Why can't/won't/didn't the NFL just stream it's NFL Network channel? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
some quick math...

I dont know these numbers specific but found some stuff on the web and wiki..

NFL network is approx 60million homes, let's say they get approx $.50 for the channel per subscriber.... , per month.

60,000,000 x 12 months x $.50 = $360,000,000

now there are the operating costs etc.., but there is also adverstising on top of that as well to offset the operating costs.

I also think that that $/month subscription cost might be a sliding scale # based on teh deal, the tier etc that each contract was cut with each cable provider.

but using roundball #s here, the network is potentially very profitable. I can't see the NFL making that up via web only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Watched a bit of last night's Giants/Pats game on NFL Ch., with their production. The score bug is at the bottom, seemingly a 1/4 of the way up the screen... LOWER it NFL, better yet move it to the TOP of the screen, off the field.. Mayock is becoming more and more self important... Come on Mike, take a deep breath, you don't have to talk ALL the time...
Agree on the graphics, and although Mayock is ok as a color guy ... The endless stream of "he is the most underated ... he is the best at his position .. he is the most unappreciated ... etc.." I don't need an endless stream of hyperbole thank you.
post #63 of 78 Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

The endless stream of "he is the most underated ... he is the best at his position .. he is the most unappreciated ... etc.." I don't need an endless stream of hyperbole thank you.

I think he was doing the Pittsburg/Baltimore game last year, when on consecutive possessions he said that Pittsburgh had the best linebacking core in the history of the NFL, bar none, followed by Baltimore has the hands down best linebacking core in the NFL ... PERIOD. Both times delivered with over the top, emphatic .. argue with me if you dare .. dramatic emphasis.
post #64 of 78 Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I think he was doing the Pittsburg/Baltimore game last year, when on consecutive possessions he said that Pittsburgh had the best linebacking core in the history of the NFL, bar none, followed by Baltimore has the hands down best linebacking core in the NFL ... PERIOD. Both times delivered with over the top, emphatic .. argue with me if you dare .. dramatic emphasis.

Pit didnt play bal on NFLN last year.

post #65 of 78 Old 08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
When Mayock is on is when I try to find a good internet feed of one of the radio broadcasts. Same with ESPN.
post #66 of 78 Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Pit didnt play bal on NFLN last year.
Right, after taking the time to look up the games, I'm pretty sure it was the SF/Balt game. And, of course he said that these were the two best defenses in the NFL about 72 times. Which he says about the Jets and Steelers etc... when he covers them. He has at least 9 each best defensive/offensive coordinator, head coach in the league....

The point is that Mayock is a hyperbole machine. Which gets old fast. The thing is, he is actually a pretty good commentator, he just doesn't know when to just cover the play on the feild. For some reason commentators have now decided that we have to hear something meaninglessly and subjectively irrelevant on every play.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard him just go crazy complimenting a player on a great play, when it was obvious that the player being praised didn't make the play. It just isn't necessary. Call the damn game. Don't write a freakin verbal fantasy novel.
post #67 of 78 Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh, and my new most hated cliche that seems NFL players, coaches and commentators can't seem to finish a sentence without saying ... "at the end of the day".
post #68 of 78 Old 09-02-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Oh, and my new most hated cliche that seems NFL players, coaches and commentators can't seem to finish a sentence without saying ... "at the end of the day".
Well, after all, at the end of the day... wink.gif
post #69 of 78 Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well, after all, at the end of the day... wink.gif
biggrin.gif ... well as long as you're giving %110 and taking it post by post, we'll just continue to execute and see what happens from there.
post #70 of 78 Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

some quick math...
I dont know these numbers specific but found some stuff on the web and wiki..
NFL network is approx 60million homes, let's say they get approx $.50 for the channel per subscriber.... , per month.
60,000,000 x 12 months x $.50 = $360,000,000
now there are the operating costs etc.., but there is also adverstising on top of that as well to offset the operating costs.
I also think that that $/month subscription cost might be a sliding scale # based on teh deal, the tier etc that each contract was cut with each cable provider.
but using roundball #s here, the network is potentially very profitable. I can't see the NFL making that up via web only.

I'm not sure that's actual homes or potential homes. NFLN on many systems is on a sports tier which has to be ordered separately. How many of Comcast 25 million customers are actually paying for NFLN? Also I love how these cable companies refuse to carry it for years because 50-70 cents per sub was so outrageous and unfair to charge customers but these same companies want to charge $5-$10 a month for access to NFLN when they are only paying 50 cents. That's even more outrageous to me.
post #71 of 78 Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM

I forgot for $5 a month you can stream NFL Network on your cell phone if you're a Verizon customer. So really NFLN could offer a streaming option because they sort of already do.
post #72 of 78 Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The NFL has a contract with Verizon Wireless for streaming of the MNF, SNF, TNF, NFLN and NFL Red Zone.

You can still watch the MNF games via the Watch ESPN app but Verizon is able to block the games on non Verizon smart phones and tablets.
post #73 of 78 Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I forgot for $5 a month you can stream NFL Network on your cell phone if you're a Verizon customer. So really NFLN could offer a streaming option because they sort of already do.

It isn't the same unless ISPs are going to pay to offer the service like Verizon does on mobile phones.
post #74 of 78 Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

It isn't the same unless ISPs are going to pay to offer the service like Verizon does on mobile phones.

I never claimed it was the same. I merely said they do offer some sort of a streaming option.
post #75 of 78 Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The NFL Network and NFL Red Zone are streaming live on the internet.
Like WatchESPN your TV provider has to offer the service to have access to the channels.

http://nflnonline.nfl.com/nflno/
post #76 of 78 Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

The NFL Network and NFL Red Zone are streaming live on the internet.
Like WatchESPN your TV provider has to offer the service to have access to the channels.
http://nflnonline.nfl.com/nflno/

The only provider listed in Verizon So what's that 3 million out of 100 million? Might as well be zero.
post #77 of 78 Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

They might be doing a soft launch and are starting with Verizon FiOS.
post #78 of 78 Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Odd, it looks like Cablevision's Optimum service is the only one streaming NFL Network and NFL Redzone channel.

And the FOUL!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page