ABC ORDERS JOSS WHEDON'S 'S.H.I.E.L.D' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/29/abc-orders-joss-whedons-s-h-i-e-l-d-pilot/?hpt=hp_bn9

This talks of Whedon's conceptual availability to produce a pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
The first question that comes to mind is - how can a TV show possibly do this justice?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sure the first of may questions.
post #4 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
How could a TV show afford the sets and CGI?confused.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

The first question that comes to mind is - how can a TV show possibly do this justice?

The S.H.I.E.L.D. agents (like Nick Fury and Maria Hill) are not super-powered. If the show is genuinely meant to focus on them, with the big-name superheroes kept in the periphery, it's easily doable on TV, and seems right up Joss Whedon's alley.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If it's on ABC, I'll definitley not watch it. Here where I live, the HD feed of WABC is still split into two stations, Live Well, which i don't watch, and the basic WABC signal. WABC used to have great audio and decent picture quality until the spring of 2009 when Disney decided to launch a worthless health network that has given them some profit to lagging ratings at ABC nationally. ABC is among the worst networks for HD shows.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

How could a TV show afford the sets and CGI?confused.gif

Think Smallville... also, not every episode has to be CGI heavy. There are lots of players in the Marvel universe that don't need heavy CGI.

Black Widow, Captain America... they can do spy/infiltration stories... I know Daredevil is still with FOX, but might be coming back to Marvel... Black Panther might be available unless he is tied to the FF license in some weird way... there are a lot of heroes and SHIELD agents that they can do stories with and not blow the budget with CGI.

Then they can have things like the pilot, cliffhanger, etc. where they spring for bigger CGI and other heroes to appear... and the cameo here and there from CGI Iron Man or CGI Hulk could be peppered in if they skimp on the CGI for other stories.

Whedon did shows with small F/X budgets (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse)... that still wowed from time to time with F/X.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #8 of 29 Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Not going to lie... I did a little dance when I saw this.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Another thing about the budget. Disney/ABC might be willing to spend a little more than the ratings would seem to justify since the series will basically be an extended trailer for the films. That brings up the risk they're taking though...What happens to the movie franchise if the series bombs?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #10 of 29 Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Not going to lie... I did a little dance when I saw this.

A happy dance, of course:)

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #11 of 29 Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hmm. Interesting. It's too bad many of the Marvel characters are tied up with other studios. So we'll never see Spider-Man or others who we've come to associate with SHIELD/NYC's base. Otherwise if they focus on the smaller, lesser known NYC based vigilantes like Power Man and Iron Fist I can see it being done.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Again, SHIELD doesn't necessarily have to be focused on the superheroes. They can focus on the agents and perhaps pull some of the superheroes in as minor cameos.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I'm ambivalent, on one hand I'm about super heroed out and, like others, wonder whether a TV show would have a budget large enough to successfully bring the S.H.I.E.L.D universe to the small screen. But on the other hand Whedon's well established creative genius makes it intriguing. Guess we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Again, SHIELD doesn't necessarily have to be focused on the superheroes. They can focus on the agents and perhaps pull some of the superheroes in as minor cameos.

The thing is, who's going to want to watch a show about superheroes without superheroes? That's the whole attraction of setting a show in the Marvel Universe. Secret agent/spy shows have been done to death.

post #15 of 29 Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

The thing is, who's going to want to watch a show about superheroes without superheroes? That's the whole attraction of setting a show in the Marvel Universe. Secret agent/spy shows have been done to death.

Y'know, that was actually my first thought when this was announced, but the more I thought about it, the fact that it's a spy show set in the Marvel Universe does open up the potential a bit. This is just speculation of course, but based on a knowledge of Whedon's past TV work, I think it's safe to guess that the show will actually focus on some sort of unit within SHIELD, with an ensemble cast of maybe 6-8 characters (I guess the question will be if those characters are pre-existing Marvel characters or if he will create new ones.) I could see that unit being assigned to take down supervillains, which would allow Marvel to dig into their archives and introduce a bunch of their second-tier villains who would otherwise not make it into the films. The lead cast could possibly also feature at least one superpowered SHIELD agent, Carol Danvers maybe?

Rocky
post #16 of 29 Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I vote they center the TV show around Agent Maria Hill and get Cobie Smulders from the movie to play her. Smulders was the hottest person in the whole Avengers movie.

And how about including the flying aircraft carrier as their homebase? It should be no more difficult to do on a TV show budget than Battlestar Galactica. They can use those shuttlecraft to drop them into the action. Or shoot some episodes centered on the interpersonal relationships of the people on the aircraft carrier. (And be sure to include the guy who was playing videogames while on duty!)

I really think with this approach, you could throw superheroes into the mix every few episodes without blowing the budget.

Duane
post #17 of 29 Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Think Smallville... also, not every episode has to be CGI heavy. There are lots of players in the Marvel universe that don't need heavy CGI.
Black Widow, Captain America... they can do spy/infiltration stories... I know Daredevil is still with FOX, but might be coming back to Marvel... Black Panther might be available unless he is tied to the FF license in some weird way... there are a lot of heroes and SHIELD agents that they can do stories with and not blow the budget with CGI.
Then they can have things like the pilot, cliffhanger, etc. where they spring for bigger CGI and other heroes to appear... and the cameo here and there from CGI Iron Man or CGI Hulk could be peppered in if they skimp on the CGI for other stories.
Whedon did shows with small F/X budgets (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse)... that still wowed from time to time with F/X.

For TV, I think Marvel controls all of their properties.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #18 of 29 Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The mediocre, animated Ultimate Spider-Man already is a SHIELD show. It does pretty much everything we're discussing, With the exception of Spider-Man, its focused around a bunch of "B" vigilantes in the Marvel U. To be honest I'm more interested in the Superhero aspect of a show than the normal secret-agent stuff. It's been done to death.

FOX's Hard Target is also a pretty good example of a comic-book based/secret agent show that's made a good transition to TV.

post #19 of 29 Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Will Nick Fury be black or white in this one?
post #20 of 29 Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
The thing I'd like to see Joss tackle, now that he's rich, finally a player, and can call his shots to a much greater degree than before, is forget this live action series and do an animated version of 'The Avengers'. Don't laugh; it could be groundbreaking.

When I was a kid I loved 'Johnny Quest' not just because of the gadgets, but because the show was aiming much higher than the other typical Saturday morning cartoons. Granted, it was still primarily a show for adolescent boys, but the realistic-looking characters and action set in a fictionalized "real world", along with more grown-up plot-lines, made it oh so very cool.

With the advances in animation technology and a relatively large budget to work with, an animated 'Avengers' would free up Joss from producer chores and allow him to do what he does best: write clever, engaging scripts the kind of which have not really been seen in the animated world. He's already got plenty of cred in the comic book/graphic novel world and could then channel most of his energy into his growing film career. With animation, budget limitations that cause other super-hero series to look cheap & chintzy wouldn't be a factor. There's literally nothing they couldn't do with that freedom.

With FX's hi-larious and often bawdy 'Archer', the ground has already been prepared for a new kind of animated series - one aimed at "kids" decades older. (The younger ones will watch too, so it needs to be as PG-13 as the series would have been.) Joss could make it happen. He's likely the only one who could.
post #21 of 29 Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There's already an animated Avengers. I don't think they will do two at the same time.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #22 of 29 Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

There's already an animated Avengers. I don't think they will do two at the same time.

Right - if Joss and his crew did one, they'd be entirely different animals. The kiddie version would go away.
post #23 of 29 Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The follow-up series starts next year so it will be a while.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #24 of 29 Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

For TV, I think Marvel controls all of their properties.

Not in live-action. I think they are pretty free to use various character "families" pretty freely in animation, like the aforementioned Ultimate Spiderman series, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't use any X-Men, Fantastic Four or Spidey characters in SHIELD.

Rocky
post #25 of 29 Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Right - if Joss and his crew did one, they'd be entirely different animals. The kiddie version would go away.

I don't find the current version of The Avengers to be "kiddie" at all, if anything I find it to be of WB's Justice League calibre. I've been enjoying it thoroughly.

post #26 of 29 Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I don't find the current version of The Avengers to be "kiddie" at all, if anything I find it to be of WB's Justice League calibre. I've been enjoying it thoroughly.

To be fair, I read that the current animated Avengers was being canceled and a new slightly more kiddie version would be replacing it... something more in the league of that Ultimate Spider-man cartoon.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #27 of 29 Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As long as Fury's a bad mo-fo, who cares what color he is.......?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #28 of 29 Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sam said his portrayal of Fury was essentially just being himself, I thought he was ok but basically very forgettable in the role, Fury needs to be depicted as the cigar chomping, rough around the edges character he was in the 60's and 70's comics.
post #29 of 29 Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just saw a trailer for this show online and during basketball finals..looks good. Too bad its on abc....worst hd broadcast network in nyc.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page