Dallas on TNT in HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did TNT change the frame rate for tonights episode? This episode looked like video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 PM

This week's episode was the first of the year that was predictible. The jail sequence, Sue Ellen's response, and brother and sister aren't quite so ,,,, were almost cliche.

Voyager6
Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Last night's season finale lent a whole new meaning to the term "Cliff-hanger!" Great way to end the season on a typically Dallas sleazy note. I can't wait till January!!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Yup, made up for the predictibility of the last two episodes. Great Plot twist!

Loved the homage to Star Wars at the very end. JR reminded me so much of the Emperor after he convinced Anikin Skywalker to go to the dark side of the force! Dark, shadow over his face (from the hat) and grinning like the Cheshire Cat!

Voyager6
Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You know the one twist I really would have liked to have seen? Jon Ross being more Bobby like and Christopher being more JR like. Would have pitted father against son leading to some interesting storytelling. nature vs. nurture.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I was surprised I did not get the clue that was in our face the entire season. Rebecca is the name of Cliff and Pam's mother.

Of course it will be interesting to see who young Rebecca's mother is!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

I was surprised I did not get the clue that was in our face the entire season. Rebecca is the name of Cliff and Pam's mother.

Uhh, that would be Afton Cooper.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

The one issue I had with Christopher was how quickly he turned on John Ross after John Ross admitted guilt. Seemed way overacted. Christopher had already forgiven John Ross and knew he was guilty, so why the sudden turn? I guess they needed motivation for Christopeher and Elena to get together and cause the final slide of John Ross to the Dark Side of the Ewing Farce.

Voyager6
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Truly a sad day for Dallas (and IDOJ) fans with the passing of Larry Hagman (1931-2012)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-larry-hagman-appreciation-20121124,0,415922.story

frown.gif
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, hard to imagine Dallas without him.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I'd bet my pants that writers are busy crafting a "who KILLED J.R." cliffhanger for the end of this coming season. Just to try to get SOMEONE to watch Season three. However, writers were set to go on with this show when Hagman wouldn't come to terms.. so, perhaps there's a chance it can continue without him. I, too, can't imagine it.

On the other hand, with today's electronic editing and all those seasons of the original show, it would be somewhat easy to "make" JR say anything you wanted him to and always have the character offscreen or on the phone. But, to me, that's cheese. I really would rather see a cliffhanger and a whole 3rd season to resolve it.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

I personally think the writers fully expected that Larry might go at some point. Even in the first season he looked pretty frail. It's just a question of does he:
1) Die by conspiracy
2) A mistake made by a family member
3) A simple old age problem like a heart attack.
4) Embrace the reality and say it was cancer.

I would go with 4 and class. The soap operate can come with the will and Sue Ellen taking over.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17

RIP Larry. You'll be missed.

I hope the writers handle this with class and don't prolong it with some manufactured storyline or cliffhanger. The writers on the old Dallas kind of did that when Jim Davis died -- they didn't address it right away, just kept him off-screen, and then had him lost in a helicopter crash. Then they had this search storyline that fell flat because, of course, we all knew Jim Davis had died and wouldn't be found.

If they did a "Who killed JR?" storyline, the only likely suspect at this point would be Cliff. JR had been out of the game for so long that his previous enemies are either long gone or let go whatever animosity they had toward him. And he wasn't back in the game long enough to make any new enemies.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The best way for his character to exit is just to die in his sleep. Leave whatever machinations he is up to as is and let the plot continue on in the same way that many families do when there is a sudden unexpected death.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Watched and watching again the start of season two. So far I'm smile.gif

If you missed it the replay is Friday. If you have Verizon FiOS it's whenever you're ready via VOD in the TNT folder.

I'll say more later as I'm not into the whole spoiler thing. cool.gif
Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

It may just be me but so far Season two is better than season one. JR & Bobby working together, Christopher & John Ross switching partners and excellent cliffhangers.

Catch the replay on Friday or when it's available on VOD. Really! cool.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When Annie shoots her ex Bobby comes to her rescue by confessing to her crime when the cops come. But he's not dead and fingers Bobby as the shooter. And who would have thought John Ross would turn to the Barnes side. biggrin.gif
Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
OK, it's now done. JR is dead and buried. But of course, he'll reach out from the grave. biggrin.gif
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The nerve of Sue Ellen coming drunk to JR's funeral. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!! biggrin.gif
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 AM
oby

Someone needs to put her back in the "sanitarium"!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Linda Gray sure looks better at 73 then Ted Shackleford does at 67
Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody see the end of the current season? Especially with the bedroom scene with John Ross, his wife Pamela and his piece of a*s on the side Emma? eek.gif As close to p*rn as they allow on cable TV.

Never seen John Ross flustered like that, given the situation. biggrin.gif

Of course, what happened after, oy!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

John Ross may have been flustered in the beginning, but he got into the trois pretty quickly.

It's a shame Pamela needed drugs to get there, that would have been a nice storyline. wink.gif
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I was shocked they would go there and thought this could cause the show to enter a whole new dimension - but I felt cheated with how it ended. I've been enjoying the show, but quite frankly I'm tiered of Sue Ellen as the drunk. When the show restarted she was a strong, successful confident woman, now back to a weep drunk.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

It seems they are revisiting classic moments of the past. People have relapses and her watching her son become JR makes sense.
I kind of wonder if the Pamela moment had more to it than what we saw. IE was the whole ecstasy(???) simply a device to get him to realize the stupidity of his ways.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Dallas, new episodes, starts up again, Monday, August 18, 2014.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry folks, but they won't be resolving Christopher's murder. It was fun while it lasted.

http://www.thewrap.com/dallas-reboot-canceled-by-tnt/

EDIT: The link doesn't want to work for me, so here's the text of it from the HOTP thread.

TV Notes
‘Dallas’ Reboot Canceled by TNT
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com - Oct. 3, 2014

Southfork is closed for business.

TNT has canceled its reboot of the classic series “Dallas” after three seasons, a TNT spokesperson told TheWrap on Friday.

“TNT has decided not to renew ‘Dallas.’ We are extremely proud of the series, which defied expectations by standing as a worthy continuation of the Ewing saga,” the spokesperson said. “We want to thank everyone involved with the show, from the extraordinary cast to the impeccable production team, led by the show's creative forces, Cynthia Cidre and Mike Robin. We especially want to thank the people of Dallas for their warm and generous hospitality during the production of the series.”

The series wrapped its third season with a finale that saw the death of Christopher Ewing (played by Jesse Metcalfe) last week. Despite the shocker of a finale, the episode landed disappointing ratings, drawing just 1.7 million total viewers — down from the 2 million it had been averaging during the season.

Such was not always the case. The reboot — which paired newcomers such as Metcalfe and Jordana Brewster with original series cast members including Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray (as well as Larry Hagman, who died in 2012) racked up 6.9 million total viewers with its 2012 premiere.

The writing, however, had been on the wall in recent weeks. Prior to the Sept. 22 finale, cast members engaged in a Twitter rally urging fans to watch, with Duffy in particular indicating that the show's fate hung in the balance.

“Thinking about tonight! Big EP for us tonight. May decide a season 4 Thank you all for being there!” Duffy wrote.

Last edited by humdinger70; 10-04-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

This season was one of miss steps and it turned fatal in more ways than one. They had some good meat to work with but got seriously off track with the Mexican cartel and the stupid ranch girl romance or what ever that was. There was zero chemistry there.

They could have focused more on the Ryland's, I really got into Judith Light's evil mama routine. Would have like to see John Ross team up with her and learn how to be even more underhanded and wicked. That would have been worth another season. Really don't care about killing off Christopher, he morphed into a one note character, not sure if it was the writing or the actor. In the end I think it was the writing that did the show in, but I would have liked even an abbreviated season to wrap stuff up. I think TNT also had a hand in killing the show with the scheduling, it worked much better as a winter show and putting the final up against such strong competition was a death move.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Yeah, it's a shame. I think they took some wrong turns in some of the plots but on the whole it was a good show. Too bad it can't go to another station.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Never mind the plot problems this season…

I don’t read the “twitterverse” and all the attendant crap….

But right before the season – now series – finale, TNT announced – like it was an f’n WWE event –

“TNT next, this season finale is bigger in Texas…. And it’s coming up next….

ONE… EWING… WILL… DIE!!!!!

And in case you tuned in late and missed that promo, there was the recurrent superimposed chyron that said “<TNT-logo> #WhichEwingDies ”…

Good bleeping grief!!!!!

If that’s how you promote your season finale, you deserve low ratings…

Even if there had been a fourth season, I would have waited for it to show up on Netflix…

From “Who Shot JR?” to “#WhichEwingDies ”…

Not an improvement…
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Ending the season with the 'Who shot JR?' episode was one of the most brilliant decisions ever. It created the 'cliffhanger' we know today.

No social media or Internet to spoil it. People talked about it for months. And a writers strike and protracted salary negotiations with Larry Hagman cast a pall over when the reveal episode would air.

When it did air, it was TV's highest rated program ever (for that time, since then exceeded). FYI, it was Kristin Shepard who shot him.

Even David Brinkley, then with NBC, got into it. He had a program opposite Dallas (and clearly got clobbered in the ratings). At the very end of his program, he gave the ending away.

There's even a Wikipedia page dedicated to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_shot_J.R.%3F

TV hasn't been the same since.