2012 Summer Olympics - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's so annoying that you can't even look at an internet news site during the Olympics without seeing spoilers. They should at least hide them somehow.
Very annoyed that the weekend TV coverage is all tape delayed. Many people watch sporting events during the day on the weekend, it was so boring watching 4 hour road races.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

There are several channels on my TWC cable system showing Olympic events including Bravo, MSNBC, and a couple of "special events" channels. But what I really wish I had was a master schedule where I could find out when and where events I'm interested in will be broadcast. That would be monumentally useful.
As it is, I'm a rabid table tennis player and fan and would love to know when and on which channel I could see that particular sport. If it's in the middle of the night, no problemo, I can set the DVR to record it. But it seems to be a crapshoot. You just have to hope you get lucky and stumble on something you want to see while you're flipping through the channels. It's horribly inefficient.
The day-by-day, minute-by-minute schedule of what event is occurring, is easily accessed. For example, if you go to this post (in this thread) I have attached a "folder of URL's" which is for easy access to the NBCOlympics web site. You just add that folder say to your Bookmarks Toolbar (in Firefox, it's simply Bookmarks -> Show all bookmarks, then select your Bookmarks Toolbar and "import from HTML" from my provided folder of bookmarks in that attachment). Now you'll be able to look at ANY SPORT, and any day, and see exactly what's happening LIVE at every minute.

Now, the problem is that NBC is broadcasting almost nothing LIVE. Everything of importance is tape-delayed, with few exceptions. So the only way the event schedule is of any use is if you watch the "live stream" on the NBCOlympics web site. It is here and here only that you can truly watch 100% of every event LIVE, as it is occurring... assuming you don't mind watching in a small window on your computer screen, and dealing with a bit of a sluggish user interface if you decide to "change tables at the Table Tennis venue", etc..

So even though you could also find the "schedule by TV channel" in my folder of bookmarks/URLs, pretty much you will have zero confidence that you would ever actually see what they say they'll broadcast... except if you watch for 6 hours in which case eventually you might see the US athlete or team, or maybe 1-3 heats. But definitely not the entire event, all tables and courts. That is only going to be through the live stream on your computer.
post #183 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Also, I couldn't believe the selective coverage of the 400IM swimming event only showed heats 4 and 5 in the preliminaries earlier in the day (with Phelps and Lochte), instead of covering the whole session. And I think I've seen those two heats now on three different channels, so that by the time I saw it Saturday morning on NBC network I'd already seen it multiple times.

They showed all 5 of the 400IM heats on the 3D feed, men's and women's. It was definitely interesting to watch. They practically start the next heat before the last heat is out of the pool. Also, there is no commentary which makes watching it kind of awkward. Sorf of like watching a movie without music. The PQ isn't as good as the 2D feed and is also more raw (not produced), but it fun to see it from a different perspective (no pun intended). I will be checking out more of the 3D just for that reason.
post #184 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I just saw most of the Swimming finals and semifinals....

I won't spoil you but they were nice..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #185 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

It's so annoying that you can't even look at an internet news site during the Olympics without seeing spoilers. They should at least hide them somehow.

You're kidding right? Every site outside of NBC should put the medal news in spoilers because one network in the USA won't show an event live on television even though almost the entire Earth is doing that?

post #186 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
yeah i get your point, but it is still very annoying.

i already know all the results for tonights broadcast and i have been trying to avoid learning them.

all the networks and internet sites spill the beans as headlines. it's unavoidable.

neflixis our nemesis
post #187 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You're kidding right? Every site outside of NBC should put the medal news in spoilers because one network in the USA won't show an event live on television even though almost the entire Earth is doing that?
Well at least those based in the US. There's no secret that NBC is playing everything tape delayed. I would think the majority of us here in the US don't want to know the results until it's been shown.
post #188 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well at least those based in the US. There's no secret that NBC is playing everything tape delayed. I would think the majority of us here in the US don't want to know the results until it's been shown.

No, not even in the US is it feasible. There are hundreds if not thousands of news sites in the US that are visited by readers from all over the world.

Some sites and a lot of readers value delivering news as fast as any other international media source, rather than looking as backwards as NBC does on the world stage.

post #189 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

The 720p/1080i thing is, of course, one of the favorite watering holes at AVS. Don't forget, for a long time the Pioneer 5080 was the darling of the perfectionist set, chosen over 1080i displays.Certainly true. The two Olympic offerings here -- NBCHD versus Panasonic SBS-3D -- are an interesting contrast. They represent two different ways to slice and dice the bandwidth.
I'm of the opinion that, in this case (especially the Opening Ceremonies), the majority would prefer the 3-D rendition. Now, when you consider that the 3-D edition of the OCs didn't use canned segments (Michael Phelps), fewer and shorter commercial breaks, had a clean audio mix for the music, and NO ANNOUNCERS which let the ceremony speak for itself -- well, I know that's not fair, but I think 95% would prefer that particular 3-D broadcast over the conventional network HD edition.

Wow, what's amazing is that there are people who give a crap about 3D at all... If you seriously think the the majority of the viewing audience would prefer to watch in 3D you are clearly a zealot with blinders on. The vast majority of people don't give a rip about 3D.

ron
post #190 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
According to the schedule http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html for NBC 10am-5pm today we have,
Swimming taped
Rowing taped
Canoe/Kayak taped
Women's Volleyball live
Rowing taped
Swimming taped
Women's Water Polo live
Men's Beach Volleyball live

The other problem besides NBC saving events for primetime is the Today Show on 7am-10am which takes away time to show events live.
If the live streaming with YouTube actually worked it would make it much easier.
post #191 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So much for voicing your own opinion regarding NBC's coverage of the Olympics. NBC is now the dictator!

Critic of NBC has Twitter account suspended after network complains

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--critic-of-nbc-has-twitter-account-suspended-after-network-complains.html
post #192 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

No, not even in the US is it feasible. There are hundreds if not thousands of news sites in the US that are visited by readers from all over the world.
Some sites and a lot of readers value delivering news as fast as any other international media source, rather than looking as backwards as NBC does on the world stage.
OK, I get it. I guess I'll change my home site from google news until the olympics are over. At least our morning paper is delivered early enough that there are no spoilers in there. Could be worse, I could live in the eastern time zone where the coverage is on until midnight.
post #193 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post

So much for voicing your own opinion regarding NBC's coverage of the Olympics. NBC is now the dictator!
NBC's (macroblocking-prone) coverage sucks; that's all I've got to say about that...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #194 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Even when the Olympics take place in Brazil in 2016, most things will be tape delayed. That's just how NBC rolls. They've done it this way for 20 years now. (I forgot about Seoul and Los Angeles. So, I don't remember those.) However, Barcelona, Atlanta (Yes, Atlanta!), Sydney and Beijing were all tape delayed.
post #195 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I have been watching all the live events online and have no trouble at all with the video. In fact it's quite clear with no choppiness. I watched the weightlifting live, canoe/kayaking live, gymnastics live and fencing live. I had to get up a little earlier, but I got to see them.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #196 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Pretty much been following what everyone's issues are with regards to the Olympics and the broadcasts. Let me throw mine in just so I can fell better about the world. Saturday morning I woke up and there was 3 hours or so of cycling. Yesterday morning I woke up and there was 3 hours or so of cycling. No cut aways to other events, no updates just hours of cycling. Now.....I'm not in any way shape or form bashing cycling. I'm not even going to make my issue be about how much cycling. What I am going to complain about is how they claimed that baseball and softball weren't getting the television ratings so they dropped the events. Ping pong...excuse me....table tennis, handball (which was called keep-away when I was a kid) and cycling warrant to be called legit televisible events but not baseball and softball? Between this and the gymnastics rule limiting two gymnasts per country...somebody is definitely asleep at the wheel.
post #197 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM

It was the Men's and Women's road race - 250km long, there were other sports on Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, and NBCSPORTS network. Watch online if you want more variety.
post #198 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The cycling coverage deserved to be shown. I can remenber when there was around 10 mins of cycling coverage in the eighties! There are alternate channels as stated above.Once you get out of the United States and visit the world you realize there is an "international crowd" that follows these sports.When I visited England I watched sports I would never see or maybe watch due to exposure of that particular event.There was no choice. If I want to watch something I am going to do the online viewing method.
post #199 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Here's my outrage of the day....

I actually saw the live coverage of the Men's Gymnastics team competition around noon (eastern time). It was live on CTV, it was riveting -- the amazing cliffhanger between Team China and Japan, the surprising upstart Brits, and the unbelievable finish that originally had the auditorium standing and cheering It was amazing !!!

Fast forward to tonight, was trying to catch this event again on NBC -- they didn't start airing it until 10:00 pm. (okay, everybody knew it was tape delay.... but for most people it was their only chance to see it today) AND WHAT DID NBC GAVE IT'S PATIENT AUDIENCE AT THE EARLY GOING? 90% of the coverage was those 6 U.S. Gymnasts struggling in their first couple of rounds, they totally ignored the 4 teams that were ahead of the U.S.A. (okay, there were a couple of token representation of GBR and CHN) It was so devoid of energy that was so much in abundance earlier in the day - live!! What a distorted, unfair and unbalanced coverage of the Gymnastics final !! .... Let see if things improve once team U.S.A. was shown eliminated from medal contention -- which should be very soon.

What are you guys thinking, NBC? I understand the tape delay part, I accept that you are trying to package, massage, enhance ..... your presentation to attract a huge audience. But tonight, this Gymnastics package (so far) -- is a huge dissappointment -- even to the casual viewer!
post #200 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The tape delay doesn't bother me as much as the fact that if they are going to show something tape delayed in primetime, they don't let me watch it on demand on the website. For example, right the men's gymnastics is airing. I'd rather watch the taped raw feed from earlier today, but I can't, since NBC wants to force me to watch the NBC broadcast, and IMHO, the most annoying sports commentating duo ever, Elfie Schlegel and Tim Daggett (Especially Daggett).

So if I was home at 10:30am my time, I could have watch the event live. But when I want to watch it now, online, I can't, because NBC wants me to watch their broadcast for their commercials.
post #201 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Wow, what's amazing is that there are people who give a crap about 3D at all... If you seriously think the the majority of the viewing audience would prefer to watch in 3D you are clearly a zealot with blinders on. The vast majority of people don't give a rip about 3D.
ron

That's my feeling. Most people I speak to don't care about 3D, don't appreciate it and won't spend extra for it when going to the movies. Even on my Sharp Elite, which is generally regarded as one of the best displays for 3D, I just can't get excited about it. Personally I think it's used as an excuse by many movie makers instead of concentrating on good movie-making.
post #202 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

So if I was home at 10:30am my time, I could have watch the event live. But when I want to watch it now, online, I can't, because NBC wants me to watch their broadcast for their commercials.

Yup, I noticed this earlier too. As soon as the live stream is over the replay is locked until after prime time.

It's ridiculous.

post #203 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
For my updated Saga with TWC and not being able to get 3d on channel 484 here in
NYC go to last page/ post 82 and read the chat I had with them today .

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386327/2012-olympics-in-3d-from-nbc-panasonic/60

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #204 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

The original broadcast, particularly the ending, was riveting. Tonight's EDITED broadcast so far was not. Hopefully they'll show you the original ending.
post #205 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

NBC, I caught you.

Ya all can see this, if you have the DVR rewind a bit. ... In the final round of Gymnastics team final. The third Chinese gymnast was getting ready for his routine, right in front of the NBC commentary booth. The NBC commentators were shown not talking into their mics --- but at the same time we heard the commentary from these same people. These commentaries were done AFTER THE FACT -- they were not done live while the action was happening !!
post #206 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Liked: 12
I guess this needs to be stated again, but NBC doesn't treat the Olympics like a mere sports event, but rather an entertainment and human interest event, with the marketing towards people who aren't regular sports viewers. Of course the "best" events will be held back and processed and packaged for the prime-time period. NBC's prime-time ratings so far shows that the formula still works, even a bit better than usual. Sure it pisses off you sports geeks, but NBC doesn't care about you, and you are provided with alternate methods to get your fill of archery and table tennis. smile.gif

I actually like these non-USA Olympics, the results are all in by late mid-afternoon, which means I usually don't have to waste time with NBC's prime-time packaging. If something really big happens I'll tune in to watch it, that's where NBC's packaging can help.
post #207 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

NBC, I caught you.
Ya all can see this, if you have the DVR rewind a bit. ... In the final round of Gymnastics team final. The third Chinese gymnast was getting ready for his routine, right in front of the NBC commentary booth. The NBC commentators were shown not talking into their mics --- but at the same time we heard the commentary from these same people. These commentaries were done AFTER THE FACT -- they were not done live while the action was happening !!

You are right, it was riveting, but not the same on NBC. In typical fashion as I have seen many times these games, someone's score who've you just watched is NEVER shown. I wanted to see the score of the last british guy, but they NEVER showed it. They showed the British team hugging and everything, but never thought ONCE to give us the score??? #NBCFail
post #208 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 171
From the "Hot Off the Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). rolleyes.gif

TV Sports
#NBCfail: Network spoils itself again with nighttime promo
By Jesse Yomtov, USA Today - Jul. 30, 2012

We're through three full days of the London Olympics and already finding it difficult to keep track of all the #NBCfail moments.

Missy Franklin, 17, won gold in the 100-meter backstroke on Monday, which NBC held for its prime-time tape delay.

Just six minutes before airing the race, NBC ran a promo for The Today Show, which led off: "When you're 17 years old and win your first gold medal, there's nobody you'd rather share it with. We're there when Missy Franklin and her parents reunite…"

Here's video of the promo.

Of course, the Twitterverse took notice:

ESPN's Trey Wingo simply stated the news: "NBC just ran a promo of what happens to Missy Franklin after she wins a gold medal.. BEFORE they showed her winning the gold medal."

Tuscaloosa News' Cecil Hurt: "NBC airs Missy Franklin gold medal promo before the Missy Franklin race. In headline style: Network Extends Middle Finger To America."

Elise Hasbrook: "Seriously? I stay off Twitter all day & right before Missy Franklin swims NBC runs a promo for the gold medal interview with her? #NBCFail"

You've got to feel for Hasbrook and other Americans who surely did their dardnest to avoid the news.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/story/2012-07-30/nbc-fail-spoils-missy-franklin-race-with-promo/56597752/1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #209 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From the "Hot Off the Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). rolleyes.gif

TV Sports
#NBCfail: Network spoils itself again with nighttime promo
By Jesse Yomtov, USA Today - Jul. 30, 2012

We're through three full days of the London Olympics and already finding it difficult to keep track of all the #NBCfail moments.

Missy Franklin, 17, won gold in the 100-meter backstroke on Monday, which NBC held for its prime-time tape delay.

Just six minutes before airing the race, NBC ran a promo for The Today Show, which led off: "When you're 17 years old and win your first gold medal, there's nobody you'd rather share it with. We're there when Missy Franklin and her parents reunite…"

Here's video of the promo.

They must have pulled the promo from the west coast feed. Or, I missed it even though I was expecting it.
post #210 of 799 Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

this is my biggest complaint. the sports i watch for the olympics mainly are basketball, football(soccer), swimming, tennis, and track. most other events i don't care about, but will watch if they're on. i am thrilled that there is a basketball channel, a football channel, tennis gets coverage on bravo, etc. but why do they decide to show none of this on the main NBC OTA station? is the US men's basketball team less of a draw than cycling? sure, there may be fans of cycling, but why not put cycling on msnbc or nbc sports net? i know i'm person 500000 to complain about tape delays, but shouldn't it be easy enough to show it live on any channel and then replay it on tape delay for those that missed it? i find myself watching the swimming events on delay after watching them live online, because the online streams are just terrible. it will go fine for a few minutes, randomly freeze, and repeat. you can't even get a real full screen window of the action, despite it not being available to everyone for free.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page