternate nights with "Honey in the Rock" which dramatized the story of the creation of the state of WV. I must have seen each one half a dozen times growing up. This production is, of course, far more ambitious. Good stuff!

I'm from Hinton and lived in Beckley for a couple years. Saw H&M's there and it seems I saw Honey in the Rock as well. I can't recall where the theater was, was it in Beaver?
post #16 of 48 Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

I'm from Hinton and lived in Beckley for a couple years. Saw H&M's there and it seems I saw Honey in the Rock as well. I can't recall where the theater was, was it in Beaver?

Grandview State Park, right outside Beckley. "Honey in the Rock" has been performed there continuously in the summers since 1961, "Hatfields & McCoys" since 1970. They've expanded their repertoire in recent years and now perform other shows as well (see referenced link). Sitting in that amphitheater on a clear, starlit night -- it's magical!

Grandview is gorgeous (WV has a terrific state park system, the state's crown jewel). For anyone looking for a different sort of vacation this summer, I can't recommend it too highly.
post #17 of 48 Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

That's right! Grandview. WV is an awesome state. I absolutely loved growing up there. I graduated from College of WV (now Mountain State University) in '95 and moved to Nashville in '97. I now live in High Point, NC. Good to see a fellow Mountaineer from my neck of the woods.
post #18 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Watched the 1st episode tonight. I was curious and what I read here made it sound intriging. Agree it was excellent. Is it accurate? Its funny how anyone living in this country knows the names Hatfield and McCoy without knowing anything really about the feud. I admit my ignorance-its one of those historical tales everybody thinks they know but when pressed can only come up with a vague idea of it being something like Romeo and Juliet, and lasted a long time. I'm finding the series fascinating entertainment, just wondering how much of it is fact.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #19 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Watched the 1st episode tonight. I was curious and what I read here made it sound intriging. Agree it was excellent. Is it accurate? Its funny how anyone living in this country knows the names Hatfield and McCoy without knowing anything really about the feud. I admit my ignorance-its one of those historical tales everybody thinks they know but when pressed can only come up with a vague idea of it being something like Romeo and Juliet, and lasted a long time. I'm finding the series fascinating entertainment, just wondering how much of it is fact.

There are many links to the feud on-line, including a good Wikipedia article that is very detailed. The Romeo & Juliet aspect is what many people think about, but it was really a minor part of the story and didn't really have much (if anything) to do with the feud.
post #20 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is surprising that only 13 people were killed, 8 jailed and 1 hanged during the feud. Agreed, nice write up on Wikipedia about the feud.. great finale but how did Cosners son marry for the 2nd time while still married to the blonde?

post #21 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

It is surprising that only 13 people were killed, 8 jailed and 1 hanged during the feud. Agreed, nice write up on Wikipedia about the feud.. great finale but how did Cosners son marry for the 2nd time while still married to the blonde?

He was never married to Roseanne, he simply made her pregnant. He wanted to marry her but his family forbade it.....

Bobby 

post #22 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

There are many links to the feud on-line, including a good Wikipedia article that is very detailed. The Romeo & Juliet aspect is what many people think about, but it was really a minor part of the story and didn't really have much (if anything) to do with the feud.

Yeah, I could do that, but now that I'm watching it I prefer to get my info from the series. I just wanted to know if I can believe it And I wasn't saying the romance was the important part of the feud, only that it was about all a northern midwest boy was told about it in school when I was growing up. That, and those southern guys sure could hold a grudge...almost like the whole thing was more amusing than a life or death struggle.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #23 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Yeah, I could do that, but now that I'm watching it I prefer to get my info from the series. I just wanted to know if I can believe it And I wasn't saying the romance was the important part of the feud, only that it was about all a northern midwest boy was told about it in school when I was growing up. That, and those southern guys sure could hold a grudge...almost like the whole thing was more amusing than a life or death struggle.

I guess I never really thought of eastern Kentucky and southwest West Virginia as being in the south (although most of them did fight for the Confederacy).

That was a tough area of the country back in the late 1800's and early 1900's considering the Hatfield/McCoy feud and the Matewan Coal Mining Massacre of 1920. Pikeville, KY is just across the state line and figured prominently in both stories. But that's another story for another time. However, if you liked Hatfields & McCoys, you might also like the movie, Matewan.
post #24 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Why is this censored??? Or was it just the earlier showing of the ep1 rerun? (missed the first night)
post #25 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From The Los Angeles Times
Quote:
"'Hatfields & McCoys': Just how hot were those record ratings?

Hatfields & McCoys” fired off its last rounds with another ratings record. But it was nothin' compared with the old days of broadcast TV.

History’s three-part miniseries about the 19th century clan feud starring Kevin Costner, Tom Berenger and Bill Paxton drew 14.3 million total viewers for its final episode Wednesday, making it the most-watched scripted entertainment program in the history of basic cable TV, according to Nielsen.

In fact, all three parts of the miniseries now occupy the Top 3 spots in the cable record books. Monday’s premiere drew 13.9 million, while Tuesday’s middle chapter gathered a clan of 13.1 million.

Cable networks such as HBO now dominate miniseries, which broadcasters have all but abandoned. But records aside, the numbers are much lower these days than in the format’s glory days. The 1977 finale of ABC’s historical epic “Roots,” for example, was seen by more than 36 million viewers.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-ratings-.html

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #26 of 48 Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

From The Los Angeles Times

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-ratings-.html

Lower because, in 1977, people just had the three networks for first-run programming. Even HBO wasn't around back then. There are MANY more choices these days vying for our viewing time. By those standards, the ratings for the Hatfield/McCoys series is astronomical...blowing away ratings for WALKING DEAD, BREAKING BAD, etc.

post #27 of 48 Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Premiere: Saturday @4PM on The History Channel

The story of the famous American feud as told by historians, scholars and descendants.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
everyone'll start jumping on the band-wagon now
post #29 of 48 Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 164
TV Notes
Will The Success Of ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Spur A Wave Of Western-Themed Series?
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jun. 1, 2012

Just two weeks ago, TV networks’ infatuation with period Westerns seemed to have waned. Of the slew of such projects put in development by the broadcast networks last season, only one, NBC’s The Frontier, had been picked up to pilot, and it didn’t make the cut to series. At the same time, TNT passed on its own period Western pilot, Tin Star. Two weeks later, History’s Hatfields & McCoys burst into the scene, drawing huge crowds. Yes, its viewership skewed older, which is understandable given the historic subject matter, but there were plenty of 18-49-year-olds among the 13-14 million who tuned in for each episode to get the broadcast networks’ attention. And the timing is perfect as pitch season is just around the corner.

NBC may be the first to jump in with the Kerry Ehrin Western originally developed this past season. The network has been the most aggressive among the broadcast networks in the arena, ordering period Western drama pilots for two consecutive years: The Crossing in 2011 and The Frontier this year. The network developed a total of three Western scripts and its executives were happy with all of them, eventually narrowing the field to The Frontier and the Kerry Ehrin project and ultimately going with The Frontier. I hear NBC is now revisiting the Kerry Ehrin drama, produced by Universal TV and Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner’s Hazy Mills. Coincidentally, the project’s producers and NBC brass met on Tuesday morning, when the big ratings for the first night of Hatfields & McCoys came out. Set in the 1880s, the Kerry Ehrin project centers on Jacob Morris, a young, eccentric East Coast doctor of mental disorders who moves to a primitive Western town at the foot of the Colorado Rockies. I hear NBC executives are open to ordering the script to pilot if a name actor and/or director are attached. Other high-profile Westerns that were developed at the broadcast networks last season included The Rifleman reboot at CBS with Laeta Kalogridis, Chris Columbus and Carol Mendelsohn; a Wyatt Earp Western at Fox penned by John Hlavin; and Ron Moore’s Hangtown, set in the early 1900s, and David Zabel’s Gunslinger, both at ABC. With TV business being notoriously reactive, look for some of those to be revisited too and new Western concepts to start coming fast and furious once the floodgates at the broadcast networks open.

The only true Western series on the air right now is AMC’s Hell On Wheels on Sunday. CBS has period drama Vegas coming out in the fall but despite its protagonist, played by Dennis Quaid, being a cowboy-type sheriff, the drama deals with the mob’s 1960s takeover of Las Vegas. Ditto for FX’s Justified, despite the lead’s penchant for wearing cowboy hats. Another highly-rated Western miniseries, AMC’s Broken Trail, didn’t have a major impact on series development. But the success of Hatfields & McCoys comes as the Western genre has already built a strong momentum, making a new period Western series order within the next year a strong possibility.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/will...themed-series/

You were saying, javri ?
post #30 of 48 Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 395
...and this is why so many TV series fail: one big success and 6 copycats have to be made to capitalize on it - only they almost always fail to measure up.

Lost would be another example.

ABC found massive success early on with it and soon you had dark, mysterious dramas that tried to play the long game of serialization popping up everywhere - even on ABC.

I just wish the networks would work on creating something everyone else wants to copy rather than doing the copying.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page