post #361 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

No longer true w/the X1 MR-DVR...& you can now record up to 4 shows at once, while still watching a 5th LIVE show. (can't record from the 5th tuner)
Then I was lied to just last week. I personally went into the new, whiz-bang Xfinity/Comcast store a few miles from my house to get a quote on switching from U-Verse to Comcast and the Rep specifically told me that I COULD NOT record from any room in the house even with the new X1 platform. So, I didn't switch and that was the deciding factor. Yes, Xfinity has higher internet speeds, but my main concern is TV ease of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

This is from Comcast's own website and substantiates what the Rep told me, "record from one room, play back anywhere."

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview/
post #363 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you have Tivo and mini's you can record from any TV in the house on Comcast plus you only pay for one outlet.
post #364 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 149
With a substantial upfront cost, of course. Same for rolling your own Cablecard HTPC with extenders.
post #365 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

This is from Comcast's own website and substantiates what the Rep told me, "record from one room, play back anywhere."

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview/

Well your own link confirms what I stated:
Quote:
Both Players and Player Mini’s can schedule and manage the list of upcoming recordings.

So what AM I missing here...OR, are you talking about pausing/recording LIVE TV? In that case, you are correct:
Quote:
The current Player Mini devices do not have any internal storage and therefore do not support pausing Live TV.
post #366 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then I was lied to just last week. I personally went into the new, whiz-bang Xfinity/Comcast store a few miles from my house to get a quote on switching from U-Verse to Comcast and the Rep specifically told me that I COULD NOT record from any room in the house even with the new X1 platform. So, I didn't switch and that was the deciding factor. Yes, Xfinity has higher internet speeds, but my main concern is TV ease of use.

Quote:

Well your own link confirms what I stated:

So what AM I missing here...OR, are you talking about pausing/recording LIVE TV? In that case, you are correct:
Yes, that's what I meant in my original comment (on the previous page) : "U-Verse will still allow you to only record 3 HD shows at once, but unlike Comcast, you can view AND record from any receiver in the house. With Comcast, you can view from any room but MUST record in the room where the DVR is located. So, if the phone rings or someone comes to the door and you aren't near the DVR, you still have to make a choice if you don't want to miss the show you are watching. With U-Verse, just hit the "Record" button."

If you can't pause/record from "live" TV from any box, then the X1 has a limitation that U-Verse doesn't. And, although you can apparently schedule a recording from any X1 box, you still have to watch the recording on that box, another limitation that U-Verse doesn't have. I have four boxes with U-Verse. Calling the DVR Box 1, I can still schedule and record a program (live or otherwise) on Box 1, 2, 3, or 4 and then play it back on ANY of the 4 boxes no matter where they are located. I can also watch any part of a recorded program in one room and then watch the rest (or all of it) in any other room in the house.

That's what a DVR should do.
post #367 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Liked: 79
Quote:

For everyone like BIggAW who hates U-Verse, there are dozens of us who like it. Don't base your choice on one person's comment. My two sons also have/had U-Verse. The one who switched to Comcast/Xfinity did so because of the faster internet speed, but he also said the picture quality on both are a toss-up as to which is better. My other son is perfectly happy with U-Verse as am I.
Hey BoilerJim, don't worry, I won't. I've already had Uverse internet only for about a year. Got rid of it for cable internet. Now, I know many of you Uverse users say "How did you only get a deal with the internet only?" Well, they said I couldn't get phone or TV at my home. I was that far away from the Node.

Boiler, I have enjoyed reading your earlier posts and I do trust that you feel good about your experience. However, when you've had D* and have a large TV (60' or larger, you will notice any change in pq. In our new townhouse in ATL, my Man Cave is smaller, so I'll be even closer to the TV and I am very, very sensitive to pq. When D* switched to MPEG 4 compression, I noticed the improvement.

With my previous experience with Uverse, net only, I was paying for 20mbps, but couldn't get higher than 13mbps. When they said they needed to downgrade me, I dropped them like a brick. Here in ATL, they are offering 45mbps, but I really don't believe it. My PS4 will know instantly. With Crapcast, err... Xfinity, I can get by with the 50mbps offering and know that on WIFI I can count on at least 30mbps, which is enough for me to play games while my wife streams Netflix upstairs while on her iPad too smile.gif

My Uverse deal is good price wise, but I consider myself a power user who is knowledgeable, so I don't mind paying an extra $20-$30 per month since I get a lot of use out of HDTV and internet.
post #368 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

Hey BoilerJim, don't worry, I won't. I've already had Uverse internet only for about a year. Got rid of it for cable internet. Now, I know many of you Uverse users say "How did you only get a deal with the internet only?" Well, they said I couldn't get phone or TV at my home. I was that far away from the Node.

Boiler, I have enjoyed reading your earlier posts and I do trust that you feel good about your experience. However, when you've had D* and have a large TV (60' or larger, you will notice any change in pq. In our new townhouse in ATL, my Man Cave is smaller, so I'll be even closer to the TV and I am very, very sensitive to pq. When D* switched to MPEG 4 compression, I noticed the improvement.

With my previous experience with Uverse, net only, I was paying for 20mbps, but couldn't get higher than 13mbps. When they said they needed to downgrade me, I dropped them like a brick. Here in ATL, they are offering 45mbps, but I really don't believe it. My PS4 will know instantly. With Crapcast, err... Xfinity, I can get by with the 50mbps offering and know that on WIFI I can count on at least 30mbps, which is enough for me to play games while my wife streams Netflix upstairs while on her iPad too smile.gif

My Uverse deal is good price wise, but I consider myself a power user who is knowledgeable, so I don't mind paying an extra $20-$30 per month since I get a lot of use out of HDTV and internet.
Thanks for the kind words. And, if I were in your situation I'd probably do exactly the same thing. I like U-Verse for the price, the number of HD channels, and especially for the DVR since we have four HDTVs. The internet speed is fast enough for my use and I have no complaint about the PQ. I just wish they'd give us back the two Hallmark Channels. Oh, well... smile.gif
post #369 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

For everyone like BIggAW who hates U-Verse, there are dozens of us who like it. Don't base your choice on one person's comment. My two sons also have/had U-Verse. The one who switched to Comcast/Xfinity did so because of the faster internet speed, but he also said the picture quality on both are a toss-up as to which is better. My other son is perfectly happy with U-Verse as am I.

I've seen U-Verse running live at the AT&T store, and it's HORRIBLE. It's hilarious that they put it right next to the DirecTV that they are bundling with their slow DSL, as DirecTV makes it look even worse.
Quote:

U-Verse will still allow you to only record 3 HD shows at once, but unlike Comcast, you can view AND record from any receiver in the house. With Comcast, you can view from any room but MUST record in the room where the DVR is located. So, if the phone rings or someone comes to the door and you aren't near the DVR, you still have to make a choice if you don't want to miss the show you are watching. With U-Verse, just hit the "Record" button.

If you're using a DVR properly and scheduling the shows you want ahead of time, that's a non-issue, although it is kind of inconvenient when you want to schedule something from anywhere that's not online or the main box. TiVo does allow recording from any box in the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

If you have Tivo and mini's you can record from any TV in the house on Comcast plus you only pay for one outlet.

Yup. When discussing XFinity, you have to compare it with TiVo to other providers. Comcast's own boxes are junk and way too expensive compared to TiVo. If it weren't for TiVo, I'd be on DirecTV...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

With a substantial upfront cost, of course. Same for rolling your own Cablecard HTPC with extenders.

The TCO of a TiVo Roamio/Mini setup is about the same over a 36-40 month period of time in most situations, and gets cheaper the longer you keep the TiVos. TiVo saves a LOT of money.
Quote:

I've got Blast. Through 3x3 5ghz N, I'm getting a consistent 7.0MB/s (54mbps) of download. It's great.
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words. And, if I were in your situation I'd probably do exactly the same thing. I like U-Verse for the price, the number of HD channels, and especially for the DVR since we have four HDTVs. The internet speed is fast enough for my use and I have no complaint about the PQ. I just wish they'd give us back the two Hallmark Channels. Oh, well... smile.gif

They have a lot of HD channels, but when the PQ sucks hardcore, it's still a bad deal. Plus, most of those other channels are just junk channels anyways.
post #370 of 387 Old 03-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, that's what I meant in my original comment (on the previous page) : "U-Verse will still allow you to only record 3 HD shows at once, but unlike Comcast, you can view AND record from any receiver in the house. With Comcast, you can view from any room but MUST record in the room where the DVR is located. So, if the phone rings or someone comes to the door and you aren't near the DVR, you still have to make a choice if you don't want to miss the show you are watching. With U-Verse, just hit the "Record" button."

Most people that I know & myself included, don't consider this a biggie - since we do NOT watch LIVE TV at all; that's why we DVR everything, THEN watch it, so that you can skip ALL the annoying commercials! But to each his own...
Also an FYI...CC IS also working on tunerless "thin client" boxes, (think Tivo Mini's) that WILL pause/record live TV, just like the U-verse boxes; they have already been shown on other websites. This was also stated in your link:

We are working with our hardware manufacturers to explore solutions so that Player Mini devices can have Live TV pause capabilities in the future.

Personally, I would just as soon have the extra tuner(s) in the mini boxes, so that if I did run out of tuners for recording, I would at least have a tuner for LIVE TV in a pinch.
Quote:
And, although you can apparently schedule a recording from any X1 box, you still have to watch the recording on that box

Apparently incorrect; again, right from your own links:

Any recording can be played back on any Player or Player Mini in the home. In a multiple Player home, the server presents a combined list of all recordings stored on all Players on a single account in a single list. These are playable on any device in the home associated with that account, and if you so choose, the same recording can be played back on all of the boxes at the same time at different playback points. This allows you to watch your recordings on any TV in the house at any time. You can even start in one room and finish in another.

But I guess since U-verse will ONLY let you have 1 DVR & 4 measly tuners for an entire house, I guess you guys don't have to worry about "multiple players" (DVR's) playing back each others recordings... biggrin.gif
Quote:
Calling the DVR Box 1, I can still schedule and record a program (live or otherwise) on Box 1, 2, 3, or 4 and then play it back on ANY of the 4 boxes no matter where they are located. I can also watch any part of a recorded program in one room and then watch the rest (or all of it) in any other room in the house.

That's what a DVR should do.

And EXCEPT for the LIVE TV part, X1 does ALL of this, just like U-verse, as all of these links prove. And actually, you could have multiple X1 (full) DVR's on ALL 4 TV's, then not only could you pause/record LIVE TV, you would quadruple the storage space, PLUS watch any show from any (full) DVR box, PLUS have more than 4 measly tuners to record in HD from. Or mix & match ANY combo of players/minis that you might want. (say 2 players/2 minis for a 4 TV household) That would give you 8 recording tuners, but only forgo pausing live TV (at this time) on the current (2) minis.
post #371 of 387 Old 03-27-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, dishrich, I will happily take my forty lashes with a wet noodle and move on. redface.gif
post #372 of 387 Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Guys,

Just formally switched my order from Uverse to Xfinity using a company called AllConnect.com. Was originally connected (pun) with them through the power company here in Atlanta. AllConnect was great in setting up great discounts for my service. They were understanding when I cancelled Uverse, and made sure I got everything I need from Xfinity. Very pleased now. Will still miss my D*, but with a broadband speed of 50mbps, I think thats a good compromise.

Thanks to all of you for responding to my inquiry. I always love reading posts here on AVSForum and love chiming in on topics. Most recently and ironically, I blasted Comcast here on AVS for acquiring TimeWarner and the bad things that will mean for us customers. The irony isn't lost on me that I will now be one of their customers.

Funny how life comes full circle sometimes...
BoilerJim likes this.
post #373 of 387 Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I guess since U-verse will ONLY let you have 1 DVR & 4 measly tuners for an entire house, I guess you guys don't have to worry about "multiple players" (DVR's) playing back each others recordings... biggrin.gif
And EXCEPT for the LIVE TV part, X1 does ALL of this, just like U-verse, as all of these links prove. And actually, you could have multiple X1 (full) DVR's on ALL 4 TV's, then not only could you pause/record LIVE TV, you would quadruple the storage space, PLUS watch any show from any (full) DVR box, PLUS have more than 4 measly tuners to record in HD from. Or mix & match ANY combo of players/minis that you might want. (say 2 players/2 minis for a 4 TV household) That would give you 8 recording tuners, but only forgo pausing live TV (at this time) on the current (2) minis.

U-Verse can't support more because they don't have the bandwidth. Some installations can't even do 4 tuners. With TiVo, you can use multiple 6-tuner boxes combined with multiple Minis, up to 10 devices total on an account... So if you really wanted to, you could have 60 tuners.
post #374 of 387 Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

U-Verse can't support more because they don't have the bandwidth. Some installations can't even do 4 tuners.

Well...yea, already understood all that; it was more of a facetious statement, for (yet another) limitation of U-verse over CC...or even over other providers, for that matter. wink.gif
Actually, if AT&T REALLY wanted to, they could actually support more DVR's &/or simultaneous streams to a house, by simply using another pair(s) to the house, then having ALL the DVR's &/or slave boxes talk to each other, similar to other WH-DVR's. BUT, you KNOW AT&T ain't gonna do that, as it would then take additional VRAD ports...which (in essence) would prevent them from serving more subs.

Obviously AT&T has determined that most subs do NOT need more than 3-4 tuners, nor more than a single DVR (with a relatively small HDD, to boot) for their service - they also (obviously) determined that most houses do NOT need more than 18-24 Meg of internet bandwidth. rolleyes.giftongue.gif (FYI, this too is mostly a facetious statement... biggrin.gif )

You know the sad thing is - as you already stated above - they DO actually have a great HD lineup; it definitely beats ALL the providers I can get. (CC, & both sat providers) It's EPG is quick, simple & uncluttered, but clear & very functional.
But, the rest of the service just has too many other downfalls for me; WAY slower internet than my current 105 Meg CC internet! (I ONLY qualify for 18 Meg UV internet; NO dice!)
On the TV side, too few tuners, too small DVR HDD with NO way to expand it & the worst HD pic quality around. (I also have multiple Hoppers/Joey's on DISH)
post #375 of 387 Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well...yea, already understood all that; it was more of a facetious statement, for (yet another) limitation of U-verse over CC...or even over other providers, for that matter. wink.gif
Actually, if AT&T REALLY wanted to, they could actually support more DVR's &/or simultaneous streams to a house, by simply using another pair(s) to the house, then having ALL the DVR's &/or slave boxes talk to each other, similar to other WH-DVR's. BUT, you KNOW AT&T ain't gonna do that, as it would then take additional VRAD ports...which (in essence) would prevent them from serving more subs.

Obviously AT&T has determined that most subs do NOT need more than 3-4 tuners, nor more than a single DVR (with a relatively small HDD, to boot) for their service - they also (obviously) determined that most houses do NOT need more than 18-24 Meg of internet bandwidth. rolleyes.giftongue.gif (FYI, this too is mostly a facetious statement... biggrin.gif )

You know the sad thing is - as you already stated above - they DO actually have a great HD lineup; it definitely beats ALL the providers I can get. (CC, & both sat providers) It's EPG is quick, simple & uncluttered, but clear & very functional.
But, the rest of the service just has too many other downfalls for me; WAY slower internet than my current 105 Meg CC internet! (I ONLY qualify for 18 Meg UV internet; NO dice!)
On the TV side, too few tuners, too small DVR HDD with NO way to expand it & the worst HD pic quality around. (I also have multiple Hoppers/Joey's on DISH)

The problem is that they built their whole system around beating cable could do in 2008 couple of years ago, with no vision forward to future functionality, and no vision that cable would add functionality, and has the bandwidth to offer more tuners, better video quality, and far faster internet speeds than U-Verse can. If they had that vision, they would have run GPON fiber, not U-Verse.

For tuners specifically, cable and DirecTV were only offering two in a box when U-Verse launched, so U-Verse looked incredible. They didn't have the vision to see that cable would go to 6 or more tuners, and has the ability to go to as many tuners as they want. The problem with more pair bonding is that most houses only have two pairs going into them, maybe four. Beyond two, and they'd be running out of pairs in the main phone cables on the street, and only some pairs are even any good for U-Verse. They're battling an old and archaic system. If I were in AT&T's shoes when they started looking at U-Verse, I would have rebuilt the copper plant for the long haul by significantly reducing the number of pairs available, upgrading to ADSL2+ and building out RDSLAMs and RTs, and then turned the focus to fiber for the next generation of services. If they had run U-Verse's IP infrastructure with higher bitrates and used a combination of GPON FTTH and FTTB with short-run pair-bonded VDSL (100/100 or better total bandwidth) or Ethernet, they would have had a real winner on their hands.

Yes, they have a much better lineup, at least in terms of the number of HD channels available. It's one of the only ways that they can "compete", since it's one of the only places where they have a technical advantage over cable (assuming cable isn't running SDV, and even then, that's shared bandwidth vs. dedicated). The problem that I see is that most of those additional channels are channels that almost no one watches, so it just isn't that compelling. Pretty much everything people actually watch is available in HD through XFinity or DirecTV. They were competing on price, and then they jacked their prices up just like cable. Their wireless receiver was interesting, but kind of gimmicky (who really moves their TV around?).

They're at what 320GB or 500GB? 500GB on U-Verse is probably more than 1TB on Comcast since their bitrate is so low. I'm surprised that providers aren't pushing bigger drives out with DVRs. Even the X1 DVR is only 500GB. Sure, it's progress from when Comcast was renting 80GB HD DVRs (although there were only a few HD channels back then), but it's still kind of pathetic considering that 3 and 4TB drives are common in PCs. I think the lowest of any mainstream service now is FIOS at 500GB, which is about 2/3 the size of Comcast at 500GB, significantly less than U-Verse, even if they are at 320GB, and something like 1/5th the size of DirecTV, whose Genie is 1TB. Of course with cable or FIOS you can BYO TiVos and the sky is the limit there.

Yeah, Comcast internet is really good. AT&T can match Blast! at 55mbps with their pair bonding, but only in certain places, with AT&T-owned hardware, and they have no room to expand. No thanks. Comcast has room to expand, I own my own hardware, and it's available anywhere on the system.
post #376 of 387 Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the lowest of any mainstream service now is FIOS at 500GB, which is about 2/3 the size of Comcast at 500GB, significantly less than U-Verse, even if they are at 320GB, and something like 1/5th the size of DirecTV, whose Genie is 1TB. Of course with cable or FIOS you can BYO TiVos and the sky is the limit there

And DISH has them ALL beat, with all Hoppers having 2TB (internal) HDD's standard - along with the ability to freely offload to unlimited #'s of external HDD's, that can also be freely swapped among all DVRs on your account; sky's the limit on what you can save... wink.gif
post #377 of 387 Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:

And DISH has them ALL beat, with all Hoppers having 2TB (internal) HDD's standard - along with the ability to freely offload to unlimited #'s of external HDD's, that can also be freely swapped among all DVRs on your account; sky's the limit on what you can save... wink.gif
Dude, Dish sucks bad. Hopper is a cute gimmick, but they still use MPEG-2 compression. D* wins every comparison with Dish, always has. Just go over to DBSTalk.com, THE Satellite forum and check what real Sat TV evangelists overwhelmingly say.

I had D* for 7 years and loved it to no end. When they switched to MPEG-4, the PQ improved dramatically and so did the channels offered.

Further, I don't even think that Dish's PQ beats Comcast. I've seen Comcast at a friends house here in ATL and it looks pretty good for cable. No, it isn't D* or FIOS, but nothing is. Dish is cheaper, but that's the only way they can compete. Sort of like how the uninitiated complain about the cost of BMW and Porsche autos in comparison to others. It literally "pays" to be #1, so yes, customers have to pay more for the privilege.

Dish is just ok man. It's not horrible by any stretch, but in no way does it "has them ALL beat'.
post #378 of 387 Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aren't they still doing the hard drive based VOD thing where they use half the hard drive for their crap, and half for your own recordings? Or did that end after the 922?
Quote:

Dude, Dish sucks bad. Hopper is a cute gimmick, but they still use MPEG-2 compression. D* wins every comparison with Dish, always has. Just go over to DBSTalk.com, THE Satellite forum and check what real Sat TV evangelists overwhelmingly say.

I had D* for 7 years and loved it to no end. When they switched to MPEG-4, the PQ improved dramatically and so did the channels offered.

Further, I don't even think that Dish's PQ beats Comcast. I've seen Comcast at a friends house here in ATL and it looks pretty good for cable. No, it isn't D* or FIOS, but nothing is. Dish is cheaper, but that's the only way they can compete. Sort of like how the uninitiated complain about the cost of BMW and Porsche autos in comparison to others. It literally "pays" to be #1, so yes, customers have to pay more for the privilege.

Dish is just ok man. It's not horrible by any stretch, but in no way does it "has them ALL beat'.

DISH is MPEG-4, it's just more heavily compressed than DirecTV. They are competing on price, not on quality. Part of that price reduction has been a conscious choice not to compete in the entire NY market, including much of NJ, a little part of PA, as well as the entire Connecticut market due to the combination of lacking YES and SNY.

U-Verse << DISH <<< Comcast << DirecTV < FIOS.

I'm going over to a friend's house to watch the game today and I think they have U-Verse. I'll get to see first hand how it looks, outside of a store.
post #379 of 387 Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aren't they still doing the hard drive based VOD thing where they use half the hard drive for their crap, and half for your own recordings? Or did that end after the 922?

That ended awhile back; & since I only have PTAT set for 1 channel/1 night (to get AutoHop on the networks I DO record) the space my DVR's need for PTAT is ONLY a tiny fraction of the space on the HDD. wink.gif
Quote:
DISH is MPEG-4, it's just more heavily compressed than DirecTV.

U-Verse << DISH <<< Comcast << DirecTV < FIOS.

Not THAT much (more); fixed your pic quality rating... biggrin.gif

U-Verse << Comcast < DISH < DirecTV < FIOS

While I will admit that DirecTV pic quality is a little better than DISH, I really only notice the diff if I really am "studying" the picture; otherwise, it just doesn't bother me to worry about it. And, it sure as hell beats having to watch several of my favorite channels in smeary sub-VHS (SD) pic quality on DirecTV!
Quote:
I'm going over to a friend's house to watch the game today and I think they have U-Verse. I'll get to see first hand how it looks, outside of a store.

Might need a Tums when you're done... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #380 of 387 Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dude, Dish sucks bad. Hopper is a cute gimmick, but they still use MPEG-2 compression. D* wins every comparison with Dish, always has.

Well DUDE, you DO realize you are 200% WRONG on the MPEG4 thing; DISH actually was (all) MPEG4 HD BEFORE the likes of DirecTV, sorry. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Just go over to DBSTalk.com, THE Satellite forum and check what real Sat TV evangelists overwhelmingly say.

If YOU say so; I'd rather go by a better sat(guys) forum.
Quote:

So WHY do you NOT have it anymore...if you "loved it to no end"???

I had it also for much longer; however, I finally got sick & tired of dealing with their DOG-A$$ slow as $hit HD receivers - hell even the old, antiquated POS Comcrap I-guide DVR's, were MUCH faster than DirecTV's - pretty sad that circa 1980's DVR's could be faster than (much) newer DirecTV receivers. I was never SO happy to be rid of those things! I ditched them - even in spite of loosing my lifetime FREE DVR service - (I was grandfathered in when I did the lifetime Tivo DVR fee) because I couldn't take these POS receivers any longer! DirecTV would NOT even consider swapping them for new boxes for FREE - until, of course, I actually followed thru & pulled the plug on their service. They are still e-mailing me win-back offers 2+ years later...

I also got fed up with the waiting & waiting for them to add basic HD channels like HLN, E!, Bio, etc. - that they only very recently added, & which they did NOT have when I got rid of them. DISH had already had them in HD for at least 2-3 years BEFORE DirecTV even thought of adding them. I have a SS that I keep track of all 4 of our local providers HD lineups; it tells the whole story how badly DirecTV is lacking in the basic HD channels, that DISH has carried...some for quite some time. It was SO nice to be able to get these channels I watch often in HD, instead of the smeary sub-VHS (SD) pic quality that DirecTV is offering up for these same channels! tongue.gif

DirecTV is great on their HD lineup - as long as you mostly care about all the premium HD feeds AND full-time RSN feeds - I do NOT have & could care less about either.
Quote:

Man, if you really read my post, I was specifically talking about the HDD space/external HDD capabilities. rolleyes.gif

ALL providers have issues - even your beloved DirecTV has (many) of them as well. I simply could NO longer deal with the issues I personally had with them. While DISH has it's own "warts" that I AM fully aware of -it's the lesser of (all) other evils, IMHO...
post #381 of 387 Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I gotta say, I'm with dishrich on this one. I had pretty much the same experience. Waited forever for DirecTV to catch up on HD content. So I switched to Dish and was very happy with the PQ, HD lineup and equipment. Then they had a rash of disputes that ultimately pushed me to cable. My cable provider now has about 50 more HD channels than Dish or DirecTV. So unless something really major changes, I'm probably done with satellite for good. It was fun while it lasted.
post #382 of 387 Old 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That ended awhile back; & since I only have PTAT set for 1 channel/1 night (to get AutoHop on the networks I DO record) the space my DVR's need for PTAT is ONLY a tiny fraction of the space on the HDD. wink.gif
Not THAT much (more); fixed your pic quality rating... biggrin.gif

U-Verse << Comcast < DISH < DirecTV < FIOS

Ah, PTAT, that's what they're doing with that space now.

Have you seen Comcast lately? It blows DISH out of the water. Then again, I am judging DISH based on the local channels, so they may vary market to market. U-Verse has gotten less bad, but it's still pretty bad.
Quote:
While I will admit that DirecTV pic quality is a little better than DISH, I really only notice the diff if I really am "studying" the picture; otherwise, it just doesn't bother me to worry about it. And, it sure as hell beats having to watch several of my favorite channels in smeary sub-VHS (SD) pic quality on DirecTV!
Might need a Tums when you're done... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

What legit channels are not HD on DirecTV these days? The only one I know of is Al Jazeera America, which is only HD on TWC and Buckeye Cable, IIRC. Many cable and satellite systems don't even have it at all yet. DISH is kind of a joke in some markets. Due to Charlie Ergen's carriage fee feuds, DISH basically doesn't compete in the NYC DMA or the state of Connecticut, since they lack YES and SNY. And they charge $5/mo EXTRA for Al Jazeera America???
Quote:

I had it also for much longer; however, I finally got sick & tired of dealing with their DOG-A$$ slow as $hit HD receivers - hell even the old, antiquated POS Comcrap I-guide DVR's, were MUCH faster than DirecTV's - pretty sad that circa 1980's DVR's could be faster than (much) newer DirecTV receivers. I was never SO happy to be rid of those things! I ditched them - even in spite of loosing my lifetime FREE DVR service - (I was grandfathered in when I did the lifetime Tivo DVR fee) because I couldn't take these POS receivers any longer! DirecTV would NOT even consider swapping them for new boxes for FREE - until, of course, I actually followed thru & pulled the plug on their service. They are still e-mailing me win-back offers 2+ years later...

The HR44 is supposed to be WAY faster than previous boxes. TiVos were dog slow for a long time as well, until the Roamio. My Premiere XL4 is pretty slow, but other than for scheduling it's fine, and I can schedule on a Mini or my iPad.
Quote:
I also got fed up with the waiting & waiting for them to add basic HD channels like HLN, E!, Bio, etc. - that they only very recently added, & which they did NOT have when I got rid of them. DISH had already had them in HD for at least 2-3 years BEFORE DirecTV even thought of adding them. I have a SS that I keep track of all 4 of our local providers HD lineups; it tells the whole story how badly DirecTV is lacking in the basic HD channels, that DISH has carried...some for quite some time. It was SO nice to be able to get these channels I watch often in HD, instead of the smeary sub-VHS (SD) pic quality that DirecTV is offering up for these same channels! tongue.gif

HLN went to total crap when CNN de-branded it from CNN, as if it wasn't already. The rest of it sounds like garbage too. It would be amazing if someone would de-crapify the channels out there- all the providers would have a ton of bandwidth.
Quote:
DirecTV is great on their HD lineup - as long as you mostly care about all the premium HD feeds AND full-time RSN feeds - I do NOT have & could care less about either.
Man, if you really read my post, I was specifically talking about the HDD space/external HDD capabilities. rolleyes.gif

Hah, I forgot about the full-time RSN thing. Yeah, DISH is pretty chintzy in regards to those. They are cheaper. I guess they have that going for them...
post #383 of 387 Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you seen Comcast lately? It blows DISH out of the water. Then again, I am judging DISH based on the local channels, so they may vary market to market.

Yea, every day...since I also have a CC trip-play. And the CC that I see, doesn't "blow anything out of the water"...either pic quality OR channel (count) wise. Judging by local channels alone is hardly a yardstick on which provider "blows another out of the water" - especially since I have no idea where "your market" even is. confused.gif
FWIW, while our CC pic quality is OK, it is definitely in dead LAST place HD channel-count wise - NO way could I put up with it as my sole TV provider! eek.gif
Once my X3 promos run out, I'm probably going to be dumping the TV portion.
Quote:
What legit channels are not HD on DirecTV these days?

I have attached my SS that I use to keep track of what our local providers offer here, so you can easily see for yourself. You will see the color-codes that make it easy to compare DISH to DirecTV.

But, not going to even get into a discussion on what you (or I) constitute as a "legit" HD channel. However, I will post all of the HD channels I do watch, that I (now) get on DISH, that (still) are NOT in HD (or at ALL, in some cases) on DirecTV:

First, as far as local channels go in our market, DirecTV is missing TWO of our local channels in HD; one of which is a 3rd PBS, which I frequently watch. While CC carries it (in HD) as well, U-verse does NOT carry it, either.

As far as national cable channels go:

Esquire
GSN
Hub
Reelz
RFD-TV
Sundance (this one in particular seems to look like total CRAP on DirecTV SD!!)
We
(3) EPIX HD
Indie & Retro-plex

And, as I stated earlier, when I dumped DirecTV 2+ years ago, there were even MORE that DISH carried, that DirecTV didn't - again, got tired of waiting on DirecTV to $hit or get off the pot! And as you can see, I am NOT the only one that thinks this. wink.gif
Quote:
The HR44 is supposed to be WAY faster than previous boxes.

Again, I had NO intention of paying to replace leased boxes, when it was ALL DirecTV's fault those receivers got SO dog-a$$ slow; it was ALL when DirecTV foolishly shoved that stupid HD-GUI onto boxes that were NEVER designed for it in the first place!

And FYI, even when I had DirecTV, I ALSO had a locals-only/superstation pkg on DISH for years. When I called DISH to see about upgrading all my (3) receivers to HD, so that I could dump DirecTV, they upgraded ALL of them - plus added a 3rd DVR - all for FREE! (that was (2) 722k's w/FREE OTA tuners, 1 612 & 1 211k receiver, PLUS the dish upgrade as well) This in spite of the fact I was a current (limited) DISH customer.
After only having these receivers for a little over a year (& was still in a 2-year contract), I moved & DISH then swapped everything out for TWO Hoppers, TWO Joeys AND an owned 211k receiver - again, ALL for FREE! Plus, I'm on the 2nd 18-month round of FREE DVR service, plus FREE lifetime HD. (don't have to keep calling in once a year to reup it like DirecTV made me do!) And I do still have the Superstations; glad I had them, since they no longer offer them to new subs.

Sorry, but DirecTV NEVER remotely treated me anywhere near this well! I'm just sorry I waited so long to take the plung; I do not regret dumping them. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Quote:
It would be amazing if someone would de-crapify the channels out there- all the providers would have a ton of bandwidth.

Well, there ARE some providers out there, that do NOT seem to have a problem offering MOST of the current HD channels out there NOW - Brighthouse comes to mind first; & from where I'm sitting, TWC & Cox aren't all that shabby, either, on many of their systems. Brighthouse is supposed to add ALL the additional Starz AND EPIX HD channels (at least) to their CFL lineups by the middle of the month - once they do this, they will now be offering EVERY single premium HD multiplex that is broadcasting! (I like living vicariously in the Orlando, FL thread here, as they always seem to be getting new HD - at least compared to most other providers biggrin.gif )
But, they also choose to use SDV - which CC choose NOT to. Still, I have NO clue as to what their excuse is now, AFTER eliminating ALL analog channels on most systems. They are sitting on CRAPLOADS of bandwidth, but for whatever crazy reasons, are NOT keeping up with their HD lineups. (I believe you've seen the discussions on this lunacy on DSLR... smile.gifwink.gif )
Quote:
Hah, I forgot about the full-time RSN thing. Yeah, DISH is pretty chintzy in regards to those. They are cheaper. I guess they have that going for them...

Frankly, I have always said that DISH should just dump ALL RSN's & repurpose that bandwidth for more (other) HD; everybody that has an issue with this, has already moved over to other pastures. The majority of DISH network subs (including myself) are NOT sports fanatics, so it is a non-issue. wink.gif

HDchannelsbylocalproviders.xlsx 19k .xlsx file
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx HDchannelsbylocalproviders.xlsx (18.5 KB, 7 views)
post #384 of 387 Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, every day...since I also have a CC trip-play. And the CC that I see, doesn't "blow anything out of the water"...either pic quality OR channel (count) wise. Judging by local channels alone is hardly a yardstick on which provider "blows another out of the water" - especially since I have no idea where "your market" even is. confused.gif
FWIW, while our CC pic quality is OK, it is definitely in dead LAST place HD channel-count wise - NO way could I put up with it as my sole TV provider! eek.gif
Once my X3 promos run out, I'm probably going to be dumping the TV portion.
I have attached my SS that I use to keep track of what our local providers offer here, so you can easily see for yourself. You will see the color-codes that make it easy to compare DISH to DirecTV.

What I got out of that spreadsheet is that they have similar lineups, and U-Verse has a bunch more channels that no one cares about. Sundance is one that DirecTV doesn't have in HD that is actually a recognizable channel. It also varies market to market. You have some channels that I don't have in HD, but you are still missing some that my parents have a couple of systems over.

U-Verse also gives you significantly viewed locals in HD, in the FWIW category. I've never actually lived anywhere that it was available, but that I'm trying to figure out is why they don't have it in the last two places I've lived. They are textbook examples of where U-Verse's VDSL setup would be ideal, an apartment complex that is 3/4 of a mile long, and a neighborhood that is about the same, each with several hundred potential subs, and underground wiring that comes above ground at a main road, where a VRAD could be easily placed. U-Verse has the most HD channels, but their PQ is terrible.

Why do you have Comcast TV? That's just a waste of money if you have DISH. And the channel differences seem rather minimal. Basically all of the providers have all the main HD channels, plus some.

My market is Hartford-New Haven. I have mostly seen the locals, which could and probably do vary by market, but I've also played with it in Radio Shack, and the picture quality did not impress me.
Quote:
But, not going to even get into a discussion on what you (or I) constitute as a "legit" HD channel. However, I will post all of the HD channels I do watch, that I (now) get on DISH, that (still) are NOT in HD (or at ALL, in some cases) on DirecTV:

First, as far as local channels go in our market, DirecTV is missing TWO of our local channels in HD; one of which is a 3rd PBS, which I frequently watch. While CC carries it (in HD) as well, U-verse does NOT carry it, either.

Most channels in general are just garbage. Even a lot of formerly good channels are garbage now, or just re-run movies over and over. Generally, PBSes are pretty similar. My two are out of sync with each other, so I guess it's good I get two, but I'd survive with one.
Quote:
Esquire
GSN
Hub
Reelz
RFD-TV
Sundance (this one in particular seems to look like total CRAP on DirecTV SD!!)
We
(3) EPIX HD
Indie & Retro-plex

What is all that crap? I see Sundance mixed in with a pile of crap.
Quote:
And, as I stated earlier, when I dumped DirecTV 2+ years ago, there were even MORE that DISH carried, that DirecTV didn't - again, got tired of waiting on DirecTV to $hit or get off the pot! And as you can see, I am NOT the only one that thinks this. wink.gif
Again, I had NO intention of paying to replace leased boxes, when it was ALL DirecTV's fault those receivers got SO dog-a$$ slow; it was ALL when DirecTV foolishly shoved that stupid HD-GUI onto boxes that were NEVER designed for it in the first place!

And FYI, even when I had DirecTV, I ALSO had a locals-only/superstation pkg on DISH for years. When I called DISH to see about upgrading all my (3) receivers to HD, so that I could dump DirecTV, they upgraded ALL of them - plus added a 3rd DVR - all for FREE! (that was (2) 722k's w/FREE OTA tuners, 1 612 & 1 211k receiver, PLUS the dish upgrade as well) This in spite of the fact I was a current (limited) DISH customer.
After only having these receivers for a little over a year (& was still in a 2-year contract), I moved & DISH then swapped everything out for TWO Hoppers, TWO Joeys AND an owned 211k receiver - again, ALL for FREE! Plus, I'm on the 2nd 18-month round of FREE DVR service, plus FREE lifetime HD. (don't have to keep calling in once a year to reup it like DirecTV made me do!) And I do still have the Superstations; glad I had them, since they no longer offer them to new subs.

Sorry, but DirecTV NEVER remotely treated me anywhere near this well! I'm just sorry I waited so long to take the plung; I do not regret dumping them. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Well, there ARE some providers out there, that do NOT seem to have a problem offering MOST of the current HD channels out there NOW - Brighthouse comes to mind first; & from where I'm sitting, TWC & Cox aren't all that shabby, either, on many of their systems. Brighthouse is supposed to add ALL the additional Starz AND EPIX HD channels (at least) to their CFL lineups by the middle of the month - once they do this, they will now be offering EVERY single premium HD multiplex that is broadcasting! (I like living vicariously in the Orlando, FL thread here, as they always seem to be getting new HD - at least compared to most other providers biggrin.gif )
But, they also choose to use SDV - which CC choose NOT to. Still, I have NO clue as to what their excuse is now, AFTER eliminating ALL analog channels on most systems. They are sitting on CRAPLOADS of bandwidth, but for whatever crazy reasons, are NOT keeping up with their HD lineups. (I believe you've seen the discussions on this lunacy on DSLR... smile.gifwink.gif )
Frankly, I have always said that DISH should just dump ALL RSN's & repurpose that bandwidth for more (other) HD; everybody that has an issue with this, has already moved over to other pastures. The majority of DISH network subs (including myself) are NOT sports fanatics, so it is a non-issue. wink.gif

I just can't take DISH seriously when they don't feel like bothering with the NYC DMA or the state of Connecticut (the Connecticut Huskies are often on SNY, which they don't carry). We have HBO, but all the good stuff is on HBO- I don't see much need for the other HBO channels. I guess it would be nice to get them in HD, but let's face it, they have one good channel and a bunch of channels with old re-runs so that they can advertise that you get 10 channels for your $15/mo or whatever, but in reality, all people want is the real HBO. It's got all the shows that people are paying the big bucks for.

DirecTV is a premium service with premium equipment, and they charge a premium price for it. DISH is a value-oriented service, and has equipment that is cheaper.

SDV is a horrible kludge. Comcast currently has about 110 HD's in their 860mhz market, but they aren't using all 860mhz of their system. They need to go to MPEG-4, and then they could offer upwards of 200 channels without the horrible unreliable kludge that SDV is. I'm glad that they don't have SDV and the flaky TAs and unreliable operation that comes along as a result. They did eliminate analog, which is the first and most obvious thing to do, they rebuilt most systems, they need to finish that, and then after that is MPEG-4. I'm also glad that I don't have god-awful TWC, as they completely abuse the copy flag. Almost everything that's not locals have the copy flag enabled, so you can't copy from TiVo to computer. Comcast only has it on HBO, which is the correct implementation, since HBO is just being a jerk about it, that's not Comcast's fault. Yes, Comcast needs to use the rest of their bandwidth and finish rebuilding systems. I think they should get Al Jazeera America, Sundance, BBC World News, and things would be great. My market doesn't have ESPNU in HD, but they have that in many markets, and we are missing Al Jazeera America completely. Other than that, we have pretty much everything that is anything. We have about 70 total HD's on a 650mhz system, which is presumably completely crammed and out of bandwidth. I don't know why they don't upgrade us to be in parity with the other markets. I'd take just AJAM in SD and ESPNU in HD like other Comcast markets have. Smithsonian HD sounds cool too, which other markets have on Comcast, although I'm not sure what's actually on it. I'm a little cynical now that the Discovery networks and History have both gone nearly totally down the drain. They don't have CRAPLOADS of bandwidth like you say, but on 860mhz systems, they do have about 100mhz that's not being used. I wonder if they are having problems with signals above 750mhz, so they just don't have anything up there. As it is, when they went from 650mhz to ~750mhz on my parents' system, I had to put an amp in to get some of the new higher frequency HD channels to be reliable and not glitch out. Still, that's a kind of poor excuse. They should just add new HDs up there, so it would be a painless transition and troubleshooting to get people's wiring up to snuff for the higher frequencies.

That's a TERRIBLE idea. There are tons of people who casually follow sports, and would switch providers is DISH just got rid of their RSNs. There is a CLEAR difference in the number of DISH vs. DirecTV subs when you cross the Yankees/ Red Sox line in the middle of CT, since DISH doesn't carry YES. I'd imagine that a lot of people have switched away from DISH now that a lot of Huskies games are on SNY, and DISH doesn't carry it, although it's hard to tell, since dishes tend to go up and not come down. The house I'm renting has a DirecTV dish, but we have cable.
post #385 of 387 Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

U-Verse also gives you significantly viewed locals in HD, in the FWIW category.

Actually no - EVERY local channel in (all) our providers offerings, are part of our DMA; NONE are SV. (Spfld/Decatur/Champaign) If you look up our market, all 3 of our PBS stations ARE very much part of our DMA; our DMA is a little "different" than others.
However, the differences are:

DirecTV does actually carry WEIU, but ONLY in SD. (that's why it's NOT checked) Uverse does not carry it at ALL. Both CC & DISH carry it in HD market-wide, as you noticed.
While technically (according to Nielsen) it IS part of our DMA, it's OTA signal really only reaches more the southeastern region of our area; it is VERY difficult to receive OTA in Springfield at all.

As far as our (2nd) ABC - WICD-15 is actually a semi-satellite of our (primary) WICS-20 ABC affiliate, & are owned by Sinclair. But they do air separate weekday newscasts, & run different local ads. WICD's OTA signal is primarily for the Eastern (Champaign/Urbana) side of our DMA, while WICS is for the Western (Spfld/Decatur) side.
On all our area cable systems, they only carry one or the other, depending on the part of DMA they are in. U-verse & DISH carry BOTH stations regardless of where the sub is, since they obviously are broadcasting the same signals across our entire market.
DirecTV (again) has NEVER carried WICD, even in SD.

We also have a 2nd FOX affiliate for the Champaign side, WCCU-27. Again, it a satellite of WRSP-55, but has no local newscasts, except for one they get from WICS@9PM. (Sinclair now owns them as well rolleyes.gif )
And just like above, local cable systems ONLY carry 1 or the other. U-verse is the ONLY provider that carries it at all across the entire market - & in HD, actually. Neither DISH nor DirecTV have ever carried it.
(I didn't add it to the SS, because the prog is actually identical; truthfully, WICD really doesn't mean all that much for us - except there have been a couple times when WICS went out, but WICD was still on)

if you go here, you can see how our DMA is laid out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Illinois
Quote:
Why do you have Comcast TV? That's just a waste of money if you have DISH. And the channel differences seem rather minimal.
As I told you, it was NOT that much more to upgrade my limited TV & internet service to X3, when I added the phone service about 3 years ago. (sorry, I am NOT ready to go cell-only!)
AND when I moved last year, CC started me all over again on the very SAME promo I had before...& threw in FREE DVR as well.
Again, when my promos run out, I'm probably going to take another look - &, at the time I did the X3, I was still on DirecTV's limited HD lineup. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Basically all of the providers have all the main HD channels, plus some.

Well as I said, maybe you & I (& everyone else) have different ideas of "basically" & "some"... wink.gif
Quote:
Generally, PBSes are pretty similar. My two are out of sync with each other, so I guess it's good I get two, but I'd survive with one.

Again, there's that "generally" - actually, WEIU's lineup has quite a bit of different programming than our other 2 PBS. Again, the more choices on things like this, the better to me. (& in HD, of course)
Also, when I had DirecTV, I actually had Chicago locals - sorry, but their flagship PBS WTTW-11, is a FAR cry from our podunk PBS's downstate! eek.gif
Quote:
What is all that crap? I see Sundance mixed in with a pile of crap.

Again, NOT going to get into a discussion on you think is/is NOT crap - same thing on what constitutes crappy TV service. tongue.gif
AND, are you trying to tell me that DirecTV is better - yea, like I care about multiple Disneys in HD, ION HD, QVC HD, etc???
I like those (others) on DISH, & since I'm paying the bills...that's really all that matters at the end of the day.
Quote:
I just can't take DISH seriously when they don't feel like bothering with the NYC DMA or the state of Connecticut (the Connecticut Huskies are often on SNY, which they don't carry).

OK, well then you should probably NOT switch to it then - again, NON-sports fans ain't gonna give a rats-a$$
Quote:
We have HBO, but all the good stuff is on HBO- I don't see much need for the other HBO channels. I guess it would be nice to get them in HD, but let's face it, they have one good channel and a bunch of channels with old re-runs so that they can advertise that you get 10 channels for your $15/mo or whatever, but in reality, all people want is the real HBO. It's got all the shows that people are paying the big bucks for.

Except for promos I've been on w/DISH, I really don't care to pay for it AT ALL, at least at the going rate it's at these days!
I have plenty of basic channel shows that I don't have time to watch on the DVR...good thing that DISH lets me offload as much as I want to an external HDD - I'll catch-up when I retire in a couple years. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Quote:
DirecTV is a premium service with premium equipment, and they charge a premium price for it. DISH is a value-oriented service, and has equipment that is cheaper.

You need to research this; sorry to have to say this as a DISH sub, but DISH's equipment (leases) are actually MORE expensive than DirecTV's. eek.gif A sample of their prices:
- additional Hopper DVR - $12
- additional single room DVR - $10
- additional dual-room DVR (w/PIP) - $17
- Joey thin clients - $7
- single room HD receiver - $7
- dual room HD receiver - $14

But, after having both kinds of receivers, I NEVER want to have to go back to DirecTV's crap receivers again; unless by some miracle, they get them speeded up. Also, DISH's EPG shows the prog in 3 hour blocks, while DirecTV's is STILL stuck at 90 minutes! Also, DISH doesn't plaster ads throughout their EPG, like DirecTV's does.
IOW, I would rather pay a little MORE for a receiver, & get some thing that I don't have site around & wait for it to react to the remote each time! Hence, it follows what you just said - DISH charges more for equipment, & it's shows in how well it performs. wink.gif
Quote:
That's a TERRIBLE idea. There are tons of people who casually follow sports, and would switch providers is DISH just got rid of their RSNs.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one; again, only a FRACTION of the entire TV viewing audience, cares about (pro) sports on TV. That's why SO many people are fed up (MYSELF included) when $5-$10 of our bills go for the MOST expensive channels on basic pkgs.
Unfortunately, until more people state cutting the TV cord, it's not going to get much better. (& I DO include myself in this... redface.gif )
post #386 of 387 Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I just wanted to add to the fact of how bad uverse PQ is. I seriously cannot switch fast enough. The HD channels are OK with still images, but sports are so atrocious it looks like SD.
post #387 of 387 Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually no - EVERY local channel in (all) our providers offerings, are part of our DMA; NONE are SV. (Spfld/Decatur/Champaign) If you look up our market, all 3 of our PBS stations ARE very much part of our DMA; our DMA is a little "different" than others.
However, the differences are:

They carry all SVs in HD. If you don't have SVs, well, then they won't carry them in anything! smile.gif Not that I'm advocating for U-Verse, but it is a feature.
Quote:
As I told you, it was NOT that much more to upgrade my limited TV & internet service to X3, when I added the phone service about 3 years ago. (sorry, I am NOT ready to go cell-only!)
AND when I moved last year, CC started me all over again on the very SAME promo I had before...& threw in FREE DVR as well.
Again, when my promos run out, I'm probably going to take another look - &, at the time I did the X3, I was still on DirecTV's limited HD lineup. biggrin.gif

Still sounds like a complicated waste!
Quote:
Well as I said, maybe you & I (& everyone else) have different ideas of "basically" & "some"... wink.gif

There's not that many mainstream HD channels. Once you get beyond 120 or 130 HD's you're way in the weeds in terms of content.
Quote:
Again, NOT going to get into a discussion on you think is/is NOT crap - same thing on what constitutes crappy TV service. tongue.gif
AND, are you trying to tell me that DirecTV is better - yea, like I care about multiple Disneys in HD, ION HD, QVC HD, etc???
I like those (others) on DISH, & since I'm paying the bills...that's really all that matters at the end of the day.

The Disney channels are force-feeds from ABC/ESPN for bundling, QVC probably pays the provider so that they can sell crap.
Quote:
OK, well then you should probably NOT switch to it then - again, NON-sports fans ain't gonna give a rats-a$$

That's why DISH has very little (and shrinking) market penetration here. I understand it's different in other markets, but they're just not a player in the NYC DMA or the state of CT.
Quote:
Except for promos I've been on w/DISH, I really don't care to pay for it AT ALL, at least at the going rate it's at these days!
I have plenty of basic channel shows that I don't have time to watch on the DVR...good thing that DISH lets me offload as much as I want to an external HDD - I'll catch-up when I retire in a couple years. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

HBO is pumping out the best quality content on TV today. My roommates watch it, the guys at work talk about it, HBO is where it's at.
Quote:
But, after having both kinds of receivers, I NEVER want to have to go back to DirecTV's crap receivers again; unless by some miracle, they get them speeded up. Also, DISH's EPG shows the prog in 3 hour blocks, while DirecTV's is STILL stuck at 90 minutes! Also, DISH doesn't plaster ads throughout their EPG, like DirecTV's does.
IOW, I would rather pay a little MORE for a receiver, & get some thing that I don't have site around & wait for it to react to the remote each time! Hence, it follows what you just said - DISH charges more for equipment, & it's shows in how well it performs. wink.gif
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one; again, only a FRACTION of the entire TV viewing audience, cares about (pro) sports on TV. That's why SO many people are fed up (MYSELF included) when $5-$10 of our bills go for the MOST expensive channels on basic pkgs.
Unfortunately, until more people state cutting the TV cord, it's not going to get much better. (& I DO include myself in this... redface.gif )

It sucks how much ESPN is charging, but the flip side of it is that have incredibly good quality productions, and they are pretty savvy in that they have parts of the seasons for so many different sports that virtually everyone has to have ESPN, whether it's NCAA basketball, or the World Cup, or the NBA, or several other major sports that they carry.

The HR24, HR34, and HR44 are far faster than the old boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

I just wanted to add to the fact of how bad uverse PQ is. I seriously cannot switch fast enough. The HD channels are OK with still images, but sports are so atrocious it looks like SD.

U-Verse has gotten better PQ wise over the past couple of years, but they still suck. I doubt they've even gotten to DISH's level, much less Comcast or DirecTV. And the sad part is, Comcast especially doesn't set the bar very high at all. Their HD is a mess.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List