"Major Crimes" on TNT HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
In the episode with the fake kidnapping, did I really catch that the FBI provided the $2M ransom funds because mom & pop were broke? Has a government agency ever put up ransom funds for any kidnapping payoff?
I can't remember that episode plot now, but the bills were marked (the security stripe was moved) so the FBI could track their use. So it wasn't just free money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
In the episode with the fake kidnapping, did I really catch that the FBI provided the $2M ransom funds because mom & pop were broke? Has a government agency ever put up ransom funds for any kidnapping payoff?
I meant to bring that up too and then forgot - I never heard of such a thing. At first I assumed they just meant the FBI delivered ransom money provided by the parents, substituting traceable currency, but later it was specifically referred to as "taxpayers' money". On TV they invariably advise the victims not to pay any ransom - not sure how authentic that is either though...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I could maybe see the FBI doing something like that to track down a real criminal ring, but not in a one-off case like this...

CC

Old 08-06-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I meant to bring that up too and then forgot - I never heard of such a thing. At first I assumed they just meant the FBI delivered ransom money provided by the parents, substituting traceable currency, but later it was specifically referred to as "taxpayers' money". On TV they invariably advise the victims not to pay any ransom - not sure how authentic that is either though...
Obama's crew officially let slip that it's O.K. now for families to pay ransom, but have not admitted ransom was paid for the deserter they exchanged for the five boggy terrorists too.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Obama's crew officially let slip that it's O.K. now for families to pay ransom, but have not admitted ransom was paid for the deserter they exchanged for the five boggy terrorists too.
That's great news - I feel safer already!

CC

Old 08-15-2015, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Please, God, let Stroh kill off Rusty!

Yes please! Amen!
Garrett Adams likes this.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I am behind. Just saw the First Night for Buzz on Patrol episode. (Body in bathtub) {wedding}
What a stinker. The whole shoot seemed improvised and the non regulars looked very amateurish.
More of an outtake reel than a show.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Glad to see, though with turkeys like MITF getting renewed it's not like it was in any danger, and Public Morals, Legends and Agent X are all on life support...

CC

Old 12-01-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I continue to enjoy the show, especially Provenza and the rest of the squad. Although Rusty is still the show's cross to bear.
Stereodude, cc_in_oh and thelucky1 like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I continue to enjoy the show, especially Provenza and the rest of the squad. Although Rusty is still the show's cross to bear.
Yes, for a while I thought he was getting less annoying but he'd getting on my nerves again. With Rayder in a relationship with Flynn he's just not needed as the personal side of her life, and he doesn't serve any other purpose. Now that he's no longer under protection there's no reason for him to be hanging around the station. I'd like to see his screen time go to Sanchez, Tau and Sykes.

Another season will make 12 I think for the original Closer cast - I wonder how much longer they'll all want to stay?
TeeJay1952 and thelucky1 like this.

CC

Old 12-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Full disclosure: Rusty does not bother me (although he is far from the best character). I had to laugh, though, a few eps back when, decribing his blog, Rusty said "I have over 50,000 readers, and for some reason, some of them don't like me". Does someone on the show read AVS Forum?

Indirectly Outta Compton
Old 12-02-2015, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Full disclosure: Rusty does not bother me (although he is far from the best character). I had to laugh, though, a few eps back when, decribing his blog, Rusty said "I have over 50,000 readers, and for some reason, some of them don't like me". Does someone on the show read AVS Forum?
Could be. He was OK this week, more in the background, and had a good moment rolling his eyes over Sharon's fussing over Andy. He'll be back in trouble soon if he interacts with the prisoner in court...

CC

Old 12-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Was it just me? The mother of the victim last night seemed like a very poor actor. I just didn't buy her attempts to appear sad, and ithe performance actually took me "out of the story".
Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I forgot to mention... there was a very good line a couple of episodes back, during the interrogation... where the witness was talking about spinoffs... and Provenza said "I'm sure everyone here knows what a spinoff is"
Garrett Adams and cc_in_oh like this.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 112
.... I wonder if they are setting up Rusty to cause a mistrial, or something, in regard to the prisoner making him promise to be in the courtroom, and "wave back when I wave at you" thing ...... Seems like that line was in there for a "reason" .
The prisoner could be pulling at Rusty's feelings while in reality is using him for another purpose ..
Old 12-05-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
They don't need to, they just have to look at the internet. The words "Rusty" and "annoying" are easy to find in close proximity during episode reviews.

He doesn't annoy me now, I just find him completely irrelevant. He exists in his own story trying to justify a reason to be on the show. Rusty has almost no reason to interact with anyone this season. Last year at least the case he was chasing was linked to the squad room. This year they had to stick Flynn in the same apartment just for him to have a tangential reason to talk to anyone besides Raydor.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 2086
I was hoping they'd send him away to college out of state, but no such luck.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I was hoping they'd send him away to college out of state, but no such luck.
I'm still hoping the perp who was wanting to kill him and killed the judge comes back and offs Rusty just for fun.
John dhein and thelucky1 like this.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-02-2016, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As much as I can appreciate the show aiming for a long multi-episode case I think it ran out of juice before this episode was half over. The case involves so many angles now I actually forgot that the woman and baby were shot in the first part. I've lost interest to the point I'm not actually sure what crime they are investigating or who they are trying to arrest and for what.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
As much as I can appreciate the show aiming for a long multi-episode case I think it ran out of juice before this episode was half over. The case involves so many angles now I actually forgot that the woman and baby were shot in the first part. I've lost interest to the point I'm not actually sure what crime they are investigating or who they are trying to arrest and for what.
I agree. Other shows have done multi-episode arcs, or an entire season without the viewer losing focus on the overall story. In my case though I often FF through the "Previously On" opening scenes. Maybe that's where the family jewels are located.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad they tried it, but the story they came up with just isn't worthy of 4 episodes, and it's shaping up to be less enjoyable than 4 standalone episodes. The only way I see it being justified is if it leads to some earthshaking conclusion like the death of a main character.

On the plus side though it's giving Tao, Sanchez and Sykes some long overdue screen time and they're making the most of it...
VisionOn likes this.

CC

Old 03-02-2016, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I'm glad they tried it, but the story they came up with just isn't worthy of 4 episodes, and it's shaping up to be less enjoyable than 4 standalone episodes. The only way I see it being justified is if it leads to some earthshaking conclusion like the death of a main character.

On the plus side though it's giving Tao, Sanchez and Sykes some long overdue screen time and they're making the most of it...
Hmm, I never considered that this could be a precursor to a death because the story is being spread out so much. The writers always seem to struggle giving Julio a consistent story and having him bond and hook up with the female detective does seem like another attempt to do something with his character, or give one or both of them more screen time before they kill them off.

Sykes is definitely getting something more to do but I agree that is just long overdue writing. She is mostly forgettable usually so this case does bring her to the fore. Hopefully it affects her character in the long run somehow because even with her added scenes Sykes is still a pretty dull character.

Tao I think makes out fine with most stories because Michael Chan is a charismatic actor and because Tao is an expert in nearly every field of criminal forensics he always has at least something to do in every episode. From bomb disposal, to hacking, to DNA analysis ... Tao is on the case.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I agree the whole story line if way too convoluted to easily follow. Plus, this does not mesh with the rest of the series.

i still enjoy the show and am so happy they dropped that get a confession tag that was annoying earlier in the series.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Hmm, I never considered that this could be a precursor to a death because the story is being spread out so much. The writers always seem to struggle giving Julio a consistent story and having him bond and hook up with the female detective does seem like another attempt to do something with his character, or give one or both of them more screen time before they kill them off.

Sykes is definitely getting something more to do but I agree that is just long overdue writing. She is mostly forgettable usually so this case does bring her to the fore. Hopefully it affects her character in the long run somehow because even with her added scenes Sykes is still a pretty dull character.

Tao I think makes out fine with most stories because Michael Chan is a charismatic actor and because Tao is an expert in nearly every field of criminal forensics he always has at least something to do in every episode. From bomb disposal, to hacking, to DNA analysis ... Tao is on the case.
A death would open up screen time for characters that have been getting short shrift. IMO the Sykes character has potential - far more than Rusty e.g. Her military background and unwavering devotion to duty make her far more than just another pretty face, even if not as much fun as a Provenza or Flynn. You have the junior member of the team acting more maturely than the senior members, and that opens up the possibility of interesting character development on both sides...

CC

Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually more intrigued by Rusty and the B-story that nobody is talking about... something is going on with his mother. I'm starting to think that she is working as an informant or something and that's why she is pushing Rusty to stay out of it because she doesn't want to blow her cover and she really is finally cleaning up her act and realized how much crap she had put him through... she probably made a deal to get clean and help bust her old boyfriend in exchange for a reduced sentence or something and that might come out at some point.

Of course, if I'm right about that... it probably leads to her getting killed in the process to create more Rusty drama.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I'm actually more intrigued by Rusty and the B-story that nobody is talking about... something is going on with his mother. I'm starting to think that she is working as an informant or something and that's why she is pushing Rusty to stay out of it because she doesn't want to blow her cover
That was my thought in the first episode as well. She is working with the cops and staying in some kind of safehouse away from the dude that was following Rusty.

But I still don't care that much about it, so her being in the armed robbery car development did nothing for me. Rusty is still just floating around in a cloud of story irrelevance these days. He barely has any scenes with Sharon about day to day family stuff now. That would at least give him some domestic drama interaction.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't been in the "hate Rusty" camp like I've seen some... I'm more in the "yeah, why is he there now?" camp sometimes, though. Originally I got that it was a humanizing thing for Sharon, how her character had been previously... they didn't want to retread the way Brenda Lee was introduced and at odds with everyone for the first season of the show... so they give Sharon the Rusty situation and it helps the people at work see she is a more complex person than they knew from her time at IA.

But... after that was smoothed over, and they aren't playing Sharon vs the squad anymore... they sometimes forget to give Rusty a reason for being around. The other people in the squad are sometimes just in the background, but at least you know they are there working on something for the case... they are well-established (for the most part) by now. But Rusty is still pretty undeveloped beyond the case that originally brought his character to the show.

It'd be nice if they either gave his character some more meaningful things to do OR wrote him off as going to college or something. Nothing against the actor either, he's not being given much to play with really.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They are really turning Julio into the Dr Mark Greene of police. They've killed almost everyone he loves, he's had a breakdown and his new girlfriend was a corrupt cop murderer. All that's really left is to give him a brain tumor.

I had a feeling Stephanie was more than just coincidental hookup material for Sanchez just given her sudden prominence in these episodes and as soon as they had their romantic exchange it was obvious to me she was going to be the next carriage on the more-bad-news-for-Sanchez express. As soon as the opening scenes cleared the drug dealers I knew it was her. So that was just a drawn out conclusion.

By the end of this case I still didn't care. Nice try at long-form Major Crimes but stick to three-parters at most. The show just doesn't have the depth of character or story to carry out one long serialized case. Case in point, Rusty and his mom. Not sure what the point of the bank robbery story was but it didn't get me to be interested in whatever his mom was doing.

But hey, at least Provenza got married! I would rather have had another Flynn and Provenza comedy episode about the wedding than another part of this story.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree 5 parts was a bit long... and they didn't even really finish Rusty's B-story really, did they?

But... I give them credit for fiddling a bit with the format... because we all know on a show like this that one of the new guests for any given week is the killer, especially if it is someone at all familiar... but with this multi-part format it let them throw in several new characters and keep you guessing a bit longer which way it was going. For a while, you could actually believe Julio might be getting a girlfriend... until this last part... but IF they'd done that story in the normal single or 2-part episode it would have been obvious MUCH earlier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement