Comcast, Roku & HBO Go - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Roku & was shocked to learn HBO Go does not work with Comcast! It works with most providers but not Comcast! Does anyone have any current info on this? I started to do some research and did not find encouraging news other than Comcast is now offering this service with The X Box. Maybe soon? I'm sad. mad.gif

Carl Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I looked for it some time ago on DirecTv, but it was not listed on the ROKU site as a provider. DISH was there, however.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
A lot of providers have decided not to support the ROKU for HBO Go because ROKU targets and advertises itself so much as a way to ditch your pay-TV subscription. They think supporting ROKU can hurt them in the long run, and they might be right.

It wouldn't suprise me if eventually HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. start offering subscriptions directly to customers through devices like the ROKU, and your computer, and bypass the Pay-TV providers altogether. The Pay-TV providers obviously don't want to help speed that up by getting people used to using the ROKU now.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

A lot of providers have decided not to support the ROKU for HBO Go because ROKU targets and advertises itself so much as a way to ditch your pay-TV subscription. They think supporting ROKU can hurt them in the long run, and they might be right.
It wouldn't suprise me if eventually HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. start offering subscriptions directly to customers through devices like the ROKU, and your computer, and bypass the Pay-TV providers altogether. The Pay-TV providers obviously don't want to help speed that up by getting people used to using the ROKU now.

What's "a lot of providers"? The only two I'm aware of that do not allow HBO Go on Roku are Comcast & Direct TV. It's silly. Perhaps it WILL force HBO, others to go direct, who knows. At any rate, shame on me! I ASSUMED, if I pay for Comcast & HBO & got HBO Go on my phone & iPad, I had it on the Roku. Shame on Roku for advertising it without stating "with certain providers". Comcast has now added it to the X Box, no PS3 or Roku yet. I guess as a humble subscriber, I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

Carl Jones
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

What's "a lot of providers"? The only two I'm aware of that do not allow HBO Go on Roku are Comcast & Direct TV. It's silly. Perhaps it WILL force HBO, others to go direct, who knows. At any rate, shame on me! I ASSUMED, if I pay for Comcast & HBO & got HBO Go on my phone & iPad, I had it on the Roku. Shame on Roku for advertising it without stating "with certain providers". Comcast has now added it to the X Box, no PS3 or Roku yet. I guess as a humble subscriber, I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

It may not be a lot of providers, but it's certainly a lot of subscribers. I'm fairly certain that if HBO offers Go without requiring a cable/satellite subscription that I will dump that service and go exclusively with HBO Go. Seems like Directv and Comcast may be playing a game of chicken with HBO, Seems to me that HBO holds more cards, I guess we'll see in time.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 03:57 PM

The thing is, to watch HBO GO on my iPad, I must login with my Comcast ID to validate that I subscribe to HBO, so it's not like someone who doesn't get HBO on the TV can get HBO GO. So, what is the problem with requiring users to sign in on the Roku channel? Netflix does it; so does Amazon (for Prime).

HBO has stated that they don't foresee offering GO independently, because it would, in fact, compete with the cable networks. To me, it's just another example of Comcast throwing their weight around just because they can. Ridiculous, but what else would you expect from crappy Comcast?

aed
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I'm curious to see if, at least for us Apple users, if the upcoming OSX redux (Mountain Lion) & it's ability to mirror anything on your Mac's monitor to an Apple TV box will finally allow full on AIrPlay compatibility w/ HBO Go. As it stands now, HBO Go via iOS device will only AirPlay the audio, not video, to ATV 2 or 3.

Being a Comcast customer, I can obviously get a decent amount of HBO programming OnDemand. However, HBO Go does open one up to having most everything HBO has ever aired available at the touch of a button/click of a mouse. Not having to watch it on a computer monitor or iPad screen would be nice.

As well, I would not be too surprised if some sort of subscription plan were to come about one day to allow non-cable/sat folks to pay for & access HBO. The cable/satco folks may not like it, but HBO might be better served by such a model, esp when one considers the reportedly massive amount of online piracy that occurs with HBO programming (thought I read that Game of Thrones is one of the web's most pirated TV shows).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The key for me is Comcast. If others (many other) allow HBO Go to be shown via a "big screen" by Roku, X Box (whatever), providers such as Comcast are noted as being one of the few left who doesn't support this. I hold out hope though. It took Comcast quite awhile to allow ESPN channels to be seen via iPad, etc and they now allow HBO Go via the X Box. Perhaps Roku isn't too far behind? smile.gif

Carl Jones
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

The key for me is Comcast. If others (many other) allow HBO Go to be shown via a "big screen" by Roku, X Box (whatever), providers such as Comcast are noted as being one of the few left who doesn't support this. I hold out hope though. It took Comcast quite awhile to allow ESPN channels to be seen via iPad, etc and they now allow HBO Go via the X Box. Perhaps Roku isn't too far behind? smile.gif

Could be, although allowing Comcast programming via XBOX probably had some help from said game console's little software company's financial muscle. Not sure, though, why Comcast or DirecTv are so anti-Roku. It is not as if the Roku is actually stealing $$ from the providers - you still have to pay the provider for the HBO subscription.

Comcast could quash the issue by simply having all HBO GO programming available thru the normal cable box-delivered OnDemand system, thereby eliminating the need for Comcast subscribers to even use HBO Go unless outside the home via a tablet/smartphone/laptop.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page