post #181 of 387 Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Have you ever played with MythTV? A geek friend of mine says he loves it as his DVR alternative, uses it D*, but I bet it works with any service. Just thought I'd mention it.

Myth is the most fully featured DVR software you can get on a PC (at higher cost of complexity) but it only works with unprotected content on cable, and it's a kludge to get anything working on a PC with either D* or E*. More importantly for some, it runs on Linux so you have to dedicate a PC to it instead of also using a Windows HTPC for gaming or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 387 Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Thanks for the suggestion, but WMC is unfortunately the only game in town for protected cable content as slowbiscuit said. WMC is working fine for me, so I really can't complain.
post #183 of 387 Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, my question is for BoilerJim since I am moving to the Indianapolis area shortly. I'm certain that I will be going with Directv for my TV needs, but was wondering about my internet options. I am settling in the Pike area, very close to Eagle Creek park and it seems my choices are Comcast and ATT U-verse. My wife and I do a good deal of streaming, and I personally do a lot of gaming so I am reluctant to go the U-verse route due to this. It's DSL, however I doesn't sound like any type of DSL I've ever used. I'm used to DSL on old copper lines, and from the sound of it the U-verse option is over a fiber line? Is that right? I'm looking at the 18MB service, and Comcast offers 20MB. Both are just about the same price.

Not sure which one I should go with, but I do wish there were some faster options.
post #184 of 387 Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaminglion View Post

Hey everyone, my question is for BoilerJim since I am moving to the Indianapolis area shortly. I'm certain that I will be going with Directv for my TV needs, but was wondering about my internet options. I am settling in the Pike area, very close to Eagle Creek park and it seems my choices are Comcast and ATT U-verse. My wife and I do a good deal of streaming, and I personally do a lot of gaming so I am reluctant to go the U-verse route due to this. It's DSL, however I doesn't sound like any type of DSL I've ever used. I'm used to DSL on old copper lines, and from the sound of it the U-verse option is over a fiber line? Is that right? I'm looking at the 18MB service, and Comcast offers 20MB. Both are just about the same price.

Not sure which one I should go with, but I do wish there were some faster options.
Although I am perfectly satisfied with my U-verse, I don't do much gaming or streaming so I don't need a superfast internet connection. I just have the 12MB which is fine for my usage.

Since you are going to go with DirecTV, I'd probably recommend Comcast (Infinity) for internet. Welcome to Indy! Eagle Creek is a great area near the Colts practice facility complex. smile.gif

P.S. Yes, U-verse is transmitted over fiber optic cable up to the house (at least in my case).
post #185 of 387 Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am a current UVerse subscriber, and I pay for the 24Mbps internet, an it does fine for gaming online, I normally test out at about 20-21Mbps down, which should be plenty for most gaming online.
I just play Halo 4 with some friends, multiplayer mode.
post #186 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM

I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

I've been a Cox subscriber for 30 years. First at my parents house, then for the last 10 years at my own place. The service has always been outstanding, yet the pricing and channel availability has been high/low respectively.

I had Uverse installed last Friday, and after 2 days I re-ordered Cox.

Here's why things happened as they did:

I have 5 HDTVs in my house, all of which may be on at any given time. We also have 2 shows recording at once almost every night (cox limit). There have been several days that we would want to record a 3rd or 4th show, but it's impossible with Cox. Also, the pricing per month has gone from $105/mo 5 years ago to $258/mo for last months bill. We have 5 cable boxes... 2 standard digital and 3 whole home DVR. We also have HBO, "middle of the road" internet, and standard unlimited phone service. HD is free with Cox, and provides approximately 100-110 channels.

2 of my neighbors have satellite TV, and neither are happy with it. They have both tried Uverse (when it was released in the Cleveland area) and both switched back to satellite within a few months. I've seen and read a lot about Uverse, and have kept up with their line upgrades in my neighborhood, and stuff like that. I took the plunge 2 weeks ago and ordered Uverse online, had a rep call me and confirm everything and I was waiting impatiently for the install date (1/25). Between order and install, AT&T contacted me 5 times regarding "problems" with the order. Either incorrect readings off of their bonded pairs, or mis-scheduled install dates, or an incorrectly packaged system, etc. I had AT&T phone service up until 7 years ago, and it was a nightmare, with terrible (yet friendly) support. I started to get the same feeling again. Friday the 25th came, and the technician was very friendly, installed all 5 STB's, tested them al one at a time, showed me some of the basics with the system, and headed outside. He sat in his van for about 40 minutes, called me and said one of our wire pairs was not working. He called in a ticket for repair the next day. Saturday, the tech was on our street, fixed our pair, and verified it by checking some settings on our TV and in the router.

All is fine, right?

Well, Friday night, my kids were at my parents for the night, and Saturday night we had a mini-trip to a hotel for the night because it's fun for the kids sometimes. Now it's Sunday... The living room and bedroom TVs are on, both tuned to HD channels. My kids are going to bed. We go upstairs to get them situated. We go to my daughter's room first, browse the Guide, pick a show on of the HD Nick channels, say goodnight, and head to my son's room. There, we browse the guide, find a show, try to tune it, but low and behold... ALL HD SERVICES ARE IN USE, PRESS OK TO INTERRUPT ANOTHER TV. To this, we pressed OK. My daughter says "My TV just went off"... and the problems begin.

Literally 2 minutes later, a scheduled recording kicks in, plus I forgot to set one, so we don't even count that one. By the time we walked to my daughter's room, both the kids were off because of the scheduled recording.

So what are our options...? Both kids want to watch HD shows... and they should... since there's really no other purpose to have HD flat panels in their rooms. I want to record 2 HD shows, but only scheduled one...so that's okay. I want to watch another in the living room, while I finish eating a light meal, and my wife wants to watch something in bed, as she wakes up early for work.

Through some quick Googling, I find out that I have a 1SD/3HD profile set up. I called AT&T to find out what this means, and they said that AT&T limits all residences to 4 streams at once, and my profile is set to 1 SD and 3 HD channels. He said he could "upgrade" me to 0SD/4HD, so we could watch 1 additional HD channel, but that would effectively block all the other SD channels from streaming to my house. So that's ridiculous as well, since occasionally something is on one of the SD movie channels, but not the limited HD versions.

I asked the rep why they would sell me 5 STB's for my 5 HDTV's, but only allow 4 programs at once. I also asked what would happen if I had 4 kids, and we had 6-7 TVs, and we all want to watch something different. He tod me that they just assume people keep less than 4 on at once.

SERIOUSLY?

After more Googling, I found out what the different bandwidth caps are, etc. I called AT&T back, and asked them to read me some numbers (which they did) about my current usage (1 had 1SD/4HD fully turned on in my house, as well as maxing out my DSL speed)...

I was using LESS THAN HALF of the bandwidth capacity of my house. The Motorola boxes they provided me allow 10 streams or more of data... AT&T limits me to 4.

They told me that it's their policy to limit to 4 streams, and there are no exceptions.

I got off the phone, went to Cox.com, and ordered service. It's going to be $90/mo more than AT&T after the promotion period, but well worth it. We get 23/2 internet, unlimited phone, most of the same programming (swap Showtime for HBO), and I can record my 2 shows at once, PLUS have all the other TVs watching separate programming. My daughter, son, and wife can watch HD channels, while we record 2 others (while watching one of them) in the living room. I can even put one on in the basement. My limit with 5 boxes is 6 shows... 2 on the main TV, 1 on each additional. That's a huge difference from AT&T limiting me to, and I had to do it.

That's my experience.
post #187 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22

Just to clarify for people, you do *not* need a lot of bandwith for gaming, it just doesn't use that much.  Some people seem to think they need 50 mb or something to game.  3 or 6 is just fine to game with.  What matters more for gaming is ping and latency.

I go between 6 and 12 on Uverse and it's plenty to game *and* stream with.  With 12 you can easily do a couple HD streams from Netflix and a stream or two from Hulu and have plenty left to game or download with.  Is 30 or 50 great?  Sure.  But you really don't *need* anything that fast unless you're streaming a dozen HD streams or something.  :)

Scott
post #188 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM

I need 50Mbps, yes I do. tongue.gif
post #189 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Although I am perfectly satisfied with my U-verse, I don't do much gaming or streaming so I don't need a superfast internet connection. I just have the 12MB which is fine for my usage.

Since you are going to go with DirecTV, I'd probably recommend Comcast (Infinity) for internet. Welcome to Indy! Eagle Creek is a great area near the Colts practice facility complex. smile.gif

P.S. Yes, U-verse is transmitted over fiber optic cable up to the house (at least in my case).

Thanks Jim, sounds like Comcast is my best bet.
post #190 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 AM

And also thanks to everyone, after reading the other posts now I'm back to wondering what to do. Is it true the U-Verse DSL will give me a true, consistent speed all the time? I know I probably won't max out at 18 MB if that's the tier I choose, but it seems that Comcast (and all Cable Modems) are very dependent on who is logging on currently on your node, and how much they are doing. Is this right?
post #191 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It will give you a consistent speed that's less than what you pay for, sure. DSL is always 'up to' some amount and never over, even though long ago (before AT&T borged Bellsouth here) it actually did deliver the speed you were supposed to get. I think U-Verse is in the same boat from all reports I've read.

Comcast here, on the other hand, consistently gives me more than the speed I'm paying for.
post #192 of 387 Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

And also thanks to everyone, after reading the other posts now I'm back to wondering what to do. Is it true the U-Verse DSL will give me a true, consistent speed all the time? I know I probably won't max out at 18 MB if that's the tier I choose, but it seems that Comcast (and all Cable Modems) are very dependent on who is logging on currently on your node, and how much they are doing. Is this right?

Right now I pay for the 24Mbps (Turbo Max?) and at best get to 22Mbps, never seen 24 or higher. Whereas a friend from work has Cox Cable, and pays for their 55Mbps and gets 60+ most of the time.
Maybe he's the beneficiary of less customers around him sucking the bandwidth? Or maybe Cox is just better at delivering what is expected and beyond? I'm about to switch to Cox for this very reason.
So on one hand UVerse has been consistent with 18-22 for me, its never been what I've been paying for.
post #193 of 387 Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uverse Internet is different then AT&T DSL so be sure you know which it is you are getting.

If it's Uverse you will get what you pay for if not more.  For example, I have 12 right now and get 14 solid when downloading from Steam for example.  When I had 18 I'd get 20 downloading.  Unlike Charter cable where I paid for 12 and lucky to get 7.

So unless you have a rare bad Uverse area the Internet is very, very solid, you get all you pay for and ping and latency is very good too.

Scott
post #194 of 387 Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I don't agree with the MCE thing but thats your opinion and I respect it.
D*'s PQ is probably better than Cox or UVerse as well, thats what I'm banking on.

You could make a good argument for D*'s system (if you don't need commercial skipping) or even TiVo (for a smaller setup). but not for the cable company's or UVerse's atrocious POS DVRs.
Quote:

Comcast is upgrading Blast! to 50/10, U-Verse is only 24/3 if you get lucky. With Comcast you can own your own gear, with U-Verse, you have to use their router. The one upside with U-Verse is that they don't charge you $15 extra just for not subscribing to their TV service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Kaine View Post

We also have 2 shows recording at once almost every night (cox limit). There have been several days that we would want to record a 3rd or 4th show, but it's impossible with Cox.

A. WAY too much TV!
B. With cable, you can record 12 things at once, and nothing is stopping you from having a cableco box (2), TiVo (4), or another MCE machine (up to 12) on the same account:
http://www.mychannellogos.com/Pages/TunserSalad.aspx
post #195 of 387 Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

You could make a good argument for D*'s system (if you don't need commercial skipping) or even TiVo (for a smaller setup). but not for the cable company's or UVerse's atrocious POS DVRs.

Totally agree. I was already on the page that D* has the better DVR out there, thats not build it yourself type, one from a provider. Cox and UVerse here in OKC are just big clunky, that work fine for most normal folks, but not very cutting edge technology. Just plain Jane.
post #196 of 387 Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Kaine View Post

I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

I've been a Cox subscriber for 30 years. First at my parents house, then for the last 10 years at my own place. The service has always been outstanding, yet the pricing and channel availability has been high/low respectively.

I had Uverse installed last Friday, and after 2 days I re-ordered Cox.

Here's why things happened as they did:

I have 5 HDTVs in my house, all of which may be on at any given time. We also have 2 shows recording at once almost every night (cox limit). There have been several days that we would want to record a 3rd or 4th show, but it's impossible with Cox. Also, the pricing per month has gone from $105/mo 5 years ago to $258/mo for last months bill. We have 5 cable boxes... 2 standard digital and 3 whole home DVR. We also have HBO, "middle of the road" internet, and standard unlimited phone service. HD is free with Cox, and provides approximately 100-110 channels.

2 of my neighbors have satellite TV, and neither are happy with it. They have both tried Uverse (when it was released in the Cleveland area) and both switched back to satellite within a few months. I've seen and read a lot about Uverse, and have kept up with their line upgrades in my neighborhood, and stuff like that. I took the plunge 2 weeks ago and ordered Uverse online, had a rep call me and confirm everything and I was waiting impatiently for the install date (1/25). Between order and install, AT&T contacted me 5 times regarding "problems" with the order. Either incorrect readings off of their bonded pairs, or mis-scheduled install dates, or an incorrectly packaged system, etc. I had AT&T phone service up until 7 years ago, and it was a nightmare, with terrible (yet friendly) support. I started to get the same feeling again. Friday the 25th came, and the technician was very friendly, installed all 5 STB's, tested them al one at a time, showed me some of the basics with the system, and headed outside. He sat in his van for about 40 minutes, called me and said one of our wire pairs was not working. He called in a ticket for repair the next day. Saturday, the tech was on our street, fixed our pair, and verified it by checking some settings on our TV and in the router.

All is fine, right?

Well, Friday night, my kids were at my parents for the night, and Saturday night we had a mini-trip to a hotel for the night because it's fun for the kids sometimes. Now it's Sunday... The living room and bedroom TVs are on, both tuned to HD channels. My kids are going to bed. We go upstairs to get them situated. We go to my daughter's room first, browse the Guide, pick a show on of the HD Nick channels, say goodnight, and head to my son's room. There, we browse the guide, find a show, try to tune it, but low and behold... ALL HD SERVICES ARE IN USE, PRESS OK TO INTERRUPT ANOTHER TV. To this, we pressed OK. My daughter says "My TV just went off"... and the problems begin.

Literally 2 minutes later, a scheduled recording kicks in, plus I forgot to set one, so we don't even count that one. By the time we walked to my daughter's room, both the kids were off because of the scheduled recording.

So what are our options...? Both kids want to watch HD shows... and they should... since there's really no other purpose to have HD flat panels in their rooms. I want to record 2 HD shows, but only scheduled one...so that's okay. I want to watch another in the living room, while I finish eating a light meal, and my wife wants to watch something in bed, as she wakes up early for work.

Through some quick Googling, I find out that I have a 1SD/3HD profile set up. I called AT&T to find out what this means, and they said that AT&T limits all residences to 4 streams at once, and my profile is set to 1 SD and 3 HD channels. He said he could "upgrade" me to 0SD/4HD, so we could watch 1 additional HD channel, but that would effectively block all the other SD channels from streaming to my house. So that's ridiculous as well, since occasionally something is on one of the SD movie channels, but not the limited HD versions.

I asked the rep why they would sell me 5 STB's for my 5 HDTV's, but only allow 4 programs at once. I also asked what would happen if I had 4 kids, and we had 6-7 TVs, and we all want to watch something different. He tod me that they just assume people keep less than 4 on at once.

SERIOUSLY?

After more Googling, I found out what the different bandwidth caps are, etc. I called AT&T back, and asked them to read me some numbers (which they did) about my current usage (1 had 1SD/4HD fully turned on in my house, as well as maxing out my DSL speed)...

I was using LESS THAN HALF of the bandwidth capacity of my house. The Motorola boxes they provided me allow 10 streams or more of data... AT&T limits me to 4.

They told me that it's their policy to limit to 4 streams, and there are no exceptions.

I got off the phone, went to Cox.com, and ordered service. It's going to be $90/mo more than AT&T after the promotion period, but well worth it. We get 23/2 internet, unlimited phone, most of the same programming (swap Showtime for HBO), and I can record my 2 shows at once, PLUS have all the other TVs watching separate programming. My daughter, son, and wife can watch HD channels, while we record 2 others (while watching one of them) in the living room. I can even put one on in the basement. My limit with 5 boxes is 6 shows... 2 on the main TV, 1 on each additional. That's a huge difference from AT&T limiting me to, and I had to do it.

That's my experience.

Frankly this sounds like the DirecTV commercial about cable.

That said I have 3 (very old) DirecTV HR20 DVR's (4 or 5 old years I think) and can record 6 HD shows at once and play them back on any DVR in the house. DirecTV's new Genie can record 5 HD shows at once and play them back on any TV in the house with a client device. It has a Terabyte of storage.

Edit - I also think you'll save (quite a bit of ) money. I have DirecTV, Comcast High Speed Internet (20 Mbps) and Ooma (phone) - even paying for premium European soccer channels ($30) this is around $160 total a month for TV, Internet and Phone.
post #197 of 387 Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Totally agree. I was already on the page that D* has the better DVR out there, thats not build it yourself type, one from a provider. Cox and UVerse here in OKC are just big clunky, that work fine for most normal folks, but not very cutting edge technology. Just plain Jane.

Chris, forgive me if you've already covered this but I'd be interested to know how your DirecTV install went and your opinions on pq and functionality vs your old UVerse setup? I sell tvs and often have customers new to HD and am often asked which service to go with--like to make educated suggestions.

Steve S.
post #198 of 387 Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Chris, forgive me if you've already covered this but I'd be interested to know how your DirecTV install went and your opinions on pq and functionality vs your old UVerse setup? I sell tvs and often have customers new to HD and am often asked which service to go with--like to make educated suggestions.

The install date has not come up yet, I had to push it a week due to being sick last week when it was supposed to have been installed.
I'll let you know as soon as I have it installed.

Thanks!
post #199 of 387 Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^appreciate that, hope you're feeling ok!

BTW, had the ATT U-Verse reps stop by again (second run at canvassing the neighborhood trying to sell their service) and they made all sorts of weird claims such as that their signals were not compressed etc. They had no interest in us unless we took their tv service (we just wanted info on internet as we're currently stuck on dsl at 1.5mbps).

Steve S.
post #200 of 387 Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:

BTW, had the ATT U-Verse reps stop by again (second run at canvassing the neighborhood trying to sell their service) and they made all sorts of weird claims such as that their signals were not compressed etc. They had no interest in us unless we took their tv service (we just wanted info on internet as we're currently stuck on dsl at 1.5mbps).

Humm, so blaten lies? Its my understanding their signals are compressed? Maybe you live in a newer area where you have fiber to the home?
post #201 of 387 Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

Humm, so blaten lies? Its my understanding their signals are compressed? Maybe you live in a newer area where you have fiber to the home?
Even if that were the case, that wouldn't affect compression (technically there's always compression, but I assume they're talking about re-compression, which is common).

Compression would take place at the head end and the type of wiring to the home would not result in any additional compression. Wiring doesn't compress anything. The only thing it can do is allow for a better or worse signal due to the amount of bandwidth it has. In other words, the only thing FTH would do is allow the existing signal to pass with fewer dropouts or allow more streams through.

However, if the signal is already overly compressed, it's still going to look bad no matter how big the pipe is.
post #202 of 387 Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Even if that were the case, that wouldn't affect compression (technically there's always compression, but I assume they're talking about re-compression, which is common).

Compression would take place at the head end and the type of wiring to the home would not result in any additional compression. Wiring doesn't compress anything. The only thing it can do is allow for a better or worse signal due to the amount of bandwidth it has. In other words, the only thing FTH would do is allow the existing signal to pass with fewer dropouts or allow more streams through.

However, if the signal is already overly compressed, it's still going to look bad no matter how big the pipe is.

Exactly. Plus, the FTTH U-Verse is capped at a lower speed than the good FTTN setups, which is pretty sad considering that the fiber is BPON, which is capable of 622mbps, while FTTN is lucky to hit 50-70 raw speed.
post #203 of 387 Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI if you want Internet and they won't install without TV here is what you do.  Have them install both.  Usually it's the only way to get a free install anyway.  So they will install both for free, they'll give you $200-$300 to sign up.  Cancel the TV after 30 days or when you get your cash back gift card, whichever is later.  It's what I and many others have done.  They pay you to get the install and you have no commitment for the TV so just let 'em install it and if you want just immediately unplug the DVR once they leave and set it off to the side to send back once you cancel.  Easy as pie.  Just make sure they don't cut or use any of your DirecTV or cable cables on the install, have them run their own.

Scott
post #204 of 387 Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:

A situation has come up here in my household, where my wife has been talking to our realtor, who is a family friend, and we are probably going to be putting the house up for sale soon. Which means I'll probably cancel my D* install for now, until we get into the new house, then I'll probably have it installed there to start with. Doesn't make sense to have it installed in this house, just to move it in a few months or more/less. Maybe even by that time they'll have the new HR-44 Genie boxes out in the world.

So I can't help anyone with my experience yet, its going to be canceled today.
post #205 of 387 Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM

I have had DirecTV for 15 years. UVerse has been pestering me for the past 3 years to give their system a try. So, I decide to give them a try by signing up for their bundle package with TV, Internet and phone service. I still have my DirecTV for comparison. The install went smooth except the installer cut my two lines to my DVR tuners to my main room. I managed to hook up one of the tuners for my DirecTV connection using my old Comcast internet cable. I just needed something to compare the picture. Out of the box, the UVerse picture was flat and boring. It lacked any kind of punch when I compared it to the the DirecTV picture. I decided to see how close I could get the pictures from the two services to look the same. After several hours of tweaking, I managed to get the UVerse picture close to the quality of the DirecTV picture. But I couldn't get them exactly the same no matter how hard I tried. DirecTV still had that edge in clarity, sharpness and color saturation.I hate to give up on the UVerse. Some of the things I did like. Their app for scheduling shows over your phone was better than DirecTV. But the Uverse interface for their UI was too clunky. It took too many button pushes to do some things.

While I have the two services connected and since I have to call DirecTV anyway to have my second tuner reconnected, I think I'll call DirecTV's retention department. Maybe they can offer some special deals to keep me as a customer. Hopefully DireTV can match what UVerse was willing to offer.smile.gif
post #206 of 387 Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched the Superbowl through DISH, and I can pretty fairly say that DirecTV > DISH/Comcast > U-Verse. I haven't seen DISH and Comcast in a well enough controlled environment to choose between then, but if I had to pass judgement right now, I'd say Comcast is technically doing better, but the compression artifacts that DISH has are a lot less annoying than Comcast, and that DISH beats Comcast on EA CONUS channels, whereas Comcast beats DISH on the locals. I saw something in RI that was AMAZING, not sure if it was FIOS or DirecTV.
post #207 of 387 Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I sell tvs and was at work when the Superbowl was on. We have one tv running off a dish box, the rest are running either store feed or mfg. provided demo loops. The Superbowl on Dish was not representative of Dish's normal pq-it was better by a significant margin. My guess is that Dish deliberately reduced the normal amount of compression used to impress people watching at Superbowl get-togethers. Reminds me of one year when the local station running the superbowl actually turned off all their sub-channels during the game to improve bandwidth.

Steve S.
post #208 of 387 Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 32
Actually Steve S, it was announced through industry sources, that the feed CBS was sending out, was a very low bit-rate feed, and was low quality on all Pay to watch tv providers, along with OTA. Had nothing to do with what Pay to watch provider is better, CBS, dropped the ball.
post #209 of 387 Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually Steve S, it was announced through industry sources, that the feed CBS was sending out, was a very low bit-rate feed, and was low quality on all Pay to watch tv providers, along with OTA. Had nothing to do with what Pay to watch provider is better, CBS, dropped the ball.

Actually Davis and Crabtree dropped a few key balls during the game, cost their team...
mad.gif
post #210 of 387 Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sell tvs and was at work when the Superbowl was on. We have one tv running off a dish box, the rest are running either store feed or mfg. provided demo loops. The Superbowl on Dish was not representative of Dish's normal pq-it was better by a significant margin. My guess is that Dish deliberately reduced the normal amount of compression used to impress people watching at Superbowl get-togethers. Reminds me of one year when the local station running the superbowl actually turned off all their sub-channels during the game to improve bandwidth.

They would have had to do that in every single market, which would have been rather difficult.

If CBS sent out a crappy feed, that really sucks for the MSOs, as a lot of people were at other people's houses watching it, judging other MSOs by it.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page