post #361 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

Here's my once-every-four-year Imperial vs Metric comment.....
During the Shot Put coverage (which NBC shrunk, we didn't need to go into that again), we have these huge guys shooting the ball metres into the air ... falling onto the field with horizontal markers around 17-, 19-, 21- metre marks. They are all visible to the audience, and the viewers. Essentially, and to make a long-story short, the guys making beyond the 21-metre mark will be on the podium, those who didn't will not. It's so simple! But here's what NBC did ... after every throw, the announcers converted every one of the distances into feet and inches! The graphics were also displayed in feet and inches. As a viewer, I find this very disconcerting and confusing -- it does not help me to follow who is ahead of who, who's in or out. Another example of NBCFail.

Seriously?

The UK is also still heavily imperial (i.e. non-metric) - we measure our roads in miles, speeds in miles per hour, and fuel economy in miles per gallon (though our gallons are different capacity to US gallons). We still drink pints of beer, and we weigh ourselves in pounds (and stone - 1 stone = 14 pounds), and quote our heights in feet and inches. We buy clothes with inch waist, chest and inside leg measurements. (Fahrenheit has kind of died out though - Celsius/Centigrade is pretty universal for temperature.)

However we don't convert any athletics distances to yards, feet and inches... That's crazy. All the line markings and superimposed graphics are in metres - the events are measured in metres (100m, 200m, 400m etc.) Do NBC really do that?

As we're part of Europe we also have to cope with "mks" units - and our supermarkets primarily sell litres of liquids and kg of produce. And all science classes are based on this - but I would guess that the US uses mks for scientific stuff as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Did anyone watch the gymnastics special last night when they were talking about the "Magnificent Seven"? Who was the gymnast that flung off the uneven bars? I was doing other things and couldn't tell but it was one of the most heart stopping grotesque things I think I've ever seen that wasn't Hollywood generated.
post #363 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). cool.gif
Critic's Notes
#NBCfail Economics
By Jeff Jarvis, HuffingtonPost.com
The BBC is superserving its viewers. I went to TunnelBear so I could sample what the BBC is offering on the air and in its iPlayer -- which, of course, we can't use in the U.S. -- and it's awesome. But, of course, the BBC is supported by its viewers' fees. So the argument is that the BBC serves viewers because they're the boss while NBC serves advertisers because they pay the bills.
Jeff Jarvis is the author of 'Public Parts' and 'What Would Google Do?'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-jarvis/nbcfail-economics_b_1718379.html?utm_hp_ref=tv&ir=TV

That's the pertinent bit. The BBC licence fee is a direct funding link from viewer to broadcaster - we all directly pay for the BBC in the UK - and the BBC has a duty to serve us, and have the interests of its audience at its core. The BBC also paid FAR less than NBC for the rights to the games (but we are a smaller country and our broadcast industry generates less commercial revenue)

NBC has a duty to make money, and the advertisers AND viewers are the route to generating this.

Also worth noting that the BBC has approx 700 staff at 2012, compared to NBC's 2700... (And unlike NBC, the BBC don't have their own branches of Starbucks and Pret a Manger within their IBC area...)
post #364 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Did anyone watch the gymnastics special last night when they were talking about the "Magnificent Seven"? Who was the gymnast that flung off the uneven bars? I was doing other things and couldn't tell but it was one of the most heart stopping grotesque things I think I've ever seen that wasn't Hollywood generated.

That was Keri Strug that came off of the uneven bars like that. She was also the one that injured her ankle during the vault that gave Team USA the gold medal.
post #365 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking12370 View Post

That was Keri Strug that came off of the uneven bars like that. She was also the one that injured her ankle during the vault that gave Team USA the gold medal.
There's a classic Sportscenter promo that was made after that vault where she's getting carried around by various anchors, who pass her off to each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNlHLC3qf9o

I think there's another version where she babbles at everyone who carries her.
post #366 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Seriously? . . . .
However we don't convert any athletics distances to yards, feet and inches... That's crazy. All the line markings and superimposed graphics are in metres - the events are measured in metres (100m, 200m, 400m etc.) Do NBC really do that?

No issue on track events. The US uses metric for the names of events 100 m, 200 m, etc.
The issue is field events (jumps and throws) where performance is a measured distance.
Even in the US, at college level and above, it is measured in metric. However, it is usually converted to feet and inches for announcement to the media and audience.
That is what we are complaining about. It creates a culture of neighborhood athletes, not world athletes.

If references lines for throws are shown on the field, it is EXTREMELY confusing to watch officials measure in metric when the damned announcer yacks in feet and inches.
post #367 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 01:47 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

No issue on track events. The US uses metric for the names of events 100 m, 200 m, etc.
The issue is field events (jumps and throws) where performance is a measured distance.
Even in the US, at college level and above, it is measured in metric. However, it is usually converted to feet and inches for announcement to the media and audience.
That is what we are complaining about. It creates a culture of neighborhood athletes, not world athletes.
If references lines for throws are shown on the field, it is EXTREMELY confusing to watch officials measure in metric when the damned announcer yacks in feet and inches.

In other words, be prepared for week 2 when the field events are getting their daily 2 minutes of coverage in prime time on NBC. I agree with the previous post... The field events take a long time to complete. Ended up being edited into little chunks that can't generate ANY excitement or suspense for American viewers. I would rather watch those on CTV, with real time results announced in metric!!
post #368 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

On weekends, NBC's daytime coverage is live to all time zones. (9:00 am to 6:00 pm eastern, 6:00 am to 3:00 pm pacific). Only prime time coverage retains the identical time slot (8pm to midnight) for all time zones.

Federer vs Murray on Sunday will be live to all time zones in the U.S.
post #369 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

In other words, be prepared for week 2 when the field events are getting their daily 2 minutes of coverage in prime time on NBC. I agree with the previous post... The field events take a long time to complete. Ended up being edited into little chunks that can't generate ANY excitement or suspense for American viewers. I would rather watch those on CTV, with real time results announced in metric!!

3D coverage is really good with British commentary no editing here in Los Angeles on TWC. Kudos to Panasonic for staying the course!
post #370 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There were many events live on NBC today including Women's Singles Tennis - Gold Medal Match, USA vs RUS Men's Volleyball, Men's 10,000m and USA vs RUS Beach Volleyball.
post #371 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

There were many events live on NBC today including Women's Singles Tennis - Gold Medal Match, USA vs RUS Men's Volleyball, Men's 10,000m and USA vs RUS Beach Volleyball.

Phelps winning his final gold in the pool must have been live on NBC. That was a moment of amazing Olympic history. Amazingly classy for Michael and the US team to end with a "Thank You London" banner.

Today has been an amazing day of live sport on the BBC. Rowing, cycling and athletics golds. All live. Just amazing. Really a fantastic day and night of television here. Total shared experience stuff - just had to be watched live - together with people around the world. (It was the UK's best gold medal day since 1908...)

Tonight in the athletics stadium was just amazing.
post #372 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

3D coverage is really good with British commentary no editing here in Los Angeles on TWC. Kudos to Panasonic for staying the course!

It's been hiliarious watching the 2D coverage live all night. You keep seeing the 3D cameras (with two lenses) in shot.
post #373 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Phelps winning his final gold in the pool has to have been live on NBC. That was a moment of amazing Olympic history. Amazingly classy for Michael and the US team to end with a "Thank You London" banner.

Are you saying it was live on NBC, or it should have been live?

I didn't trust NBC to show it live, so I watched the BBC feed. http://livetvcafe.net/video/X6R47664W52Y/BBC-ONE

So I don't know if NBC showed it, or held it for tonight. BTW, the BBC feed wasn't HD quality, so I will DVR the NBC tonight anyway.
post #374 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Are you saying it was live on NBC, or it should have been live?
Can't believe it wouldn't have been. I'm in the UK watching the BBC. (Yep - have I mentioned the 24 live HD channels on satellite - with no subscription cost? Oh - I have...)
Quote:
I didn't trust NBC to show it live, so I watched the BBC feed. http://livetvcafe.net/video/X6R47664W52Y/BBC-ONE
Hope you enjoyed the BBC feed. It's HD here - and the online streams we get are pretty good.

We're quite proud of the way the BBC has covered the games here. Basically BBC One has been wall-to-wall Olympics coverage (apart from news - Syria is still in the headlines) - mix of live and updates/highlights. BBC Three doing the same. BBC Two almost entirely Olympics free for those viewers who want to watch something else. Apparently the other channels have kept with their normal schedules. No-one is watching them though...
post #375 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope you enjoyed the BBC feed. It's HD here - and the online streams we get are pretty good.
We're quite proud of the way the BBC has covered the games here.

I definitely enjoyed the BBC feed. The announcers were good. I don't remember seeing any commercials, so is that the norm? I mean for BBC, not the internet feed.

They, of course, focused on the Brit athletes.
post #376 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

NBC is rarely live. Today was another weird example, they showed the 10K men live, and then right before the 100m women, they'd switched to gymnastics. What a joke...

The only good thing is the online coverage, where you basically can watch everything live.
post #377 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

NBC is rarely live. Today was another weird example, they showed the 10K men live, and then right before the 100m women, they'd switched to gymnastics. What a joke...
The only good thing is the online coverage, where you basically can watch everything live.
Except there's a gazillion commercial inserts in those online live feeds, with completely nonsensical breaks. I went back to the BBC feeds, it was like night and day. I won't be using those NBC online feeds anymore.
post #378 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I definitely enjoyed the BBC feed. The announcers were good. I don't remember seeing any commercials, so is that the norm? I mean for BBC, not the internet feed.
They, of course, focused on the Brit athletes.

The BBC in the UK don't have any commercial breaks on any outlet - whether on TV, Radio or Online. We pay US$230/year if we own a TV (it's a legal requirement - regarded by many as a 'TV Tax'), and that goes to fund BBC TV, Radio and Internet services. The BBC carries no advertising or sponsorship in the UK, and has no duty to advertisers or sponsors as a result. It has only a duty to its viewers.

This means the 24 Live BBC HD and SD feeds we have of Olympic events are also entirely commercial-free, as are all of the BBC online streams and catch-up services like iPlayer...

The BBC use IP geolocation - so if you access some of the services that are also available to non-UK viewers from overseas, you WILL see advertising embedded in webvideo and webpages. UK viewers don't see those.

(The BBC is not alone in this regard. A number of European broadcasters, particularly in Scandinavia, followed the BBC model and have commercial-free public service broadcasters. Others have a relatively small amount of heavily regulated advertising)
post #379 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

This is on a triple monitor 5760 x 1080 (original resolution). I reduced the size so its easier to view. I just want to show the BBC streaming website.

xylon3monitorup.jpg

post #380 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The first thing you notice about the BBC site is how clean and organized it is. Go to the NBC site and it's full of advertisements and just loaded with screen clutter, and it's a pain to even navigate, I went down several deadends just trying to initiate the feeds I wanted. The NBC site is crap, plain and simple.
post #381 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The NBC site is crap, plain and simple.

I have uverse, so I qualify for the NBC streaming. But it would never let me register. So I'm better off not using them, and never seeing any of their ads is a bonus.
post #382 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker2001 View Post

As someone who has been known to defend NBC.. I'm pissed at this one. Their promotion of the online coverage made it sound like it would include the ceremonies. Which makes me wonder if that was an honest mistake or something that just got lost in translation closer to games time.
Either way.. I have no problem with NBC only showing it in primetime on TV and not live in the afternoon, let alone on a cable network. But at least give us the option of watching online. Give it to us without commentary so that it's a different product than what gets shown on TV. Isn't that the draw of the rest of the online coverage? Don't give us this nonsense that we need context. Social media and dozens of websites can do that for us.

new to this thread, so catching up on the comments. My complaint with the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony was partially that it wasn't live but more that I found their running commentary on it to be quite intrusive; I stopped viewing after about 30 minutes or so and then watched the 3d broadcast on Saturday morning.
post #383 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Only prime time coverage retains the identical time slot (8pm to midnight) for all time zones.

Not true. Central is 7-11. Mountain is also 7-11.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #384 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Liked: 15
Just wait till Russia in 2014...We will get to embrace the 8 hour time difference smile.gif
post #385 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Phelps winning his final gold in the pool must have been live on NBC. That was a moment of amazing Olympic history. Amazingly classy for Michael and the US team to end with a "Thank You London" banner.

Anyone have a link to a photo of the banner? I've looked on the London Olympic site and the Sports Illustrated site and have not found an image.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #386 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Not true. Central is 7-11. Mountain is also 7-11.

I forgot about that. Thanks for the clarification. You guys out in the mid-west get to sleep earlier. :-) Do you get the morning talk shows at 7:00 or 6:00?
post #387 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 180
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' thread). cool.gif

TV Notes
NBC To Air Michael Phelps Special Sunday
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Aug. 4, 2012

On the last night of his Olympic career, NBC announced today that it will broadcast Michael Phelps: America’s Golden Champion at 7 PM on Sunday. The one-hour special will be an “intimate look at 18-time gold medalist and 22-time overall Olympic medalist”.

Tonight, NBC Olympics pointman Bob Costas interviewed Phelps who is the most decorated Olympian ever. The 27-year old announced his intention to retire from Olympic competition after this year’s games and had his last turn as an Olympian today on the American men’s 4×100 meter medley relay.

NBC also will be airing Gymnastics, Beach Volleyball, Track and Field, and Diving during primetime Sunday as scheduled.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/nbc-michael-phelps-special-london-olympics-bob-costas-xxx-summer-games-swimming-greatest-olympian/
post #388 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I forgot about that. Thanks for the clarification. You guys out in the mid-west get to sleep earlier. :-) Do you get the morning talk shows at 7:00 or 6:00?

I don't watch the morning talk shows. But, for ABC I believe we get the 2nd hour live and the first hour delayed and shown after the 2nd hour. Don't know about CBS or NBC.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #389 of 799 Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

It's been hiliarious watching the 2D coverage live all night. You keep seeing the 3D cameras (with two lenses) in shot.

I'm also able to capture the 3D events via firewire to my PC and PDVD plays it back in stereoscopic perfectly.smile.gif PC is all ready for the 1am to 7am events if they ever get the scheduling right. Todays recordings were cut short due to bad guide info.mad.gif But there was a funny moment when the 3D camera was trying to avoid the 2D camera boom on the left side, then you would see a 3D camera with no one manning the station lol.
post #390 of 799 Old 08-05-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Anyone have a link to a photo of the banner? I've looked on the London Olympic site and the Sports Illustrated site and have not found an image.

Found this on Twitter : https://twitter.com/SoyBienEnfadosa/status/231848661838098432/photo/1
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page