Elementary - New Sherlock Holmes on CBS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 438 Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
And now a fourth season of Sherlock confirmed...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/sherlock-fourth-season-confirmed-benedict-cumberbatch/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 438 Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

And now a fourth season of Sherlock confirmed...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/sherlock-fourth-season-confirmed-benedict-cumberbatch/
Very nice!

But in other news...
Quote:
It’s decision time for bubble shows
'The Neighbors' and 'Elementary' awaiting their fate

Another bubble show is CBS’s “Elementary,” the highly touted new Sherlock Holmes series whose ratings have been disappointing.

Yesterday CBS slated the show’s two-hour season finale for May 16 at 9 p.m. If “Elementary,” which drew huge numbers with a special post-Super Bowl episode, had gotten any sort of post-Super Bowl bump, it would have been a no brainer for renewal.

But the lack of interest in the show following the special episode indicates that its ratings may not ever grow.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/decision-time-for-broadcast-bubble-shows/
post #273 of 438 Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hmm. That's a downer. I thought maybe it was doing ok in the ratings frown.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #274 of 438 Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
So did I.
post #275 of 438 Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I thought I had seen that Elementary had already been renewed but now it appears it is on the bubble. I feel like a kid who has had his Christmas toy taken from him.
post #276 of 438 Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought I had seen that Elementary had already been renewed but now it appears it is on the bubble. I feel like a kid who has had his Christmas toy taken from him.
Nah, it's just being held on layaway. As soon as someone ponies up, you'll get it. Otherwise....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #277 of 438 Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

That site really doesn't know what it's talking about.   The Cancellation Bear (from TVByTheNumbers) has Elementary as a certain renewal, not even close to being cancelled.  http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/12/cbs-golden-boy-vegas-are-certain-to-be-canceled-but-the-3rd-drama-canceled-isnt-so-certain/172823/

CBS will most likely cancel Golden Boy, Vegas and probably CSI:NY.  CBS usually cancels 3 dramas a season.  To get to Elementary they would not only need to cancel the previous 3 but also the Good Wife and the Mentalist before getting to Elementary.

Not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be pretty confident in Elementary being picked up for another season.

Scott
post #278 of 438 Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

That site really doesn't know what it's talking about.   The Cancellation Bear (from TVByTheNumbers) has Elementary as a certain renewal, not even close to being cancelled.  http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/12/cbs-golden-boy-vegas-are-certain-to-be-canceled-but-the-3rd-drama-canceled-isnt-so-certain/172823/

CBS will most likely cancel Golden Boy, Vegas and probably CSI:NY.  CBS usually cancels 3 dramas a season.  To get to Elementary they would not only need to cancel the previous 3 but also the Good Wife and the Mentalist before getting to Elementary.

Not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be pretty confident in Elementary being picked up for another season.

It wouldn't make sense as high as the ratings are for Elementary to cancel. Never know what goes through the corporate mind, though...

post #279 of 438 Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you're right about CSI:NY. It's been floundering for a while now. The Mentalist is still doing well, despite lower recent numbers. The Good Wife isn't going anywhere. There'd be a revolt if they cancelled that.

post #280 of 438 Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The show promos on CBS still call it the #1 new show. rolleyes.gif

Of course talk is cheap.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #281 of 438 Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

The show promos on CBS still call it the #1 new show. rolleyes.gif

Of course talk is cheap.
The problem is, it's a relative scale.

If all the new shows are doing poorly, being the #1 new show still puts you below the bar for cancellation.

post #282 of 438 Old 03-16-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I liked that episode a lot except for the nonsense with the empty chest. Apparently Watson is so UNobservant that she can't tell the difference between a pencil-pushing desk-jockey lifting an empty chest and the same 90lb weakiling lifting a chest with 150lbs worth of a middle-aged woman's body in it. rolleyes.gif

I would have thought at least one person on the set would have spoken up and said, "Hey about about we throw some books and other junk in that chest so that it at least has some weight to it like it would if it had a body in it." So apparently no one, not the director, or the art director or writers or the continuity person or any of the prop handlers said anything???
post #283 of 438 Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I liked that episode a lot except for the nonsense with the empty chest. Apparently Watson is so UNobservant that she can't tell the difference between a pencil-pushing desk-jockey lifting an empty chest and the same 90lb weakiling lifting a chest with 150lbs worth of a middle-aged woman's body in it. rolleyes.gif

Amen! When I watched the guy easily move the trunk from the loading dock to his car, it was obvious that the trunk didn't have a body in it.
post #284 of 438 Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It appears I'm in the minority here, but I find this show to be mediocre at best. Johnny Lee Miller was a good choice for Holmes. But I feel they're making a huge mistake trying to turn Watson into Holmes Jr. They introduced Holmes early in the season as having deduction abilities that were nearly superpowers to having Watson be a viable candidate to replace Holmes. Another problem is that Jane Watson is a bore. The mysteries are not very believable (more along the lines of later Doyle stories), and I hate it when they throw in a bunch of clues in the last ten minutes to wrap up the case. The one good episode was the Moriarty one, and that gave me a lot of hope that the show was turning the corner. But now we have this Watson nonsense.
post #285 of 438 Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

It appears I'm in the minority here, but I find this show to be mediocre at best. Johnny Lee Miller was a good choice for Holmes. But I feel they're making a huge mistake trying to turn Watson into Holmes Jr. They introduced Holmes early in the season as having deduction abilities that were nearly superpowers to having Watson be a viable candidate to replace Holmes. Another problem is that Jane Watson is a bore. The mysteries are not very believable (more along the lines of later Doyle stories), and I hate it when they throw in a bunch of clues in the last ten minutes to wrap up the case. The one good episode was the Moriarty one, and that gave me a lot of hope that the show was turning the corner. But now we have this Watson nonsense.

You mean Joan Watson? For a detail oriented kinda guy that's not a small omission smile.gif

It's entertainment, it's way past going with the books...

post #286 of 438 Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
"Jane" Watson is the lady married to Tarzan Holmes. wink.gif
post #287 of 438 Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

.....CBS will most likely cancel Golden Boy, Vegas and probably CSI:NY.  CBS usually cancels 3 dramas a season.  To get to Elementary they would not only need to cancel the previous 3 but also the Good Wife and the Mentalist before getting to Elementary.

Damn, with the exception of GB which I watched a few times and lost interest and Vegas which I only watched the pilot, I regularly watch CSI NY, GW, Mentalist and of course Elementary. Of the ones I watch I suppose CSI NY might be the lowest priority but I really like them all.
Honestly I didn't catch how easily he moved the trunk but I guess it makes sense if he easily handled it, it would have to be empty smile.gif
post #288 of 438 Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You mean Joan Watson? For a detail oriented kinda guy that's not a small omission smile.gif

Maybe if they'd make the character more interesting I would bother to get her name right.
cocoon likes this.
post #289 of 438 Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Quote:

Maybe if they'd make the character more interesting I would bother to get her name right.

OTOH Watson wasn't always the most interesting guy either....and none of them are as nice to look at as Lucy!

post #290 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OTOH Watson wasn't always the most interesting guy either....and none of them are as nice to look at as Lucy!
John Watson didn't have to be interesting, because he wasn't the focus of the vast majority of the stories. He had a reason for being there, but it was a very limited role. After almost 20 episodes, Liu's Watson has taken up a lot of airtime without much to show in terms of character development or any kind of entertainment value. Either keep her on the sidelines, or kill her off. Have Moriarty take her out and see how Holmes deals with the repercussions. Maybe they could replace her with her underachieving, slacker sister who is the embarrassment of the family, Jenn Watson.
post #291 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Besides the trunk, they screwed up the use of the video. All digital videos have a time stamp as part of the recording. Of course, that also assumes the owner's of the camcorder bothered to set the time in the camera.

It is the fact that they didn't even bother to mention it. Then again, if they had set the time on the camera, the case would have been solved 6 months ago and it would never have gotten to be this particular episode. biggrin.gif

Gotta love how stuff is purposely left out in order to make an episode work.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #292 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
That's a relief. My lil lady was upset when I told her that. smile.gif

------

post #293 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As noted in earlier posts, I have really enjoyed Lucy Liu's Dr. Watson. Her character has been a refreshing and, to me at least, quite credible twist on the Holmes-Watson legend. When I read the few posts here that have criticized Liu's Holmes character, I wondered if their authors had been watching the same Elementary I saw and fell in love with.
post #294 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As noted in earlier posts, I have really enjoyed Lucy Liu's Dr. Watson. Her character has been a refreshing and, to me at least, quite credible twist on the Holmes-Watson legend. When I read the few posts here that have criticized Liu's Holmes character, I wondered if their authors had been watching the same Elementary I saw and fell in love with.
Exactly! I like Lucy Liu in the role as Dr. Watson and think it was a stroke of genius to make the character a woman. I also like the way she has morphed from somewhat of a caregiver into a budding investigator. But, then again, I'd watch nearly anything Lucy Liu is in. smile.gif
post #295 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Besides the trunk, they screwed up the use of the video. All digital videos have a time stamp as part of the recording. Of course, that also assumes the owner's of the camcorder bothered to set the time in the camera.

It is the fact that they didn't even bother to mention it. Then again, if they had set the time on the camera, the case would have been solved 6 months ago and it would never have gotten to be this particular episode. biggrin.gif

Gotta love how stuff is purposely left out in order to make an episode work.

First thing I turn off is the time stamp, very annoying to have a time stamp unless there's a purpose for it....like the cop car cameras or if you are documenting something. If the wife had used the camera with a time stamp there would be no case in the first place as the husband wouldn't have been able to use it as he did. Did you watch the show?

post #296 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

First thing I turn off is the time stamp, very annoying to have a time stamp unless there's a purpose for it....like the cop car cameras or if you are documenting something. If the wife had used the camera with a time stamp there would be no case in the first place as the husband wouldn't have been able to use it as he did. Did you watch the show?
I always thought that a time stamp is part of the file (especially digital video) but displaying it is an option you can choose. You might have to examine the file with another piece of hardware or software, however.

You could possibly play the video and re-record it with another capture device to create a new time stamped video, I suppose. That would depend on whether the original video is watermarked with the time stamp.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #297 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

First thing I turn off is the time stamp, very annoying to have a time stamp unless there's a purpose for it....like the cop car cameras or if you are documenting something. If the wife had used the camera with a time stamp there would be no case in the first place as the husband wouldn't have been able to use it as he did.

Turning off the option to embed the time stamp into the video while recording does not turn off the time stamp being recorded as part of the data. The time stamp is still there, you just do not see it. Upon playback, you can turn it on.
Quote:
Did you watch the show?

Did you read what I wrote? He could easily have used the video, forgetting that the time stamp is still part of the recording, which the police would have seen and closed the case not long after seeing the video (not 6 months ago, as I wrote).

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #298 of 438 Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

First thing I turn off is the time stamp, very annoying to have a time stamp unless there's a purpose for it....like the cop car cameras or if you are documenting something. If the wife had used the camera with a time stamp there would be no case in the first place as the husband wouldn't have been able to use it as he did.

Turning off the option to embed the time stamp into the video while recording does not turn off the time stamp being recorded as part of the data. The time stamp is still there, you just do not see it. Upon playback, you can turn it on.
Quote:
Did you watch the show?

Did you read what I wrote? He could easily have used the video, forgetting that the time stamp is still part of the recording, which the police would have seen and closed the case not long after seeing the video (not 6 months ago, as I wrote).

I should know better than challenge someone calling himself Mr Video. However, I'm not giving up yet! smile.gif

There is no way to translate a copy of a clip into another format for email without the time stamp? Or for the husband to manipulate the data so that it is just the video seen? Maybe the husband's as dumb video-wise as I am but maybe not wink.gif

I'm not into the medium all that much but it does disturb me that some funky time setting in the damn camera uncorrected for reality could misrepresent actual time and potentially put me in a time that isn't accurate because what is embedded in the file.

post #299 of 438 Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There is no way to translate a copy of a clip into another format for email without the time stamp? Or for the husband to manipulate the data so that it is just the video seen? Maybe the husband's as dumb video-wise as I am but maybe not wink.gif

It is possible to have the time stamp dropped if going to some other formats. It would take tools that the husband would not have, or probably not even know about, to strip the time stamp from the original video format and keep that same video format. The cops, would want to have the original source video to look for stuff like this.

What I'm waiting for is for someone to come back with another theory about the video.

Mr. Video

post #300 of 438 Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It is possible to have the time stamp dropped if going to some other formats. It would take tools that the husband would not have, or probably not even know about, to strip the time stamp from the original video format and keep that same video format. The cops, would want to have the original source video to look for stuff like this.

What I'm waiting for is for someone to come back with another theory about the video.

Does it matter at all what type of camera it was recorded on? I suppose if one entered zeros for time or used a date of 1/1/01 or similar when new then there would be no valid time stamp at all?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page