Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

The best Women soccer match I have ever seen.

I agree. Although the Women's World Cup Final between Japan and the United States last year was an excellent game, this Olympics match tops it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Some of the commentary on NBC's TV coverage is coming from New York. I was watching equestrian coverage on one of NBC's networks the other day and the commentators basically admitted they weren't actually onsite. There's a Wikipedia list here indicating what commentary is being provided from New York, but no reference is given so you might not want to trust it 100%.

Incidentally, there are no NBC commentators for sailing as that is the only sport NBC is not providing any TV coverage of. That's common, though; I can't remember any recent Olympics where that sport was shown at length on television, or really even mentioned other than perhaps in passing. The first time I was able to watch an Olympic sailing race in full was on an internet stream during Beijing 2008.
post #453 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

Incidentally, there are no NBC commentators for sailing as that is the only sport NBC is not providing any TV coverage of. That's common, though; I can't remember any recent Olympics where that sport was shown at length on television, or really even mentioned other than perhaps in passing. The first time I was able to watch an Olympic sailing race in full was on an internet stream during Beijing 2008.

That's a pity - this year it's been revolutionised on the BBC by excellent GPS tracked 3D graphics - with overlays showing who is in the lead, distances between boats etc. It's also one of the few sports that the BBC is permanently providing additional production on - whether its on a major network channel or not. Most of the 24 BBC HD Olympic channels are basically just OBS host feeds with BBC commentary - or no commentary occasionally.

However the sailing, even when just on an Olympic channel, has full production with a shore-based presenter, a presenter in a boat - who is interviewing people just after they cross the line, and the additional 3D graphics I mentioned, as well as additional cameras. Interestingly - this is also what is being shown on the big screen in the spectator area. The use of live on-board cameras (like F1) has also really enhanced it (they may have had these before - but the total coverage really makes it work)

We do have a strong sailing heritage - and Team GB's Ben Ainslie has just won his 4th consecutive Sailing Gold (he won Silver in Atlanta - aged 19 I think - then Gold in Sydney, Athens, Beijing and now London (though the sailing is quite a long way from London!)...)

I tried watching sailing during Athens and Beijing and it didn't really work for me on the TV. This year it was great.
post #454 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
NBC usually has the commentators who are not at the event mention that they are doing the commentary from NBC's studios in NY.

The coverage on NBC does not have a internet simulcast so it's odd when the NBC live coverage of an event has announcers yet the event feed is just event sound.
post #455 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

The best Women soccer match I have ever seen.
With the best spoiler alert ever, provided by CBS's Bob Schieffer on tonight's CBS Evening News broadcast:
"The US Women's Soccer team played a real nailbiter in London today. Now if you do not want to know what happened, ahh, you know, go get under the bed or something and close your eyes and ears. If you do want to know, we'll tell ya"
God, I love that old guy.
post #456 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

With the best spoiler alert ever, provided by CBS's Bob Schieffer on tonight's CBS Evening News broadcast:
"The US Women's Soccer team played a real nailbiter in London today. Now if you do not want to know what happened, ahh, you know, go get under the bed or something and close your eyes and ears. If you do want to know, we'll tell ya"
God, I love that old guy.

The BBC used to do that every Saturday evening on the evening news. Traditonally "Match of the Day" (a long running BBC football highlight show) which rounds up the day's action, follows the BBC evening news.

The news presenters would always say 'Full coverage on Match of the Day after this programme, if you don't want to know the results - look away now' and the score graphics would be shown, with no voice over, for a brief period! This went on for years...

Good of CBS to at least acknowledge it as a rival broadcaster, albeit in a witty way. (And Bob Schieffer is a class act)
post #457 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Oddly, "go get under the bed or something and close your eyes and ears'" is usually the highlight of Jim Cantore's storm reporting on Weather Center.
post #458 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 93

It seems that if the stewards had taken the complaints about the guy seriously, the bottle throwing would never have happened.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #459 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The coverage of men's beach volleyball Quarterfinal on NBC is very annoying as they are not showing it start to finish..
They were showing the second set stopped and went to diving, back to beach volley ball, commercials, a non Olympics related filler segment at 9pm ET, more commercials before they go back to the finish of the second set.
We are in a break before the third set.
For an event like this it's silly to not show the match in full when all the coverage is taped.
You can't watch the quarter final matches replay on NBC Olympics Extra because they are holding the matches for NBC.
post #460 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

I agree. Although the Women's World Cup Final between Japan and the United States last year was an excellent game, this Olympics match tops it.

The world cup final was great, other than that it had to go to the penalty kicks to decide the winner. Today's game was all around outstanding, including the awesome finish at the very end of extra time in the second overtime to avoid the PKs. Although I would imagine some Canadian fans may not be too happy with the couple crucial and controversial calls that gave the US the good opportunity to tie it up to take it into the extra periods though... It really was a highly entertaining, well played and exciting game though.

ron
post #461 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Honestly don't waste your time with anything NBC, in their own way they are making Olympic history themselves, by having the worlds worst live/tape delayed coverage EVER......
BBC is just a breath of fresh air professional commentary brilliant coverage and I can absorb the atmosphere without commercials. No live black outs unlike the nbcolympics site and iplayer doesn't crash.
post #462 of 799 Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

Maybe NBC could give this man a job.
post #463 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I don't mind hte tape delay... if they would have it live on one of the other 6 channels so I could DVR it during the day. It really irritates me that the for the men's and women's beach volleyball matches the past 2 nights I only got to see half the match (if that), when they show me all of Russia vs. Serbia earlier int he day.

I don't even mind the puff pieces much (some are interesting, some like last night's are terrible, and all are fast-forwardable), bu tdon't put those pieces in at the expense of the sport.
post #464 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I don't mind hte tape delay... if they would have it live on one of the other 6 channels so I could DVR it during the day. It really irritates me that the for the men's and women's beach volleyball matches the past 2 nights I only got to see half the match (if that), when they show me all of Russia vs. Serbia earlier int he day.
I don't even mind the puff pieces much (some are interesting, some like last night's are terrible, and all are fast-forwardable), bu tdon't put those pieces in at the expense of the sport.

To the point of putting "puff pieces" in at the expense of the sport, I halfway think this is where NBC has gotten it wrong and are in fact missing more effective marketing opportunities. The Olympics in and of itself is about sport and the temporary "truce" of nations if you will to compete. So I feel that the sport, whichever it is that you choose to broadcast, should come first. Within a given sport there may be a story, which may be of interest to some and less so to others. But regardless, IMO, there should be relevance to the sport and certainly should not run at the expense of the sport. But this is where I feel that NBC has an opportunity to "introduce" the piece and then direct people to go online to see it in it's entirety. In doing this, they can run an marketing spot before it and get more direct impact on that particular audience. The GMT spot last night was interesting to me but I also felt it was very out of place for a prime time spot that could have included more sport. Initially, I felt like that could have kicked off coverage and I personally would have gladly gone to the internet to view that piece. And they could have thrown in an Omega ad at the beginning. And I also think, as big a fan as I am, that running such prominent gymnastics promos during "track and field" time is a little disrespectful and even overkill. But perhaps it's just me but while I realize there are some individual events going on, the other big marketing event, being track and field, is on stage now and that's where the focus should be placed. They didn't run track and field promos during gymnastics. And I'm just a little worn out from it is all.

One last thing.....they really really need to stop saying that Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian ever. He's is no question one of the greats but being the most decorated does not make him the greatest!
post #465 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

One last thing.....they really really need to stop saying that Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian ever. He's is no question one of the greats but being the most decorated does not make him the greatest!

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this. Swimming is a sport where you can win multiple medals at a single Olympics, as you can compete in multiple events in swimming. Cycling and Gymnastics are similar.

When you compare it to rowing - where you can compete in one or possibly two, or sailing, where you can usually only compete in one, it's difficult to compare. If you only get one event to compete in - but win Gold at 5 consecutive games, that also makes you a pretty amazing Olympian? I think the obsession with being the greatest is tricky - how do you compare such massively varying sports?
post #466 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Poor long distance runners can only run once per olympics... lots of events that you can only compete once...

The decathlon guys should be given 10 medals instead of 10.. LOL

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #467 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I mean 1... (damn it new forums won't let me edit)...

post #468 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

And again, I absolutely do not turn my nose up at Phelps' accomplishments or his abilities. But frankly, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in Olympic sport if not all sport was Keri Strug. Her heart went way beyond talent. Phelps was involved in some great Olympic drama but he did not sacrifice his career for his team or his country to win gold. Granted, the opportunity didn't present itself and frankly, I personally think if it did he would have. But that fate wasn't his.
raaj likes this.
post #469 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes - and no-one can dispute that Phelps is one of the greats. I just don't think there is any point in selecting one person to be 'the greatest'.
post #470 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Here here....It may sound corny but I'm proud of all of our athletes that represent the U.S. well win or lose.
post #471 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
haven't read through this whole thread, but what is wrong with the nbc broadcasts????

i'm getting motion artifiacts just from the legs of the sprinters. wtf??

watching via dish on both local s.f. nbc and their other olympic channels.

what i'm seeing is about as bad of a sports broadcast as i've ever seen.

neflixis our nemesis
post #472 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

haven't read through this whole thread, but what is wrong with the nbc broadcasts????

It's quite sad via comcast in PDX as well... frown.gif

On a related note to the "controversial" calls in the US/Canadian women's soccer match yesterday; there was another incident only ten minutes into the second half that went undetected, which had it been seen by the referees quite likely would have resulted in a red card ejection and a giant advantage to the US with most of the second half to play. Things tend to even out in the long run I guess...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/soccer/highlight-melissa-tancredi-stomps-carli-lloyds-face.html

ron
post #473 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

And again, I absolutely do not turn my nose up at Phelps' accomplishments or his abilities. But frankly, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in Olympic sport if not all sport was Keri Strug. Her heart went way beyond talent. Phelps was involved in some great Olympic drama but he did not sacrifice his career for his team or his country to win gold. Granted, the opportunity didn't present itself and frankly, I personally think if it did he would have. But that fate wasn't his.

You are often at the judgment of others when it comes to gymnastics, whereas in swimming it’s all on the individual. For Phelps to win 18 gold medals in his Olympic career (the next closest in Olympic history is 9), while competing against the best, is astounding. Whether he is the greatest or not, those are impressive numbers.
post #474 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I mean 1... (damn it new forums won't let me edit)...

If you look at the bottom left of your post, you will see a pencil, an X, and a flag. You edit your post by selecting the pencil.
post #475 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Today's 'Bob Schieffer's Spoiler Alert': "Look away, cover your ears or go let the dog out or something"
post #476 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm getting the same on WNBC, CNBC, MSNBC and NBCSN.
Motion artifacts on any movement of people plus macroblocking on medium to fast camera movement.
post #477 of 799 Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

I'm getting the same on WNBC, CNBC, MSNBC and NBCSN.
Motion artifacts on any movement of people plus macroblocking on medium to fast camera movement.

Watching on Dish here as well, and I get close to the best possible signal, as per my dish installer. I've noticed that quality on all Dish HD channels has gone to dogs in the past year or so, and the fast motion of the Olympics events has just exacerbated the issue. I wonder what DirecTV and Comcast broadcasts are looking like these days.
post #478 of 799 Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

tumblr_m8d36jeueO1qkp54eo1_500.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #479 of 799 Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

The coverage of men's beach volleyball Quarterfinal on NBC is very annoying as they are not showing it start to finish..
They were showing the second set stopped and went to diving, back to beach volley ball, commercials, a non Olympics related filler segment at 9pm ET, more commercials before they go back to the finish of the second set.
We are in a break before the third set.
For an event like this it's silly to not show the match in full when all the coverage is taped.
You can't watch the quarter final matches replay on NBC Olympics Extra because they are holding the matches for NBC.

Someone at NBC was reading your post apparently.. they did air the whole Women's match last night.. (or perhaps they didn't have anything else to fill up the time)...

post #480 of 799 Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

You are often at the judgment of others when it comes to gymnastics, whereas in swimming it’s all on the individual. For Phelps to win 18 gold medals in his Olympic career (the next closest in Olympic history is 9), while competing against the best, is astounding. Whether he is the greatest or not, those are impressive numbers.

Agreed.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page