Perception on TNT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone catch the premier of Eric McCormack's new show Perception?

www.tntdrama.com/series/perception/

Very interesting twist on a procedural cop show!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77

I enjoyed it. A nice change of the usual pace.

post #3 of 56 Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Meh.

I was expecting more, but will tune in again to see where it goes - pilots always get tweaked a bit.
post #4 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could not watch more than 10 minutes of this show.
post #5 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And the "gotcha" at the end? That really did surprise me.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #6 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Monk meets Psych meets every other show about a quirky detective who does the most adorably quirky things because he's just so darned lovably quirky.

Formulaic, contrived, boring. It'll probably be a big hit and run for ten years.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Monk meets Psych meets every other show about a quirky detective who does the most adorably quirky things because he's just so darned lovably quirky.
Formulaic, contrived, boring. It'll probably be a big hit and run for ten years.

I'd have thrown in a big slice of A Beautiful Mind. I liked it though and am willing to stick around for a while to see how this developes.

Steve S.
post #8 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Add in "The Mentalist", the theme music even sounds like a knockoff of that show.
post #9 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Favorite comment yet. From your lips to God's ears.
post #10 of 56 Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writestuff View Post

Favorite comment yet. From your lips to God's ears.

+1!!biggrin.gif

post #11 of 56 Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

And the "gotcha" at the end? That really did surprise me.
Really! I new the GOTCHA at the end from the first two lines of the "date night" talk earlier in the show. No surprise there at all.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Quote:

I'd have thrown in a big slice of A Beautiful Mind. I liked it though and am willing to stick around for a while to see how this developes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Add in "The Mentalist", the theme music even sounds like a knockoff of that show.
My opinion was all of the above. Include a bit of Lie to Me as well. It's a retread of a retread, with different character names, and a slightly different "viewing angle".

I agree, it'll probably be a big hit lasting many seasons.rolleyes.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #12 of 56 Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess I'm slow ...mad.gif

post #13 of 56 Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Watched the second episode. It continues to amuse me and I love Eric McCormack's performance. I also loved Monk, watch Psych and the Mentalist. I am a sucker for quirky detective shows so I will be here for the long haul:p

post #14 of 56 Old 07-21-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 415
i think that's the key to any of these kinds of shows anymore: an interesting character.

Let's face it, the mysteries aren't going to sell it. It's hard to make a compelling mystery that can be solved in 42 minutes without either a) pulling a Jessica Fletcher where she says "aha!" and pulls some clue out of here bicycle basket the audience never saw or b) making it easily guessable so the audience can keep up.

Medium was one of my favorite shows when it was on, not because it was a great police drama, but because it was a great human drama. The mysteries were as telegraphed as they could be and the reveal always hit you over the head to make sure you got it. However, Allison's family and work life balance was what sold the show. This wasn't a family living in some house or apartment somewhere they could never afford where no one ever seems to go to work and the kids disappear any time Mom and Dad have to do something outside the home. The kids had to go to school, they sometimes got sick, they got on each others nerves. Allison and Joe had jobs they had to go to, had bills and even lost their jobs at one time or another. The house was income appropriate and appeared to be the same matching structure inside and outside.

Perception is much the same thing. It's about how he deals with never knowing for sure what's real and what's not. It's how he goes about figuring out the crimes. granted, the human side could be better developed, but it's only the second episode.
post #15 of 56 Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

i think that's the key to any of these kinds of shows anymore: an interesting character.
Let's face it, the mysteries aren't going to sell it. It's hard to make a compelling mystery that can be solved in 42 minutes without either a) pulling a Jessica Fletcher where she says "aha!" and pulls some clue out of here bicycle basket the audience never saw or b) making it easily guessable so the audience can keep up.
Medium was one of my favorite shows when it was on, not because it was a great police drama, but because it was a great human drama. The mysteries were as telegraphed as they could be and the reveal always hit you over the head to make sure you got it. However, Allison's family and work life balance was what sold the show. This wasn't a family living in some house or apartment somewhere they could never afford where no one ever seems to go to work and the kids disappear any time Mom and Dad have to do something outside the home. The kids had to go to school, they sometimes got sick, they got on each others nerves. Allison and Joe had jobs they had to go to, had bills and even lost their jobs at one time or another. The house was income appropriate and appeared to be the same matching structure inside and outside.
Perception is much the same thing. It's about how he deals with never knowing for sure what's real and what's not. It's how he goes about figuring out the crimes. granted, the human side could be better developed, but it's only the second episode.

I totally agree. I really like this show and can't wait to see the back story of his "evening chat" girl friend.

post #16 of 56 Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22

Yep, really liking this show so far as well.  Plus RLC is easy on the eyes.  :)  Hard to believe she is 33.  She still looks 19.

Scott
post #17 of 56 Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have to admit, it's growing on me. It also reminds me of the first show my kid wrote on, Raines, which was also populated by people that only the main character could see. Yes it's a much (maybe over) used device, but Eric McCormack is really working hard to create a memorable character, and I think he's pulling it off. There's a lot to mine in the field of abnormal psychology--it could make for some interesting TV.
post #18 of 56 Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 169
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). cool.gif

TV Notes
'Perception' Renewed: TNT Orders Season 2 Of Eric McCormack Drama
By TheHuffingtonPost.com Staff - Aug. 17, 2012

"Perception" has been renewed for a second season. The TNT drama, which stars Eric McCormack as a schizophrenic neuroscience professor who works with the FBI to help solve their most complicated cases, was picked up for 13 episodes in Season 2. A concrete airdate has yet to be announced, but the series is scheduled to return in 2013.

"Perception has captured the imagination of TNT’s audience of armchair detectives with wonderfully intricate cases, emotionally charged situations and, of course, a terrific cast led by Eric McCormack," said Michael Wright, president and head of programming for TNT, TBS and TCM, in a statement. "Daniel Pierce is a truly unique and fascinating addition to television’s pantheon of crime solvers. We look forward to seeing where Perception takes us next."

According to the release, the show currently ranks second among basic cable's top new scripted series for the year-to-date, behind TNT's "The Closer" spin-off, "Major Crimes." HuffPost TV's Mo Ryan was lukewarm on the pilot, saying, "McCormack's energy and the chugging, unflashy competence of the show around him make 'Perception' watchable."

"Perception" airs Mondays at 9 p.m. ET on TNT.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/17/perception-renewed-tnt-season-2_n_1799154.html
post #19 of 56 Old 08-18-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

YEAH!!!

post #20 of 56 Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Excellent season finale last night that answered a lot of questions, especially regarding Natalie.
post #21 of 56 Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Really enjoyed this finale. It certainly did answer a great deal of questions, especially about Natalie. I hope they give her a reoccurring (continuing) part as Daniel's friend and mental health (if not official) guide.

post #22 of 56 Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Was that the first time they explained who Natalie is? I thought maybe I had missed it in one of the early episodes.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #23 of 56 Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^yes

Steve S.
post #24 of 56 Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
great show
post #25 of 56 Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looking forward to seeing season two in 2013!

post #26 of 56 Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just watched it last night, so I'm sorry if I'm late to the party, but I really enjoyed it...a very nice twist with her character, and it makes you wonder, who will be back, the 'real' her or the imagined one, or some combination depending on whether he's on or off his meds? Fun stuff!
post #27 of 56 Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Schizophrenics are much more disorganized in their thinking than the lead character, and the kind of coherent visual hallucinations he experiences are rare. So it's not realistic. But as with most plots, we are prepared to accept almost any premise, as long as they don't keep throwing new coincidences and weirdnesses at us as the story goes along. I think Eric McCormack is a fantastic and very likable actor. Most of the episodes were pretty lightweight, but the two part finale was beautifully written and affecting and reminded me of a couple of movies I've seen where I realized late that a lot of what we had seen and believed was the delusion or hallucination of the main character. It made me really feel the suffering that Eric's character was going through. So I think this was a really solid B+ and look forward to seeing season two.
post #28 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Is anybody still watching this show other than me? It's definitely one of my summer favorites. Last night's episode was particularly good.
post #29 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Is anybody still watching this show other than me? It's definitely one of my summer favorites. Last night's episode was particularly good.

Yes, I like this show too. As I said in another thread many of the summer shows are far better than what the networks show in the fall.
post #30 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I like it too but somehow I had deleted the season pass and I've already missed the first 3 episodes. I think TNT has the episodes online.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page