Biggest sSnubs of 2012 Emmy Nominations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
my oh my how did they manage to screw this up so badly this year.

my biggest snub is not nominating parks and rec for best comedy. it was nominated last season so if you're part of the academy i guess you think that this past season was way worse than the last.

but apparently they don't think that as they nominated the parks and rec for 2 different episodes in the best comedy writing, the only comedy with multiple nominations for best comedy writing.

so i guess the writing for the show is great, but the directors and actors are really crappy because, given the sterling status of the writing material, the show wasn't funny, or at least not funny enough to be nominated for best comedy series, but girls and veep are funny enough to be nominated?

and while anyone who even breathes on the set of modern family gets a nomination, nick offerman who has created a character on parks and rec that is as memorable as eddie haskell, gets no nomination for the 3rd year running.

and don't even get me going about community.

wow, the best writtten and most creative comedies are snubbed while those predictable formula sitcoms are the only ones worth honoring.

sigh............................................................

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The biggest snub for me (and no surprise for people who know where I'm coming from) would be the lack of love for Justified. Also, the gal on Episodes deserved to be in the conversation. Offerman, of course.

For many years I was a voting member of NARAS (The Grammys), and I went through a period where I was working so much that I didn't really have time to listen to all the potential nominees, so I'd sometimes just go with something I was familiar with. I wonder if something similar might happen with the Emmy voters, turning it into a bit of a popularity contest.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

a lot of people also think louie got reemed as well

neflixis our nemesis
post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

For many years I was a voting member of NARAS (The Grammys), and I went through a period where I was working so much that I didn't really have time to listen to all the potential nominees, so I'd sometimes just go with something I was familiar with. I wonder if something similar might happen with the Emmy voters, turning it into a bit of a popularity contest.

I think for the Best Drama/Comedy nominations, it kind of has to be. Academy members are given a list of basically every show on TV, and are asked to pick the 10 best. Since it is practically impossible for most people to have watched every drama and comedy on every network and compare them all, people are going to vote for the shows they have seen or heard about from friends. For example, I haven't seen the HBO show Girls, so I couldn't vote for it.

For the final voting on Best Comedy and Drama, you actually have to watch episodes of all the nominees before voting. Or at least sign an affidavit saying that you have done so. So presumably the final vote for the Emmy winner is more informed.

For the individual peer groups, the nomination voting is done by the people in that craft. Performers vote on Performers, directors vote on directors, writers vote on writers, etc. For my peer group (Special Visual Effects), we fill up a theater with visual effects people, and screen all the entries one after another. The voting for the nominees is done after the whole panel has watched all the shows. It takes an entire day. Then for the final voting of the Emmy winners, we vote at home and we put the video submissions from nominees online so people can watch as a refresher if they need to. Some peer groups get DVDs to view at home. Some vote in panels. Each peer group decides what works best for them. I think the stunt guys just have a big fight to decide who gets the award (Ok, that part isn't true).

To Mr. Wally - I voted for Parks and Rec for Outstanding Comedy, but I *do* think the last season was less funny in general than the previous season. The ongoing election story line wasn't as interesting to me. So no surprise to me that the show didn't get as many votes from the Academy as last year. On the other hand, I have no idea how Offerman didn't get nominated. Ron Swanson continues to be one of the most consistently funny and t interesting characters in any comedy.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I think for the Best Drama/Comedy nominations, it kind of has to be. Academy members are given a list of basically every show on TV, and are asked to pick the 10 best. Since it is practically impossible for most people to have watched every drama and comedy on every network and compare them all, people are going to vote for the shows they have seen or heard about from friends. For example, I haven't seen the HBO show Girls, so I couldn't vote for it.
For the final voting on Best Comedy and Drama, you actually have to watch episodes of all the nominees before voting. Or at least sign an affidavit saying that you have done so. So presumably the final vote for the Emmy winner is more informed.
For the individual peer groups, the nomination voting is done by the people in that craft. Performers vote on Performers, directors vote on directors, writers vote on writers, etc. For my peer group (Special Visual Effects), we fill up a theater with visual effects people, and screen all the entries one after another. The voting for the nominees is done after the whole panel has watched all the shows. It takes an entire day. Then for the final voting of the Emmy winners, we vote at home and we put the video submissions from nominees online so people can watch as a refresher if they need to. Some peer groups get DVDs to view at home. Some vote in panels. Each peer group decides what works best for them. I think the stunt guys just have a big fight to decide who gets the award (Ok, that part isn't true).

interesting post about the emmy nomination process and the dilemma facing academy members. at least once your nominated there are some requirements that you do your due diligence. pretty cool that you're a voting member.

To Mr. Wally - I voted for Parks and Rec for Outstanding Comedy, but I *do* think the last season was less funny in general than the previous season. The ongoing election story line wasn't as interesting to me. So no surprise to me that the show didn't get as many votes from the Academy as last year. On the other hand, I have no idea how Offerman didn't get nominated. Ron Swanson continues to be one of the most consistently funny and t interesting characters in any comedy.

i agree that last season was more consistently funny then the past season given it was anchored to ms. knopes campaign. but i will say, their best episodes from this past season, 2 tammys, comeback kid, the debate, and win. lose. or draw were as good as any comic material i have seen in the last 5 years. those shows were pure gold and demonstrate why p& r should have received best comedy nomination.

send my sympathies to nick offerman if you get the chance.

neflixis our nemesis
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page