Liked: 18
I just checked the iTunes charts...

1. Cassadee - Cry
5. Cassadee - Over You
6. Terry - Broken Wings
12. Terry - I Want to Know
17. Nick - Great Balls of Fire
24. Cassadee - Stupid Boy
35. Blake & Terry - Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
40. Terry - Steve McQueen
45. CeeLo & Nick - Play that Funky Music
46. Nick - Lean on Me
66. Terry - Let it Be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clearly Cassadee is going to take the crown, but my fave, Nick, hung in there waaaaaay longer than I thought he would. Frankly, as good as I think Nick is, I am rather shocked that he kept getting through each week. He just doesn't have that mainstream appeal and has a rather strange/unique look to him. Definitely will look for his music in the future!
post #453 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I do not get the appeal of Cassadee as a singer. She is cute enough and fills clothes like a model, which surely gathers support from the pre-teen girls who love dress-up (and vote like crazy), but when it comes to the namesake of the show, she is average. Her 1 1/2 octave range tails to nothingness on the lower notes she inadvisedly attempts and the high ones are nothing to write home about when hit. By comparison, the few notes Christina gave us on the opening song dedicated to the victims of the Newtown tragedy, drowned the three full attempts later in the show by Cassadee. Sad how so little can get so much attention, but then, as H.L. Mencken almost said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the good taste of the American public."

Congrats to The Voice for the great production values and backup musicians on the show. Blows away the weak attempts from their competition.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #454 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I just checked the iTunes charts...
6. Terry - Broken Wings
17. Nick - Great Balls of Fire

Awful! Simply awful! rolleyes.gif

Personally, I think that while Cassadee is a nothing different than tons of other like artists out there, she does have the best singing voice. Nick is the most unique, so it comes down to how people want to vote. Best or most unique voice.
Terry is neither and frankly should have been gone long ago.
post #455 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Congrats to The Voice for the great production values and backup musicians on the show. Blows away the weak attempts from their competition.

Neither of the two competing shows come close to matching the band or the production. It's pretty amazing how quickly this show hit its stride and separated itself from the pack in that regard.
post #456 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis2012 View Post

So there it was, the awaited finale. For me, the dark horse is Terry the Hobbit. As much as I like David, he didn't give the best performance tonight. And i never cared for The girl. i did love the retro rock songs of Terry and he sings it so well! Calling ye all retro rockers of the world unite! Let's vote for the Hobbit!
You never cared for "the girl?" OMG, she's fabulous! And, for the record, her name is Cassadee Pope.

"The girl" is not unlike 90% of the female vocalists in POP today. Extraordinary talent, but not in anyway unique. Terry is fine if you want 80s and 90s classic rock covers. Again, nothing to set him apart from the crowd. But St. Nick is somewhat unique, plus extremely talented. He went out last night and had fun! He gets my vote.
post #457 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

If Terry finishes ahead of Nick in either iTunes sales or the overall votes later tonight, then there is something seriously wrong with America.

St. Nick didn't sing iTunes type of songs. I guess somebody makes money on it, but iTunes purchases is not a fair way to judge talent.
post #458 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

There aren't tons of unique female singers. What separates the known from the unknown are the ones that can write their own songs (and write them well) or are lucky enough to be given really well-written songs. Cassadee's success this season is due to singing a bunch of really good songs really well. Her performance of Cry last night was outstanding. If she wins, she deserves it. She earned it. I can say the same for the other two. Some people have commented that there's not enough diversity of music on The Voice. That's absolute bullsh*t. Not only did we get high quality singing this season, but we got so many different and varied genres as well. If they can top this season next time around, we'll be lucky.
post #459 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guess its good it was a top 3 final or Blake would have done a victory lap last week.
post #460 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Quote:

If Terry finishes ahead of Nick in either iTunes sales or the overall votes later tonight, then there is something seriously wrong with America.

St. Nick didn't sing iTunes type of songs. I guess somebody makes money on it, but iTunes purchases is not a fair way to judge talent.
What is talent except popular opinion? Singing like a wounded animal could be talent if that's what everyone else prefers. No different then the populous deciding being" well dressed" is a wearing a suit and not a ripped T-shirt. Itunes is a smart business way of figuring it out. Even better than using positive vote spamming because the itune audience pays for music.
post #461 of 489 Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

A well-deserved win. And a great night of music overall.
post #462 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Finally! We had a show where the best contestant won!!
post #463 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
So who won? I've been working overtime at night and missed it!
post #464 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

So who won? I've been working overtime at night and missed it!

Here you go!
post #465 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
First, I'd like to thank all of you that contributed to the thread this season .. while we all may not agree all the time, music is subjective and all opinions are valid (usually.. wink.gif)

Join me at the 4th Season thread and weigh in your thoughts on our two new mentors ..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446259/the-voice-season-4-march-25th-2013-nbc-hd

I have the promo video posted, which I thought was pretty good ..

This season was for me, an incredible ride .. watching these folks progress and develop over the months has been a great journey .. and I believe this has been the best season so far .. as corny as it sounds, I developed a connection (at least as much as you can with a TV show) .. to many of the contestants and even more so with the mentors .. it has been great to see the show mature and I'm hoping Shakira and Usher keep the good vibe going ..

The final sing off and the finale .. ?? I can't really fault St Nick, Terry or Cass .. they all did a good job and America has spoken .. I hoped St Nick would win, but I knew it was a long shot .. good luck to all of them in their future career .. if CeeLo stays true to form, Nick will have a good shot at some degree of commercial sucess ..

Highlights last night .. man, oh man, where to begin .. ?? the funny clips on CeeLo were great .. the Frampton duet with Terry was excellent and I'll bet Terry was simply in awe to do it .. Nicks selection of the two Fire themed songs was not his best of the season, but I have to agree with what was said .. he just decided to let it all go and do something that he wanted to do .. I'm sure Nick felt at this point the win was out of reach .. he should have figured out a way to change tempo and slip "Light My Fire" in there somewhere .. wink.gif

Myself, I'll miss CeeLo and even Xtina next season, but, I'll bet we have a guest appearance of them ..

I don't want to sound like I'm gushing too much here, but I like the show and it has restored some of my drive as a guitarist and vocalist .. which is pretty rare at my age ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #466 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

First, I'd like to thank all of you that contributed to the thread this season .. while we all may not agree all the time, music is subjective and all opinions are valid (usually.. wink.gif)
Join me at the 4th Season thread and weigh in your thoughts on our two new mentors ..
This season was for me, an incredible ride .. watching these folks progress and develop over the months has been a great journey .. and I believe this has been the best season so far .. as corny as it sounds, I developed a connection (at least as much as you can with a TV show) .. to many of the contestants and even more so with the mentors .. it has been great to see the show mature and I'm hoping Shakira and Usher keep the good vibe going ..
The final sing off and the finale .. ?? I can't really fault St Nick, Terry or Cass .. they all did a good job and America has spoken .. I hoped St Nick would win, but I knew it was a long shot .. good luck to all of them in their future career .. if CeeLo stays true to form, Nick will have a good shot at some degree of commercial sucess ..
Highlights last night .. man, oh man, where to begin .. ?? the funny clips on CeeLo were great .. the Frampton duet with Terry was excellent and I'll bet Terry was simply in awe to do it .. Nicks selection of the two Fire themed songs was not his best of the season, but I have to agree with what was said .. he just decided to let it all go and do something that he wanted to do .. I'm sure Nick felt at this point the win was out of reach .. he should have figured out a way to change tempo and slip "Light My Fire" in there somewhere .. wink.gif
Myself, I'll miss CeeLo and even Xtina next season, but, I'll bet we have a guest appearance of them ..
I don't want to sound like I'm gushing too much here, but I like the show and it has restored some of my drive as a guitarist and vocalist .. which is pretty rare at my age ..

I agree. The show really was at its best this season. I think taking some of the voting out of the coaches hands (earlier in the show) and putting it in America's hands was a great contribution to the success of this season. I too wanted to see Nick do better, however the song choices for him were to really strong. Also, if Nick would had won, I can totally understand/see that his looks would have made him hard to market. I have not been a big Cassidy supporter, but I truly hope she is able to find success outside of this show. She is incredibly easy on the eyes and should be easy to market to all age groups. See you all next season.
post #467 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Here you go!

Wow, the boards are full of such witty, funny people.
post #468 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It was a great thread and a great season, MGK. I agree about the connection. The only singer I never really felt a connection to was Trevin. I just don't like that kind of singing, and he always seemed to fail whenever he veered off the path of the one type of music he's good at. Cassadee appealed to me from the start, but that was mostly her amazing legs. The way she and Blake expertly weaved in and out of country and rock is why she won. Not to mention they also chose some great songs to sing, which proved itself with her iTunes success. So many #1 songs for her. I would have preferred Melanie in the final instead of Terry, but that's a minor gripe. I also think Michaela went home too soon, but I recognize I'm probably in the minority there. Amanda also left too soon. I thought she was better than Terry and Nick. She kinda felt disengaged sometimes though, which may have hurt her.

I loved the promo for season 4. Great song. biggrin.gif

BTW, Cassadee's compilation collection is already top 10 on the iTunes album chart. Congrats to her.
post #469 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Well said from one old music lover to another. smile.gif
post #470 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The finale was The Voice's highest rated episode yet:
Quote:
The two-hour live closer delivered 14 million viewers and a 4.9 rating among adults 18-49, making it the most-watched and highest-rated Voice finale yet — and that includes last spring’s edition, which received a significant initial boost premiering out of the Super Bowl.

Between it and Sunday Night Football, NBC dominated the Fall season, easily dusting both FOX and the ineptly produced X Factor, which many assumed would trounce The Voice after the addition of Britney Spears. Instead The Voice saw it's ratings shoot higher and X Factor saw it's numbers plummet. Good to see America does have some taste sometimes.
post #471 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Quote:

What is talent except popular opinion? Singing like a wounded animal could be talent if that's what everyone else prefers. No different then the populous deciding being" well dressed" is a wearing a suit and not a ripped T-shirt. Itunes is a smart business way of figuring it out. Even better than using positive vote spamming because the itune audience pays for music.

So those with the most money get to decide? And those that don't use iTunes? If you want to judge the best voice, use a panel of voice judges. If you want to select the most popular singer, the one most likely to get votes from the "texters" of the population, then just do so - but don't claim the winner was necessarily the best.
post #472 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As I and others have mentioned several times on the thread, Cass was the most commercially viable / marketable vocalist .. the iTunes voting mechanism is clearly designed to give advantage to the most commercially viable candidate .. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that .. one of the only ways to actually choose by voice alone would be to make the contestant perform behind a screen throughout the entire season .. only revealing what they looked like after the winner was chosen ..

We live in a time where looks can be as important as talent .. and it's all about the Benjamins anyway .. myself, I was very happy to see Nick get as far as he did .. because that in and of itself was certainly not based on looks ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #473 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

What we like in regards to music, books, movies etc is subjective. The success of Cassadee is not subjective. She's objectively the best of the singers they had this season. There's no debate there. She's in heavy rotation on radio stations across the country and is the only singer to consistently hit #1 on iTunes. Subjectively you may not find her that good or different, but to deny she's the most popular is just pissing into the wind.
post #474 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

What we like in regards to music, books, movies etc is subjective. The success of Cassadee is not subjective. She's objectively the best of the singers they had this season. There's no debate there. She's in heavy rotation on radio stations across the country and is the only singer to consistently hit #1 on iTunes. Subjectively you may not find her that good or different, but to deny she's the most popular is just pissing into the wind.

I'm pretty sure that was my point .. out of the final three, there should no debate as to who was the most commercially viable .. even though I myself would buy Nicks music over Cass (and have) .. I know that means little to nothing in the realm of the music business .. because it is a business ..

Uncle Willie

post #475 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that was my point .. out of the final three, there should no debate as to who was the most commercially viable .. even though I myself would buy Nicks music over Cass (and have) .. I know that means little to nothing in the realm of the music business .. because it is a business ..

Yep, I often have very little interest in what's popular. Nick was far more interesting than Cassadee to me, but I enjoyed her performance of Blake's song the most. Melanie actually ended up being far more interesting to me than any of the others. Just no denying the popularity of Cass. I hear Over You on XM/Sirius quite a bit. The duet with Frampton last night kinda illustrated for me how sorta weak Terry's voice can be. Either that or Peter's voice is just much better. Either way, great show last night.
post #476 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Yep, I often have very little interest in what's popular. Nick was far more interesting than Cassadee to me, but I enjoyed her performance of Blake's song the most. Melanie actually ended up being far more interesting to me than any of the others. Just no denying the popularity of Cass. I hear Over You on XM/Sirius quite a bit. The duet with Frampton last night kinda illustrated for me how sorta weak Terry's voice can be. Either that or Peter's voice is just much better. Either way, great show last night.

I've made it plain that I don't really understand how Terry lasted as long as he did .. and when he sang with Frampton, I'm thinking, shut up Terry .. I still say Terry has no career doing what he does unless he's happy with the bar band / cover band life .. and that's not got much longevity to it as you get older .. Women I've asked about Terry have all said they do not find him very attractive .. so what gives .. ?? Who knows ..

Anyone think his Dad kinda looks like Anthony Hopkins .. ??

Melanie grew on me, for some odd resaon ..

Uncle Willie

post #477 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Guess its good it was a top 3 final or Blake would have done a victory lap last week.

What's the betting that the producers read the tea leaves, saw the weekly results, knew they would have only one coach's contestants in a two person final, and changed the rules to get more ballyhoo and fake competition in the show? Actually though, I liked the three final as the two at the top I found boooring.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #478 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

What's the betting that the producers read the tea leaves, saw the weekly results, knew they would have only one coach's contestants in a two person final, and changed the rules to get more ballyhoo and fake competition in the show? Actually though, I liked the three final as the two at the top I found boooring.

If so, it's fine with me .. got Nick another week and at least another chance .. and I can't blame the producers for milking the show .. I'd do the same thing ..

Uncle Willie

post #479 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

It gave Nick another week to perform which is fine by me. He added some fun the other night. It's funny that my DVR said top 2 would be performing. They definitely changed it for a reason.
post #480 of 489 Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have no problem with Cass winning because as I said she truly did have the best voice, but I honestly take issue with Terry finishing higher than Nick.

Do people actually listen to the songs or is it purely a popularity contest? Terry flat out sucked and was out of tune on almost every song he performed. And enough with the praise of him hitting high notes. He couldn't even do that well. Case in point was when he butchered the Boston song.

Like I said numerous times before, Amanda was a far better rocker than Terry could even dream of being.

Anyway, congrats to Cassadee. Of the three she deserved it the most.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page