Directv vs AT&T Uverse quality wise? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 388 Old 04-08-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post


They triple channel everything, even on modern 860mhz systems.

No, they don't - on my system for example, Comcast only puts 2 of the heavily watched channels per QAM. ESPN family, for example, and all the main broadcast channels. I can see this with my HD Homerun Prime channel scan.

Please stop making blanket assertions as if you know exactly what is going on for everyone. You're doing the same thing over at TCF and it really takes your cred way down.
slowbiscuit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 388 Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

BiggAW, just like the Verizon forum, at this point I am going to point out the title of the thread. And YES it does matter with FiOS, due to they have the same limitations with their service as other CATV service providers. You really are clueless, when it comes to this stuff, but I guess we all cannot be as smart as* as you are, along with big headed.

Now we all know why you choose Bigg as the first part, along with A for Argumentative, and W for WiseA**.

You don't know what you're talking about. Verizon DOES NOT have VOD, Internet, or phone on their cable system. Their cable system is the same size (860mhz) as many cable systems that have to put VOD, internet, and phone in that 860mhz. Thus, simple logic would tell us that Verizon has more capacity than cable companies. What is so hard to understand about that?
BiggAW is offline  
post #273 of 388 Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
BiggAW, What does FiOS stand for? Now go sit in your corner, and do not come out, until we tell you to do so. Just to give you a little insight how their system works http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS With only 32 (RX & TX count as one channel per sub) channels per Passive Optical Splitter, again, Verizon is limiting their service as I stated before to their sub's. Unless they change the delivery to a IPTV or SDV type delivery, which also means changing out millions of boxes, due to the only thing that currently is IPTV on CATV & FiOS is the App's if there are any, and OnDemand. Everything else, eats up Qam channels.

At 2 to 4 HD streams, max of 6, and with up to 12 to 16 SD channels, there is only so much they can push through the system, since they are pushing all channels downstream to all customers at the same time. Unlike UVerse, where the IPTV service only sends out a channel stream, when a customer tunes their IP STB or DVR to that channel, and in turn the VHO sends down the IP address for that channel to the box. If multiple customers on the VRad are watching say NBC, the VHO will only send one stream for NBC to the VRad, and then the VRad will send the signal to the boxes tuned to NBC. In turn you are not choking the system, because you are not sending multiple streams of all channels regardless if they are being watched or not.
gregzoll is offline  
post #274 of 388 Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

BiggAW, What does FiOS stand for? Now go sit in your corner, and do not come out, until we tell you to do so. Just to give you a little insight how their system works http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS With only 32 (RX & TX count as one channel per sub) channels per Passive Optical Splitter, again, Verizon is limiting their service as I stated before to their sub's. Unless they change the delivery to a IPTV or SDV type delivery, which also means changing out millions of boxes, due to the only thing that currently is IPTV on CATV & FiOS is the App's if there are any, and OnDemand. Everything else, eats up Qam channels.

At 2 to 4 HD streams, max of 6, and with up to 12 to 16 SD channels, there is only so much they can push through the system, since they are pushing all channels downstream to all customers at the same time. Unlike UVerse, where the IPTV service only sends out a channel stream, when a customer tunes their IP STB or DVR to that channel, and in turn the VHO sends down the IP address for that channel to the box. If multiple customers on the VRad are watching say NBC, the VHO will only send one stream for NBC to the VRad, and then the VRad will send the signal to the boxes tuned to NBC. In turn you are not choking the system, because you are not sending multiple streams of all channels regardless if they are being watched or not.

I find it entertaining that you're arguing with me when you are flat out wrong.

You are now just stating random facts about FIOS, and not addressing what you were saying before, which is wrong.

The point we are arguing here is not whether FIOS has a capacity limit (IT DOES), but whether it has a higher limit than cable. It does have a higher limit than cable, because it has the same 860mhz system, but ZERO internet, VOD, or phone service in that 860mhz, only linear channels.

I know how FIOS and U-Verse work. U-Verse's limited bandwidth to the home is why it can only handle 4 HD's at once, and why the picture quality is so atrocious, but also why it can offer a lineup of nearly unlimited size of horribly over-compressed channels.

Verizon's QAM system has limits, but with MPEG-4, the limits are likely larger than the number of HD channels Verizon can buy to put on it. With 810mhz of usable bandwidth, from 50-860mhz, you get 135 channels. At 5 HD's per channel, and say 10 MPEG-2 SD's per channel, you can take 300 SD's, and still have 105 channels left for HD's, which is 525 HD's. I don't think there are 525 HD's. Even with MPEG-2, they have a metric assload of bandwidth for HD's.

FIOS is also unique in that they have the capability to switch to all IPTV, and in fact much of the existing hardware would still work in an all-IP world, of course not CableCard boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

No, they don't - on my system for example, Comcast only puts 2 of the heavily watched channels per QAM. ESPN family, for example, and all the main broadcast channels. I can see this with my HD Homerun Prime channel scan.

Please stop making blanket assertions as if you know exactly what is going on for everyone. You're doing the same thing over at TCF and it really takes your cred way down.

I missed this post yesterday. I guess I should have been more clear. They triple channel everything they can. Theoretically, they should be passing OTA signals on straight through with each OTA channel and all its sub-channels in half a QAM, I'm not sure if they are. And a couple of channels, like ESPN and HBO mandate bitrates that you can't get through triple-channeling. They are now, however, giving them a full half-QAM, they're probably doing 2 HD's and a couple SD's, so that it's like a 40/40/20 split, with 20 being SDs, instead of a 33/33/33 dynamically encoded split.
BiggAW is offline  
post #275 of 388 Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I find it funny that you cannot find the point, even if there was a laser pointer aiming directly at it.

Just to let you know, UVerse does not have limited bandwidth as you think, because it was built for expansion. What you think is limitation, is you hearing all of the noise that those like you who are uninformed how the whole system works together for the three systems that the send down to the customer. Also it appears that even if someone tries to educate you on the fact that ATT is playing with "Phantom" pairing, which will expand their system capabilities for not only Internet, but TV to the customer, but hey, you are smarter than all of us.

So again, Look up, because that is the point, from the laser pointer aiming at it.
gregzoll is offline  
post #276 of 388 Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would help if you guys could back up your statements with 3rd party references. Otherwise it's "he said she said"
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #277 of 388 Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
PlanetAVS, the info is out there, but you have to actually look for it, which I am finding that the OP is not doing a bit, other than just stating third hand FUD for a lot of the info that they throw out there, regarding not only CATV systems, but FiOS & especially Uverse, which seems to have become the Red headed step child of the industry.

Only reason I can see that people bash ATT's UVerse system, is because you have the same ones that continue to put down the FUD that spread about Vista, that was not from those within the industry, but those who never even touched the software, but made up these outrageous statements that it was so bad of a OS, that it could go and steal your child if you do not watch out. It is becoming like that with UVerse.

As for the info for UVerse, I myself went out and the info that is out there is from those that either got it through working in the ATT labs and are able to release the info to the public, or the fact that IPTV is a system used by not only ATT, but also Bell Canada and other systems that have adopted it, to compete against Verizon & Coax based systems like Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, etc., so that you would not have the monopoly that there had been in those market areas that were there for so long.

But going back on topic, yes those like BiggAW need to actually start researching info if they are going to come into a knife fight with a stick to poke the Hornet's nest. I can truthfully state that I do not know everything, but I do take the time again to go out and look stuff up, and have found some things out, that even though I looked the info up first before posting, but then found out after it was incorrect or not complete info that I found, when I did my research. I will bow out and then let the topic go from there, but some also tend to delve on the negative just because those like me may have posted something without realizing that it was not all correct, but posting the info that I found, and then in turn just get brutally attacked by what I am find out, are just "trench" workers, or still green employees in the engineering department.

Those who do have the long term history in the industries, will not attack those who post what I would say is incorrect, but they will help fill in the holes, so that not only I can see where I found incorrect info and posted, but to help others learn about the discussion, not make it into a attack.
gregzoll is offline  
post #278 of 388 Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So really to sum things up, if BiggAW would just go out and not only look the info up that I have even taken the time to research and post links, but take a step back and quit what some of us have found up, just purely made up nonsensically statements about not only the CATV industry, but also ATT's ADSL2+/VDSL2+ systems, they just seem to want to keep coming back for more with that stick in a knife fight.
gregzoll is offline  
post #279 of 388 Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Of course, Phantom Grouping has been used for years in the telephone industry, not just for data. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_circuit It was created for long distance line pairs, by Bell Labs back in the late 30's, for mainly audio broadcasts for believe it or not, Baseball games, but also for radio broadcasts from the Whitehouse. http://long-lines.net/sources/att_principles_ocr.pdf I think I remember my dad having this exact book in the PDF that I linked, in his library. I wished that I had held on to alot of the old Western Electric books that he had at the house, before he had a chance to toss them.

Oh, forgot this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_circuit Lets see what the OP comes back with. More http://arstechnica.com/business/2006/03/iptv/2/ From 2008 regarding that Verizon has no inclination to switch to IPTV http://www.fierceiptv.com/story/spotlight-verizon-no-rush-change-rf-iptv/2008-05-20 Another http://www.lightreading.com/cable/at-age-2-verizon-fios-evolves/240091550

Comcast has been playing with IPTV for going now on 3 years, with Xcalibur still in a testing phase, and only in limited markets, but not a IPTV solution like UVerse, and will never go with the same type of delivery method as ATT does, since it is only being used to serve up App's and combine a tablet interface into the guide as a way to allow people to use their Set Top & DVR's as a alternative of having a third party device to serve up the content that Comcast does with Excalibur.

Now of course, DirecTV & Dish have had IPTV type apps out to their consumers going on over five years now, which is faster than what the land based Pay to watch tv services like Comcast have done. Comcast's theory along with the others like Charter, Shaw, TWC, is sit on it and keep dangling the Carrot in front of the consumer until they get tired and move on to another provider. If you ever want to say that a company shoots itself in the foot, look at Comcast.

My father was the reason why I got into telephone communications & navigation equipment in the Navy. Hated the old Analog stuff for navigation & telephone, but it is the best way to cut your teeth, if you are going to learn how this stuff works. Even our tv studio on board our ship, which our department ran, it was all analog equipment up until 1987, when they upgraded it to digital gear at that time, for in the studio.
gregzoll is offline  
post #280 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bonscott87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilds of West Michigan
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post


WHAT? They're not running DOCSIS at all?

 

Dunno, I don't live in that town but know a couple people that do.  Just until 5 years ago or so it was still an analog system with about 40 channels total.  They are finally digital (mostly) but have very few HD channels still.  And no high speed Internet.  Most people in that area get DSL or use satellite for Internet.


Scott
bonscott87 is offline  
post #281 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
bonscott, if you have a digital system, or even had analog channels, but digital dvr's and digital set top boxes, your system would be using docsis to tell the modem in the dvr or stb what to do, etc.
gregzoll is offline  
post #282 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

bonscott, if you have a digital system, or even had analog channels, but digital dvr's and digital set top boxes, your system would be using docsis to tell the modem in the dvr or stb what to do, etc.

Older legacy set tops( more than 2-years) do not have Docsis modems in them.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is online now  
post #283 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

bonscott, if you have a digital system, or even had analog channels, but digital dvr's and digital set top boxes, your system would be using docsis to tell the modem in the dvr or stb what to do, etc.

Older legacy set tops( more than 2-years) do not have Docsis modems in them.
Actally they do. Docsis has been they delivery method of verifying the boxes with the headend, along with delivering content to the consumer on the boxes for over 12 years.

Some light reading for you, from 2001 http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2000/11/2001%3A-the-dawning-of-the-docsis-delivery-platform%3F
gregzoll is offline  
post #284 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I find it funny that you cannot find the point, even if there was a laser pointer aiming directly at it.

Just to let you know, UVerse does not have limited bandwidth as you think, because it was built for expansion. What you think is limitation, is you hearing all of the noise that those like you who are uninformed how the whole system works together for the three systems that the send down to the customer. Also it appears that even if someone tries to educate you on the fact that ATT is playing with "Phantom" pairing, which will expand their system capabilities for not only Internet, but TV to the customer, but hey, you are smarter than all of us.

So again, Look up, because that is the point, from the laser pointer aiming at it.

Built for expansion? HAHAHAHA. You can only pair bond for so long before you run out of pairs. And that's already starting to happen. Yes, theoretically, you could bond 4 or 8 or more pairs, but you need pairs to actually bond with, and that makes a kludgy system even more kludgy, and even more inconsistent as to who can get what services at what speeds and how many HD streams. "Phantom pairing" LOL. Maybe by the time they roll that out in 2020, they will be able to get another 10mbps of bandwidth out of U-Verse to bring it from 30 to 40, while Comcast will be rocking DOCSIS 3.1 with OFDMA and they'll be cranking 200+mbps of just internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

PlanetAVS, the info is out there, but you have to actually look for it, which I am finding that the OP is not doing a bit, other than just stating third hand FUD for a lot of the info that they throw out there, regarding not only CATV systems, but FiOS & especially Uverse, which seems to have become the Red headed step child of the industry.

Only reason I can see that people bash ATT's UVerse system, is because you have the same ones that continue to put down the FUD that spread about Vista, that was not from those within the industry, but those who never even touched the software, but made up these outrageous statements that it was so bad of a OS, that it could go and steal your child if you do not watch out. It is becoming like that with UVerse.

As for the info for UVerse, I myself went out and the info that is out there is from those that either got it through working in the ATT labs and are able to release the info to the public, or the fact that IPTV is a system used by not only ATT, but also Bell Canada and other systems that have adopted it, to compete against Verizon & Coax based systems like Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, etc., so that you would not have the monopoly that there had been in those market areas that were there for so long.

But going back on topic, yes those like BiggAW need to actually start researching info if they are going to come into a knife fight with a stick to poke the Hornet's nest. I can truthfully state that I do not know everything, but I do take the time again to go out and look stuff up, and have found some things out, that even though I looked the info up first before posting, but then found out after it was incorrect or not complete info that I found, when I did my research. I will bow out and then let the topic go from there, but some also tend to delve on the negative just because those like me may have posted something without realizing that it was not all correct, but posting the info that I found, and then in turn just get brutally attacked by what I am find out, are just "trench" workers, or still green employees in the engineering department.

Those who do have the long term history in the industries, will not attack those who post what I would say is incorrect, but they will help fill in the holes, so that not only I can see where I found incorrect info and posted, but to help others learn about the discussion, not make it into a attack.

U-Verse and cable is the same as a monopoly. Not only is U-Verse not available to random parts of any given area, but it doesn't really compete with cable. It just sucks.

AT&T is running into the limits of copper infrastructure. No amount of research or experience can overcome physical reality. The path to more bandwidth is GPON FTTH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

So really to sum things up, if BiggAW would just go out and not only look the info up that I have even taken the time to research and post links, but take a step back and quit what some of us have found up, just purely made up nonsensically statements about not only the CATV industry, but also ATT's ADSL2+/VDSL2+ systems, they just seem to want to keep coming back for more with that stick in a knife fight.

I know plenty about U-Verse and why it sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Of course, Phantom Grouping has been used for years in the telephone industry, not just for data. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_circuit It was created for long distance line pairs, by Bell Labs back in the late 30's, for mainly audio broadcasts for believe it or not, Baseball games, but also for radio broadcasts from the Whitehouse. http://long-lines.net/sources/att_principles_ocr.pdf I think I remember my dad having this exact book in the PDF that I linked, in his library. I wished that I had held on to alot of the old Western Electric books that he had at the house, before he had a chance to toss them.

Oh, forgot this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_circuit Lets see what the OP comes back with. More http://arstechnica.com/business/2006/03/iptv/2/ From 2008 regarding that Verizon has no inclination to switch to IPTV http://www.fierceiptv.com/story/spotlight-verizon-no-rush-change-rf-iptv/2008-05-20 Another http://www.lightreading.com/cable/at-age-2-verizon-fios-evolves/240091550

Comcast has been playing with IPTV for going now on 3 years, with Xcalibur still in a testing phase, and only in limited markets, but not a IPTV solution like UVerse, and will never go with the same type of delivery method as ATT does, since it is only being used to serve up App's and combine a tablet interface into the guide as a way to allow people to use their Set Top & DVR's as a alternative of having a third party device to serve up the content that Comcast does with Excalibur.

Now of course, DirecTV & Dish have had IPTV type apps out to their consumers going on over five years now, which is faster than what the land based Pay to watch tv services like Comcast have done. Comcast's theory along with the others like Charter, Shaw, TWC, is sit on it and keep dangling the Carrot in front of the consumer until they get tired and move on to another provider. If you ever want to say that a company shoots itself in the foot, look at Comcast.

My father was the reason why I got into telephone communications & navigation equipment in the Navy. Hated the old Analog stuff for navigation & telephone, but it is the best way to cut your teeth, if you are going to learn how this stuff works. Even our tv studio on board our ship, which our department ran, it was all analog equipment up until 1987, when they upgraded it to digital gear at that time, for in the studio.

No amount of shoestring and bubble gum is going to make U-Verse grow to meet bandwidth demand. They might be able to eek a little bit more bandwidth out (which they will just use to push it farther out from the VRAD), but they are already hitting the limits of copper. VDSL systems globally tend to use much shorter node-to-customer lengths, to deliver much higher speeds than AT&T can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Dunno, I don't live in that town but know a couple people that do.  Just until 5 years ago or so it was still an analog system with about 40 channels total.  They are finally digital (mostly) but have very few HD channels still.  And no high speed Internet.  Most people in that area get DSL or use satellite for Internet.

I'm still a little skeptical that they have nothing. I mean that's the really low-hanging fruit for increasing ROI without much work.
BiggAW is offline  
post #285 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Keep on trolling BiggAW, because that is what you have made yourself to be. You just do not know when to stop, do you.

I bet you were the same way with your parents. If they did not stop allowiing butt whoopings in schools and at home, maybe it would have taught you a few things.

Because it is obvious you have not got a clue, so maybe you should stop right know and go find another hobby to pursue, like Ethics and learning how to actually be constructive, not criticize everything everyone else tries to explain to you.
BoilerJim likes this.
gregzoll is offline  
post #286 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Keep on trolling BiggAW, because that is what you have made yourself to be. You just do not know when to stop, do you.

I bet you were the same way with your parents. If they did not stop allowiing butt whoopings in schools and at home, maybe it would have taught you a few things.

Because it is obvious you have not got a clue, so maybe you should stop right know and go find another hobby to pursue, like Ethics and learning how to actually be constructive, not criticize everything everyone else tries to explain to you.

I'm not trolling. You keep making crazy statements and putting crazy positions out there, and citing magic technology that is somehow going to fix AT&T's U-Verse woes, the rest of us are grounded in reality, and know that AT&T is screwed in the long run. Or rather, screwed themselves. They could have had millions of homes connected to fiber by now.
BiggAW is offline  
post #287 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actally they do. Docsis has been they delivery method of verifying the boxes with the headend, along with delivering content to the consumer on the boxes for over 12 years.

Some light reading for you, from 2001 http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2000/11/2001%3A-the-dawning-of-the-docsis-delivery-platform%3F

Completely 100% Wrong. The delivery method was always a Big QAM which is a dedicated 256 QAM to carry data not Docsis. Example still to do this day the system I worked on in Charlotte had two Big QAM's one for ODN and the other MDN. Docsis has been around for a while but not in set top boxes. Box manufactures only started to do this in the past two years. The FDC and RDC are used for ranging return and loading EMM's from a boot stream to set up the Big QAM for guide and software updates.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is online now  
post #288 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Completely 100% Wrong. The delivery method was always a Big QAM which is a dedicated 256 QAM to carry data not Docsis. Example still to do this day the system I worked on in Charlotte had two Big QAM's one for ODN and the other MDN. Docsis has been around for a while but not in set top boxes. Box manufactures only started to do this in the past two years. The FDC and RDC are used for ranging return and loading EMM's from a boot stream to set up the Big QAM for guide and software updates.

I'm not doubting the use of Big QAM, but boxes have had DOCSIS modems in them for a whole lot longer than 2 years.
BiggAW is offline  
post #289 of 388 Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actally they do. Docsis has been they delivery method of verifying the boxes with the headend, along with delivering content to the consumer on the boxes for over 12 years.

Some light reading for you, from 2001 http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2000/11/2001%3A-the-dawning-of-the-docsis-delivery-platform%3F

Completely 100% Wrong. The delivery method was always a Big QAM which is a dedicated 256 QAM to carry data not Docsis. Example still to do this day the system I worked on in Charlotte had two Big QAM's one for ODN and the other MDN. Docsis has been around for a while but not in set top boxes. Box manufactures only started to do this in the past two years. The FDC and RDC are used for ranging return and loading EMM's from a boot stream to set up the Big QAM for guide and software updates.
You did not read the article which is dating back when the delivery started to become a digital method, from the old Analog boxes, that where the precursor to the Motorola 2600 and SA boxes that brought digital delivery methods (ie OnDemand, On screen guide).

May want to go read it, along with this http://www.jdsu.com/ProductLiterature/Digital_QAM_Signals_Overview_and_Basics_of_Testing.pdf and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qam and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation

BTW, all QAM or Quadrature Amplitude Modulation, which has been around a lot longer than you think. BTW, it is called BigBand Edge QAM, not Big QAM, and QAM may be the delivery method to cut frequencies into channels, but it is Docsis that does the hard work for making sure that the box receive the digital information that is being sent by the Headend.

Just for you YBSane, here is some info on how Docsis delivers the video http://www.cablefax.com/ct/video/Video-over-DOCSIS_32357.html Some more reading for you http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2007/03/cut-to-video and another http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog48/presentations/Sunday/Riddel_VDOC_N48.pdf http://www.cable360.net/ct/video/Video-over-DOCSIS_32357.html
http://www.icciev.com/1/post/2012/10/ciscos-new-docsis-3-0-for-video-over-ip.html
http://blogs.cisco.com/sp/cisco-introduces-the-key-enabler-of-video-over-docsis-vdoc/
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/cable/configuration/guide/VDOC_rsvp_feature_ps2209_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html
gregzoll is offline  
post #290 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Gregzoll, you are very disappointing in your google knowledge base of CATV Systems. I have worked in the industry for 28+ years and have built many Head-Ends and hub sites, please stop posting information you have no first hand knowledge of. I am currently in the FTTH industry and am well respected. If you really think I know nothing than contact my friends in the industry because I am not full of BS like you.!

Kim Lambert @ SCTE
Brady Volpe @ Volpe firm
Mark Johnson @ Calix

And you can you my real name because I don't need a google knowledge base= Robert Cranwell

And if you want to know about Docsis: Brady Volpe is the best in the industry not you..!

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is online now  
post #291 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
And in this corner, wearing purple trunks and an ego as big as all outdoors... smile.gif
BoilerJim is offline  
post #292 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

And in this corner, wearing purple trunks and an ego as big as all outdoors... smile.gif
Thank you for the laugh Jim. Good one.
BoilerJim likes this.
gregzoll is offline  
post #293 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
YBSane, just because you work in the industry, does not mean that you know everything. The links I posted, backs up everything that I stated before, and to correct the info that you miss-stated in your one post right above your remark about working in the catv industry for 28 years. Guessing that the info from the industry giant Cisco & the others that I linked is incorrect, even though they are the ones that create the software & equipment, to allow the infrastructure to run, so that video is delivered to the home.

But hey, keep thinking that you know more than those companies that have been doing this stuff for over 20 years. So from now on, we all bow down to you, because you know more than the likes of Cisco, etc..

BTW, I did a search on the supposed name you state that you go under, and I am guessing that you are a photographer. Yep,that is by far from a industry expert, as you can get.
gregzoll is offline  
post #294 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bonscott87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilds of West Michigan
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

 Not only is U-Verse not available to random parts of any given area, but it doesn't really compete with cable. It just sucks.

 

 

Well, Uverse is a heck of a lot better then Charter around here.  Charter is *horrible* with constant downtime and bad Internet.  Sure their Internet speed is "faster" but when you are lucky to get half of what is advertised and pray that it's not down for half a day because there was a strong breeze overnight, it's really not all that.  :)

 

At least with Uverse the Internet speed (while slower) is rock solid and never goes down.  And honestly, how fast do you really need?  I only have 12 meg down to save money and that's plenty to stream 3 HD streams from Netflix/Hulu at once, play online games and allow tablets/phones to surf the web.  Yea, 60 meg sounds great...but do you really need it unless you download huge files all the time?  ;)

 

Their HD quality isn't as good as DirecTV, but it certainly is as good as Charter, around here anyway.  Perhaps it helps that around here AT&T laid down all new fiber  for the whole infrastructure to the VRADs and in many cases ran new copper down the street.  I know my whole neighborhood had all new copper ran and they ran new copper from the pole to my house and gave me a brand new box on the side of the house as well.  Rock solid.  Very few complaints about Uverse in our area.  But then it's all a comparison.  If you got an excellent cable system it may look like Uverse sucks in comparison.  But when you have crappy Charter or similar cable, it's looks like the promised land.  :D


Scott
bonscott87 is offline  
post #295 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

YBSane, just because you work in the industry, does not mean that you know everything. The links I posted, backs up everything that I stated before, and to correct the info that you miss-stated in your one post right above your remark about working in the catv industry for 28 years. Guessing that the info from the industry giant Cisco & the others that I linked is incorrect, even though they are the ones that create the software & equipment, to allow the infrastructure to run, so that video is delivered to the home.

But hey, keep thinking that you know more than those companies that have been doing this stuff for over 20 years. So from now on, we all bow down to you, because you know more than the likes of Cisco, etc..
BTW, I did a search on the supposed name you state that you go under, and I am guessing that you are a photographer. Yep,that is by far from a industry expert, as you can get.

No, I am not a photographer I am in GPON/ Active-E. This is not about egos either for me it is about disappoint in the AVS Forum of where it used to be and where it is currently. In the past a lot of hobbyist posted questions and concerns about their systems and knowledgeable people on the forum answered their questions with product knowledge and wiring schematics. It has turned into I googled the answer so there for you are wrong..!! And that is what bothers me and others on the AVS Forum. Gregzoll I would give you more respect in how you answer questions to OP's if they more accurate but they are not and that is why I challenge your Google answers.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is online now  
post #296 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It strikes me odd that you are getting defensive, because someone like myself went out and found information through research to counter the information you were staing.

Also, only fools use google as a search engine, since it does not always pull the right info. I take it also that you never even read the information I linked to, because it shows in your post, that I challenged you and not only corrected some of the info you have stated, but have shown proof that the statements you made were not fully correct.

Me, it really does not matter, due to this stuff I do not take to heart, and actually for those that do go out and look up this info as a educational tool, are the ones who learn, not from those like you that want to pull an ego and act like the general public should not know this stuff.
gregzoll is offline  
post #297 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
ybsane, gpon/active-e is a technology. Keep trying buddy.
gregzoll is offline  
post #298 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Administrator
 
Mike Lang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 11,488
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Both of you...let it go & update your block lists.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Mike Lang is offline  
post #299 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Both of you...let it go & update your block lists.
You do know with the new board format, Block user does not work like it did with the old software. There is no sense blocking them, because their posts still show up on the threads, which in turn you can always see what they post.

In order for block to really work, the programmer that creates the BBS software, like how it was done in the old days, was that the blocked user could not see you, you could not see them, they could not see your posts, you could not see their posts, etc.. Now days, with especially this software, they can see you, you can see them, they can see what you posted, same for you can see what they posted.
gregzoll is offline  
post #300 of 388 Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
RonC54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, no intent to throw gasoline on the fire but I ended up with DirecTV based upon what my eyes told me,

My options were Dish, which I had, Time Warner, Uverse or DirecTV.

Visited some nearby homes with Time Warner and Uverse. Both had Plasma 1080P Tvs similar to mine. My Dish picture on CBS coverage of Final Four games was noticeably better than Time Warner. Uverse looked Ok at times and horrible at others, that neighbor said he had reported problems twice to Uverse and still has the issue. The "box" is in the backyard next to his. He is a techie and has his TV set up correctly. Also talked to him last night, he lost internet and phone service (Uverse) for three days. We did have some storm issues last week but he lost service after the storm. Understand all systems have issues but three days? Uverse was out for me. Time Warner was just not competitive on rates and the more channels I observed on neighbor's TV the less I liked it. Left me with Dish and DirecTV and as I posted earlier DirectTV made me a two year deal that beat everyone by a bunch.

Now that I have it, I am very pleased. Again my opinion is based upon my personal experience (my own eyes) not all the technical info. Also did notice during the storm last week I only lost the DirecTV signal for a few seconds, similar storms in the past have knocked DIsh out for five to ten minutes. Ok, maybe not apples to apples on storms but a good first indicator.

I have been following this thread and just wondering if any of the posters are employed by or contractors for A T & T, Dish, DirecTV or cable carriers. Disclosure would help others like me evaluate your positions better.

In any case, thanks for all the posts, I have learned a lot. I have just enough technical background to understand some of the info.
RonC54 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off