bunheads - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Is anyone else out there watching this show?

I am presently writing something involving a teen ballet dancer, and I know nothing about the day-to-day details of ballet classes and such matters. So when I saw ABC Family had a show called bunheads on Monday nights at 9 I figured I would watch it. Purience played a certain part in it, as it contains beaucoup little teenaged girls eek.gif

Anyway, it focuses more (too much, I think) on Sutton Foster who plays a long, lean show dancer who complicatedly becomes associated with a a ballet school in a small California town. She's not bad but she's too frenetic, and there's lots of stuff about her and her mother-in-law who owns the school. And there's the posse of little ballet dancers.

I sort of like this show. I am at a loss as to what constitutes a good sitcom these days. I love the NBC ones, and Modern Family and Suburgatory and Don't touch the B****, but most of the others lose me in some way or another. I periodically watch The Big Bang Theory trying to figure out how it's one ot the top sitcoms and I just cannot understand how it could be.

Anyway, this is not up to the standards ot the best of the NBC ones or the other ones I mentioned, but it seems to me it competes pretty successfully with the other sitcoms that Americans seem to have taken into their hearts. I realize that the main demographic of this site that loves things that blow up real good would probably run screaming from this. But you just might want to give it a try.

If you can make your way to the last three minutes or so of the Movie Truck episode you can see the beautiful Julia Goldani Telles dance to "Istanbul (not Constantinople)", and believe me, it is a sight to see.

http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/bunheads/

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 80
We've watched it since the opening show and have really enjoyed it. When we read that Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop were going to be the stars, it became a definite "give it a look see" item. The exchanges between the two of them have been very sharp and entertaining. It's too bad that they killed off Alan Ruck in the pilot but than again that set up the show's entire premise. Telles was very good last night (as were the two other dancers). She and the other three primary students have quite extensive dance training in their backgrounds and it does show even in the sometimes brief glimpses that you see of them doing their thing. To us the show is a winner and it benefits greatly from being on ABC's cable side and not the network. Given the ABC suits penchant for summarily canceling one good show after another (Eli Stone, Dirty Sexy Money, Pushing Daisies, GCB as examples), Bunheads probably would have been zapped after two weeks. At least now it will have a chance to survive and grow.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 524
The biggest problem with killing Alan Ruck is that the show has jumped further into "Gilmore Girls Lite" territory. The cues and beats are almost all the same, even down to the musical segues and the lead casting is Emily and Lorelei just with different names and no direct family link. Unfortunately because this is on ABC Family, a channel which kills anything that doesn't become a Tweetfest from 16 year old girls, the show has to awkwardly wedge in the teenage girls and some kind of ballet performance every other show, which is by far the weakest aspect.

Honestly, watching this just makes me miss Gilmore Girls back when it was at it's peak. It's okay, but it's just too familiar while not being as good and based on this it also sells me on the notion that Palladino only has one good story in her.
ldivinag likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i watch this because i miss GG...

leo d.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 214
post #6 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just bumping to remind the masses that you might enjoy this, even though it is of the snappy one-line patter, obviously-dictated-into-a-recorder sort ot shows. Somehow interesting dramatic and comedic stuff gets wedged into this every now and then.

9:00 Mondays, ABC Family.

CW Hinkle
post #7 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Yes, it is indeed a series worth watching. But, i9f you haven't seen it, I suggest going back to the beginning and watching it.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #8 of 11 Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Jeannine Mason, former So You Think You Can Dance winner has been in the past four episodes and has showed some flashes of great ballet skills. She's pretty good with dialogue on camera too. Kent Boyd, a SYTYCD runner-up has made several appearances as well and last week got some major camera time with dialogue.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Another Gilmore Girl alum has been showing up frequently, Paris Geller(Liza Weil).
post #10 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not coming back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/arts/dance/bunheads-is-gone-breaking-pointe-endures.html?_r=0

I think it's safe to say most of its fanbase haven't even seen an episode yet.

CW Hinkle
post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

It's not coming back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/arts/dance/bunheads-is-gone-breaking-pointe-endures.html?_r=0

I think it's safe to say most of its fanbase haven't even seen an episode yet.

I watched 'em all, I was always a big Gilmore Girls fan, and hoped this one would hang around, but I should have known it wouldn't make it, it's afterall part of the ABC family and they always disappoint me. Unfortunately they have S.H.I.E.L.D. hopefully it will stick around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page