2012 Summer Olympics - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tried to watch Lochte vs Phelps in the 400IM. The live streams are terrible. Buffering and choppy when you try to watch in 720p or 1080p. Fios subscriber, so I know it's not my bandwidth that is the issue. #NBCFAIL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

Good points from the last poster.
Here lies the problem. If you are a broadcaster -- as opposed to a narrowcaster(?) or specialty channel programmer, you have to gear your coverage -- including commentary to the widest possible number of people, or the demographic that's right in the middle. The way I watch the Olympics Opening Ceremony might be different from how each of the other members of my family watches it, and how everybody else down the street do. So kudos to the BBC for giving all those audio options to the viewers. I wish CTV or NBC can do that. Maybe this 5.1 thing is a workaround -- perhaps a bit too hard for the average Joe to figure out, though.
Alert: Michael Phelps' medal race #1 in 3 minutes. Live on CTV.

The BBC have been offering alternative commentary (and in some cases visuals - like an F1 car tracker) on sport coverage for over 10 years now - all the major digital platforms support "Press Red" interactive services that allow alternative video and audio streams to be navigated to without appearing to 'change channel' or go into an audio menu on your TV (you just navigate a digital text app coded by the broadcaster)

The BBC got a significant number of complaints about intrusive commentary on the Beijing ceremonies - and now that they have 2 main HD stations (BBC One/BBC One HD and BBC Three/BBC HD) and 24 additional HD streams on satellite/cable (just a single extra full-time SD/HD stream and a part-time SD stream on OTA) they have the capacity to deliver 3D and commentary free versions of some events.

I watched BBC One HD live with commentary, but also PVRed the commentary-free version on BBC Olympics 1 HD. The BBC One HD commentary included the Beijing team who did a much better job. They had a new addition who was less edifying...

Now watching 400m Mens Individual Medley Final. Won't spoil it for you.
post #93 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
the Korean swimmer who was the defending world champ getting DQ'd for a false start looked kinda bogus...even in slow mo it didn't look like he false start'ed...looks like Lochte is going to dominate Phelps based on the preliminary rounds
post #94 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

Was watching a bit of the tennis. Very astounding to see Roger Federer walking around the Wimbledon courts wearing a bright RED shirt and the backwall of Centre Court covered up in purple.

Yep - but at least it was purple (one of the two Wimbledon colours).
post #95 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Opening ceremonies
Wow, tough crowd tongue.gif
First let me say I read the whole of this thread before watching myself this morning on a Tivo HD(with no commercials wink.gif) so I wasn't expecting much....both myself and younger daughter was pleasantly surprised. Was their too much commentary? well maybe but we also liked the explanations of quite a few of the things that we didn't understand(saved a ton of questions like: what does than mean?....why did they do that?....etc. biggrin.gif).

Doesn't excuse the idiotic and offensive commentary, editing out the 7/7 tribute, talking over nearly every one of the music performances or pretending it was actually live and coming back from commercials with a "here's a quick recap of what happened while you were gone."

post #96 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding the 3D coverage which I have just spent the last several hours watching the opening ceremonies trying to figure out (via Comcast):

1) It is great to have what I believe to be the full show. Even to see the bows that took place between each scene gives it a whole different feel to the show. AND THEY INCLUDE THE MEMORIAL PIECE BEFORE THE ATHLETE WALKIN.

2) You can tell the shot selection is limited - as don't get all the closeups, video rolls, etc that the regular NBCHD feed had, but I like the wider shot - like you are there.

3) The "commercial" breaks have no logic. They broke 30 sec before the ending of one scene only to come back. Makes no sense. On another rant, I don't see why they have to insert the same spots at erratic times at all (Paladia and HDNet do the same thing just seemingly to have a break).

4) I agree with a previous poster that the picture doesn't have the HD clarity of the regular NBCHD feed, but I figure you sacrifice this for 3D. Speaking of 3D, the effect is very light but I don't mind it. The audio mix is definitely different but I don't think it looses much.

5) It would be nice if they had a schedule as to when things actually were showing. Anyone?
post #97 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
post #98 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post

4) I agree with a previous poster that the picture doesn't have the HD clarity of the regular NBCHD feed, but I figure you sacrifice this for 3D. Speaking of 3D, the effect is very light but I don't mind it. The audio mix is definitely different but I don't think it looses much.

Assuming it's being broadcast side-by-side 1080i then that's because each eye-feed is 2:1 compressed so runs at 960x1080i for each eye (to squeeze both eye feeds into a 1920x1080i stream)

In the UK it's never described as HD as the 960 sample horizontal resolution is only a bit higher than good quality SD which runs at 720 samples.
post #99 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Opening ceremonies
Wow, tough crowd tongue.gif
First let me say I read the whole of this thread before watching myself this morning on a Tivo HD(with no commercials wink.gif) so I wasn't expecting much....both myself and younger daughter was pleasantly surprised. Was their too much commentary? well maybe but we also liked the explanations of quite a few of the things that we didn't understand(saved a ton of questions like: what does than mean?....why did they do that?....etc. biggrin.gif).

Over here we think the ceremony was pretty amazing - but then it was designed as much for us as the rest of the world - and we'll probably have got a lot more of the cultural references! (The Archers theme tune, the Tardis sound effect, the BBC Weather forecast denying there was a hurricane coming in 1987, the Eastenders theme music etc. etc.)

However the editing out of the in memoriam tribute, which the BBC handled very respectfully, and which tied into the 7/7 bombings (which took place the day after London was awarded the Olympics - so was particularly poignant to the host city), is pretty unforgivable.

Can you imagine the reaction in the US if an overseas broadcaster had edited out a tribute to 9/11 from a US Olympic Opening Ceremony? Seriously offensive - and not exactly respectful.
post #100 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Over here we think the ceremony was pretty amazing
I don't think anyone is faulting the effort your country put into ceremony, sneals2000. While folks can differ in artistic execution and vision, it was undeniably a spectacular event. Also undeniable was the intrusive, distracting and ham-handed presentation of that event by NBC. As you mentioned, your colleagues at the BBC took note of viewer reaction of the prior Olympic coverage and made concessions and adjustments. NBC has little inclination or interest to do so, it's little more than 5000+ hours of product to sell. If it can be distilled, packaged and made palatable to the commonest of viewer denominator, so much the better.

That's fine. NBC and the BBC have very different revenue models, again, that 's fine, but by God executives of the National Broadcasting Company, don't you dare to presume that your involvement is anything other than a business transaction plain and simple. We would have witnessed the Emeli Sandé performance if it were otherwise.

[BTW - Be sure and give us a report on the Super Hi-Vision screening, OK?]
post #101 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Over here we think the ceremony was pretty amazing - but then it was designed as much for us as the rest of the world - .

My daughter, wife and I thought it was great. My 6 year old really enjoyed the commentary, whereas my wife and I only welcomed it when it explained something we'd never have known about. The show itself was really cool, but the Internet Era stuff just dragged and dragged too long. NBC's cutting of the poignant 7/7 content for a horrendous interview with an obvious disinterested Phelps was a crime. NBC truly deserves its last place standing.
post #102 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

My daughter, wife and I thought it was great. My 6 year old really enjoyed the commentary, whereas my wife and I only welcomed it when it explained something we'd never have known about. The show itself was really cool, but the Internet Era stuff just dragged and dragged too long. NBC's cutting of the poignant 7/7 content for a horrendous interview with an obvious disinterested Phelps was a crime. NBC truly deserves its last place standing.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Hope thad doesn't suggest that NBC is aiming its commentary at 6 year olds? I though that's what a 6 year old's parents were for rolleyes.gif

Quite amazing that Meredith Vieira proclaimed ignorance as to who Tim Berners-Lee was - as is now being widely reported over here. Had she actually read this? :

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/30/43/40/OPENINGCEREMONYGUIDE_English.pdf

If she hadn't then I'm stunned (and to be honest I'd expect her to have a briefing pack an inch thick that she'd have read)... Didn't she used to present Today? Aren't they journalists on that show?
post #103 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:

Quote:

Glad you enjoyed it!

Hope thad doesn't suggest that NBC is aiming its commentary at 6 year olds? I though that's what a 6 year old's parents were for rolleyes.gif

Quite amazing that Meredith Vieira proclaimed ignorance as to who Tim Berners-Lee was - as is now being widely reported over here. Had she actually read this? :

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/30/43/40/OPENINGCEREMONYGUIDE_English.pdf

If she hadn't then I'm stunned (and to be honest I'd expect her to have a briefing pack an inch thick that she'd have read)... Didn't she used to present Today? Aren't they journalists on that show?
TV over here has very little in the way of real journalists, we have loads of pretty faces and loudmouths, but next to nothing as far as a true journalist. News here has morphed into entertainment, to get real news you need to look someplace other than TV.
post #104 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Does that woman ever act happy at anything... no clapping, no nodding in appreciation, no smiling, absolutely no emotion. I think her image was projected onto the screen and she was back at the palace having tea & crumpets. I realize she's the queen, but other monarchs were displaying emotion as were the other members of the British royal family, including Camilla. confused.gif
Maybe she thought the whole thing was incredibly bad as I did.
post #105 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This woman is a happy worker:
post #106 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23NBCfail

Once again NBC demonstrates that they don't give a crap about their viewers, or their advertisers. I just hope I live long enough to see another network get a chance at broadcasting these games, or, I can continue to do what I've done for the last 3 Games, find a source from outside of the US to view them.

From USA Today...
Quote:
#NBCfail: Olympics lead-in spills results ahead of broadcast

Some choice tweets on #SpoilerGate:

Reuters' Anthony De Rosa: "NBC will air Phelps v Lochte as soon as they find their Netzero dial up password #OLDmedia"

"Modern Family" writer/executive producer Danny Zuker: "'Tape delay events rest of the world watches live? Check! Website info? Limited! Hire Seacrest. Done! It's show time, boys!' - NBC"

Former NBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell: "Context: NBC's ideal viewer is someone who doesn't get sports text alerts, doesn't appointment stream or get on Twitter."

Sports Illustrated's Zach Lowe: "NBC's Olympics coverage is underway again! Really, really nervous for Michael Phelps! #tweetsfromthestoneage"

*Palm to face*

Link to full article
post #107 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is anything on NBC live for the west coast?
post #108 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 106

Thanks for the link to the guide.

Now, I'm off to watch the opening ceremony.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #109 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Once again NBC demonstrates that they don't give a crap about their viewers, or their advertisers. I just hope I live long enough to see another network get a chance at broadcasting these games, or, I can continue to do what I've done for the last 3 Games, find a source from outside of the US to view them.
From USA Today...

I continuously lament the day that ABC lost the Olympics. That network has always known how to do sports. But then again, Disney now owns it....... Sigh!!!

Bobby 

post #110 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Thanks for the link to the guide.
Now, I'm off to watch the opening ceremony.
Just in case it's of interest to anyone, I've created my own "bookmarks folder" of URL's for the NBCOlympics web site. There probably are a few sports missing that I'm not interested in enough to ever want to watch something, but almost everything is there.

Just "import from HTML" while in Show All Bookmarks (in Firefox), to add this folder to your BookMarks Toolbar or wherever you care to place it.

Olympics_folder.zip 3k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Olympics_folder.zip (2.7 KB, 5 views)
post #111 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

I downloaded the official schedule, with prices.

I knew the Olympics were expensive, but 2,012 pounds (interesting value biggrin.gif ) for the best seats for the opening ceremony. Cheapest price is 20.12 pounds, but I suspect those are in the nose bleed's nose bleed section. Before that it was 150 pounds.

Ouch.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #112 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Might be slightly off topic, but on NBCOlympics.com, the description for Australia reads: "Located in central Europe, bordered to the north by Germany..."

http://www.nbcolympics.com/nations/nation=australia/
post #113 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Quote:

Over here we think the ceremony was pretty amazing - but then it was designed as much for us as the rest of the world - .

Unfortunately, they got super ratings:

40.7 million viewers, which is 6 million more than Beijing, and 15 million more than Athens.
21.0/37 rating. That's 12% higher than Beijing and 44% higher than Athens.

Sigh...
post #114 of 799 Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'm done, the running commentary is so annoying it has ruin my enjoyment of the show. Guess NBC thinks we are all stupid and need Matt to hold, our hands through the whole thing.
Quote:

NBC is terrible. I wish a real network got the Olympics. Skipping England's tribute to the 7/7 bombings to show a frickin' interview of Phelps by Ryan Seacrest? Get out, NBC. Just go. What an awful network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

Wow... reception on NBC's telecast is just awful. Meredith and Matt need to shut up, the commercials are just ridiculous...
https://www.facebook.com/nbcolympics/posts/209924642470736
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Did Costas and Lauer talk over every musical performance? The cover of "Come Together" is being talked over most of the performance.
I just don't get Mr. Ross here....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The 3D broadcast is pitiful. My wife and I were watching it and it's a joke. Lower resolution, no pop, muted colors and a 3D effect that's almost non-existent aside from the NBC logo that floats into the room. What a waste of bandwidth.
....who must have some technical issues with his 3-D rig, since all of these complaints disappear if you watched DirecTV's n3D broadcast:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

3D coverage is awesome no commentary's and very few commercial breaks except for the snipes. Way better than last night's coverage with better camera angles. Thank goodness for no Matt commentary's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

I had major goosebumps when the athletes walked in. It was so nice not to have anybody interrupt this magical moment that many have dreamed of.
Man...Goosebump City with that 3-D camera right IN THERE with the parading athletes!!! I felt like I was the one dancing around the track with them!!!!

Just a great production on the DirecTV n3D 103 channel -- camera angles, audio, editing, all superb. Bravo, Panasonic.

Sorry you missed it if you didn't have a 3-D rig. Then again, we won't see a virgin 3-D production like that if NBC ever cares enough to throw its leaden weight over it like it did the regular HD broadcast.
post #115 of 799 Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The most noticeable 3D effects in the opening ceremony broadcast I saw was when Great Britain's athletes were shown with white confetti or something like it flying all around.
post #116 of 799 Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

What was really great was watching the nearly 4 hours commercial free and with sparse commentary.

It was even noted in the version that I watched that it was requested that broadcasters keep the commentary to a minimum. Of course, once the athletes started entering the stadium, commentary was a must by only providing the country name, flag carrier and some other useful info.

It is too bad that what I watched is not what most of the U.S. viewers had to watch.

What is interesting is that what I found out there was only available from CTV and Euro sources. No one put up material from NBC. I wonder why biggrin.gif

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #117 of 799 Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Is anything on NBC live for the west coast?

i happened to tune in early sat morning for LIVE women's 10 meter air rifle...

i know... i know... for a former air rifler myself, i thought it was cool.

this was on the west coast, main nbc channel. not their nbc sports channel.

leo d.
post #118 of 799 Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

dream idea:

best use of a sub channel?

no talking bobble heads. just video and audio from the stadium.

was it cbs from late 80s when they broadcasted an oakland raider football game with no commentators? just placed a bunch of mics all over the stadium and used the PA audio...

leo d.
post #119 of 799 Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

best use of a sub channel?
no talking bobble heads. just video and audio from the stadium.

The current NBC audio distribution to affiliates is not capable of doing a stereo mix-minus. At most they could do a mono feed on the other ATSC audio stream.

Oh wait, you meant a whole separate video/audio ATSC sub-channel, instead of a station's weather, or some other sub-channel.

Problems with that are: 1) NBC doesn't have the infrastructure to send out four separate timezone feeds; 2) the video would be, at most, anamorphic widescreen SD.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #120 of 799 Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post

That was my point, but I guess we see it differently. With poor resolution that doesn't qualify as "HD" (in response to a previous poster, it is side by side and thus 1/2 the HD resolution), a questionable audio mix, muted colors together with the need to wear glasses while watching, is that really worth it for a very subtle 3D effect (aside from the NBC logo whose 3D effect is 100X better than the broadcast itself)? After about 5 minutes of that, my wife and I removed the glasses and went to the regular NBC channels. The clarity and pop relative to the 3D was like day & night.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page