JCL
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Not sure what you mean there re: 2016. CBC won the rights from the IOC to broadcast in Canada (after joint bids with CTV failed?) - CTV have the rights this year in London. NBC won the rights from the IOC to broadcast in the USA. The BBC won the rights from the IOC to broadcast in the UK.
Each territory is handled separately by the IOC. What happens with NBC in the USA has no relevance to the rights for Canada. Or am I missing a point somewhere?
The BBC just do what they always do. They've got a home advantage this year - but have always gone very big on Olympic broadcasting (the IOC rate their coverage very highly aparently) Unlike the US, the BBC also has to cover the Commonwealth Games (a smaller scale Olympics open to the Commonwealth nations), as well as the World and European football championships - so probably get to do international large-scale sporting events a bit more often than NBC (are the Summer and WInter Olympics the only major international sporting events that NBC cover)?

Very factual, well informed, Sneals,

When the U.S. networks bid for the Olympics, they pretty well knew that their coverage will be seen (and scrutinized) in many of the largest cities in Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, etc etc) via cable, satellite or even over-the-air. They really don't care about the audience in those areas because they don't show up on their Neilsen ratings. When Canadian networks cover the Olympics, their coverage also spills over the border but not to the same extent as the traffic in the reverse direction. NBC usually would convince most if not all US cable systems to blackout the Canadian Olympics signals during the Olympics. However, Americans can still get CBC (and to a lesser extent CTV) via ATSC antennas (ironically and coincidentally the CBC had just shut off all their legacy NTSC towers on July 31 due to the analog phase-out, as previously announced). Those HD CBC signals are quite clear in places like Seattle and Buffalo.

NBC does cover other international sports... IAAF, FINA championships, Golden League (the latter is probably not on-site, they just bought a feed to pipe back to a US studio), I don't think they do the Commonwealth Games. Only the CBC cares in North America. Interestingly, NBC has recently started to carry Rugby, not live of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

Very factual, well informed, Sneals,
When the U.S. networks bid for the Olympics, they pretty well knew that their coverage will be seen (and scrutinized) in many of the largest cities in Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, etc etc) via cable, satellite or even over-the-air.

Yep - it's a bit like the BBC and RTE in Ireland. The BBC broadcast to Northern Ireland but are widely viewed (and in fact are on satellite platforms) in the Republic. RTE broadcast to the Republic, but are viewed in the North.

There may be some differences - in that the BBC may be included in ratings in the Republic - I'm not sure.

NBC know they'll be viewed in Canada in some areas - but I doubt they consider the reaction as Canadian viewers earn them $0.
Quote:
They really don't care about the audience in those areas because they don't show up on their Neilsen ratings. When Canadian networks cover the Olympics, their coverage also spills over the border but not to the same extent as the traffic in the reverse direction. NBC usually would convince most if not all US cable systems to blackout the Canadian Olympics signals during the Olympics.

Yep - that makes sense. The last thing a commercial US rights holder would want is people watching the same event on a non-rights holding (in their territory) platform. Every viewer lost to CBC/CTV is a potential commercial loss.
Quote:
However, Americans can still get CBC (and to a lesser extent CTV) via ATSC antennas (ironically and coincidentally the CBC had just shut off all their legacy NTSC towers on July 31 due to the analog phase-out, as previously announced). Those HD CBC signals are quite clear in places like Seattle and Buffalo.

Yep - same as RTE and the BBC in Ireland. (In Southern England you can usually receive French TV reasonably well (in fact since we now share a common digital TV system - DVB-T - it's easier than when we were PAL-I and France was SECAM-L - but the language difference makes this less of a similar situation. Norway/Sweden Denmark/Sweden France/Belgium Netherlands/Belgium are similar and often share language - or have mutually intelligible language - so the NBC/CBC or NBC/CTV issue is quite widespread)
Quote:
NBC does cover other international sports... IAAF, FINA championships, Golden League (the latter is probably not on-site, they just bought a feed to pipe back to a US studio), I don't think they do the Commonwealth Games. Only the CBC cares in North America. Interestingly, NBC has recently started to carry Rugby, not live of course.

Yep - Athletics and Swimming aren't really on the same scale as Commonwealths and World Cup Football are they ?

Commonwealths are presumably quite big in Canada (as a Commonwealth nation) - but would never be big in the US (as the US can't enter)
post #303 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Or they might not. Given how badly NBC has managed itself over the past years and the idiots in charge just on that basis alone NBC are worse than Fox. There is no way to predict how another network might have handled it.
All it would have taken for NBC not to have become a worldwide Olympic joke was to not edit out the memorial during the opening ceremony and air medal events live during the day and then replay them in prime time. Pretty simple thinking that any network could apply.

Sure, technically you're right, can't predict the future since it's the future. I enjoy baseball and I'm sensitive to camera work and such. There was a play in the 2011 NLCS that as I watched I literally said "I'm glad this isn't on Fox or we wouldn't be seeing such great camera work." It was Furcal's throw to first (with the kick.) Awesome throw and excellent camera work by the replay camera. It was blatantly obvious that Fox was getting as close as possible, like that's their "signature" look. ABC started that nonsense when they first got baseball. Whatever, it shows a lack of understanding of the game and it's beauty, but that's me. TBS's camera work, even from center field was far superior, in the sense of understanding the game and supporting it's dynamics.

Here's a vid of the play. It's case study in great camera work, especially the replay.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19861307

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #304 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Sure, technically you're right, can't predict the future since it's the future. I enjoy baseball and I'm sensitive to camera work and such. There was a play in the 2011 NLCS that as I watched I literally said "I'm glad this isn't on Fox or we wouldn't be seeing such great camera work." It was Furcal's throw to first (with the kick.) Awesome throw and excellent camera work by the replay camera. It was blatantly obvious that Fox was getting as close as possible, like that's their "signature" look. ABC started that nonsense when they first got baseball. Whatever, it shows a lack of understanding of the game and it's beauty, but that's me. TBS's camera work, even from center field was far superior, in the sense of understanding the game and supporting it's dynamics.
Here's a vid of the play. It's case study in great camera work, especially the replay.
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19861307

Yep - though in the case of the Olympics how much coverage does NBC add to the OBS provided host feeds? On some events I think they effectively do their own thing - but on others I think that they take a lot of the host feed, and just add some of their own cameras (tailored to the US competitors), so the difference in core coverage between networks of an Olympic event may be different to one where the US network is also providing the coverage?

I doubt any major US network would be massively different - the requirement to satisfy advertisers with high ratings in primetime will be what drives the editorial approach to the coverage - not what the viewer wants. That will be the same across all networks. The only thing that would change this is the IOC adding caveats to the rights agreement (like stipulating live coverage, free coverage etc.) - but with the huge cheque that NBC (and other US broadcasters would be the same) write - this probably isn't going to happen...
post #305 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Looks like track and field starts tomorrow, time to dust off that proxy software and get those BBC feeds. smile.gif
post #306 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Looks like track and field starts tomorrow, time to dust off that proxy software and get those BBC feeds. smile.gif

Freeloader! We paid for those 24 live HD feeds you know. tongue.gif

In Europe I believe quite a few people under the footprint of the satellite the BBC/ITV/C4/Sky use are tuning in to them (the BBC don't encrypt their domestic TV and Radio broadcasts)...
post #307 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Not sure what you mean there re: 2016. CBC won the rights from the IOC to broadcast in Canada (after joint bids with CTV failed?) - CTV have the rights this year in London. NBC won the rights from the IOC to broadcast in the USA. The BBC won the rights from the IOC to broadcast in the UK.
Each territory is handled separately by the IOC. What happens with NBC in the USA has no relevance to the rights for Canada. Or am I missing a point somewhere?
The BBC just do what they always do. They've got a home advantage this year - but have always gone very big on Olympic broadcasting (the IOC rate their coverage very highly aparently) Unlike the US, the BBC also has to cover the Commonwealth Games (a smaller scale Olympics open to the Commonwealth nations), as well as the World and European football championships - so probably get to do international large-scale sporting events a bit more often than NBC (are the Summer and WInter Olympics the only major international sporting events that NBC cover)?

Sorry what I meant was if you live in the US like I do your screwed until 2020. I made the mistake on the opening ceremonies trying to watch it via NBC big mistake. I went straight for the PC and immediately watched the replay through BBC1. I just love the way the Britt's handled this event and appreciate the commentary's very professional in my book. The following day I watched it in 3D with zero commentary and appreciate that coverage especially with no weasels talking over every event.
post #308 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). rolleyes.gif

TV Sports
NBC research undercuts assumptions over tape delay
By Michael Hiestand, USA Today - Aug. 2, 2012

Archery, says NBC Sports research head Alan Wurtzel, "is the new curling."

That's a reference to how curling became a surprise cable TV hit when NBC began featuring it starting with the 2002 Winter Games. In London Olympic coverage, says Wurtzel, archery so far is the top-drawing sport on cable TV - averaging about 1.5 million viewers - with Olympic basketball the runner-up attraction.

In a wide-ranging conference call Thursday, NBC reported across-the-board increases in TV audiences and digital traffic. And, says NBC Sports chairman Mark Lazarus, NBC is now selling ad time that it had held back to in case ratings had been disappointing and the network would had needed to compensate advertisers with so-called "make-good" ads. And Lazarus says that while NBC anticipated "losing about $200 million. Now, we'll break even - no qualifications. … And there's a small chance we could make a little bit of money."

NBC says its early research suggests viewers are much likely to watch its primetime coverage - and watch it longer - if they already know event results. Viewers that stream events live, says NBC, are 50% more likely to watch NBC's taped primetime than those who don't. NBC's ratings are up over Beijing on every channel and in every time slot. It's also getting increases in younger viewers, such as primetime viewing up 48% among girls aged 12-17.

Primetime ratings are up 10% over Beijing, where American swimmers won lots of medals and, because of time zone alignment, did so in primetime swimming coverage that was live in the U.S. East Coast and Central time zones, which have about 80% of the U.S. population.

Digitally, nbcolympics.com for the first time is carrying the live Olympic world TV feed and that's helping to boost streaming along with big increases in traffic from viewers using mobile device. NBC says 56% of the site's visitors didn't visit its 2010 Winter Games' site. And London's 68 million total streams so far is up 182% from Beijing -- with streams of live events up 300%.

Top live-stream attraction: Women's team gymnastics final Tuesday, which drew 1.4 million streams, followed by 1 million live streams of Michael Phelps breaking the record for Olympic medals Tuesday.

Lazarus acknowledged glitches such as an on-air Today show promotion that gave away an event result before it aired on NBC - "an unfortunate incident," he says -- as well as lots of technical glitches with streaming, especially early on. Asked about criticism of coverage, Lazarus says he's listened to the "vocal minority" but the TV/digital increases suggests "the overwhelming majority of users are voting with their (TV) clickers and (computer) mouses … and the silent majority is has been with us." (As opposed to the nattering nabobs of negativity in the media, to carry out the Nixon-era analogy.)

On whether NBC might show more - or even all - key Olympic live during U.S. daytime during the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, Lazarus didn't rule that out: "We'll continue to innovate. But I don't have a proclamation here today."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/story/2012-08-02/NBC-researcher-well-break-even/56701554/1

I'm going take a wild guess that "The Hunger Games" movie/books have a lot to do with the popularity of Archery in this Olympics. Shoot, the archery coach of the actress that plays the lead in the movie was competing this morning on NBC Sports Network for Team USA (had to leave for work so I don't know if she won) and she was whooping the Chinese player with a string of '10' bullseye shots.
post #309 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Glad you're enjoying it.

The Opening Ceremony is the only event that I've seen produced by the BBC.

Other than the one beach volleyball event that I watched (NBC capture), everything else has been from a capture of CTV, because they were LIVE. biggrin.gif

I've been watching the vests of the various camera crews and have yet to see a vest for NBC on either the gymnastics floor or the swimming floor. All have been OBS, except for one RT vest during swimming. Don't know who RT is.

Due to limited bandwidth, I won't be doing the streaming trick to get BBC, plus it won't be in HD (720p or 1080i).

The events that I watch will be done soon. I'm not into track-n-field events.

I hope to be able to get a BBC capture of the closing ceremony. I certainly won't be watching NBC.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #310 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

The Opening Ceremony is the only event that I've seen produced by the BBC.
Thought to be fair the BBC only produced the commentary (and one of the three BBC commentators got a bit of criticism here). The live TV coverage of the main event was produced by an independent 'Done and Dusted' (I think) - with the Athletes Procession bit produced by YLE (Finnish TV) who are the host broadcasters for the Track & Field events in the stadium (apart from the jumps which SVT of Sweden are doing). Usually the track and field host broadcasters would have covered the ceremony as well - but Danny Boyle wanted a separate TV production operation tailored to his vision - and I think that was a good call.

Ceremony coverage TV director was Hamish Hamilton, a Brit who also directed the recent Oscars broadcast I believe?
Quote:
Other than the one beach volleyball event that I watched (NBC capture), everything else has been from a capture of CTV, because they were LIVE. biggrin.gif
I've been watching the vests of the various camera crews and have yet to see a vest for NBC on either the gymnastics floor or the swimming floor. All have been OBS, except for one RT vest during swimming. Don't know who RT is.
Due to limited bandwidth, I won't be doing the streaming trick to get BBC, plus it won't be in HD (720p or 1080i).
The events that I watch will be done soon. I'm not into track-n-field events.
I hope to be able to get a BBC capture of the closing ceremony. I certainly won't be watching NBC.

The BBC internet streams are HD if you have the bandwith (I think). BBC HD streamed stuff is I think 3.2Mbs H264 at 720/25p.
post #311 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Freeloader! We paid for those 24 live HD feeds you know. tongue.gif
In Europe I believe quite a few people under the footprint of the satellite the BBC/ITV/C4/Sky use are tuning in to them (the BBC don't encrypt their domestic TV and Radio broadcasts)...
That's me!biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I'd be more than happy to pay for it if there was a way to facilitate it, and that goes for all sorts of content from all around the world, provide a method and I'll pay, otherwise I'll just continue to "freeload" it.wink.gif
post #312 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The BBC internet streams are HD if you have the bandwith (I think). BBC HD streamed stuff is I think 3.2Mbs H264 at 720/25p.
The BBC streams I was viewing the other day, and will be again tomorrow I'd expect, were very good quality, actually much more consistent than the stuttering and buffering that I was seeing quite often with the NBC streams.
post #313 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thought to be fair the BBC only produced the commentary (and one of the three BBC commentators got a bit of criticism here). The live TV coverage of the main event was produced by an independent 'Done and Dusted' (I think) - with the Athletes Procession bit produced by YLE (Finnish TV) who are the host broadcasters for the Track & Field events in the stadium (apart from the jumps which SVT of Sweden are doing).

Thanks for the update. Why did the commentator get picked on? I'll have to go back and watch the ceremony and listen to the commentary. I initially saw it via the EuroSport capture. Later, when I got the file, the 2 hr BBC pre-show.

The BBC did produce the 2 hr pre-show. biggrin.gif

The main point about watching the BBC/EuroSport versions is that it wasn't butchered by horrible editing and commercial interruption.
Quote:

I don't have the bandwidth for clean HD streaming, While my DSL is 4 Mbps incoming, with the website server operating, there aren't enough bits left to get a clean stream.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #314 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

I must have missed things over the years. I thought that the country that got to do the Olympics were the host broadcasters, in this case the BBC, as they won the host country broadcast rights. So, how can Finland be host broadcasters, as well as Sweden?

So, who were the producing countries for swimming/diving/gymnastics?

Color me confused.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #315 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

IMO every Olympics they should switch networks, something fresh never hurts... and maybe they'll do a better effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

That's the thing.. everyone seems to make it seem like anyone other than NBC could do it better. Really, these networks have all done it out of the same playbook, and looking at the other options doesn't really show a better option.
Don't know if that would be the solution. If each network is only in it for 1 Olympics at a time, as they going to be as into it as a network that has multiple Olympics in front of them? Of course, any change in the U.S. rights holder would have to win the bid for it. And it's bid around 2 decades since that has happened.
Except this is exactly how the Super Bowl is handled. Each of the the three networks with an NFL contract gets it in rotation. Because none of them gets it two years in a row, there's a huge effort to put on a good show to beat out the previous guy.

By having a long term contract with one network, it discourages any sort of innovation or risk taking on the part of that network.

The winter and summer games could be rotated through the big four networks, with a different order for each set of games to ensure no network gets back to back games in either season.
post #316 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

CTV carried the Women's Gymnastics All-Around Final live today. It also aired a condensed version of it at the Supper hour (7:00 - 8:00 pm local) -- basically cutting out the dead-air time but did not add any of the dramatic bells and whistles, and time-stretching that NBC will no doubt do for it's prime time presentation. CTV is passing along all the graphics by the Host Broadcasting Feed, so "Gabrielle Douglas" is spelled out in full rather than the "Gabby Douglas" that NBC is using. NBC has access to all the fonts and graphics packages of the HBS but clearly "Americanizing" some of the athletes' names for its own audience.
post #317 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I must have missed things over the years. I thought that the country that got to do the Olympics were the host broadcasters, in this case the BBC, as they won the host country broadcast rights.

No - that hasn't been the case for a number of year - the events are just too big for a single broadcaster to cover in most countries.

OBS - Olympic Broadcasting Services - are the official host broadcasters. The London OBS operation has recruited a number of key personnel from the BBC though. London 2012 is the first games OBS have been properly recognised as host, but in reality it has been the case for a while. For many games for decades (particularly in smaller countries like Greece or Australia with relatively small domestic TV broadcast operations) overseas broadcasters (usually public service broadcasters) have provided assistance. Loads of European production facilities were shipped out to Beijing 4 years ago for instance.

The BBC are London 2012 domestic rights holders, and are also producing the host feeds for the rowing, tennis (well it is at Wimbledon), boxing and football (well we do quite a lot of that as well) for OBS.

YLE and SVT are producing the host feeds for the Athletics and Ceremonies - as they also did 4 years ago in Beijing. Both YLE and SVT are strong, high quality public service broadcasters who have expertise in covering Athletics - as it is popular domestically and there are major competitions in Helsinki, Stockholm, Gothenburg etc.

CCTV of China are host broadcasters for the gymnastics, NOS of the Netherlands the road racing and marathon. OBS have also put together their own teams for a large number of events.

http://www.televisual.com/blog-detail/London-2012-the-broadcast-challenge_bid-317.html has more details (Though it is from January before the announcement of the number of Red Button streams increasing from 5 SD to 24HD and 24SD)

(The BBC were host broadcasters for the rowing in Beijing, and the Tennis in Barcelona in '92 - as well as Bob/Luge at the Winters in '94 and I think '98)
Quote:
So, how can Finland be host broadcasters, as well as Sweden?

Because OBS has asked them to, they are able to, are respected and have experience, and because they did a decent job 4 years ago in Beijing I guess? Loads of countries get involved - Finland, Sweden, Korea, Japan, Spain, Netherlands, Slovakia, Greece, Belgium - and even Cuba (yep - the non-Beach Volleyball coverage is host produced by Cuban TV) Some of these countries/broadcasters also did stuff in Beijing - though it's not entirely the same.
Quote:
So, who were the producing countries for swimming/diving/gymnastics?
Swimming and Diving are OBS produced (i.e. OBS have sourced a production team and facilities of their own). I think in Beijing the Australian rights holders may have been involved, but I think the rights may have changed hands, meaning that expertise wasn't available?

Gymnastics, as I mentioned, CCTV of China.
Quote:
Color me confused.

It's a common misconception that the domestic rights holder also provides the coverage. These days that is simply impossible - there's too much for any single broadcaster to have enough in-house talent to cover. Most modern high profile sporting events - World Cup, European Cup, Formula 1 - have moved to the model of a single host broadcaster. That way you can guarantee quality irrespective of the quality of the host country's broadcast rights holders.

The BBC commentary teams have been slightly critical of some of the host coverage of London 2012 - reminding people that the BBC are NOT producing the feeds...
post #318 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Except this is exactly how the Super Bowl is handled. Each of the the three networks with an NFL contract gets it in rotation. Because none of them gets it two years in a row, there's a huge effort to put on a good show to beat out the previous guy.
By having a long term contract with one network, it discourages any sort of innovation or risk taking on the part of that network.
The winter and summer games could be rotated through the big four networks, with a different order for each set of games to ensure no network gets back to back games in either season.

You could argue that there is also a logic to allowing a network to gain experience and learn from previous years work on an event. There are in some cases major investments made in facilities that will last for 2 or 3 games. ISTR that NBC have some equipment that they bought for Athens and that was used in Beijing and may well be used in London (communications gear I think)

The Superbowl is a very important single event. It's a football game and an entertainment show. It's an amazingly produced event, and spectacular. It's not on the same scale as the Olympics though. I think I read that there are 5,600 hours of coverage being archived at London 2012. That's a LOT of coverage...
post #319 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Why did the commentator get picked on? I'll have to go back and watch the ceremony and listen to the commentary.
Keep an ear out for local boy (and long standing BBC Radio DJ) Trevor Nelson. Huw and Hazel also did Beijing, but toned it down and reduced what they said quite a lot this time around. Huw had a proper meeting with Danny Boyle I believe - which must have helped.
Quote:
I initially saw it via the EuroSport capture. Later, when I got the file, the 2 hr BBC pre-show.
The BBC did produce the 2 hr pre-show. biggrin.gif
Yep - the pre-show was a different kettle of fish. That had Sue Barker and Gary Lineker - two of the main BBC One presenters (anchors) in-vision with a build-up. That worked pretty well - pre-shows are tricky - as you want to build excitement but don't have much to show. Bouncing around the Olympic venues worked well. And that was definitely a BBC Sport production. I know people who worked on it!
Quote:
The main point about watching the BBC/EuroSport versions is that it wasn't butchered by horrible editing and commercial interruption.
The BBC are obviously commercial free - so we never have that issue (though if you work on live TV shows for the BBC you are on-air continuously with no breaks and have to produce a lot more content - so it's a twin-edged sword...)
Quote:
I don't have the bandwidth for clean HD streaming, While my DSL is 4 Mbps incoming, with the website server operating, there aren't enough bits left to get a clean stream.
Ah - I'm lucky. I live reasonably near the phone exchange so get 18Mbs via ADSL 2+.
post #320 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Now on a slightly different topic.......

... for the very few people who still own a 4:3 cathode ray tube (CRT) TV set.... Almost all of the networks in Canada that carry the Olympics will display the entire 16:9 feed from the host on their standard-def channels, i.e. letterboxing. Good call. Those people may not benefit from the extra pixels of High Definition, at least they get the whole picture. But when we swtich to the peacock network on the CRT, we get a full frame display -- i.e. the 4:3 center-cut, with the sides of the 16:9 feed hacked off. They are not only butchering the competition, they are butchering their own HD feed for the audience who are still on analog! It's just such an unpleasant picture to look at, on the CRT.. This goes to show how BEHIND THE TIMES these guys are.
post #321 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Once again, we wanted to see the score of the skinny Russian girl's floor performance, especially after telling us what she needed to get gold. They showed that performance and the reaction to score getting posted, but THEY NEVER SHOWED HER SCORE for the floor exercise! Looked like a really good routine, I wanted to see the score. But once again, we don't get the score. We didn't the final overall scores, but how can they not show the score for the event they claim she didn't get high enough to win the gold medal in??

Seriously, I can't be the only one ticked off with this, and this is something that NBC has absolutely no excuse for.
post #322 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Once again, we wanted to see the score of the skinny Russian girl's floor performance, especially after telling us what she needed to get gold. They showed that performance and the reaction to score getting posted, but THEY NEVER SHOWED HER SCORE for the floor exercise! Looked like a really good routine, I wanted to see the score. But once again, we don't get the score. We didn't the final overall scores, but how can they not show the score for the event they claim she didn't get high enough to win the gold medal in??
Seriously, I can't be the only one ticked off with this, and this is something that NBC has absolutely no excuse for.

About 3 minutes after that performance, after confirming Douglas getting the gold, NBC did flash on the screen the leaderboard showing the first 4 finishers and their total scores. They do make it hard for you purists. If you have a calculator, just deduct their scores at the end of the previous round from the final round, and you'll get your answer.
post #323 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

post #324 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The BBC commentary teams have been slightly critical of some of the host coverage of London 2012 - reminding people that the BBC are NOT producing the feeds...

Thanks for the concise update as to what is going on. Learned something new today.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #325 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Keep an ear out for local boy (and long standing BBC Radio DJ) Trevor Nelson. Huw and Hazel also did Beijing, but toned it down and reduced what they said quite a lot this time around. Huw had a proper meeting with Danny Boyle I believe - which must have helped.

Doesn't explain what happened, i.e., what was said to get picked on. Plus, I can't keep an ear out.
Quote:
Ah - I'm lucky. I live reasonably near the phone exchange so get 18Mbs via ADSL 2+.

Not offered in my area. My ISP is TDS, while the analog phone lines are in AT&T territory. I asked about dual pair DSL, so the I could increase my speed, but it is not available. What AT&T offers sucks. They are not pulling fiber. TDS is, in areas that they own. A friend works for TDS and he now has fiber.

Unfortunately, my sat dishes are outside of the Astra footprint mad.gifbiggrin.gif

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #326 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But when we swtich to the peacock network on the CRT, we get a full frame display -- i.e. the 4:3 center-cut, with the sides of the 16:9 feed hacked off. They are not only butchering the competition, they are butchering their own HD feed for the audience who are still on analog! It's just such an unpleasant picture to look at, on the CRT.. This goes to show how BEHIND THE TIMES these guys are.

Point of order:

No U.S. OTA broadcaster has a SD feed anymore. If you are watching SD, it is your provider that is supplying the image from the HD feed. IIRC, NBC is not using the aspect ratio bits to signal providers what to do with the HD image. As a result, the provider plays it safe and does a center cut of the HD.

So, don't blame NBC, it is not their fault, sort-of.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #327 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

They are NBC, they don't need an excuse. biggrin.gif

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #328 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

That's because there are 3 OTA rights holders with the NFL and they don't want to give 1 of them all the Super Bowls. And the Super Bowl comes around once every year as the cap to an entire season of football production. It's not exactly a one off event like the Olympics which comes along once every 2 years and gets crammed into 2 1/2 weeks with almost nothing else that could even come close to preparing you for it. So it's not really the same comparison. There's a reason why the IOC likes to package 2 games at a time (and that's true in every country) and likes locking in long term deals, not just because of the money involved. They want to work with the same company rather than having to go through a new one every time around.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #329 of 799 Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

While it is obviously way late, I just got to watch the 1080i OBS 3 meter synchro diving.

Yep, best watched clean and without commercial interruption.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #330 of 799 Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

NBC usually would convince most if not all US cable systems to blackout the Canadian Olympics signals during the Olympics.

Carriage of CBC (typically either CBWT in Winnipeg or CBMT in Montreal) on cable systems is pretty widespread in the northern third of Minnesota and the northeastern corner of North Dakota, and, as far as I know, the network was never blacked out during the Olympics. In fact, I've lived in a couple CBC "territories" within this area and usually greatly preferred watching CBC over NBC when the Olympics were on. It was always my feeling that others in the area thought the same way. CBC's hockey coverage gets high marks in the area as well.

CTV (via CKY in Winnipeg) is also carried on cable in this region, but to a much, much lesser extent. I don't know if that's blacked out during during the Olympics, but I doubt it since its signal is never altered during the rest of the year. When CTV and an American network are airing the exact same show in primetime, there's no blacking out or sim-subbing or whatever of the Canadian network. Actually, due to the lighter commercial load, CTV will often be "ahead" of the American network following the first commercial break.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page