Why can't/won't/didn't the NFL just stream it's NFL Network channel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don''t know if this is the right place for this, but why doesn't the NFL just stream the NFL Network online for people who wan't it(people with TWC, like myself)?

Then TWC does not have too make a deal it does not like, but if I want NFL Network, I can pay like $50-$75/year for the channel if I want it in my house, and the money goes directly too the NFL.

I am sure there is some sort of legal snafu(commercials/local commercials) that puts the kibosh on this sort of thing. I always wondered why other networks don't do the same, and say "screw you" to the Cable/satellite/tv providers, and circumvent them and get the money directly for themselves.

But why couldn't the NFL just do that? I know it is fantasy, but I always wondered why not? It just BLOWS being a TWC customer, knowing that your company, the only one standing is UNWILLING at this point too make a deal. Maybe they need to fire/get rid of the current negotiaters involved, and let fresh voices/faces handle it. I think now it is "PERSONAL" too TWC to NOT GET A DEAL DONE.

Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I feel your pain! I have wanted NFLN for a couple years now and if it wasn't for the fact that I really do love my provider I'd switch to D*. I am hopeful though, now that they worked out a deal with Cablevision there is no reason why TWC/BH can't reach a deal. It's getting down to the wire and I expect we should hear something soon. Don't lose hope! There's a link in my signature that has emails to the big guys in charge of talks. Send them a note and tell them you want a deal made this year.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #3 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm sure it has a lot to do with legal issues. It's a bummer NFL Network hasn't done what the Big 10 Network, PAC 12 Networks, or ESPN which is stream the live linear channels. I know a couple of people with DirecTV , who I would be able to access their account to watch their games for Big 10 Network action.

And the FOUL!
post #4 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

I know a couple of people with DirecTV , who I would be able to access their account to watch their games for Big 10 Network action.

Which in my state would get you 2 years in jail.
post #5 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Has anyone actually been arrested for that in Tennessee?

And the FOUL!
post #6 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Would a satellite network of just sports channels be viable? EVERY regional network available coast to coast, Big 10, Pac12, SEC, NFLN, ESPN's, all Soccer, Speed, Velocity, Outdoor, MLB, NHL, NBA, HRTV, TVG for horse racing,etc... Pay maybe $50/mo?

Quote:

I know a couple of people with DirecTV , who I would be able to access their account to watch their games for Big 10 Network action.
Tom,
Don't you have the Big 10 Network on TWC in "The Ranch"? I get it on TWC in PQ. This year I'll be watching Big 10 Network games at 9 & 10 am and Pac 12 network games at 1 & 4 pm.biggrin.gif
post #7 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Would a satellite network of just sports channels be viable? EVERY regional network available coast to coast, Big 10, Pac12, SEC, NFLN, ESPN's, all Soccer, Speed, Velocity, Outdoor, MLB, NHL, NBA, HRTV, TVG for horse racing,etc... Pay maybe $50/mo?

You would still need to do business with News Corps for FSN and FSC (and a few CFB games on FX), Time Warner for TBS (MLB) and TNT (NBA), Comcast for NBC Sports and various RSN's etc, and of course Disney for ESPN. I doubt those corps would want someone to come along and just pay for their sports channels and nothing else. If it was viable I bet D* would've done so long ago. Maybe a few bucks could be shaved off by not having any contract with Scripps, AMC, Viacom, Discovery networks and a few others.
post #8 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Same reason other networks don't want to do it.

You make more money selling to both people that want your channel and those that don't than you do only selling the channel to those that want it. That's the way the system is setup.
post #9 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The NFL is trying desperately to bring its product to more and more people yet they're actually removing access to it from more and more people every time they add new games to NFL Network and ESPN. NFLN has a full slate of games this year that millions of cable users have no access to. Good job, Goodell.
post #10 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
You lost me on the removing access part.
Even if those games didnt go to NFLN those cable people wouldnt get them anyway.
If it was a national game they now just get another game instead.
+ if its a local team they still get the game.

post #11 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Quote:

Only if they werent dating their cousin. biggrin.gif

post #12 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Tom,
Don't you have the Big 10 Network on TWC in "The Ranch"? I get it on TWC in PQ. This year I'll be watching Big 10 Network games at 9 & 10 am and Pac 12 network games at 1 & 4 pm.biggrin.gif

Oh I do have the ability to add the Time Warner Cable Sports Tier which the Big 10 Network is located in but I'm too cheap to spend the extra $7/mo and in the end I'm not really a Big 10 Conference fan to begin with.

And the FOUL!
post #13 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

You lost me on the removing access part.
Even if those games didnt go to NFLN those cable people wouldnt get them anyway.
If it was a national game they now just get another game instead.
+ if its a local team they still get the game.

Or sell the package to a basic cable/OTA channel and get the games into as many homes as possible. The NFL is going the route of exclusivity instead of being inclusive. An absolutely idiotic way to grow the viewerbase.
post #14 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Or sell the package to a basic cable/OTA channel and get the games into as many homes as possible. The NFL is going the route of exclusivity instead of being inclusive. An absolutely idiotic way to grow the viewerbase.

Why sell the package to a basic cable channel, then let them leverage it for higher carriage fees? They did that with TNT/ESPN years ago, and ESPN leveraged 8 and then 16 games into enough money to buy up any (or every) sports package available. NFL is looking for their piece of the pie now.

The only reason NFLN is having difficulty with carriage is because they are not owned by one of the larger media companies, so they have no leverage. If a new channel was started by one of the big guys (NBC, FOX, etc) exclusively to carry a one game a week package - they'd easily get what NFLN is asking and it would be on virtually all MSOs' basic tier.

As it is now, there are only a few holdout cablecos. The NFL knows they will eventually come around.
post #15 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

No. I've never known anyone to get a ticket for jaywalking either but it's on the books.
post #16 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Actually the NFL wants NFL Network on the expanded basic tiers. Cable said no. That's why it took so long to get on cable. The NFL relented and allowed cable companies to put them on a sports tier. Otherwise they wouldn't be in as many homes as they are now. So don't blame the NFL, blame cable. Cable knows what they offer on their sports tiers suck so having NFL Network on them they can get people to cough up $10 a month. Ironically Comcast offers Golf Channel and MLB Network on expanded basic. Of course Comcast owns a piece of both. Hmmmmmmmm.
post #17 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Why sell the package to a basic cable channel, then let them leverage it for higher carriage fees? They did that with TNT/ESPN years ago, and ESPN leveraged 8 and then 16 games into enough money to buy up any (or every) sports package available. NFL is looking for their piece of the pie now.
The only reason NFLN is having difficulty with carriage is because they are not owned by one of the larger media companies, so they have no leverage. If a new channel was started by one of the big guys (NBC, FOX, etc) exclusively to carry a one game a week package - they'd easily get what NFLN is asking and it would be on virtually all MSOs' basic tier.
As it is now, there are only a few holdout cablecos. The NFL knows they will eventually come around.

And those few are some of the biggest, representing millions of viewers. And the NFL thought they'd come around years ago. They haven't. I hate Time Warner, but I love that they've stood up against the NFL. Great league, but so incredibly consumer-unfriendly. Exclusive deals with Directv, exclusive deals with EA so there's only one NFL video game. They do their best to make it hard to like them.
post #18 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:

And those few are some of the biggest, representing millions of viewers. And the NFL thought they'd come around years ago. They haven't. I hate Time Warner, but I love that they've stood up against the NFL. Great league, but so incredibly consumer-unfriendly. Exclusive deals with Directv, exclusive deals with EA so there's only one NFL video game. They do their best to make it hard to like them.

I see you didn't bother to read my post. It's not the NFL's fault it's cable. The NFL wanted NFLN on expanded basic. Cable said no.
post #19 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Probably same reason HBO won't let you subscribe to hbogo only.

cable/sat cos are still the best way to distribute programming. Everybody hates them but people still pay for them and programmers know they need them. Nobody has figured out a way to disrupt that business.
post #20 of 78 Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Quote:

No. I've never known anyone to get a ticket for jaywalking either but it's on the books.

Jay-walking citations are quite common in parts of Southern California. Got one myself in Pasadena in the 90s.
post #21 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

cable/sat cos are still the best way to distribute programming. Everybody hates them but people still pay for them and programmers know they need them. Nobody has figured out a way to disrupt that business.
HBO Go is a different situation. HBO doesn't actually stream the content - the provider does. That means they have more of a vested interest in keeping that relationship with the MSO than even other channels do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Jay-walking citations are quite common in parts of Southern California. Got one myself in Pasadena in the 90s.
Well, that's California....the place that can be the birthplace of a new technology, only to later be the birthplace of a law that prohibits it...or onerous laws that effectively kill it.
post #22 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

WHA? Even if the stream is legally sent by the copyright holder?
post #23 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ironically Comcast offers Golf Channel and MLB Network on expanded basic. Of course Comcast owns a piece of both. Hmmmmmmmm.

This is why I felt that the Comcast/NBCU deal shouldn't have been approved. As a matter of fact all pay-tv providers should have had to sell off their channels to prevent this from happening.
post #24 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bet that ESPN or HBO could do it and be successful though. I think that they're big enough to break away from the current system and their product is popular enough that people would pay a lot of money for it ala carte. The trouble is those networks are owned by companies that own other channels that wouldn't be successful ala carte or online. So it won't happen anytime soon.
post #25 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Is the NFL going to finally over=expose the League??? Thursday night games all year is an incredible hardship on the teams.. Play Sunday practice Monday, mandated off day on Tuesday, maybe a walk thru on Wed and either travel or hit the hotel for the Thursday night game... The original set-up starting Thanksgiving night "run for the play-offs" was very good... The NFL Ch. to me is unwatchable
IIIIIII AMMMM RRRRIIIIIch IIIIIIISen nauseates me, the over-rated Sapp preening for the camera, him commenting on late hits is hilarious,,, Look up his late hits package, hell ask Marshall. They pitch the stars smiling, Tebow etc. 0 objectivity... I do like Andrew Siciliano, and Mike Lombardi, they are in the minority... Besides the games, the Time Warner folks aren't missing much...
post #26 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

WHA? Even if the stream is legally sent by the copyright holder?

Ok say I have Netflix. You can have up to 6 devices at a time. So say I have 5 friends and I let each of them use my Netflix account so they don't have to pay for it. Yes I can go to jail for that.
post #27 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Actually HBO is making a huge mistake. HBO is $15 in most places. So sell HBOGo for $15 a month. People are NOT going to get rid of cable or stop getting regular HBO if they sell HBOGO separately for $15 especially when cable offers it for FREE for those with HBO subscriptions. What HBO will get is people who don't have any pay TV services or who have basic cable. If someone on basic cable hasn't already upgraded to digital so they can access HBO they aren't going to and keeping HBOGO from them isn't going to force them to upgrade. It may lead them to torrent HBO shows and movies though. You think the fact that the number of people torrenting Games of Thrones is triple the actual viewership would be an epiphany to HBO, but it's not.
post #28 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Actually the NFL wants NFL Network on the expanded basic tiers. Cable said no. That's why it took so long to get on cable. The NFL relented and allowed cable companies to put them on a sports tier. Otherwise they wouldn't be in as many homes as they are now. So don't blame the NFL, blame cable. Cable knows what they offer on their sports tiers suck so having NFL Network on them they can get people to cough up $10 a month. Ironically Comcast offers Golf Channel and MLB Network on expanded basic. Of course Comcast owns a piece of both. Hmmmmmmmm.

Yeah, you're right. NFL wanted their channel on expanded basic. Why not, they get paid by subscriber to that level of subscription. So, cable then has to raise prices for everyone on expanded basic whether they care about NFL or not. NFL makes more money and it comes out of the subs pocket, not cable.

Bobby 

post #29 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Yeah, you're right. NFL wanted their channel on expanded basic. Why not, they get paid by subscriber to that level of subscription. So, cable then has to raise prices for everyone on expanded basic whether they care about NFL or not. NFL makes more money and it comes out of the subs pocket, not cable.

Well Golf Channel, MLB Network and NBC Sports are on expanded basic. So using your logic then non sports fans are paying for those too. I don't like golf why should I have to subsidize a golf lovers channel?
post #30 of 78 Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Is the NFL going to finally over=expose the League??? Thursday night games all year is an incredible hardship on the teams.. Play Sunday practice Monday, mandated off day on Tuesday, maybe a walk thru on Wed and either travel or hit the hotel for the Thursday night game... The original set-up starting Thanksgiving night "run for the play-offs" was very good... The NFL Ch. to me is unwatchable
IIIIIII AMMMM RRRRIIIIIch IIIIIIISen nauseates me, the over-rated Sapp preening for the camera, him commenting on late hits is hilarious,,, Look up his late hits package, hell ask Marshall. They pitch the stars smiling, Tebow etc. 0 objectivity... I do like Andrew Siciliano, and Mike Lombardi, they are in the minority... Besides the games, the Time Warner folks aren't missing much...

Hell, I don't even need the whole channel.

I would go for a THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PACKAGE DEAL/INTERNET STREAM for $99 for those of us on TWC, or for those who wanted those games, and not the channel, which may be on another tier.

That would be just fine with me.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page