Elementary - New Sherlock Holmes on CBS - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #451 of 501 Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Terrible EQ Settings on Elementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post
Is the audio for this show extremely low for anyone else? I have to turn my volume way up to hear any of the dialog on every episode. All other CBS shows are fine so it's not an issue with my CBS affiliate.

The EQ seems to be way off and makes the speech very muffled. I noticed that it depends on the shot location. Outdoors was much better on tonight's broadcast but still not normal compared to any other show or even the commericals in tonight's show. It is almost not worth watching anymore. I hope someone from the network reads these threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 501 Old 11-14-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1780
I have some general audio issues with CBS, but only during Letterman.....don't notice Elementary to be an issue, though FWIW.....altho towards the end I was having some issues with either DirecTv reception or my dvr is showing some issue...
post #453 of 501 Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I can't think of a better show that does who dun its better than Elementary. It's a testament to its complexity that I always rewind back a couple of times at the end when things get solved cause I can never catch it all the first time around. I wish they slow it down some and not rush through it every time though
post #454 of 501 Old 11-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I find myself turning on subtitles more and more in this show, especially when Holmes is speaking.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
post #455 of 501 Old 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan2watch View Post
I find myself turning on subtitles more and more in this show, especially when Holmes is speaking.

Well ofcourse, it's the new modern Holmes, all packed together with unintelligible english
Juan2watch likes this.
post #456 of 501 Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I always have a hard time hearing Holmes. It seems as though he usually speaks softly because I can hear everyone else fine.
post #457 of 501 Old 11-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I always have a hard time hearing Holmes. It seems as though he usually speaks softly because I can hear everyone else fine.
Glad to know it's not just me!

post #458 of 501 Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I had saved up the last 2 eps and watched them yesterday. The first was dull. But Bella was a superior episode. I must say that it isn't necessary that everything gets resolved in the hour. As much as I like the series, the repetitive nature of the show has been bothering me. This was a nice change.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #459 of 501 Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'm also glad I'm not the only one cranking up the volume when Sherlock speaks, then if we have a scene like him listening to hard/trash rock the next minute and have the wife screaming to turn it down.. LOL

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #460 of 501 Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Love the show, but I've been very hit-and-miss lately. Is Liu taking a break or coming back?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #461 of 501 Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Okay, I'm confused. Did I miss an episode somewhere or was this shown out of order?

First off, I don't recall ever knowing about Gregson having a daughter on the police force.
Second, when the hell did he hit the other cop? It just starts with him sitting in a cell talking to some guy about the incident as if we had seen it happen.
post #462 of 501 Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1780
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Love the show, but I've been very hit-and-miss lately. Is Liu taking a break or coming back?
They need to tighten this show up. I was wondering the same thing, guess she's in Denmark with her boyfriend for now? When she comes back I sure hope she stops wearing the stupid shoes....they do not make her tall, or better, they simply make her look awkward (as do such shoes on most all women altho I suppose its better than the construction boot look).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Okay, I'm confused. Did I miss an episode somewhere or was this shown out of order?

First off, I don't recall ever knowing about Gregson having a daughter on the police force.
Second, when the hell did he hit the other cop? It just starts with him sitting in a cell talking to some guy about the incident as if we had seen it happen.
I had the same reaction, glad I'm not alone.
post #463 of 501 Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 AM
DDD

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Seems like a cost cutting move.
post #464 of 501 Old 11-29-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If no Watson, then I'm done...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #465 of 501 Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I'm also glad I'm not the only one cranking up the volume when Sherlock speaks, then if we have a scene like him listening to hard/trash rock the next minute and have the wife screaming to turn it down.. LOL
I watch this show with the CC on for the same reason of sometimes having a hard time understanding what Sherlock is saying...
post #466 of 501 Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I never have any issues understand/hearing any of the actors of this series.
zaphod7501 likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #467 of 501 Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Watching Masterpiece all these years has made understanding the English dialect much easier. Thick Scottish though is often is a workout, sometimes requiring the use of the replay button.
post #468 of 501 Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I really enjoyed last nights episode. The case was convoluted yet quite believable. Also the interplay between Holmes and Kitty was spot on and revealed new depths in Miller's portrayal of Holmes.
post #469 of 501 Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I didn't like Kitty at first, but now I do. I'm not sure why, either
post #470 of 501 Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I really enjoyed last nights episode. The case was convoluted yet quite believable. Also the interplay between Holmes and Kitty was spot on and revealed new depths in Miller's portrayal of Holmes.
Same here. I wasn't sure that the new triangle relationships were going to work but with each new episode, they get more interesting along with the story lines. I really enjoyed the cartography plot last week.
post #471 of 501 Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I’m honestly not sure why the writers felt they needed to shake things up so dramatically on Elementary for season three. It’s not like the show was in its fourth or fifth season or that it was getting stale. Season two ended in such a way that a natural progression that by itself provided freshness and variety was in place. Then the writers chose to entirely blow it up. This is sad, because the direction the show has gone is very mundane and not nearly as interesting as where they have already been or where they could have gone.

Introducing the character of Kitty is not a bad thing. What was a poor decision was to make her a major character, supplanting screen time for Bell and Gregson and pushing aside the Holmes/Watson relationship. Kitty would have been fine to introduce this season as a part-time character, something similar to Mycroft’s role in season two. The season could absolutely have worked with an overriding mystery with her at the centre of it. They may still do that at some point, but it will no longer have the gravitas it could have. Instead, it will now simply be dedicating a major arc of the show to a new “regular” that has done nothing but diminish the Holmes character.

Joan Watson has become as proficient as any detective out there. Granted, she was always brilliant, as evidenced by her being a top-notch surgeon in her previous life. Now Kitty is becoming rather gifted as well. This is all fine and dandy, but they are already starting to rival Holmes in terms of their usefulness and input. It’s clear that the writers have decided not to set Holmes up on some sort of awe-inspiring pedestal. That’s fine, but only to a point. Holmes must for the sake of the character and the show, remain by far the most brilliant man in the room, and by no small degree.

Frankly, I’d love to see a two, or even three part episode come up where Watson and the NYPD think they have solved a case. I want them to be so certain of it that they actually push back against Holmes continuing his investigation. Maybe even Kitty starts to question Holmes, confronting him once again with her psychoanalysis of him as she is want to do so far in this show, listing for him the reasons he just can’t admit that others were right and he is wrong or that others are able to make-do without him. Then, about the time when things are going to completely blow up because Holmes isn’t backing off, the other shoe drops and Holmes is revealed to be the only one who was right all along.

I don’t really expect that the writers will do that, but it is going to take something that drastic to reestablish Holmes as the apex intellect. The others have already risen so high as to be too close to Holmes for there to be much distinction.

This show needs to right the ship in a hurry. Fans and viewers are starting to abandon the ship in droves. They need to bring back the engaging Watson/Holmes dynamic that is at the heart of every meaningful Holmes interpretation. They need to reestablish Holmes as being genuinely unique, functioning at a level so far above the others as to make him a man without real peer. And they need to build off of what they already have in place for future developments, rather than trying to completely reimage the show. So many threads and opportunities have been dropped now, that it is just maddening.
gprace, John dhein and lovinthehd like this.
post #472 of 501 Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Same here. I wasn't sure that the new triangle relationships were going to work but with each new episode, they get more interesting along with the story lines. I really enjoyed the cartography plot last week.
I agree that adding Kitty was a good thing. Ophelia Lovibond (who has one of my favorite names, by the way ) has been excellent as Kitty. As do you, I like the triangle relationship. In short, I didn't just think that adding Kitty as a major character was not a mistake, I thought it was an excellent idea that has improved the show. Lovibond, although young, has the same combination of good looks, charm and edginess that Lucy Liu provides.
post #473 of 501 Old 12-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm wondering whether the character of Kitty was introduced as a possible pre-emptive strike aimed at Lucy Liu should she consider making any salary demands in line with her character's increasing importance. Heck, they even sent her character off to "Denmark" for an episode. Denmark?

Last edited by Maccur; 12-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.
post #474 of 501 Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I appreciate they "moved on" before they were forced to in fear of being canceled. Over time life evolves and too many shows remain stuck in a time warp and become really stale. Heck let Sherlock return to England for a season and let's see how the gals get along. Or perhaps they have to solve his murder. The one that solves the mystery becomes the new lead.
post #475 of 501 Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I appreciate they "moved on" before they were forced to in fear of being canceled. Over time life evolves and too many shows remain stuck in a time warp and become really stale. Heck let Sherlock return to England for a season and let's see how the gals get along. Or perhaps they have to solve his murder. The one that solves the mystery becomes the new lead.
Well, the show already has a lucrative syndication deal in place, so it isn't getting cancelled before the end of next season. That said, I hope the show improves again before it finally comes to that. I'd rather see the show go out on its own terms rather than limping to a lame finish.
post #476 of 501 Old 12-12-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Really enjoyed last night's show. The "cleaner" story line was good as was Holmes delving into Watson's love life. The closing scene, of course made us wonder about exactly who was coming to dinner, old beau or new beau.
gwsat likes this.
post #477 of 501 Old 12-12-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Really enjoyed last night's show. The "cleaner" story line was good as was Holmes delving into Watson's love life. The closing scene, of course made us wonder about exactly who was coming to dinner, old beau or new beau.
I agree that this week's show was a lot of fun. The tactless Sherlock, typically, made a mess of telling Watson why she avoids serious relationships but he was clearly speaking in what he believed to be Watson's best interests. I think she understood that after a while.

I continue to love little Kitty. Following her relationship with Sherlock has been a lot of fun too.
Cal1981 likes this.
post #478 of 501 Old 12-15-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post
I'm wondering whether the character of Kitty was introduced as a possible pre-emptive strike aimed at Lucy Liu should she consider making any salary demands in line with her character's increasing importance. Heck, they even sent her character off to "Denmark" for an episode. Denmark?
I wondered if Lucy is too busy or wanting to get away a little more? I hope not, and I haven't looked into it either
post #479 of 501 Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Nor have I but I'd miss her for sure. Not that I don't like the new girl but Lucy had a great chemistry with Sherlock.
post #480 of 501 Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I like the Kitty character too--her addition to the show was a surprise. I was put-off a bit at first, but she grew on me, and then it occurred to me...she's doomed. They've gotten us emotionally invested in her, and eventually she'll end up being a murder case that Sherlock has to solve...and then I'll be mad/sad and probably go get high with Sherlock...sigh

let's hope not.

thread closed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page