2012 Summer Olympics - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Davidt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would love to see the UFC and Ninja Warrior as Olympic events.
Davidt1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
American propaganda tonight .... . NBC promised the USA-Brazil Women's Volleyball Final in prime-time tonight -- on tape of course.

Fact: The match was played earlier -- the USA won the first set, but Brazil stormed back to win the next three sets, and therefore the Gold Medal.

NBC knew this, and they know many people already found out during the afternoon. So they've chosen to shuffle their evening line up to hide this disappointment (apparently people love to see their athletes win, but not when they're losing) .So NBC show all the exciting track and field races in the stadium (even the one race that the Jamaicans won -- spending 15 minutes on it alone) , and all six rounds of the Platform diving (won by an American -- 30 minutes of coverage). The volleyball game, which was lost, was buried to 11:26 pm to 11:50 pm, just 24 minutes of airtime (including commercials).

And it is interesting what they have chosen to show to their audience: They showed the second half of the first set (won by the Americans). Then they took a commercial break, then cue David Gregory to talk briefly about tomorrow's "Meet The Press". Then back to the volleyball ... they've fast forwarded past the next two sets won by the Brazilians (didn't explain why such a turnaround), and right to the final 6 minutes of the fourth set -- by that time the game was out of reach by the Americans. Why? Nobody explained.

Such disrespect for the Champions !!! When the team shook hands, the commentators said the Brazilians were underdogs, and repeated as two-time Olympic Champions. Again, no explanation. Then seemingly to pour cold water over the Brazilians, they showed two minutes of highlights of their Soccer defeat at the hands of the Mexicans. Then back to show their American Diver receiving the Gold Medal (but not the silver and bronze winners beside him!) , and the broadcast ended with "Stars Spangled Banner", Such a strange and unbalanced presentation.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The worst disrespect for the winners I've seen from them was the men's 4x400 - if you weren't paying attention you might have thought South Africa won. I was disgusted at the lack of respect for the Bahamas (the winners.)

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
fjames is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia Vicinity
Posts: 4,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Commercials? What are they? wink.gif

They are that thing that must occupy your air for two or three minutes, up to ten times per hour, that would make even the most adept live BBC producer quail in fear when trying to jump around between live events in real time.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

 

rdclark is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Jamaicans sprinters were the stars of Track and Field, especially Usain Bolt. It would be hard for any broadcaster to ignore his accomplishments -- and NBC didn't. At least they have given any airtime to all those claims by 1984 and 1988 gold medalist Carl Lewis.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 39,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). smile.gif

TV Sports
NBC Will Live-Stream Olympics Closing Ceremony: Report
By The Deadline.com Team - Aug. 10, 2012

NBC said today it will stream Sunday’s Olympic closing ceremony live online after all, the AP reported. In changing its position, NBC acknowledged that it has taken plenty of heat over its decision to broadcast tape-delayed coverage of the Summer Games in London including the Opening Ceremony on July 27.

But NBC has found that live streaming of Olympic sports events hasn’t cut into its primetime viewership, which for the most part has surpassed the 2008 Games in Beijing as well as other previous Games. Sunday’s stream will be available to cable and satellite customers who go to the NBCOlympics.com website. NBC described Sunday’s stream as an experiment and emphasized that it doesn’t necessarily mean the network would apply the same approach to the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. The stream is supposed to be available to cable and satellite customers who go to the NBCOlympics.com website. Ceremony begins at 9 p.m. London time and 1 p.m. Pacific.

During Sunday’s proceedings flagbearers from participating nations will enter the stadium followed by all the competing athletes together instead of by nationality. The ceremony will include a handover from London to Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Summer Games, followed by the extinguishing of the Olympics flame, signaling the official end of the current Games.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/nbc-will-live-stream-olympics-closing-ceremony-report/
dad1153 is online now  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
GqMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
nbcs coverage of the track sprints and relays showing it after 11pm is an example of why they are losers in their other programming, IMO

Way to much swimming and diving, those aren't the marquee events night one to night 14 as they would want us to believe.

nbc is full of crap
GqMagic is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

They are that thing that must occupy your air for two or three minutes, up to ten times per hour, that would make even the most adept live BBC producer quail in fear when trying to jump around between live events in real time.

That's odd - I thought they were the nice pauses in your output that let you re-group, talk to talent, re-position cameras etc. without having to worry about staying on-air wink.gif

BTW since the BBC moved their sport department from London to Salford (and less than 50% of their staff went with them) quite a lot of BBC Sport producers have moved to/from Sky Sports and ITV Sport - they seem to be able to cope with commercial breaks without quailing in-fear... However we have more restrictions on our ad breaks than in the US.

(And if you work in BBC News there are times when you have to produce a continuous stream for UK viewers, but enable commercial breaks to happen for international viewers with invisible junctions... That's fun...)
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you in the US who wish to watch the closing ceremony the 'traditional" way..... I noticed that the IPG on my cable provider has updated the NBC sked for Sunday night. It now shows the following:

7:00-8:30 London Gold - a countdown to the closing ceremonies
8:30-10:35 Closing Ceremonies
10:35-11:00 Animal Practice Preview
11:00-11:30 Local News
11:30-12:35 London Encore
12:35-3:00 Replaying the Best of today's coverage

Looks very very fishy. Only 125 minutes (including commercials) for the closing ceremony? Looks like they're chopping it up or breaking it up into two parts like they did in Vancouver.
Those of you living near the Canadian border....... watch CTV at 4:00pm instead !!
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BBC One Schedule as follows (All times BST = GMT/UTC + 1 hour)

7:30pm
Olympic Ceremonies - London 2012 : Closing Ceremony Countdown
Eddie Butler looks back at some of the great moments of the 2012 Olympic Games.

9:00pm
Olympic Ceremonies - London 2012 : Closing Ceremony
The curtain formally comes down on the 30th Olympiad with a celebration of British music.

11:30pm
BBC Weekend News :
Latest national and international news, with reports from BBC correspondents worldwide.

This suggests the live coverage of the Opening Ceremony is expected to last 2.5 hours - and due to start at 2100 BST / 2000 GMT/UTC
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happening now..... CTV carrying live an expectedly competitive Men's Volleyball Final between Russia and Brazil. Brazil led 2-0 but Russia has tied it up 2-2, going into the fifth set. CTV has a decision to make, stay with the game or switch to the Gold Medal Basketball Game? (Their two other channels are tied up with Handball and Cycling Finals)
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CTV acknowledges the start of the Bball game, but stays with the Volleyball Game. Good call!
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love live TV. Game point: Russia thought it had won, CTV immediately switched to Bball via a split screen technique. But wait, Brazil files a protest on game point .... CTV switches back to Vball. Russia won the next point, CTV switches to Bball.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

7:30pm
Olympic Ceremonies - London 2012 : Closing Ceremony Countdown
Eddie Butler looks back at some of the great moments of the 2012 Olympic Games.
9:00pm
Olympic Ceremonies - London 2012 : Closing Ceremony
The curtain formally comes down on the 30th Olympiad with a celebration of British music.

I'm hoping these show up like the Opening Ceremony stuff did. biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I'm hoping these show up like the Opening Ceremony stuff did. biggrin.gif

These ceremonies always run long.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CTV and NBC both showing bball. CTV is using NBC's feed, and is a full 5 seconds ahead. Even when NBC says it is live, it is not really live. :-)

I'm getting NBC faster via CTV than from NBC !!! Funny.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

CTV and NBC both showing bball. CTV is using NBC's feed, and is a full 5 seconds ahead. Even when NBC says it is live, it is not really live. :-)
I'm getting NBC faster via CTV than from NBC !!! Funny.

That's because NBC has a 5 second delay so they can squelch an F word that might creep into mic range.... wink.gif

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Also - beware of comparing relative timings between feeds you receive at home. These days digital compression, particularly if there is more than one stage of it, and differing satellite distribution routes can cause massive differences in delays, even ignoring intentional 'profanity delays'.

5" is nothing in distribution/uplink/coding/decoding delays these days. I've seen stuff differ by 20" in some situations - all with no intentional delaying. Very different to the days of analogue.
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is exciting, at one point four finals going on simultaneously. Basketball, Volleyball, Handball, and Water Polo. I could set up a quad screen for this. :-)
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

This is exciting, at one point four finals going on simultaneously. Basketball, Volleyball, Handball, and Water Polo. I could set up a quad screen for this. :-)

Don't forget Modern Pentathlon - I love this mad sport. (Showjumping on a randomly selected horse you only get 20 minutes to get to know!)

Quad split quite easy to do on a PC with the BBC streams.
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

American propaganda tonight .... . NBC promised the USA-Brazil Women's Volleyball Final in prime-time tonight -- on tape of course.
Fact: The match was played earlier -- the USA won the first set, but Brazil stormed back to win the next three sets, and therefore the Gold Medal.
NBC knew this, and they know many people already found out during the afternoon. So they've chosen to shuffle their evening line up to hide this disappointment (apparently people love to see their athletes win, but not when they're losing) .So NBC show all the exciting track and field races in the stadium (even the one race that the Jamaicans won -- spending 15 minutes on it alone) , and all six rounds of the Platform diving (won by an American -- 30 minutes of coverage). The volleyball game, which was lost, was buried to 11:26 pm to 11:50 pm, just 24 minutes of airtime (including commercials).
And it is interesting what they have chosen to show to their audience: They showed the second half of the first set (won by the Americans). Then they took a commercial break, then cue David Gregory to talk briefly about tomorrow's "Meet The Press". Then back to the volleyball ... they've fast forwarded past the next two sets won by the Brazilians (didn't explain why such a turnaround), and right to the final 6 minutes of the fourth set -- by that time the game was out of reach by the Americans. Why? Nobody explained.
Such disrespect for the Champions !!! When the team shook hands, the commentators said the Brazilians were underdogs, and repeated as two-time Olympic Champions. Again, no explanation. Then seemingly to pour cold water over the Brazilians, they showed two minutes of highlights of their Soccer defeat at the hands of the Mexicans. Then back to show their American Diver receiving the Gold Medal (but not the silver and bronze winners beside him!) , and the broadcast ended with "Stars Spangled Banner", Such a strange and unbalanced presentation.

Thanks for typing all that so I don't have to. I was so ticked off. I insulated myself from results so I could watch the Women's Volleyball final and that is what we got. We see the US win Set 1, then we come back from commercial and all of a sudden, we're down 2-1 and behind in the 4th set. Then of course, you realize immediately that we've lost.

The Decathlon coverage was just as abysmal. About a minute of coverage of most of the events - just enough time to see the two key American performances.

I like watching Americans do well as much as the next guy, but when that's all you see, it becomes pretty meaningless. You never experience "the agony of defeat" that makes winning so sweet when it happens.
CPanther95 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Bring on Rio where it's only a 1-4 hour difference based on what part of the U.S. you are in.
Tom Imp is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Bring on Rio where it's only a 1-4 hour difference based on what part of the U.S. you are in.

Of course they CAN do Rio live, but I'm sure they'll throw in some delays in case they need to hide American disappointments like last night.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The arena plays the anti war song "Born in the USA" after Men's Gold Medal Game.
Seemed like a bad song choice.

NBC is not showing the full medal ceremony live.
They came back for the silver and gold presentations.
icemannyr is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Thanks for typing all that so I don't have to. I was so ticked off. I insulated myself from results so I could watch the Women's Volleyball final and that is what we got. We see the US win Set 1, then we come back from commercial and all of a sudden, we're down 2-1 and behind in the 4th set. Then of course, you realize immediately that we've lost.

These editors just didn't know how to do it right. They could have thrown out the tape for the first 2 sets, then set up the crucial 3rd set for the audience when's it's tied a set apiece -- wouldn't this be somewhat better? I suppose they didn't care anymore.
JCL is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

These ceremonies always run long.

And your point being? One posting was 6 hours long, which contained the 2 hr BBC preshow and then the 4 hr opening ceremony.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

These editors just didn't know how to do it right. They could have thrown out the tape for the first 2 sets, then set up the crucial 3rd set for the audience when's it's tied a set apiece -- wouldn't this be somewhat better? I suppose they didn't care anymore.

Tape, what tape? Everything is on servers, hard drive servers.

That said, I seriously doubt that the editors had anything to do with what was shown. The producers are the ones that call the shots.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Tape, what tape? Everything is on servers, hard drive servers.
That said, I seriously doubt that the editors had anything to do with what was shown. The producers are the ones that call the shots.

And in some countries the producers' bosses are also called 'Editors' as well.

Here in the UK you have "Picture Editors / Offline Editors / Online Editors" (and in the days of tape - VT Editors) who sit and drive EVSs, FCPs and Avids. Then you also have "Editors" who are the big bosses - like Newspaper Editors - and have their names at the end of the credits. They're often also Executive Producers - though not always.
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The NBC live events today were the Men's Marathon and Gold Medal Basketball Game. Events that were going on at the same time as those events are being shown 12:30pm-6pm ET.
What did CTV do today?
icemannyr is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member
 
JCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CTV had the Marathon, Men's Volleyball final, and Men's Basketball final. All LIVE ! The Water Polo final was delegated to Sportsnet, The Handball final was shown on TSN. Boxing Finals and Rythmic Gymnastics Finals are going on now -- they have 3 channels to spread these out all afternoon until the Closing Ceremony starts live at 4:00 pm. CTV will be quickly turnaround the closing ceremony so it is repeated at 7:30 in prime-time.
JCL is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off