"American Horror Story: Asylum" on FX HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 227 Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
He was a pretty nasty bastard in LA Confidential.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 227 Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I enjoyed the cold open more than the episode this week. Even if it did portray Adam Levine as some kind of one-armed knifeproof super boyfriend.

I thought a lot of this week was very stagey and it didn't flow together very well at all. It seemed to be more of a sequence of theatrical vignettes rotating through the main characters.

I liked the emphasis on Arden and his mad science. Bloody face is looking to be more and more like one of his experiments. Maybe a character that looks currently human but will later be transformed into a disfigured super-killing machine by one of his government-sanctioned experiments to create a supersoldier to fight the Red Menace. Possibly Kit, just to be ironic.

post #93 of 227 Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Maybe the "things" in the woods are going to link back to the space ship aliens from episode 1 vindicating the guy. Wouldn't that just be something!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #94 of 227 Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Awesome again. Can't wait to read the postings tongue.gif

Shelly frown.gif
post #95 of 227 Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It was mostly a "transitional" episode. Not a lot happened, but it definitely set up many conflicts to be resolved later in the season.
post #96 of 227 Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. It was a little tame/slow compared to the normal action-packed episodes.
post #97 of 227 Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I concur with the above.

Cromwell has the best character IMO, so more time with him is welcome even if I did expect him to be a nazi war criminal. His flashback face was amazing, I couldn't tell if it was CGI or a different actor with prosthetics or something. Not caring at all about the reporter now and her inclusion is becoming merely to point out the excessively radical treatment of gays in the 60's. She needs to get back into the story of uncovering the insanity of the place.

The Anne Frank storyline I thought was quite hokey when the episode began but after awhile I kind of bought it. It did lead to a good last five minutes.

post #98 of 227 Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The Anne Frank storyline I thought was quite hokey when the episode began but after awhile I kind of bought it.

It strikes me as being in bad taste. The rest of the show is certainly over-the-top, and it could end up a delusion on the part of the character, but if it's not then I suspect they're going to get a lot of letters.

CW Hinkle
post #99 of 227 Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The Anne Frank storyline I thought was quite hokey when the episode began but after awhile I kind of bought it.
It strikes me as being in bad taste. The rest of the show is certainly over-the-top, and it could end up a delusion on the part of the character, but if it's not then I suspect they're going to get a lot of letters.

I can live with it since that character is not a main player and probably gone soon. However I am now half-expecting Arden to be Mengele and that would be pushing all the wrong buttons.

post #100 of 227 Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From the EW interview with Murphy. They are not kidding, Cromwell's son is the spitting image of him!

Nov 8 2012 02:01 AM ET

'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy on the arrival of Anne Frank to the 'Asylum' -- EXCLUSIVE

by Tim Stack

Who even decided to bring Anne Frank into this?
We have a great writing staff but I will take credit for that. One of the things we’ve done on the show is we take historical figures—last year was the Black Dahlia and this year is Anne Frank. The Black Dahlia particularly was a case that was never solved so we solved that case in our way. The Anne Frank thing was always interesting to me because after the war, much like the Anastasia case, there were many women who came forward after that diary and said, “Well I’m the real Anne Frank,” and they were struck down. Many of them were found to be mentally ill and suffering from schizophrenia, so I read about those cases.

Before we even wrote one word of it, I thought there was sort of only one actress I was interested in playing Anne Frank and that was Franka. So I brought her in and said “I’m gonna write this for you and would you do it.” And we had no script because we were very early on in the season. She loved the story and I sorta swore her to secrecy and God bless her heart she had like five months without telling anybody. I love how it came together.

Where did you find the younger version of James Cromwell?
That’s his son! When we were casting that part, James said, “Well you have to f—ing cast my son—he looks just like me.” He walked in and indeed he did. We cast him on the spot. You can’t beat the synchronicity and luck of that. James’ son looks exactly like him at that age. It was perfect.

full interview: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/08/american-horror-story-ryan-murphy-anne-frank/

post #101 of 227 Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

VisionOn,

Thanks for the posting! Good read.
post #102 of 227 Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Kirk and Michael Douglas are also spitting images of each other from when Kirk was Michael's age. They could easily play older/younger versions of each other.

Younger Kirk:

Michael:
post #103 of 227 Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think that was the first episode I almost hated. It was as if the director had just discovered the room where the camera equipment was kept and decided to use everything for no real reason at all. So we had split diopters, fish eye lenses, forced perspective, camera cranes ... oh boy, did he love the camera crane. That thing was flipping and zooming all over and the zoom in to the roof of the car was an exceptionally pointless use since the transition wasn't even close to being seamless.

Not to mention the really atrocious use of music (and theremin overdose) and the flashbacks with the weird 60's home movie (or poorly transmitted television broadcast) filter. That added nothing, except to make me wonder as to why it was being used.

Which was also the same reaction I had as to why the director was bludgeoning the audience with Arden's wolf's head (sword?) cane. Jeez I saw it the first three times you had it in focus, I get it, it's a wolf's head cane which probably has nazi connections. I didn't need a close-up of it in every scene Arden was in this week. rolleyes.gif

So we now know that bloody face is the sympathetic shrink who lives in a house with very large rooms and a very deep basement. To be honest when they started throwing out the red herrings a few weeks ago I wondered if the show was going to pull a Nightbreed, and they did. I wonder if the connection was intentional.

The last five minutes saved this episode with that revelation. I just hope they don't use that director again.

post #104 of 227 Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Boy last night's episode (11-14) took a right turn.....
post #105 of 227 Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I think that was the first episode I almost hated..

Yeah, it wasn't all that great. I expected way more due to RM's Tweet.
BlcHp.png

Having said that, it was still a good episode. Just not "the best of the series."

The 1960's home video flash backs were confusing for me. Especially at the end after her lobotomy. Boy did the noise of the lobotomy make me cringe eek.gif

Poor Shelly though.

JL is such a good actress in this show. Loved her last night.

Looking forward to next week's episode, where they take things.
post #106 of 227 Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

FX’s ‘American Horror Story’ Renewed For Third Installment; Jessica Lange To Return
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday, November 15, 2012 @ 10:18am PST
xb7Fk.jpg
FX has picked up a third installment of its horror anthology franchise American Horror Story with a 13-episode order. Production of the untitled new cycle of AHS will begin next summer and premiere in the fall of 2013. FX and AHS creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk’s are keeping mum on details about the next incarnation but announced that, like was the case with American Horror Story and American Horror Story: Asylum, many of the actors will return in different roles next year, including star Jessica Lange.

The news comes with Season 2, American Horror Story: Asylum, still on the air, headed to its conclusion on January 23. It has been a formidable demo force in the Wednesday 10 PM time period, with last night’s episode topping all broadcast networks in Adults 18-34 (2.1). Vs. last week, AHS: Asylum was up 30% in Adults 18-34 and 9% in Adults 18-49. “With American Horror Story: Asylum, Ryan and Brad have raised the bar in every way from Murder House, the first American Horror Story miniseries,” said FX president John Landgraf.

Lange won Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and Emmy awards for her role as Constance Langdon in 20th Century Fox TV-produced American Horror Story. Starring as Sister Jude in AHS: Asylum, Lange will be moving to the Lead Actress category in the Golden Globe and Emmy awards this year, FX said.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/fxs-american-horror-story-renewed-for-third-installment/
post #107 of 227 Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
@VisionOn: while I appreciate what you're saying about the camera work, it didn't bother me as much as it did you. In fact, I really enjoyed this episode. My take on the "home movie" look was that it signaled Charlotte's crazed state of mind. So that, at the end, in her post-surgical blandness, that one brief callback to it suggested, at least to me, that the lobotomy didn't fully take.
post #108 of 227 Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

@VisionOn: while I appreciate what you're saying about the camera work, it didn't bother me as much as it did you. In fact, I really enjoyed this episode. My take on the "home movie" look was that it signaled Charlotte's crazed state of mind. So that, at the end, in her post-surgical blandness, that one brief callback to it suggested, at least to me, that the lobotomy didn't fully take.

Pretty much agree with the above. The camera work didn't bother me either. Like you I thought it matched her state of mind.

Good news hearing about the 3rd season and Lange returning.
post #109 of 227 Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I really like seeing the same people recast each season to very different roles, hopefully they keep this up on a pretty big scale. Wasn't sure I would like it, but it is kinda unique and fun.
post #110 of 227 Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Good episode last night. Shocking stuff!

Too bad the Nazi Hunter is dead frown.gif
post #111 of 227 Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

This show is always on my mind. A++
It's like I have crushes on all the females of the cast. lol

iHwUp.gif
post #112 of 227 Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Between this and The Walking Dead basic cable is now the cutting edge for horror I think. I can't remember how long its been that I've seen 2 horror movies in a week as good as the episodes of WD +AHS are... And since both shows are trouncing the broadcast networks in the age groups advertisers love we are sure to get a glut of horror in the next year or two on the Big 4... course most of it will be terrible. smile.gif

post #113 of 227 Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tonight!!
post #114 of 227 Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

wow. That was spectacular. Don't want to type too much because of the "preview".

Sad episode, but very well done.
post #115 of 227 Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I really liked this episode, sad to see some of the characters go, but with this setting there can always be new ones to replace them.....
post #116 of 227 Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We only lost Kit's girlfriend and to me she always seemed to be disposable. I was hoping Jessica Lange would get killed off. Since leaving the asylum her story appears to have run it's course. Maybe next week the father of the girl she hit will kill her.

Sad to see Lana escape from Bloody Face and then end up back in Briarcliffe minutes later. Her character has very little to do there apart from look nervous. At least when she was in danger she had more to fight against and Bloody Face is a lot more scary than what's happening at Briarcliffe at the moment.

Next week we see Ian McShane take his turn. Honestly the idea of a "AHS: Christmas Special" sounds utterly stupid even for this show, and this show features nazis and aliens, but maybe they can give the episode a spin that doesn't make it appear completely out of place and shamelessly dropped in just for holiday viewing figures.

At least Moira came back. I would rather have had hot Moira though. wink.gif

post #117 of 227 Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Next week we see Ian McShane take his turn. Honestly the idea of a "AHS: Christmas Special" sounds utterly stupid even for this show, and this show features nazis and aliens, but maybe they can give the episode a spin that doesn't make it appear completely out of place and shamelessly dropped in just for holiday viewing figures.

Seeing Santa in the preview made me think of Robot Chicken. smile.gif

post #118 of 227 Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least Moira came back. I would rather have had hot Moira though. wink.gif

Ha. Yeah, it was nice to see her back.
post #119 of 227 Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Speaking of JL leaving the asylum: a couple of episodes back I thought the Doc kicked her out and she left. Then last week she was back (in habit), and then left again? A little confused here...

Anyway, understatement of the year: "I stopped the bleeding, but he's gonna need some stitches." biggrin.gif
post #120 of 227 Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Good episode last night.

One of the most horrific "Christmas specials" I've ever seen tongue.gif

I knew Dr. Arden was leading her into a trap. I was like... don't fall for it! What a story about the history behind those ruby earrings. I'm sure people actually did stuff like that back in those terrible times.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page