New to FIOS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Verizon has just started up on my street. I presently have Directv (have had since 1996) but am seriously considering going over to Verizon. Living in Florida creates some problems with weather - it does rain a lot! Also, we have given up on the football package (no team allegiance anymore) and only have the hockey & baseball packages (both available on Fios); do have Stars & Encore along with HBO for movies. Right now we have the whole-home system with 5 DVRS and 3 HD receivers (we record most of the shows we watch and watch them later WITHOUT watching the commercials). We haven't committed as yet - the salesman spoke so fast we decided to take a little longer to look into Fios as opposed to Directv.

One thing we do have with Directv which we really like is the double-play feature - pause one show, double click down arrow twice and look at another show - repeat to continue watching the previous show. Is that possible with FiOS?

Directv service is prompt and successful. How is the service with Verizon?

We understand the picture quality is at least as good as Directv - is that true?

Thanks a lot for you input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I've never had D* so can't compare the picture quality. However, I found it looks the same to me as it did on Comcast, with one huge exception - AMCHD. Apparently there's an ongoing dispute between Verizon and the owners of that channel, so they get a bitstarved feed that at times looks worse than a bad web streaming feed. So if you like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, etc then be aware!
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I like it:

- dont have to worry about snow/ice/thunderstorms on the dish.
- NFL Redzone channel is included in the ultimate package -- not a substitute for sunday ticket for some but next best thing.
- ultimate package also includes all the cinemax, showtime, epix channels total which is 16 HD channels --
sidenote: for anyone in the NY area ultimate includes all the premium channels.
- never had problems with fios service/billing but there will be people that say they did but on a directv forum they say they have problems too so its YMMV.
- tv is calibrated -- picture quality about the same maybe slightly better than directv but fios is definately better when its a fast moving image you get less macroblocking/trail.
- dont think doubleplay works on fios -- there is a buffer of 1.5 hours on 2 channels so you can go back & forth on 2 channels....it wont go back to a pause (which i think directv does) so you would have to rewind....a workaround could be dvr 2 shows & go back n forth with the last channel button & that would pick up where you left off on each show each time.
- the bundle pricing fios has here in northern nj easily beats the directv equivalent + the internet speed is really fast.
- changing channels is also faster since it doesnt have to link to a sat.
- the owner of amc networks is responsible for the lower bitrate feed so its the same for all providers.

Again depending on peoples uses they will all have plus/minuses -- just giving how it works for me.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
You can also save some money on box rental with an HTPC and CableCARD tuner..

post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Which I'm giving very serious consideration to since the DVR rental fee on my account went up $4.00 per month in May. mad.gif

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page