Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

IMHO this whole 3 tribe thing was and is a dumb idea.

The hope was that three tribes would prevent another Pagong after the merge. This has been a problem in recent seasons because contestants after the merge have cheerfully let themselves get voted off without a fight, or in some cases with a hopeless last minute scramble. They don't try to make new alliances after the merge and cower at anyone who might have an idol. Another solution would be get smarter contestants but that's crazy talk.

Of course they didn't expect one team to suck this much. They probably thought Russ could easily carry the entire tribe on his back.

Russ reminds me of those super-ripped guys who sign up for marathons, then around mile five you see them doubled over on the side of the road throwing up on themselves.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33idolfinder View Post

Why did they lose? First hit broke 2 and 3 (1 was broken already). Then they broke 4, then 5, then 6, but at that point for some reason Jeff instead of "Matsing wins the challenge" said they had two left!!!! eek.gifeek.gif

How can the FIRST hit be 2 and 3, one can't already be broken on a FIRST one broken hit. First hit means one is broken, the swing back to break another is the second hit. I watched it again and it is exactly like what went down, the red team caught up fast and Malcom missed twice causing the red to hit their last pot on the back swing.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe Russell collapsed at the mat like he was exhausted. How could he possibly be exhausted already? He just laid there, sure it was all Malcom at that point but to act like you are just completely exhausted. The female, who did EVERYTHING he just did wasn't even breathing heavy. They sooo should of kept Angie, Russell just sucks at this game.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I can't believe Russell collapsed at the mat like he was exhausted. How could he possibly be exhausted already? He just laid there, sure it was all Malcom at that point but to act like you are just completely exhausted. The female, who did EVERYTHING he just did wasn't even breathing heavy. They sooo should of kept Angie, Russell just sucks at this game.

Russell problem is he has no stamina. He is strong but any activity that requires endurance he completely runs out of gas. I have seen many highly muscular individuals that fall victim to this. He really is not a very good physical player for the challenges.

Barry
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just to add on Russell. In his mind "giving his all" to the point of collapse is a demonstration of his commitment or desire. He wears this as a badge of honor but really it is just lack of conditioning.

barry
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

Just to add on Russell. In his mind "giving his all" to the point of collapse is a demonstration of his commitment or desire. He wears this as a badge of honor but really it is just lack of conditioning.
barry

I think it is an almost complete lack of self-awareness -- like Malcom said. He doesn't understand where he fits in this world (how others might percieve him, etc.). "I'm not going to try to be a leader this time. I'm just going to sit back" --- and then all he does is leads (and leads poorly). This lack of self-awareness makes it tough for him to do anything -- mental or physical. He said he was "blindsided". Really?? There are only three people left -- someone's got to go....
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

barry

age is a big factor too
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

age is a big factor too

Heck, I'm probably at least 20 years older and I could have done that challenge and I know I could have climbed up on the dock last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

What happened to the rule about not sitting out people 2 challenges in a row? Doesn't seem to be enforced.
When the tribes with 6 can keep sitting out their worst 3 and the tribe that had 3 has to use everyone they have, they don't have much of a chance (even though they were in this one right until the end).

I thought it was you couldn't sit the same players out two weeks in a row.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Heck, I'm probably at least 20 years older and I could have done that challenge and I know I could have climbed up on the dock last week.
I thought it was you couldn't sit the same players out two weeks in a row.

I think my 70 year old father-in-law could of climbed up a 3 foot ladder too. biggrin.gif

Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Russell problem is he has no stamina. He is strong but any activity that requires endurance he completely runs out of gas. I have seen many highly muscular individuals that fall victim to this. He really is not a very good physical player for the challenges.
Barry

Yep....Russell needed to add some cardio conditioning to his pre-Survivor weightlifting regimen
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I think my 70 year old father-in-law could of climbed up a 3 foot ladder too. biggrin.gif

At 65, I'm not exactly the picture of fitness .. but, for my age, all things considering, I'm in pretty good shape especially since I essentially abused myself in my younger days .. smoking / drinking / etc ..

That said, these folks don't just get called up one day and head out on Survivor the next day .. they have a degree of time to prepare .. and as a fan of the show from the get go, I believe that it's not just the physical prep, it's as much mental .. although physical is important .. for all of Russell's smack talk and bravado, he was not prepared mentally .. and likely never will be .. he gave up in the swimming challenge, the rice urn break was no better .. I just did not see the will to win in him .. then, he wanted to blame everyone else .. then, reverted to faith and God .. if he were a woman, he would be a Diva ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
they look so poor/fatigued in challenges largely because they are sleep deprived, generally mal-nutritioned and possibly dehydrated.

It is much easier to perform at your physical (and mental) peak having slept and eaten well. Day after day of those conditions take a toll on you. Not saying they are great athletes or in great shape but the situation is much different.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I got a good chuckle out of the part when Russell was looking for the idol and describing what would happen as he looked for it and they added that in, pretty good stuff.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

they look so poor/fatigued in challenges largely because they are sleep deprived, generally mal-nutritioned and possibly dehydrated.
It is much easier to perform at your physical (and mental) peak having slept and eaten well. Day after day of those conditions take a toll on you. Not saying they are great athletes or in great shape but the situation is much different.

That might have been true 10 years ago .. they seem to get plenty of food these days .. and water .. and it's early in the game as well ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
"That might have been true 10 years ago .. they seem to get plenty of food these days .. and water .. and it's early in the game as well .."

It is not as extreme as when Survivor first started but they are not eating or sleeping well. A day or two of this and you can overcome it with adrenaline and or other short-term efforts, but now over a week of it makes a real impact on conditioning and muscle mass as you'd expect.

Mental conditioning as well. Think how irritable folks are after a bad night's sleep or two. Now add in not eating/drinking properly and the stress of the game. That lends itself to seeing quite a few blow-ups every season!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"That might have been true 10 years ago .. they seem to get plenty of food these days .. and water .. and it's early in the game as well .."
It is not as extreme as when Survivor first started but they are not eating or sleeping well. A day or two of this and you can overcome it with adrenaline and or other short-term efforts, but now over a week of it makes a real impact on conditioning and muscle mass as you'd expect.
Mental conditioning as well. Think how irritable folks are after a bad night's sleep or two. Now add in not eating/drinking properly and the stress of the game. That lends itself to seeing quite a few blow-ups every season!

I'm not there, so I'm not privy to the food and sleep routine, although I seriously doubt it's as bad as you might think .. .. however, blaming poor performance at a challenge on these issues does not hold water for me simply because others seem to do pretty well .. Russell was and is a poor player .. and a big baby to top it all off ..

Uncle Willie

Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

It is not as extreme as when Survivor first started but they are not eating or sleeping well.

Back in the day by the end of the season they walked around like zombies. Regarding Russell he certainly isn't a great athlete by any measure. At the same time I think he mentally wears himself out. I do think we tend to underestimate the conditions. We see it raining for 2 minutes versus them being rained upon almost the entire time they have been there (at least according to one or two of their accounts). I know after an hour or two I wouldn't be the same... nevertheless day after day.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The rain/cold would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Wonder what the ocean water temp. is around the Philippines?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How can we know anything about their living conditions? We see just a few minutes of their day! We don't even know the true outcome of the challenge, thanks to that ridiculous editing*. There is no point in judging these people when you have no reliable info to base that judgment. Just enjoy the show (if you can).

Personally I would like it better if it was real, same way as I enjoy sports better if I know a game is not fixed.

*Actually I was wrong at previous post. Malcolms first swing broke 3 pots, and there was one already broken !! That's 4 broken pots after that swing!!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My point is, contestants know what they are getting into when they apply to be on the show ..

in the last few years, some have looked like they have actually gained weight .. to me, it's looking more like some sort of adventure vacation ..

Uncle Willie

Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually it's still common for contestants to lose ten to twenty pounds by the time they reach Panderosa. Ben Henry in the Nicaragua season lost over thirty pounds. I don't know of any contestant who has gained weight. They're eating mostly rice and sitting out in the freezing rain will burn calories continuously. That's not what I would call an adventure vacation.

There might be another factor with Russell. Army studies showed that soldiers with large muscle mass are less able to adapt to a lower calorie diet. These big guys were the first to hit the dirt when rations started getting low.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Like I said, some contestants look like they actually gain weight.. some contestants being the operative .. and there are vacations were folks do pay for this type of hardcorps activity ..

Uncle Willie

Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I was certain that Alicia last season gained weight as it went on, but after watching her Ponderosa video, she did lose a good amount as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The rain/cold would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

the cold rain would be rough for me too. and it looks like it rains there a lot. russell was visibly shaking at tribal. part of that might've been because he was nervous about getting voted out. but when you see their hands and feet all pruned up, you know conditions are no fun. i mentioned age in a previous post. i'm 51 and for me personally, it's harder to get in shape, harder to stay in shape, easier to get injured, and it takes longer to recover from an injury. and that's when you can control your nourishment. everyone is different of course but it certainly doesn't look like a picnic out there.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

About 80 degrees in the "summer".
Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

My point is, contestants know what they are getting into when they apply to be on the show ..
in the last few years, some have looked like they have actually gained weight .. to me, it's looking more like some sort of adventure vacation ..

Every year at the Olympics the world's greatest Marathon runners gather to run a race. They have months and months to prepare, and every time multiple either get injured or surrender to the conditions. No matter how hard you prepare until you are in it you never know what will happen.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Like I said, some contestants look like they actually gain weight.. some contestants being the operative ..
Which contestants? Do you remember their names? The only contestant I can remember who was able keep their weight was grouchy old Jane, probably because she was fishing and collecting food on her own and didn't do much else.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

according to the preview, dana gets sick and they make it look like she might leave the show. i hope that doesn't happen. i hate when they don't have a tribal council.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

according to the preview, dana gets sick and they make it look like she might leave the show. i hope that doesn't happen. i hate when they don't have a tribal council.

There was a tribal council....
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

There was a tribal council....
And what a tribal council it was! When is the last time Jeff has received a passionate good-bye embrace/kiss like that, if ever?