Copper on BBC America - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Wonder if BBC America wanted more episodes for American audience than the usual 6 that BBC series tend to have where the writers can focus on quality not quantity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

After tonite's episode, the show's writing problem rear its ugly head again.
The dentist doesn't recognise the fruit cake he himself made to kill his wife's boy toy?
Oh yeah, put it in another box and he will COMPLETELY NOT remember baking one exactly like it.....rolleyes.gif
Blondie gives the little girl back to her "father" (step-father).
In spite of the fact, Cocorran threatened the guy's life if he ever came around the girl again?
Yeah, sure.rolleyes.gif

The dentist didn't bake the cake, his wife did and he poisonned it. It got re-gifted and repackaged in a box from NY's best bakery. By the time it got back to him he didn't recognize it. Fruitcakes last forever, and look pretty much alike and there's no telling how long it took to get back to him. One winter my stepmom made a huge fruitcake not knowing we weren't fans of the things. It languished for weeks largely uneaten until one day she poured half a bottle of Jim Beam over it-disappeared in 3 days.

I also don't remember mrs, Haverford being present when Corky threatened the girl's father--she didn't know he was a baddie until he dragged the girl away by which time it was too late. Her lie about sending the girl to live in CA did bother me.

Steve S.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

The dentist didn't bake the cake, his wife did and he poisonned it. It got re-gifted and repackaged in a box from NY's best bakery. By the time it got back to him he didn't recognize it.
Yes, she baked it, but he mixed the rat poison in with the ingredients.

Quote:
Fruitcakes last forever, and look pretty much alike and there's no telling how long it took to get back to him. One winter my stepmom made a huge fruitcake not knowing we weren't fans of the things. It languished for weeks largely uneaten until one day she poured half a bottle of Jim Beam over it-disappeared in 3 days.
Funny how that works...biggrin.gif

Quote:
I also don't remember mrs, Haverford being present when Corky threatened the girl's father--she didn't know he was a baddie until he dragged the girl away by which time it was too late.
IIRC, Corky told her previously about the incident (which is part of the reason why she agreed to take her).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

Yes, she baked it, but he mixed the rat poison in with the ingredients.

The poison was in the "sugar" topping....It was done well enough he well might not ahve known and thought this was a new cake....

I dont remember him telling ehr about the father\step-father\husband thing only that she was put to be a prositute and possibly about her husbands role......
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

The poison was in the "sugar" topping....It was done well enough he well might not ahve known and thought this was a new cake....
Would you bet your life on it?
Hard to believe the dentist would, but, oh well.biggrin.gif

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Well let's see, if we are to believe Ken Burns, folks were drunk most of time back then so they could easily make such mistakes. A friend once told me that folks drank lots of alcoholic drinks for centuries because the water couldn't be trusted.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Well let's see, if we are to believe Ken Burns, folks were drunk most of time back then so they could easily make such mistakes. A friend once told me that folks drank lots of alcoholic drinks for centuries because the water couldn't be trusted.
That is correct, and that is why Biblical characters drank wine.

Water was a death sentence.
People and animals crapped in it upstream.
No one knew to boil water first before drinking until after the Civil War.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey, people, watch or don't watch. It's all subjective. For me - and I'm a very critical viewer whose standards permit following only two or five TV dramas at any one time - the only series better than Copper currently is Boardwalk Empire. Saying that the lead or the writing isn't up to the standards of Boardwalk Empire or Deadwood is an unrealistic barrier, especially since none of the other shows that gwsat mentioned are anywhere close to those paragons, or even, in my opinion, Copper. I find the atmosphere and setting fascinating, the production values excellent, and the writing and acting very good. To each his own.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Blondie gives the little girl back to her "father" (step-father).

Husband.

Personally, I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This is one of my favorite shows now. I really love the time period and setting.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Husband.
Personally, I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit.
Oops, you're right.redface.gif

Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I wish I wasn't.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you bet your life on it?
Hard to believe the dentist would, but, oh well.biggrin.gif

If you were always hig on ether would you remember though???? I think they made a point of showing him taking a big enough hit where he couldnt perform his job on purpose......
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Technically you are both right..He passed himself off as her step-dad\father, but it was later discovered that he was actually her husband.....
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you were always hig on ether would you remember though???? I think they made a point of showing him taking a big enough hit where he couldnt perform his job on purpose......
Still....if I had tried to poison someone else I think I would remember it.tongue.gif

Quote:

Technically you are both right..He passed himself off as her step-dad\father, but it was later discovered that he was actually her husband.....
Thanx for that, I was worried I might have had a Senior Moment.biggrin.gif

Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still....if I had tried to poison someone else I think I would remember it.tongue.gif
Thanx for that, I was worried I might have had a Senior Moment.biggrin.gif

Seeing how intoxicated he got, he may remember, but not think that he was getting the same cake that he sent out, you cant worry that every cake you eat is the one you poisoned......

No worries :-) Im not sure how many people actally knew about the husband side of it since it seemed Cocoran kept it between his men when they confronted him at the cemetery.....
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

you cant worry that every cake you eat is the one you poisoned.......
I would....at least for awhile.wink.gif

Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Im not sure how many people actally knew about the husband side of it since it seemed Cocoran kept it between his men when they confronted him at the cemetery.....

Only Corcoran, his men, at least one cameraman and 1.8 million viewers. wink.gif
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I would....at least for awhile.wink.gif

... at least the ones with a powdered sugar topping would cause me to hesitate a bit.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

... at least the ones with a powdered sugar topping would cause me to hesitate a bit.

Before taking a bite: "Hmmm, now where have I seen this before?"

After taking a bite: "Oh, crap...."
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Before taking a bite: "Hmmm, now where have I seen this before?"
After taking a bite: "Oh, crap....damn ether!"
FIXED.biggrin.gif

Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I honestly hope that now that Annie has been sent off to her husband, we won't see her for a while.

I've found her character has gone from sympathetic > to brattish > worthy of being thrown down a well very quickly. The seducton thing she does around every male is obviously intended to "shock" us, but I find it makes her character look pathetic. She could have easily been written to be scheming and clever, using her sexuality to gain power over the adults around her. Instead, she's just a brat throwing herself unsuccessfully at people who want her to be an innocent little girl.

I'm so over her character.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I honestly hope that now that Annie has been sent off to her husband, we won't see her for a while.
I've found her character has gone from sympathetic > to brattish > worthy of being thrown down a well very quickly. The seducton thing she does around every male is obviously intended to "shock" us, but I find it makes her character look pathetic. She could have easily been written to be scheming and clever, using her sexuality to gain power over the adults around her. Instead, she's just a brat throwing herself unsuccessfully at people who want her to be an innocent little girl.

I could not agree with you more! Enough already.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, kids ARE brats.tongue.gif
But the bottom line is seeing a sexual activated child on screen makes me feel very uncomfortable (if you know what I mean).

Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

Unfortunately, I fear they will not let this rest. I don't think the writers will have "Corky" let it end this way.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Despite my previously expressed many reservations about the show, I really enjoyed this week's Copper. The convoluted murder mystery was interesting and its resolution very funny. As usual, the show looked and sounded great. The acting and the writing continue to set my teeth on edge but, as an earlier poster correctly observed, few TV shows achieve the quality of Deadwood or Boardwalk Empire.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:

But the bottom line is seeing a sexual activated child on screen makes me feel very uncomfortable (if you know what I mean).
Normally it would cause me discomfort, as well. However, as I said above, she just seems like some kid who is throwing a tantrum when she doesn't get here way by being charming. She just seems desperate, not vixen-like.

The discomfort her behavior gives me is that of a child making a scen in a toy store when mommy or daddy won't buy her what she wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

Unfortunately, I fear they will not let this rest. I don't think the writers will have "Corky" let it end this way.
No, I'm sure they won't.

I'm just hoping she'll at least be out of the mix for a couple of episodes.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Normally it would cause me discomfort, as well. However, as I said above, she just seems like some kid who is throwing a tantrum when she doesn't get here way by being charming. She just seems desperate, not vixen-like.
The discomfort her behavior gives me is that of a child making a scen in a toy store when mommy or daddy won't buy her what she wants.

I think thats the point though. She is a child, not a vixen. Its just that her life experience has "taught" her the only way she can relate to an adult is sexually-she thinks she's doing what is expected of her..Its a much more honest, and disturbing view of a girl in that situation than having her be some kind of seductress. Its the men that are interested in her that are evil not her.

What I find more disturbing is she now has killed two such men...rather brutally too. And doesn't seem too shook up about it. Almost seems to enjoy it..

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

You do realize that was the way of the world (in the West) until about World War I. Unfortunately (by my Western mores), it's still the way of the world in quite a few countries (e.g., Yemen).
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I love how this show doesn't drag out a mystery for 2-3 seasons. Wow. The first season's not even over and we've seen Kevin's wife return, etc.