post #721 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

Is the 3D broadcast likely to be complete? Did the 3D opening ceremony include the 7/7 tribute?

Don't know how the World Feed Live broadcast in 3D wouldn't be complete. For anything to be missing would mean that the screen would go black for that period of time.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 169
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). cool.gif

Critic's Notes
London Games leave lessons for Rio
By Robert Bianco, USA Todau - Aug. 13, 2012

As any Olympian knows, there's always another medal to be won.

Record ratings and an unexpected profit have given NBC every reason to celebrate the London Summer Games as an Olympic victory. Yet the network's coverage also has inspired a barrage of criticism — and you can bet the critics are already in training for Rio.

Some, though not all, of the live-vs-tape complaints will be mitigated by Rio's more prime-time friendly time zone. And thanks to the vagaries of social media, it's not completely clear whether more people were complaining or if the same people now just have more ways to complain. Even so, there's clearly room for improvement

So with Rio on the way, here are some tips to make 2016 a happier experience all around:

•Halve the hyperbole. Understatement has never been an Olympian trait, but it still wouldn't hurt sportscasters to remember that every defeat is not tragic, every victory is not historic, and every athlete is not heroic. Which means avoiding the worshiping tone that makes it sound like training for the balance beam is akin to volunteering at a leper colony.

•Leave Ryan home. The problem isn't just that Ryan Seacrest treats athletes like celebrities; it's that celebrity, his and theirs, seems to be the only thing that interests him. He seems happy merely to be on camera next to famous people — but once there, nothing pierces that aura of vague, dull, disconnected affability.

•Get a local for local color. NBC does have Mary Carillo, who once again did a fine job of ferreting out entertaining stories, from British peerage to Shakespeare's continued appeal. But beyond her, the risk is that NBC will fall back on its old stranger-in-a-strange-land Today show approach, dressing the cast up like Carmen Miranda and teaching them to samba. Hire an actual Brazilian instead, an expert to introduce us to our largest and most populous southern neighbor.

•Keep up the good work. That's not sarcasm. We can take for granted how many difficult things NBC does well: the graphics, the special shots, the "splashometer," the unruffled Bob Costas, the improved packages and the willingness to experiment, including Sunday's decision to live-stream the closing ceremonies. Amid the complaints, it doesn't hurt to remember how enjoyable much of the coverage has been.

•And to those planning Rio's opening ceremony: Please, no history lessons, no allegories, and no attempts to right some wrong from the past. This is not the place, time or format. Just introduce us to the glories of your culture and people and throw a party — as London did Sunday with its more joyous closing ceremony. We hear you pull off an impressive blowout every year around Mardi Gras. Like that would be nice.\

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/reviews/story/2012-08-12/NBC-olympics-London-summer-games-rio/57018282/1
post #723 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finally, Olympic Games was over. The end show is great!
post #724 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Anyone else have no idea who Take That is?

Yes - they're one of the biggest UK bands of the last 20 years. (11 Number One singles, 7 Number One Albums in the UK chart)

The original UK 'boy band' - though now a 'man band'. Gary Barlow, one of the members, is a talented songwriter. Their tours are very popular (totally sold out) - and they're quite big in the rest of Europe as well. Like a lot of British pop bands (One Direction a noticable exception) they've never really crossed over to the US.

Their tours are normally creatively directed by Kim Gavin, who had creative director responsibilities for the closing ceremony, so it was a good fit.

The performance was very poignant for a UK audience, as Gary Barlow and his wife were expecting a baby, but they lost it a week or so ago.

(From Wikipedia : In total, the group have had 27 top 40 singles and 16 top 5 singles in the United Kingdom alone,11 of which have reached number 1, as well as having seven number 1 albums. Internationally the band have had 54 number one hits and 35 number 1 albums.)
post #725 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 AM

Liked: 10
NBCs video looked great, but just as in the opening ceremony the closing ceremony audio was indistinguishable. Sounded as if someone recorded it with a cellphone. All I heard were low volume echos in my back channel speakers.

All in all it was a great Olympics but after a week or so I was tired of it all.
post #726 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Is the 3D broadcast likely to be complete? Did the 3D opening ceremony include the 7/7 tribute?
yes it did.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #727 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabin View Post

NBCs video looked great, but just as in the opening ceremony the closing ceremony audio was indistinguishable. Sounded as if someone recorded it with a cellphone. All I heard were low volume echos in my back channel speakers.

The live event must have been spectacular to attend. The producers did a great job (even if some of the performers were not that well known to international audiences). And the TV visual coverage was pretty good, capturing at lest a part of what must have been experienced by those lucky enough to be there.
But the TV audio was a very big disappointment. For a closing ceremony that was billed as a tribute to British music, why was the mix so bad? Too much seemed to be the 'distant' sound of the arena, with comparatively little direct mic audio. And why are the announcers always louder than the music?
There seemed to be an overall fear of music levels in all the Olympics coverage from NBC. Every evening's opening, with the John Williams Olympics music, ended with the music pulled back when it was supposed to be its most glorious. Who makes those decisions? I have to believe that the audio guys were instructed to keep the music low by someone on high.

Edit:
I'm realizing that NBC might have had no control over the closing event audio, that it could have been provided to them by another production entity (Sneals will surely know the answer to this), in which case my criticism about the TV mix of the closing ceremony should be aimed elsewhere.
post #728 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Due to the 24 hour broadcast delay the Olympics 3D channel is still on and currently broadcasting the gold medal men's basketball game.
post #729 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 188
"And when the Prime Minister asks for silence, he gets silence."

--Bob Costas (spoken during the dramatic hush that fell over the venue when the "Prime Minister" character commanded "SILENCE!!" during the closing ceremony pageant)

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #730 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Don't know how the World Feed Live broadcast in 3D wouldn't be complete. For anything to be missing would mean that the screen would go black for that period of time.

it will be on later this morning (west coast); currently we're watching the 3d replay of men's basketball gold medal game. They do have a commercial break every so often (once per quarter so far) but its interesting to view in 3d - also a different commentary team, less knowledgeable than the NBC team but adequate.
post #731 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I hated the audio and why they didn't have a direct feed to the networks instead of using external microphones to pick up whatever could be heard... that was horrible in that regard..

Have they forgotten how to direct feed audio or was it technically impossible? (being 2012 I hardly doubt that, maybe 1980)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #732 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That was a REALLY awful British Music Hall of Fame (and Shame) show last night.
post #733 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I hated the audio and why they didn't have a direct feed to the networks instead of using external microphones to pick up whatever could be heard... that was horrible in that regard..
Have they forgotten how to direct feed audio or was it technically impossible? (being 2012 I hardly doubt that, maybe 1980)

It was the same in Beijing 4 years ago, at the moment, I don't recall if it was any better in Vancouver ...

Where's SNFMixer when you need him?
post #734 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just got back from work and recorded from 2am to 8am. They switched channels on me again but after the US won they went straight to US and the France game. Did anybody see the closing in 3D today?
post #735 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I just got back from work and recorded from 2am to 8am. They switched channels on me again but after the US won they went straight to US and the France game. Did anybody see the closing in 3D today?

they are currently showing women's basketball final (started around 11am west coast time), so closing ceremony should start around 1pm. I am going to record it - I did the opening ceremony also (not all of the athlete parade though); the playback was so-so (recorder does some compression and remaps to letterbox mode) but the 3d effect remained. It would be nice if BBC releases 3d version including opening and closing plus some events.
post #736 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

they are currently showing women's basketball final (started around 11am west coast time), so closing ceremony should start around 1pm. I am going to record it - I did the opening ceremony also (not all of the athlete parade though); the playback was so-so (recorder does some compression and remaps to letterbox mode) but the 3d effect remained. It would be nice if BBC releases 3d version including opening and closing plus some events.

Thanks for the info and time line. I've been using either VLC or CapDVHS to get 1:1 .ts caps. They keep switching channels on me when trying to record via firewire. But on Sat it didn't switch over strange. Today I'll sit and watch the closing while monitoring the capture. If it does switch over I'll be ready with my finger on the remote.biggrin.gif
post #737 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Thanks for the info and time line. I've been using either VLC or CapDVHS to get 1:1 .ts caps. They keep switching channels on me when trying to record via firewire. But on Sat it didn't switch over strange. Today I'll sit and watch the closing while monitoring the capture. If it does switch over I'll be ready with my finger on the remote.biggrin.gif

Women's basketball victory ceremony just ending, so closing ceremony starting time probably closer to 1:15pm.
post #738 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup set the sw for 10 past glad they are using BBC guys.smile.gif
post #739 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

it's on!

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #740 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Getting really good 5.1 audio clean so far..
post #741 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I definitely wanted to watch the closing ceremonies. I definitely DVR'ed it. I definitely tried to watch it. I definitely didn't see a giant chunk of it. Thanks DirecTV for going dark in LA. Although it wasn't 30 minutes if you were watching it in HD. It was much longer.

But judging from the reactions here, it sounds like I'm better off finding it elsewhere anyway. NBC didn't show Muse's performance? Seriously? Wow...
post #742 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ray Davies made the 3D broadcast at least.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #743 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The Lorax snipe is really testing me not to go into the woods and chainsaw every friggin tree! I'll post some screen caps of the little mishaps.biggrin.gif
post #744 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

What bugs me most about the Lorax snipe is the sound!!!! I could almost live with the visual intrusion, but the sound just destroys.

frown.gif

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #745 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

What bugs me most about the Lorax snipe is the sound!!!! I could almost live with the visual intrusion, but the sound just destroys.
frown.gif

agree! also, we've had 2 commercial breaks so far (2-3 minutes each) - can't tell if it overlapped coverage and was interspersed
post #746 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

As expected, NBC’s late night rebroadcast joined the prime time coverage at about 8:01:45, such that the network portion of the commercial break at the end of prime time will end at 3:29, precisely on schedule.
So nothing more to see… the rebroadcast should be identical to prime time, right down to the network commercials.
It was a rhetorical question. I watched the BBC’s unedited coverage this afternoon. But I couldn’t record that, so I was hoping for a decent prime time broadcast from NBC.
I haven’t looked at the 3D coverage because I don’t have a 3D set, but it would be nice to get a recording of the music.
I checked my copy in the morning and saw the disappointing results. I believe that some (if not all) of the music is available already on iTunes.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/symphony-british-music-music/id552627020

Neil
post #747 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

It was the same in Beijing 4 years ago, at the moment, I don't recall if it was any better in Vancouver ...
Where's SNFMixer when you need him?

He's right here, exhausted after an hour of sleep and an 8-hr flight to Newark. And now he's enjoying a four-hour layover before flying to Pittsburgh for NFL.

I haven't watched what aired. I mixed the ceremony. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.
post #748 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

So much for the clean feed getting sound glitching and pixallation.mad.gif Can't watch it this way what a waste!
post #749 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Canned the recording and pulled the plug on this TWC feed here in Los Ageles.

post #750 of 799 Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At the beginning of the George Michael performance you could hear the vocals without the reverb(why couldn't it be that way all the time?).....it's that way again now.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page