Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 489 Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 609
http://tasteofcountry.com/when-does-the-voice-season-3-start/

http://www.wetpaint.com/the-voice/articles/major-changes-for-the-voice-season-3-according-to-host-carson-daly

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 489 Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51

The potential saving of a booted artist is intriguing, especially after they used the Shield Brothers vs Erin Martin example in that article. Unfortunately though, I can see this working in the opposite as someone who sucks is picked up by another coach "just because they can."
post #3 of 489 Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

The potential saving of a booted artist is intriguing, especially after they used the Shield Brothers vs Erin Martin example in that article. Unfortunately though, I can see this working in the opposite as someone who sucks is picked up by another coach "just because they can."

I agree it could cut both ways .. but I am glad to see some fresh ideas ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4 of 489 Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anything that makes the battle rounds more interesting is a good thing. This is pretty much the only singing show that I still look forward to watching.
post #5 of 489 Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Anything that makes the battle rounds more interesting is a good thing. This is pretty much the only singing show that I still look forward to watching.

Amen to that, bro .. cool.gif

Uncle Willie

post #6 of 489 Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The Voice Executive Producer, Mark Burnett has announced more changes for the new season.

For Season 3, when one coach eliminates an artist in the Battle Round, another coach can buzz in and “steal” them. Coaches are allowed to steal two each then leave the Battle Rounds with 10 contestants each.

There will be a new “Knockout” round that brings the number of contestants down to 5.
Quote:
Then, the show will move into the knockout round. Each team will have 10 members at the beginning. The contestants will choose their own song to perform. On the day of the show, they’ll find out who they are paired up against, which is up to their coach. One of the contestants will then sit in the corner of the stage and watch as the other performs. The coaches will then cut their teams down to five members for the live shows.

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/the-voice-season-3-mark-burnett-reveals-format-changes.htm

I don't think that doubling down on Battle rounds is what this show needs.
post #7 of 489 Old 08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That knockdown part should be live, and America should be deciding who goes. How do they mess something so simple up so consistently?
post #8 of 489 Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm going to with hold any thoughts on the knockdown thing until I see it in action .. I'll give credit to the creative team for at least trying some new twists ..

Uncle Willie

post #9 of 489 Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rolling Stone Piece

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/14/showbiz/tv/voice-coaches-new-season-rs/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Uncle Willie

post #10 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177

Since I now use a four tuner DVR (WMC) I'll be recording all of the episodes this season. Last night it sure looked like they increased the back stories so much so it was difficult to tell the show has any singing. :) They also appeared to make an effort to be warm and fuzzy with the rejected contestants. Overall the same show and as the two hours (an hour or so after bypassing commercials) skipped by I once again found myself bored. For some it's a plus but I don't enjoy the judges (all that much) and they spend so much time with them the entire process feels like a repeat after a few contestants. The endless pick me chatter...

post #11 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Great first episode to start the season with. Best audition phase of any of these singing/dancing competitions. Hopefully the changes to the battlerounds can liven what's always been the weakest part of the show up. The stark difference in quality is going to be apparent tomorrow night when Simon and his team return with their overproduced mean-fest.
post #12 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A great start IMO .. I've posted on a few other threads that we're running out of talent but after last nights show, I think I was wrong .. some excellent auditions ..

The backstory and panel banter has always been part of the show ..

I was really, really hoping for a XTina wardrobe malfunction .. she's looking really good this season ..

Since I'm not going to waste any time with X-Factor this season, I'll rely on some of you to post a comparison ..

Uncle Willie

post #13 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

A great start IMO .. I've posted on a few other threads that we're running out of talent but after last nights show, I think I was wrong .. some excellent auditions ..
The backstory and panel banter has always been part of the show ..
I was really, really hoping for a XTina wardrobe malfunction .. she's looking really good this season ..
Since I'm not going to waste any time with X-Factor this season, I'll rely on some of you to post a comparison ..

Yeah, absolutely nothing has changed about the banter, backstories, or the kindness they attempt to show people they didn't turn around for. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Some really amazing, young singers last night. I thought the girl that sang Xtina's song looked incredible, but her moves on stage were hilariously awful. I can't wait to see more of her. I'll keep you posted on X Factor. I have high hopes they'll fix the multitude of problems last season had, but if the promos are any indicator, all they did was make them worse. So much hate and ugliness in those promos.
post #14 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, absolutely nothing has changed about the banter, backstories, or the kindness they attempt to show people they didn't turn around for. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Some really amazing, young singers last night. I thought the girl that sang Xtina's song looked incredible, but her moves on stage were hilariously awful. I can't wait to see more of her. I'll keep you posted on X Factor. I have high hopes they'll fix the multitude of problems last season had, but if the promos are any indicator, all they did was make them worse. So much hate and ugliness in those promos.

The promos seem to be pushing the meaness .. I'm sure that won't be all the show has to offer, but when it's playing on that aspect to attract viewers, it's degenerating into the lowest common denominator, IMO .. reality TV based on fabricated controversy ..

Keep me posted ..

Uncle Willie

post #15 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The promos seem to be pushing the meaness .. I'm sure that won't be all the show has to offer, but when it's playing on that aspect to attract viewers, it's degenerating into the lowest common denominator, IMO .. reality TV based on fabricated controversy ..
Keep me posted ..

Last season had more to offer than the meanness. But it's what they focused. It's pretty much all they focused on. It's too bad, because Simon used to be a good judge on Idol. On his own show, he's one of the absolute worst "judges" that any of these shows have to offer. I still can't stop laughing when he said "You're literally the best band in the world right now" to the black group that was clearly lipsynching, who he then voted off the next week. So funny.
post #16 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Last season had more to offer than the meanness. But it's what they focused. It's pretty much all they focused on. It's too bad, because Simon used to be a good judge on Idol. On his own show, he's one of the absolute worst "judges" that any of these shows have to offer. I still can't stop laughing when he said "You're literally the best band in the world right now" to the black group that was clearly lipsynching, who he then voted off the next week. So funny.

I just could not take last season .. not to say that there were not a few good singers, but the panel just made me want to throw something at the TV .. I remember Paula spewing out a Pepsi that looked so contrived and fake ..

Uncle Willie

post #17 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's not broken, don't fix it

Based on last night's ratings it appears to be some what ratings broken. :) Down 39% from last year's Monday's first airing (not the post Super Bowl show). It even lost to the later airings which dropped throughout the season. Who wins the ratings war this year of the Big Three?

post #18 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Based on last night's ratings it appears to be some what ratings broken. smile.gif Down 39% from last year's Monday's first airing (not the post Super Bowl show). It even lost to the later airings which dropped throughout the season. Who wins the ratings war this year of the Big Three?

Up against two MNF games. Wasn't up against anything the last two times. I'm not concerned with their ratings. Just their quality, and that clearly hasn't dipped. I doubt NBC is mad that they easily won the night amongst 17-49 year olds.
post #19 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Who wins the ratings war this year of the Big Three?

I could care less .. I don't watch shows because of a rating, and, frankly, if someone could explain to me why that seems to be one of the favorite posts of some on AVS, maybe I could better understand why they post it ..
Charles R likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #20 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could care less .. I don't watch shows because of a rating, and, frankly, if someone could explain to me why that seems to be one of the favorite posts of some on AVS, maybe I could better understand why they post it ..

I don't get it either. Britney Spears is going to bring huge ratings at first. If she's as awful as the promos would indicate and the show is the same wreck that it was last season, the ratings will dissolve. I must have missed it, but have they announced hosts for it yet?
post #21 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't get it either. Britney Spears is going to bring huge ratings at first. If she's as awful as the promos would indicate and the show is the same wreck that it was last season, the ratings will dissolve. I must have missed it, but have they announced hosts for it yet?

If ratings go thru the roof, I'll still not watch it ..

I don't think hosts have been announced .. I believe it's supposed to be 2 hosts, a male and a female ..

Uncle Willie

post #22 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm guessing you meant couldn't care less. I find it interesting on a variety of levels. To a large degree (if not entirely) it defines what the show will become. With such a drop in ratings (if they continue the rest of the season) the show will certainly evolve. Just like the tweaking of this year's format. Tracking the ratings to a degree lets us know how fast and how dramatic these changes will be. Might even provide a clue as to what they will be based on their results. It's sort of not hiding one's head in the sand. :)

My guess is they are finding out it's enjoyable for an hour (tops) a week... if they want to keep it on the air for longer (each week) they will have a lot of tweaking to do. That is to maintain ratings close to previous seasons.

post #23 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R 
Based on last night's ratings it appears to be some what ratings broken. smile.gif Down 39% from last year's Monday's first airing (not the post Super Bowl show). It even lost to the later airings which dropped throughout the season.

The show never aired against football last season, and the season premier of MNF is always a huge event. The Voice had audience numbers that grew as the 2 hours progressed (1/2hr tv ratings - A18-49 breakdown: 3.2, 3.9, 4.6, 4.7), as well as having nearly double the total audience viewers of any other non-sports show last night. More importantly, this is NBC, where a 2.0 primetime show is considered above average. What else are they going to run that will pull 12 million viewers? They sold a lot of commercials on a monday, made money, and are smiling.
post #24 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

More importantly, this is NBC, where a 2.0 primetime show is considered above average. What else are they going to run that will pull 12 million viewers?

I disagree. Rightfully or wrongly it will be compared against the other singing competition. If it doesn't do as well (or better) it will be taken apart and put back together until it does... More like measuring your clean-up hitter or closer in baseball. You don't compare them to the rest of the line-up... rather the other teams' players.

post #25 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm guessing you meant couldn't care less. I find it interesting on a variety of levels. To a large degree (if not entirely) it defines what the show will become. With such a drop in ratings (if they continue the rest of the season) the show will certainly evolve. Just like the tweaking of this year's format. Tracking the ratings to a degree lets us know how fast and how dramatic these changes will be. Might even provide a clue as to what they will be based on their results. It's sort of not hiding one's head in the sand. smile.gif

My guess is they are finding out it's enjoyable for an hour (tops) a week... if they want to keep it on the air for longer (each week) they will have a lot of tweaking to do. That is to maintain ratings close to previous seasons.

Like I said, I could care less .. so there is no need to guess about what I meant .. I also don't care what ratings may do to a shows future ..

I have no input into what a rating may or may not be, so I have no ability to sway what they may be .. thus, why worry .. ?? If the show becomes uninteresting to me, I won't watch, simple as that .. I don't believe people watch a show based on how it's rated ..

So, I'll ask again .. if someone could explain to me why that seems to be one of the favorite posts of some on AVS, maybe I could better understand why they post it ..

Uncle Willie

post #26 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R 
I disagree. Rightfully or wrongly it will be compared against the other singing competition. If it doesn't do as well (or better) it will be taken apart and put back together until it does... More like measuring your clean-up hitter or closer in baseball. You don't compare them to the rest of the line-up... rather the other teams' players.

What??? The goal of any commercial business is to make money, bottom line. NBC is the worst network, you think they are disappointed with success? Maybe it will never be American Idol, but it is still the #1 show that NBC has to offer.

Look, it is quite evident from your posts that you hate The Voice and want it to fail. To continue to post in this thread - completely blind to the facts (it was the #1 non-sports show on tv last night, by a long shot) can only be described as trolling.
post #27 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Look, it is quite evident from your posts that you hate The Voice and want it to fail. To continue to post in this thread - completely blind to the facts (it was the #1 non-sports show on tv last night, by a long shot) can only be described as trolling.

If you call this hatred so be it... Overall the same show and as the two hours (an hour or so after bypassing commercials) skipped by I once again found myself bored. Personally, I find more hatred in those with the rose colored glasses. Such as covering any point or topic that doesn't interest them is hatred.

post #28 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you call this hatred so be it... Overall the same show and as the two hours (an hour or so after bypassing commercials) skipped by I once again found myself bored. Personally, I find more hatred in those with the rose colored glasses. Such as covering any point or topic that doesn't interest them is hatred.

Shedrock makes a valid point .. IOW, ratings are relative .. and in my opinion, as a viewer and fan, meaningless .. if you find them to have meaning and interest, then so be it .. it just appears to be a backdoor way to bash the show ..

Uncle Willie

post #29 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Voice is the current high standard that the other two shows are attempting to match. Thus the hiring of Britney and Mariah. Whether or not they'll have the amazing chemistry that the judges have on The Voice remains to be seen.
post #30 of 489 Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Voice is the current high standard that the other two shows are attempting to match. Thus the hiring of Britney and Mariah. Whether or not they'll have the amazing chemistry that the judges have on The Voice remains to be seen.

It's funny you should mention that .. last night, I found myself thinking "The honchos at NBC either got extremely lucky or the search for the best panel did an incredibly good job" .. the chance of lightning hitting twice would be rare ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page