Wimbledon 2012 on ESPN & ESPN2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the first time all matches are on ESPN & ESPN2. No tape delay for the West Coast.
Tennis Channel has rebroadcasts at night.

John McEnroe joins ESPN for coverage of the tournament.
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/06/three-time-champ-john-mcenroe-bolsters-tvs-best-tennis-team-for-espn-at-wimbledon/

On July 2nd coverage of the Round of 16 is on ESPN and ESPN2.
On July 3rd and 4th the Quarterfinals are on ESPN and ESPN2.

Broadcast schedule,
http://espnmediazone.com/us/wimbledon-schedule/

ESPN2 HD FiOS TV NYC

ESPN2 has the bottom line off with a semi transparent live bug above the ESPN2 logo.
PQ is very good with no macro blocking or motion artifacts.

I am noticing one problem though where areas of the video break up into blocks of color and go away quickly.
It does not seem to be a FiOS problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When a tennis player goes by two last names can't they just use the last one to save space?
aasuZemM.jpg
post #3 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Being a morning person myself living on the west coast, it's nice not having to wait for tape delay coverage that NBC would pull off. That was the only gripe I had with NBC.

And the FOUL!
post #4 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another bonus of ESPN having all the coverage is for the round of 16 and quarter finals they are using ESPN and ESPN2.
Ironic on the first day they use both channels play is suspended due to rain except for Centre Court which has a retractable roof.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Watching the womens semis with the sound down. I am now convinced all this hollering is a bit they're doing. Azarenka hit a drop shot, never swung the racket and let out a loud squealing sex noise. It's irritating. It must stop!

Glad it's not Venus and Maria!

100% Digital household since 2001
post #6 of 15 Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

When a tennis player goes by two last names can't they just use the last one to save space?
aasuZemM.jpg
Uh, no...

Which one do you choose? It's her name. In many cultures, multiple surnames are common, unlike in the US where they're often the result of divorce or re-marriage. Taking only one surname would be almost the same as abreviating someone's single last name because it's really long.

It's about respect, not your desire to have a smaller font on the screen.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
On a different note......

Having watched today's Women's singles final live on TSN (via ESPN) from about 8:50 am to its conclusion, I thought ESPN did a very good job end to end. Obviously they had an hour (more than NBC) to talk UP the match, a pre-game show that stole NBC's "Breakfast at Wimbledon" name (wonder why NBC didn't protect that name when they had the telecast). The Chris Fowler/Chris Evert combo in the booth was an effective one. PQ was excellent, and I was glad to see the Bottom Line being reduced to an occasional appearance. The Charles Barkley/ John McEnroe joint appearance in the pre-game was a bit odd I thought, although I realized later that "Sir Charles" (only knighted by the American media) was an invited guest in Serena's spectator box during the match! Very refreshing to see a somewhat different crew on the final weekend at Wimbledon this side of the pond.

I caught parts of the ABC repeat this afternoon as well. They basically reran the match with original commentary -- but the PQ was slightly degraded compared to ESPN's, the scorebox was reduced in size but moved to the 4:3 center-cut area with an ABC non-transparent bug at the bottom right. Nonetheless, I think this was a nod to the few people who STILL don't have cable -- a chance to see most of today's final on the same day it happened -- or to those who slept in. :-)
post #8 of 15 Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I thought ESPN did a fine job on the men's semis. I liked changing booth color guys for the matches, liked having Patrick with John, miss Mary. PQ was fine (I had to give up on the tennis channels repeats, horrible) and anytime a sport I want to see is on cable I'm happy - local affiliates need to die.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I thought ESPN did a fine job on the men's semis. I liked changing booth color guys for the matches, liked having Patrick with John, miss Mary.
You might be the first person to ever pronounce they missed Mary Carillo from a tennis broadcast. I thought ESPN did a good job on the tournament and I also liked having both McEnroes in the booth together. Patrick did seem a little more reserved than usual with John around.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

You might be the first person to ever pronounce they missed Mary Carillo from a tennis broadcast. I thought ESPN did a good job on the tournament and I also liked having both McEnroes in the booth together. Patrick did seem a little more reserved than usual with John around.
I don't follow the politics, I just watch (since tennis has been televised really, I go back to Laver and Roswall and such.)

When she started I was bummed, women doing tv sports, ugh. Just more PC and I was totally pissed. Then I actually saw a broadcast with her and it was worse, yammering on and on ...

The next year she was a little better, then the next and the next. I thought the best tennis broadcast team ever was Tony Trabert and her. Anyhow, I was impressed that she identified her weaknesses and wasn't afraid to admit them and also did the work to improve. As years went on, she sort of peaked, but in her prime, I'm thinking mostly CBS, she really was excellent, especially considering the state of tv sports on air people (just one step up on the loathsome scale from local news anchors in my book.)

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just got done watching the Men's final on Slingbox DVR delay at work. I thought ESPN did a fantastic job and all done without tape delay. I mean at least ESPN gives us the opportunity to decide to delay watching on our own (in fairness NBC did show the Wimbledon Finals live).

And the FOUL!
post #12 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
It helped that it was a really good match. High level of tennis played. I thought having both McEnroes was a mistake as they sound too similar and talk too similar.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #13 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

You might be the first person to ever pronounce they missed Mary Carillo from a tennis broadcast.

Here's the second. I always thought Mary was terrific. Very knowledgeable and well-spoken. Can turn a clever phrase. Had good chemistry with Johnny Mac. Hope to hear her again.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I like Mary Carillo for some things, such as doing pre/post match analysis, or short independent reporting segments, but I don't like her as part of a live match commentary. I feel she's a little headstrong, and tends to be too adversarial when someone else disagrees with her in the booth. JMac may sometimes exhibit those qualities, but he's better at diffusing those type of situations by injecting a bit of deprecating humor, whereas Carillo likes to argue a point until she 'wins'. IOW, I think that she works better on her own.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Here's the second. I always thought Mary was terrific. Very knowledgeable and well-spoken. Can turn a clever phrase. Had good chemistry with Johnny Mac. Hope to hear her again.

Grand Slam tennis is a huge year round thing. And because of the time difference, the two European slams take place at times of day which is very good for daytime cable here in North America, but the finals (because of the timing) is not much a money maker for TV, it's just a prestige thing to carry them. The US Open is the grand prize for any North American broadcaster, CBS and EPSN won't give that up without a fight. I think they got it locked up for a number of years.

So now we've got the slams covered a little differently. NBC lost Wimbledon but they still have the French. CBS has the US Open, while ESPN has the early rounds for all four slams plus the finals for 2 of them. You will still have Mary Carillo (and Johnny Mac) covering the US Open for CBS,.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page