The Voice Season 3, September 10, 2012 NBC HD - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Last night was such a mixed bag .. I continue to see Terry as a one trick pony .. yes, he can sing, but he's not that great .. as I've said before, good karaoke .. his take on "Stay With Me" was just plain bad .. he did not pull it off, and the put on swagger was not working .. most Rod Stewart songs are best left to Rod .. Terry's continued ressurection of classic Rock is a mimic more than an interpretation ..

Kudos to Paul Merkovich on the harmonies, he should audition for the show

Amanda once again moved up on my list .. she's consistently week in and week out I think working the hardest to stay .. "Natural Woman", one of my favorite songs, was great, and had a lot of emotion in it ..

Trevin, the minute they said "Walking on Sunshine", I thought come on CeeLo, ... sure, it's a happy, bouncy tune, but just so far out of Trevin's usual .. bad song choice .. and why does the dude do so many covers of songs originally by women .. ?? I'd like to see some classic Motown / some Teddy Pendergrass / etc .. after all, Terry made it this far on stale Classic rock .. Trevin should go home

St Nick suffered with a bad, bad song choice with September .. that might send him home .. I hated to see my favorite muddle thru that .. shame on CeeLo again .. "Rainbow" was stunning .. I thought I had heard every interpretation of that until last night ..

Melanie was way off key in several areas of both songs .. she's a great kid, but she should go home after last night

Cassadee may be the front runner and she is likely the most commercially viable singer in the group .. she is consistent and the girl can sing .. but, there are literally thousands of her out in the world trying to break into the biz .. good luck to her ..

Two have to go .. yet when it comes down to Americas vote, talent in many cases goes out the window .. the mentors always harp on "That audience connection" and that is one of the most important aspects of a singer .. if that were the criteria, then Trevin and Terry should go ..

Lastly, a judge that no longer has a contestant in the running should be required to shut up for the remainder of the show .. thinly disguised attempts to boost or dis a remaining contestant should not be allowed unless you still have a singer in the running ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Lastly, a judge that no longer has a contestant in the running should be required to shut up for the remainder of the show .. thinly disguised attempts to boost or dis a remaining contestant should not be allowed unless you still have a singer in the running ..

Especially one that ALWAYS interjects "them" into every comment... Christina doing that and CeeLo's incoherent ramblings is too much....really the only Judge I like to hear from regardless of singer is Blake. He's funny as hell and get's to the point.
post #363 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

Especially one that ALWAYS interjects "them" into every comment... Christina doing that and CeeLo's incoherent ramblings is too much....really the only Judge I like to hear from regardless of singer is Blake. He's funny as hell and get's to the point.

I've gotten used to CeeLo's rambling .. he's an eccentric and I am as well, folks like us tend to have our brains go off into sometimes a less than logical train of thought ... kind of a stream of consiousness thing .. wink.gif

Christina, on the other hand, sometimes appears to me to actually be jealous at times .. and just plain mean .. and I don't like it because she has millions / fame / fans / etc .. last night, when she was saying something toward Melanie and suddenly popped of with "She's not even looking at me .. !" .. well, Christina, with all due respect, (which in many cases, you don't give others) .. Melanie is a 17 year old, obviously very sensitive individual and also well liked by the fans .. so even though I may not root for Melanie, I can respect who she is .. and if I were her and felt the obvious attempts at slamming me, I would not look at you either ..

And then there is Christina's comments on the staging when Melanie performs .. she acts like it's the staging that's getting Melanie voted thru .. glad last night Adam set her straight ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #364 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And then there is Christina's comments on the staging when Melanie performs .. she acts like it's the staging that's getting Melanie voted thru .. glad last night Adam set her straight ..

That was a classic comment that made me laugh out loud. It's feels Christina does not want to pay Melanie any compliment so she compliments the props.....
post #365 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I probably shouldn't mention this since I'm certainly no Channing Tatum (People Magazine's current Sexiest Man Alive), but if Cassadee wins and gets a huge recording contract, I hope she spends some of he cash for reconstruction of her nasal columella. She's a pretty girl, but that one feature is really noticeable, especially when they show a side view.
post #366 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I haven't seen the show yet, but based on the Christina comments (again), i stand by what I said last week.

This hiatus of hers need to become a permanent one. I definitely want to see Cee-Lo come back, but as far as Christina goes, then good riddance.
post #367 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Not the best night of singing, that is for sure. Frankly, I think Ceelo is hurting his team more than helping at this point - the song choices were dreadful. It is quite clear that Ceelo is just a different sort of cat, and thinks differently from the average Joe.

My wife and I always thought Cassadee was just another Avril Wannabee, and she solidified our thoughts last night. I'd rather just listen to Avril.

I really like Melanie's tone, but she needs a lot of training to strengthen it. It is just too weak the majority of the time. I actually felt a little bad for her after Xtina kept bashing her. (and why did Xtina feel the need to sing and sing during her critique?)

As much as I liked the Scottish rocker when the show started, I would like to see him go this week. He isn't really a good musical artist, he is just a really really good karaoke singer. Nice voice, but no connection to the songs, and clearly has no desire to even try to be current or relevant.

I think Amanda had the most consistent night overall. I still can't believe Nick is still in this thing, but I really hope he wins it now.
post #368 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I think Amanda had the most consistent night overall. I still can't believe Nick is still in this thing, but I really hope he wins it now.

I agree with most everything you stated, however I have a feeling tonight Amanda and Melanie are gone. Nic is the one I'm hoping wins but not sure how he plays to the younger generation.
post #369 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

St Nick is the New Millenium version of Leon Russell .. and Leon was one of the most influential artists of the 1960's and 1970's ..

He has the talent, he's a great keyboard player as well and he's got that audience connection .. he deserves to win as he is the absolute best true talent in this season .. but, he's a long shot because of his looks and the fact that we live in a manufactured music time period these days ..

It's sad, really ..

Uncle Willie

post #370 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Completely agree with mgkdragn's assessment of Terry. In fact last night I turned to the Missus and said "he's a one trick pony". Terry has a great pure Rock and Roll band front man voice but there is sameness to his always singing in hs narrow high range. I didn't care for Melanie''s first number but thought that she was very cute on the second one. Xtina's critiques of her were idiotic, focusing on the set design more than the performance and not even getting her facts straight (sigh). Nick's first song was definately way out of his wheelhouse and it showed. The frenzied Soul era production didn't help. He was much better on Somewhere Over the Rainbow and, again, I agree that he could be this era's Leon Russell. Trevin has become more of a joke to me with each passing week. The ability to hit screeching high notes does not a good singer make. He frequently has pitch problems and could use some serious vocal training. Unfortunately the coaches have pimped him so hard that he's likely to survive again. Cassadee was very good last night and her voice seems to be more at home with country/cross-over songs than the pure rock that she's used to. That brings me to Amanda who I think is the best pure vocalist on this show. Sure she misses occasionally due to poor song choice (like trying a Florence Welch number a few weeks ago) but when she gets a song that suits her voice, she is great. I thought that she hit two home runs last night and her stage presence and movement, particularly on the second number, were outstanding. Add to that her ability to look stunning with the right outfits, hairstyle and makeup and I think that she's the pick of the litter. The final should be her and Cassadee but I suspect that the voting public will eliminate Amanda rather than let its precious Mealnie and the overhyped Trevin go home.
post #371 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The iTunes sales, viewer poll, and predictions article is up on MJ's site.

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/the-voice-3-top-6-itunes-rankings-poll-results-predictions.htm

The sales info has moved around a lot since last night (it is updated at least hourly, one post said every 15 minutes). It should be a very close elimination tonight.
post #372 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

St Nick is the New Millenium version of Leon Russell .. and Leon was one of the most influential artists of the 1960's and 1970's ..
He has the talent, he's a great keyboard player as well and he's got that audience connection .. he deserves to win as he is the absolute best true talent in this season .. but, he's a long shot because of his looks and the fact that we live in a manufactured music time period these days ..
It's sad, really ..

Don't let this go to your head...you have some really good posts. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I would post more in this thread, but you already have posted what I am thinking. biggrin.gif
post #373 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
5 of the top 10 ten on iTunes Singles Chart right now are The Voice contestants. If nothing else, they're generating a lot of cash for NBC and Apple.

And judging by the placement of most of them, if I were a contestant on The Voice, I'd never choose Ceelo as my coach. His song choices are not only stupid, buy they're sinking his singers.
post #374 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Don't let this go to your head...you have some really good posts. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I would post more in this thread, but you already have posted what I am thinking. biggrin.gif

Great minds, right .. ?? wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #375 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

5 of the top 10 ten on iTunes Singles Chart right now are The Voice contestants. If nothing else, they're generating a lot of cash for NBC and Apple.
And judging by the placement of most of them, if I were a contestant on The Voice, I'd never choose Ceelo as my coach. His song choices are not only stupid, buy they're sinking his singers.

And it's sad because early on, I think I went on record here as saying CeeLo had the best team .. they went down the tubes fast ..

I'm not against variety, but by this time, the coach should know what works for the singer .. I hate to say it, but I believe I could come up with better selections ..

Uncle Willie

post #376 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I probably shouldn't mention this since I'm certainly no Channing Tatum (People Magazine's current Sexiest Man Alive), but if Cassadee wins and gets a huge recording contract, I hope she spends some of he cash for reconstruction of her nasal columella. She's a pretty girl, but that one feature is really noticeable, especially when they show a side view.

I watch the show at 110" .. the nose thing really, really sticks out .. I did not know if it was freckles or what .. and apparently, makeup does not hide .. HD can be so revealing .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #377 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Ceelo likes large stage productions with as many people on stage as possible. Sometimes that works, however with the songs he has chosen it is not working out so well for his team. For example during his "September" song, the large mass of people on stage were singing the chorus. It was awkward and left everyone wanting to hear Nicholas sing the chorus.
post #378 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
For what it's worth, my wife and young daughter (7 years old) loved loved loved Melanie's little theater production/song. I thought it was cute, but her voice live isn't very strong. The iTunes recording of it is very strong though. It might just be a confidence thing.
post #379 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I watch the show at 110" .. the nose thing really, really sticks out .. I did not know if it was freckles or what .. and apparently, makeup does not hide .. HD can be so revealing .. wink.gif
I do most of the time also, tonight I watched on the 65", doesn't bother me... tonight I don't agree with the "America's" choices that were presented... at least one of them. (Amanda should have stayed, Treven should have went)
post #380 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
^^Agreed, I was not surprised, but certainly did not want Amanda to go. Still pulling for St. Nick! Let's go baby! Show the young'uns how it's done!
post #381 of 489 Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sorry to see Amanda go. She had become my favorite and the duet with Neo confirmed the camera loves her. She has show she has chops repeatedly. Cassadee's appeal is mystery to me. There is zero distinction in her voice to the point I doubt I could put her name with a song over the radio unless they announced who it was. Very average. Oddly, the first and only song Melanie has sung I appreciated was the duet with Nickolas David. Straight up jazz seems to be her sweet spot rather than the quirky teeny crap. Now she's gone, gone, gone.

I'm right there with the coaches...Trevin is the talent in the crowd, but I beg for him to return to the R&B song style where he pulled me in. Enough with the "stretching," Celo, if you have it, flaunt it. Stay in that sweet spot. If the Almighty gives you golden pipes, what, you're going to debase the gift with sloppy hoofing it and cruising through some throw-away ditty like sunshine something-or-another? Get serious.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #382 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 AM

Liked: 10
I hope the finalists will get to choose their own songs. They should have the right to outright refuse a song they think will not do them good. I am happy for Nicholas and Terry, they're not young and their votes do not ride on teens, it's their last chance to shine. I know people will disagree with me the way they disagreed when I said Melanie will not survive that tacky production number. Anyway, if Casadee wins, it will be no different from the blah victories of Javier Colon and Jermaine Paul. I hope things will change and there is a breakthrough.
post #383 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I'll go ahead and make my revised order of finish

What I would love to see
1. Nicholas
2. Casaddee
3. Terry
4. Trevin

What I predict it will Finish
1. Casaddee
2. Terry
3. Nicholas
4. Trevin

I agree with Distorted....Melanie's number with Nickolas was very good.....hate to admit it but Xtina was right that that song is what she should have sung Monday night.
post #384 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
As much as I'd like to see Cassadee win, I don't think women have as much of a chance as a fart in a whirlwind in singing competitions any more. Heck, I doubt if Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood could even win these days.
post #385 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what it's worth, my wife and young daughter (7 years old) loved loved loved Melanie's little theater production/song. I thought it was cute, but her voice live isn't very strong. The iTunes recording of it is very strong though. It might just be a confidence thing.

Hold your hats folks.
For as critical as I have been of Melanie, I have to say that 2nd song she did, I actually liked. Figures, the one time I like something of hers, she goes home. biggrin.gif

I am quite upset at Amanda being booted. I'm not as critical of Terry as most of you are mainly because he sings the songs I like, but give me a break. How does he survive and the only person who I feel has any diversity goes home? Seriously, aside from maybe Cassadee who can sing country and pop, all of the rest are nothing but one trick ponies. You give them something out of their wheelhouse and they struggle with it. Amanda was one of those rare birds that could handle anything thrown at her. Want her to sing soft R&B? No problem. Want her to get raunchy and sing hard rock? No problem. Hell, she's a better rock singer than Terry is and that's what he's marketed as.

Sorry, but America (or should I say little girls and lonely housewives) screwed up the voting on that one big time. Like BoilerJim said, women don't stand a chance these days in these competitions and that's sad.
post #386 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Sorry, but America (or should I say little girls and lonely housewives) screwed up the voting on that one big time. Like BoilerJim said, women don't stand a chance these days in these competitions and that's sad.

I think you maybe proven wrong....Cassaddee has been the top of the charts.....as for how America is voting (little girls and lonely housewives) that doesn't explain how Dez didn't make the top 6 and Nicholas did..
post #387 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With each passing week, Amanda moved up on my personal chart .. I believe she worked the hardest, was the most willing to try whatever might work and acted like a tru pro throughout the whole process .. and, of course, she can sing .. sorry to see her go .. Trevin or Terry should have been on the plane home ...

America, sadly, has lost what taste they may have had when it comes to true talent and innovation in music .. which is really what it's all about, IMO ..

I wonder if the order of ellimination was the order of votes ..

If so, that would put St Nick at the bottom of the list ..

We have ..

Cassadee .. a good looking girl that's an OK singer .. listen closely to any track she's done .. in most cases, not all, but most, she drifts on pitch .. she's not that dynamic, but if you are looking for a vocalist that appeals to the teen / young adult crowd, she's your winner (someone mentioned her as being a Taylor Swift Wannabe earlier in the thread .. which may be true, but Swift's fame came from the ability to write songs that connect with her demographic in a huge way .. if she were just a singer, we would not know her name) .. Cass will have the toughest road of all simply because there are literally thousands of her working the fair / casino / bar circuit that have tried desperately to break in .. go to Nashville .. they are a dime a dozen .. and many are much better singers and lookers .. she is no Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson ..

Trevin .. seems like a nice enough kid, with a good backstory .. but notice how Carson does not send as many commentary questions his way .. why is that .. ?? And take a look at his expressions when just standing there .. I don't know if he even has a clue on how far he's come .. at any rate, he is the vocal gymnast .. much like Colon and Jermaine .. although they were much more commercially viable than Trevin .. can you say Ruben Studdard .. ?? Myself, I get tired of the same schick from the guy .. let's wait for the really, really high note scream and swoon .. then let's praise him like he's the Savior of Music .. no thank you .. but, if the vocal gymnast is your cup o tea, then he's your winner ..

Terry, Terry, Terry .. yes, I have listened to those songs from the day they came out on the radio .. yes, I have all of those records .. yes, I can sing along with all of them .. they are as familiar and comfortable to me as an old pair of broke in shoes .. but, unless you plan on doing what you've been doing (bar bands / cover singer) .. how far can they take you in the real World .. ?? Perhaps you can make it to the level of David Cook , Chris Daughtry but myself, I'd much rather listen to what they are doing rather than your week in and week out covers .. Steve Perry, where are you when we need you .. ?? But, if the Hobbit like wannabe Rocker with a lack of real swagger and a penchant for the oldies sung very much like the originals appeals to you, then he's your man ..

That brings me to St Nick .. which if you've read my posts from the get go, I have been a fan of from inception .. other than the mis step of September, which I blame on CeeLo (Nick looked obviously uncomfortable to me when he did that number) .. I believe he has consistently made each and every song his own, done a fresh and contemporary version of it, maintained his own integrity throughout the process, keeping his look and his style all his own .. it is absolutely a testament to his talent that, all things considered, he is still in it .. that, in an of itself speaks volumes .. he's beat out the teen heart throbs, he's beat out the contemporary singers, hes' beat out the much better looking singers, he's beat out everyone but himself and the other three .. what does that mean .. ?? It means he has that rare something that transends everything else .. it means he has the talent and the ability to connect with people .. which, IMO, should make him the winner .. so, if the non-conformist with the soulful voice that reaches into your heart each and every time (OK, most times.. wink.gif ) and reminds you what a joy a great singer / performer used to be back in the day appeals to you, then he's your man ..

St Nick for the Win

Uncle Willie

post #388 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

I think you maybe proven wrong....Cassaddee has been the top of the charts.....as for how America is voting (little girls and lonely housewives) that doesn't explain how Dez didn't make the top 6 and Nicholas did..

Wasn't Melanie near the top of those charts as well after Monday? If so, so much for that helping her out.

I know this is a different show, but just look at Idol. A female has not won there since season 6 (Jordan Sparks 2007) and that was probably only because she was up against some idiot who thought beatboxing was singing.

Yeah, maybe my description of who exactly votes was a bit over the top, but lets not pretend like females don't do a majority of the voting based on the fact than males win these competitions way more than females do.

*EDIT* - Nevermind on Melanie. I see that this week she actually suffered on the iTunes charts (how the hell did Terry top them all). Guess I just assumed she was near the top since she always seemed to be in week's past. I still stand on my voting comments though and if Trevin wins, then I already have a comment lined up that I've been holding since Day 1.
post #389 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

this may not be the final list but here it was yesterday. I think if they were in the top 10 their votes get multiplied by 10

2. Terry McDermott – Team Blake – “I Want To Know What Love Is”
3. Cassadee Pope – Team Blake – “Stand”
4. Nicholas David – Team Cee Lo – “Over the Rainbow”
7. Cassadee Pope – Team Blake – “I’m With You”
8. Trevin Hunte – Team Cee Lo – “And I Am Telling You”
12. Melanie Martinez – Team Adam – “Crazy”
17. Melanie Martinez – Team Adam – “The Show”
21. Amanda Brown – Team Adam – “A Natural Woman”
30. Terry McDermott – Team Blake – “Stay With Me”
31. Amanda Brown – Team Adam – “Here I Go Again”
40. Nicholas David – Team Cee L0 – “September”
56. Trevin Hunte – Team Cee Lo – “Walking on Sunshine”
post #390 of 489 Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Yeah, maybe my description of who exactly votes was a bit over the top, but lets not pretend like females don't do a majority of the voting based on the fact than males win these competitions way more than females do.

Oh no doubt......I'm sure you are correct about that...and I was very surprised when Dez didn't make it because of that.... in fact I started to like Dez when him and Christina found his style.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page