post #271 of 489 Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Agreed on Terry. But on St. Nick - several (all?) of the judges called out the "catch-up" as a fault, and he made no comment about doing it on purpose, so I have to believe that was a fault in his performance.

Could be a fault .. I'm just sayin' .. wink.gif .. its is a technique that's not uncommon ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agreed with all the saves except the Mohawk girl...would have sent her through and send either the guy from Arkansas or the girl originally from Egypt.
post #273 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Eh, I think the Mohawk girl deserved to go. But I would have been okay with pretty much anyone going except for Cassadee Pope. And call me Knucklehead Johnson but I'm starting to like Melanie Martinez now. I usually don't like the "unique" singers but she has a cool voice. Everybody else can go.
post #274 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Eh, I think the Mohawk girl deserved to go. But I would have been okay with pretty much anyone going except for Cassadee Pope. And call me Knucklehead Johnson but I'm starting to like Melanie Martinez now. I usually don't like the "unique" singers but she has a cool voice. Everybody else can go.

I like Makenzie (mohawk girl). I was hoping Cody would go, but I'm sorta with you on Melanie now. She was good this week. The results show last night was really entertaining. Christina looked and sounded great, Ceelo and his team were pretty funny doing SNF. It bears repeating how great the band and audio technicians are. And this week the staging/lighting were better than anything on X Factor/Idol.
post #275 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The 2 eliminations were right inline with the iTunes sales chart, although as the season progresses, things will tighten up and the losers may not be so predictable.

iTunes Sales Rankings

30 – Trevin Hunte – When A Man Loves a Woman
32 – Cassadee Pope – Behind These Hazel Eyes
46 – Terry McDermott – More Than a Feeling
49 – Bryan Keith – Back to Black
60 – Melanie Martinez – Cough Syrup
77 – Nicholas David – The Power of Love
78 – Dez Duron – Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You
125 – Sylvia Yacoub – My Heart Will Go On
175 – Cody Belew – The Best
206 – Amanda Brown – Spectrum
296 – Michaela Paige – Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
Outside of the Top 400 - Adriana Louise – Good Girl
post #276 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

All were pretty predictable. Not surprising that Amanda Brown was saved, despite her horrible performance.

Not feeling the love for Melanie or Cody (her voice and his attitude bother me - I think he put both feet in his mouth when he made the comment about Christina having her eyes closed - that was a joke that only he got) - really wished that Michaela (mohawk girl) had gone through instead of one of them.
post #277 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Amanda was saved by the fact that she royally screwed up when there were still 11 other people around. A crappy performance like that of a song most people dont give a crap about is going to get her booted.
post #278 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How come you guys liked Michaela? I thought she was always pitchy, dawg. And I'm all for individuality, but that 8 foot mohawk was a little much.
post #279 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

^^Perhaps it was song choice (I'm a rocker at heart). Not really sure. I just know I really DON'T like Melanie - voice or look, though she seems like a sweet little girl. For me, Michaela was just fun and entertaining. If someone keeps my attention when they're on stage, I'm rooting for them. I unloaded the dryer and took out the trash when Melanie and Cody sang (though no denying Cody is talented).
post #280 of 489 Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

^^Perhaps it was song choice (I'm a rocker at heart). Not really sure. I just know I really DON'T like Melanie - voice or look, though she seems like a sweet little girl. For me, Michaela was just fun and entertaining. If someone keeps my attention when they're on stage, I'm rooting for them. I unloaded the dryer and took out the trash when Melanie and Cody sang (though no denying Cody is talented).
Good thing we aren't all alike. Melanie is one of my favorites.
post #281 of 489 Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

I dissed on Melanie pretty hard early on this season .. I've got to admit she's grown on me now ..

Michaela was an OK singer with just a great stage personallity .. I think she could be a Pop star, given the right material and promotion ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #282 of 489 Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I like Makenzie (mohawk girl). I was hoping Cody would go, but I'm sorta with you on Melanie now. She was good this week. The results show last night was really entertaining. Christina looked and sounded great, Ceelo and his team were pretty funny doing SNF. It bears repeating how great the band and audio technicians are. And this week the staging/lighting were better than anything on X Factor/Idol.

^^ .. the house band is one of the reasons I like the show .. and the sound / effects / lighting crew is not to shabby either ..

Although I appreciated the Bee Gees Disco Spoof Team CeeLo, that's another one of those songs, for me anyway, that should not be covered .. but, I think it was all in fun .. biggrin.gif

post #283 of 489 Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So, I either just missed the memo or they mentioned this change last week when I wasn't able to watch.

What do you guys think of the new elimination format which is more in line with American Idol? I wasn't aware that each coach wasn't going to be guaranteed a finalist like they had the previous seasons and that they could be knocked out of this competition just like on Duets.

I'm torn on my feelings. On one hand, it was cool to see each coach have a stake in this going into the finals, but on the other it really wasn't fair to allow contestants to move on simply for that fact if they truly did get the least amount of votes overall.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the coaches if they're left with no one left to mentor.
post #284 of 489 Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

So, I either just missed the memo or they mentioned this change last week when I wasn't able to watch.
What do you guys think of the new elimination format which is more in line with American Idol? I wasn't aware that each coach wasn't going to be guaranteed a finalist like they had the previous seasons and that they could be knocked out of this competition just like on Duets.
I'm torn on my feelings. On one hand, it was cool to see each coach have a stake in this going into the finals, but on the other it really wasn't fair to allow contestants to move on simply for that fact if they truly did get the least amount of votes overall.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the coaches if they're left with no one left to mentor.

I would not rule out some sort of final "New TWIST : Coaches can now bring back One contestant that was previously voted out" .. I'm speculating here, but who knows ..

post #285 of 489 Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They announced it a few weeks ago, I did a post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423033/the-voice-season-3-september-10-2012-nbc-hd/180#post_22530012

The main reason for the change was that Blake (especially) didn't like deciding who from his team went home when he only had 3 team members. Now, the last coaches decision is at 4 members, and they don't feel as guilty about kicking out a contestant that they have become attached to. Saying "I can't believe the audience voted you out" is much easier than actually doing it yourself.
post #286 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

A pretty decent night of singing last night. For me, the highlight was Nicholas with Lean on Me, he just seemed so natural and comfortable with that performance. Vocals were spot on. Awesome!
Weakest performances for me were Sylvia and Trevin. Dez surprised me a little too - he is a better singer than I have been giving him credit for.

The Canadian in me took offense to Carson's comment about Terry's performance of Summer of '69 - Carson referred to it as "A Classic American song!" He did try to correct himself at the end of the show, though.

According to the iTunes all Genre charts, it looks like Cassadee will be safe, with 10x the votes for coming first.

1 Blake Cassadee Pope “Over You” (also, Pop #1)
14 Adam Melanie Martinez “Seven Nation Army”
16 Adam Amanda Brown “Stars” (also, Pop #11)
19 CeeLo Nicholas David “Lean On Me” (also, Pop #13)
34 Xtina Dez Duron “Feeling Good” (also, Pop #17)
75 Blake Terry McDermott “Summer of ’69″
92 Adam Bryan Keith “New York State of Mind” (also, Pop #41)
142 Xtina Sylvia Yacoub “Girl On Fire” (also, Pop #60)
151 CeeLo Cody Belew “Crazy In Love” (also, Pop #64)
155 CeeLo Trevin Hunte “Scream”
post #287 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca 
142 Sylvia Yacoub “Girl On Fire”
151 Cody Belew “Crazy In Love”
155 Trevin Hunte “Scream”

It will be interesting to see if non-iTunes votes can change the outcome here. Also, Amanda Brown crashed last week (after the high from "Dream On"), while this week Trevin seems to have taken the drop from first to last.

Overall, the performances this week were so much better than the quality of last week. Other than a ridiculous amount of sway-bots on some songs, it was a really well produced 2 hours of tv.
post #288 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Trevin was pretty bad yesterday .. he should have taken CeeLos and Jennifers advice .. Cody proved once again he's style over substance ..

St Nick was the standout again for me .. I keep saying he has no shot at the win, but I'm really beginning to hope I'm wrong .. he reminds me so much of a young Leon Russell .. especially after being on the piano last night ..

CeeLo should suggest a classic Leon tune like "A Song For You" .. I think Nick would kill it ..

post #289 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

A pretty decent night of singing last night. For me, the highlight was Nicholas with Lean on Me, he just seemed so natural and comfortable with that performance. Vocals were spot on. Awesome!
Weakest performances for me were Sylvia and Trevin. Dez surprised me a little too - he is a better singer than I have been giving him credit for.
The Canadian in me took offense to Carson's comment about Terry's performance of Summer of '69 - Carson referred to it as "A Classic American song!" He did try to correct himself at the end of the show, though.
According to the iTunes all Genre charts, it looks like Cassadee will be safe, with 10x the votes for coming first.
1 Blake Cassadee Pope “Over You” (also, Pop #1)
14 Adam Melanie Martinez “Seven Nation Army”
16 Adam Amanda Brown “Stars” (also, Pop #11)
19 CeeLo Nicholas David “Lean On Me” (also, Pop #13)
34 Xtina Dez Duron “Feeling Good” (also, Pop #17)
75 Blake Terry McDermott “Summer of ’69″
92 Adam Bryan Keith “New York State of Mind” (also, Pop #41)
142 Xtina Sylvia Yacoub “Girl On Fire” (also, Pop #60)
151 CeeLo Cody Belew “Crazy In Love” (also, Pop #64)
155 CeeLo Trevin Hunte “Scream”
I loved Cassadee and Nicholas, but somehow missed Melanie (darn it). I was not impressed by Trevin at all, but he was the only one I can say that about last night.
post #290 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Cassadie and Melanie are now top 10 on iTunes. Cassadie has been at number one all day. Great night of singing for the most part, but Cody needs to go. Just get out. I dont want Trevin to leave, but he deserves to go after last night. And I'll be damned if Melanie isn't winning me over. Such a cool rendition of 7 Nation Army. Amanda was great, Nick was godly, Brian was great. A really great night of singing and performing. Something I loved was Adam telling the crowd to shut the hell up so he could be heard. Take note of that, Simon Cowell and your producers. People like to hear the folks who are talking. People enjoy hearing the actually singers sing. Weird I know, but try it.
post #291 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

And once again, America misses the boat. Brian got screwed.
post #292 of 489 Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Cody should have gone. Not Brian, but Brian was going to go soon anyway.
post #293 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, and I know I'm a broken record here, but I still do not get the appeal of Melanie and others like her.

She is not a good singer and it's why she has to take songs and completely change them to fit her lack of range. That doesn't make someone good or unique. It makes them one note and boring.

That, and maybe I'm just old school in my thinking here, but songs should not be messed with to that extent. I'm fine with a few changes here and there, but to go to the complete opposite of the spectrum on a song to me is butchering it. If the original artist meant for the song to be sung that way, then they would have done so.

Enough with these boring Indie artists that think they are so special that they have to change every song they sing.

Oh, and Cassadee was gorgeous during her performance. biggrin.gif
post #294 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Something I loved was Adam telling the crowd to shut the hell up so he could be heard. Take note of that, Simon Cowell and your producers. People like to hear the folks who are talking. People enjoy hearing the actually singers sing. Weird I know, but try it.

Maybe if they would stop filling the audience with these shrieking little girls, they wouldn't have this problem.

I know for myself it's getting really annoying.
post #295 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Many, many singers make a song their own .. it's called style ..and many end up making it something completely different than the original .. I dissed Melanie early on and I admitted later she started to grow on me .. although she's not got a huge range and she's not dynamic, her delivery is consistent, she's in tune and on pitch and on stage delivers a certain degree of vulnerability .. I don't think she's had a bad night yet .. would I buy her record .. ?? No .. but I'm willing to give kudos where it's due ..

The screaming people are thankfully limited to the end of a song and are kept under pretty good control .. I've not seen a scenario where it just kept up and stayed overpowering ..

I was shocked to see Brian go ..

post #296 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Trevin was pretty bad yesterday .. he should have taken CeeLos and Jennifers advice .. Cody proved once again he's style over substance ..
St Nick was the standout again for me .. I keep saying he has no shot at the win, but I'm really beginning to hope I'm wrong .. he reminds me so much of a young Leon Russell .. especially after being on the piano last night ..
CeeLo should suggest a classic Leon tune like "A Song For You" .. I think Nick would kill it ..

Treyvin's song was definitely out of his wheelhouse and it showed. It was, by far, his poorest performance. ++ on Nick doing a Leon Russell interpretation of "Song for You" with the bonus of Nick's amazingly smooth bartitone that he can transition to a low tenor almost efforlessly. There were some other outstanding performances on Monday. Dez' Feeling Good was almost perfect and the white Tux jacket really helped sell the number. Terry was his usual great Rocker self and Amanda's choice of song and her delivery were stellar. Cassedee, working outside of her usual genre, was touching and quite good and Billy Joel wouild have been pleased with Bryan's effort on New York State of Mind. I thought that Cody's number was more glittter and staging than it was a good vocal performance. I would have sent him packing long before Bryan who is a superior pure singer. Although Melanie was actually pretty good and is intriguing, again if it came down to Bryan or her, no contest, IMHO. Sylvia leaving? No problem. Although I thought that Monday she gave her best performance, she just wasn't in the same league as some of the other contestants.
post #297 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Sorry, and I know I'm a broken record here, but I still do not get the appeal of Melanie and others like her.

She is not a good singer and it's why she has to take songs and completely change them to fit her lack of range. That doesn't make someone good or unique. It makes them one note and boring.

That, and maybe I'm just old school in my thinking here, but songs should not be messed with to that extent. I'm fine with a few changes here and there, but to go to the complete opposite of the spectrum on a song to me is butchering it. If the original artist meant for the song to be sung that way, then they would have done so.

Enough with these boring Indie artists that think they are so special that they have to change every song they sing.

Oh, and Cassadee was gorgeous during her performance. biggrin.gif

There is much more to singing than just hitting the correct notes or having a wide vocal range. Lyrical phrasing can be even more important. And, re-arranging music is very much "appropriate." I've listened to a group play all night doing Beatles' songs with a samba or Coltrane twist. Very nice. Many Beatles songs convert to bossa nova very nicely. I can do without singers who attempt to duplicate the original artist's work.
post #298 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

There is much more to singing than just hitting the correct notes or having a wide vocal range. Lyrical phrasing can be even more important. And, re-arranging music is very much "appropriate." I've listened to a group play all night doing Beatles' songs with a samba or Coltrane twist. Very nice. Many Beatles songs convert to bossa nova very nicely. I can do without singers who attempt to duplicate the original artist's work.

I think one of the reasons I'm not a huge Terry the Hobbit fan is he does tend to follow the original pretty closely .. when CeeLo said something like "I'm ready to hear something of your own" .. was a good point .. Terry is likable and he can sing, but it's a bit like good karaoke rather than making the song his own ..

And this is exactly why I like St Nick .. you know what the song is, it's essentially the same yet has his own style to it and does not drift way too far away from the original ..

post #299 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The appeal for me of Melanie this week wasn't the song choice, but what she did with it. Singing the bass line was really cool.
post #300 of 489 Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Trevin, you were born to sing R & B like few can. Do it. Chillbumps don't lie, and you can bring 'em. Forget the Rush crap. Leave it to the hacks.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page