"American Horror Story: Asylum" on FX HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 227 Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346

"Set in 1964, American Horror Story: Asylum stars Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Zachary Quinto, James Cromwell, and Joseph Fiennes. Principal photography on the new minseries began on July 17 and it premieres on FX in October.

"When we launched the show last year, we kept quiet about the closed-ended nature of the show because we didn't want to tip off the audience that the characters were not going to survive," explained co-creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy. "Now that it has been established that each year is a closed-ended story, the time seemed right to reveal what we're calling the new installment.

"We picked 'Asylum' because it not only describes the setting - an insane asylum run by Jessica Lange's character which was formerly a tuberculosis ward - but also signifies a place of haven for the unloved and the unwanted. This year's theme is about sanity and tackling real life horrors."

Jessica Lange as Sister Jude
Sarah Paulson as Lana
Evan Peters as Kit
Lily Rabe as Sister Eunice
Zachary Quinto as Dr. Thredson
James Cromwell as Dr. Arden
Joseph Fiennes as Monsignor Timothy O'Hara

http://www.ahsasylum.com/

Premiere: Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 10 p.m. ET/PT

Technically it's season two, but given that it's a completely different story and set of characters it's officially "American Horror Story: Asylum" and we can assume from that all future seasons will be given thematic titles; possibly based on the story locations.

Huge feature in this week's Entertainment Weekly, but if you don't want to spoil the weird surprises in store it's best avoided. I made the mistake of just glancing across the page and already I'm regretting it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 227 Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Cool! Looking forward to this one.

Thanks for making the thread biggrin.gif
post #3 of 227 Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One thing I didn't mention is that Adam Levine (of Maroon 5 and music-based reality television) has a recurring role.

Since I really cannot stand Maroon 5, that news isn't exactly a high point for me. Maybe he won't be as bad as the music.

post #4 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Looking forward to the show but not looking forward to Adam in it, not a fan of his, but we will see how he does.

post #5 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Lots of time these musicians-turned-actors will surprise you. Case in point: all the rap stars who have made a successful transition to acting. They usually play tough guys, which is admittedly playing to their strengths, but that doesn't mean they don't give convincing performances. Look at Common currently starring on AMC's terrific 'Hell on Wheels' for just the latest example. Some of you may have seen the front gal for Garbage, Shirley Manson, hit it out of the park on a really good little sci-fi show from a few years back - 'Terminator: SCC'.

So don't count out Levine yet. He may be better than you think as an actor, his songwriting and singing abilities notwithstanding.
post #6 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Lots of time these musicians-turned-actors will surprise you. Case in point: all the rap stars who have made a successful transition to acting. They usually play tough guys, which is admittedly playing to their strengths, but that doesn't mean they don't give convincing performances. Look at Common currently starring on AMC's terrific 'Hell on Wheels' for just the latest example. Some of you may have seen the front gal for Garbage, Shirley Manson, hit it out of the park on a really good little sci-fi show from a few years back - 'Terminator: SCC'.

You must have really small parks where you live because to this day I still think Manson was terrible, and I'm not alone. Her lack of acting gigs speaks volumes as to how well received she was.

As for rap stars - especially the "gangstas" - their careers are more finite than other musicians, so they jump on the first opportunity to keep making money. They can only go far talking about being an OG and bustin' caps before their youth audience starts realizing they spend most of the time talking to agents and shopping for furniture. Even worse if they start to settle down.

That's why in addition to people like Common and Mos Def you get 50 Cent jumping on every opportunity even though they he has no actual talent apart from hiring good managers.

Usually the more varied the musical performer, the more competent the actor, but that's not always the case.

post #7 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You must have really small parks where you live because to this day I still think Manson was terrible, and I'm not alone. Her lack of acting gigs speaks volumes as to how well received she was.

I thought she played that particular role quite well. And I'm not alone, either. As to why she's not still acting, I understand her band is touring again. Maybe that's her first love.
post #8 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

As for rap stars - especially the "gangstas" - their careers are more finite than other musicians, so they jump on the first opportunity to keep making money. They can only go far talking about being an OG and bustin' caps before their youth audience starts realizing they spend most of the time talking to agents and shopping for furniture. Even worse if they start to settle down.
That's why in addition to people like Common and Mos Def you get 50 Cent jumping on every opportunity even though they he has no actual talent apart from hiring good managers.
Usually the more varied the musical performer, the more competent the actor, but that's not always the case.

Of course then again everyone is allowed thier own opinion, but saying they "jump" at every opportunity, is stretching it, unless you know these artists personally (or thier management team)......your view it seems is greatly skewed so I am going to leave it at that.....If people got past the biased opinions based on the music, they might be impressed (especially when the artist is more diversivied then one believes).......

I may not be a huge fan of Maroon 5, but I'll give almost anyone a shot, otherwise we would get the same old recycled people on TV\movies over and over again
post #9 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Eldris Elba, who played Stringer Bell in the Wire and now appears in BBC's Luther, started out as a club DJ. Who knew, right? I didn't even know he's British.

All in all, I'd say singers/rappers turned actors do better than the reverse.
post #10 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Of course then again everyone is allowed thier own opinion, but saying they "jump" at every opportunity, is stretching it, unless you know these artists personally (or thier management team)......your view it seems is greatly skewed so I am going to leave it at that.....If people got past the biased opinions based on the music, they might be impressed (especially when the artist is more diversivied then one believes).......

Nothing biased about it. The track record of the majority of rap stars once their recording career starts to tail off is almost the same, even for those I like. Redundant clothing lines and fashion businesses, generic acting roles in movies of dubious quality, dropping their brand on spurious products like Beats by Monster Dr Dre. etc etc. Who can forget the classics like Snoop Dogg presents Girls Gone Wild, Sticky Fingaz in Blade the TV series or Xzibit in well, anything? Even Common who is putting in a solid performance on Hell on Wheels has been accused of selling out for jumping into ads by Gap, amongst other things.

Like I said above, the more versatile the performer the more likely they are to impress at other things. For the majority of rappers that musical ability is one skill and when they start acting it becomes apparent they have no flexibility beyond playing the same character that they do on record.

When you get to general singer/songwriters and musicians the track record is just as bad, but at least they can ignore trying to branch out and go back to recording songs without having to aim at a specific image and youth demo. Adam Levine might turn out to be another Tom Petty or he could be another Hugh Dillon (I didn't even realize it was him on Flashpoint until halfway through the first season), but the fact I really don't like Maroon 5 already puts him on my thumbs down list.

post #11 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I thought she played that particular role quite well. And I'm not alone, either. As to why she's not still acting, I understand her band is touring again. Maybe that's her first love.

When TSCC started Manson said she was quitting music for acting and that clearly didn't pan out. Recording and touring doesn't stop other musician actors from doing both if they want to. Manson recorded a track specifically for TSCC while she was on the show.

post #12 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mos Def and Common have trained to be actors, and Mos Def was on a lot of shows before his rap career unlike 50 cent crap.
post #13 of 227 Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Just to be PC, Toby Keith and Randy Travis can't act either. Liked Willie Nelson in "Thief" though...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #14 of 227 Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wait, so actors are returning, but playing different roles? That's weird.
post #15 of 227 Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Yes, thats been known for some time now....Each season is supposed to be its own "closed" story....It may be wierd, but I think it could work.....
post #16 of 227 Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Yes, thats been known for some time now....Each season is supposed to be its own "closed" story....It may be wierd, but I think it could work.....

Shows how much I've been following this. LOL
post #17 of 227 Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

That's probably the least weird thing about the show...
post #18 of 227 Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing biased about it. The track record of the majority of rap stars once their recording career starts to tail off is almost the same, even for those I like. Redundant clothing lines and fashion businesses, generic acting roles in movies of dubious quality, dropping their brand on spurious products like Beats by Monster Dr Dre. etc etc. Who can forget the classics like Snoop Dogg presents Girls Gone Wild, Sticky Fingaz in Blade the TV series or Xzibit in well, anything? Even Common who is putting in a solid performance on Hell on Wheels has been accused of selling out for jumping into ads by Gap, amongst other things.
Like I said above, the more versatile the performer the more likely they are to impress at other things. For the majority of rappers that musical ability is one skill and when they start acting it becomes apparent they have no flexibility beyond playing the same character that they do on record.
When you get to general singer/songwriters and musicians the track record is just as bad, but at least they can ignore trying to branch out and go back to recording songs without having to aim at a specific image and youth demo. Adam Levine might turn out to be another Tom Petty or he could be another Hugh Dillon (I didn't even realize it was him on Flashpoint until halfway through the first season), but the fact I really don't like Maroon 5 already puts him on my thumbs down list.
Well Since you Bring up Common, the "sell out" was short lived, he has had a long enough career to back almost whatever he does....I dont blame them, for tryiing to branch out, the music industry is NOT what it was 20-30 years ago, heck even 10 years ago.....Kids these days are very much on the flavor the the week\month and have grown up with very shor attention spans. Thats why you see so many atheletes, music performers, ect "branching out" to expand not olny thier brand but also try to make as much money as possible while they can. 50 Cent is an exception to the rule as he has been quite successful on the business end and continues to try to expand his brand (he hasnt put an album out in a few years). Hes followed in the steps of Sean Combs and Jay-Z realizing that there is more money elsewhere outside of music once you become "brandable".....

I agree that for a number rappers they have chosen poorly, but these days "street cred" is much less important and the rap industry has switched over to "bubble gum" rap and "flashy\money rap" which is what sells the most records and gets the most spins....The "street" rappers dont seel much at all and have a VERY short lifespan (career wise)....

So that we dont get too far off topic Ill end my response with this (as I said before) regardless of how much I hate the musician Ill give them a chance with a show I know I like already. I will not let my biased beliefs influence my liking of a show or thier performance.....I can only hope the Adam does a good job on the show......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

Mos Def and Common have trained to be actors, and Mos Def was on a lot of shows before his rap career unlike 50 cent crap.
post #19 of 227 Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
Ian McShane Joins 'American Horror Story: Asylum'
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com - Oct. 10, 2012
Watch out, Jessica Lange; Blackbeard is coming for you.
Ian McShane, who played the infamous pirate Blackbeard in last year's "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," has signed on for the upcoming season of FX's creep-tastic drama "American Horror Story: Asylum."

"American Horror Story" co-creator Ryan Murphy broke the news on his Twitter account Monday, saying that McShane will "tussle" with Jessica Lange's Sister Jude character.

"Guess who's coming to #AmericanHorrorStory Asylum to tussle with Jessica Lange?" Murphy wrote. "Legendary Golden Globe winner Ian McShane!" (McShane won a best actor Golden Globe in 2004 for the HBO series "Deadwood.")

Additional details about McShane's character, or when he'll appear on the show -- which premieres Oct. 17 -- were not immediately available. A spokesman for FX has not yet responded to TheWrap's request for comment.

The second season of "American Horror Story" has added an impressive roster of actors for its second season to perform alongside the returning cast members from the first season. "Breaking Bad" star Mark Margolis, James Cromwell and Chloe Sevigny.
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/pirates-caribbean-star-ian-mcshane-joins-american-horror-story-asylum-60196

You can tell who this article is aimed at when the first reference that comes to the author's mind regarding McShane is Blackbeard. I've seen the movie and didn't even remember he was in it. Whereas anyone who has seen Deadwood never forgets Al Swearengen.

Be cool if they later bring in Keone Young, to play opposite McShane. smile.gif

post #20 of 227 Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Next week! Can't wait for this. Hopefully it leads strong like season 1.
post #21 of 227 Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bumping this thread for people who may have forgotten the madness begins tonight.

Which until about five minutes ago, was me.

Early review indications say that it's just as insane and freaky as last year.

post #22 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

post #23 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can tell who this article is aimed at when the first reference that comes to the author's mind regarding McShane is Blackbeard. I've seen the movie and didn't even remember he was in it. Whereas anyone who has seen Deadwood never forgets Al Swearengen.
I think the author was trying to reference is latest work to remind people that he's done more than one role in his career. While we might remember him most from Deadwood, it would be bad form for the media to constantly ignore the rest of his resume, especially when his latest project is being part of a big budget movie.
post #24 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait! I'll be checking-in for the premier biggrin.gif
post #25 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

For those of you that record this show, make sure you have updated the recording for the new season. The New Season will be labeled as "American Horror Story: Asylum" which will mean the old season recordings wont work for it. I saw this posted on their Facebook page and even though I usually check, Im glad I updated as it would have probably missed this weeks episode....
post #26 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For those of you that record this show, make sure you have updated the recording for the new season. The New Season will be labeled as "American Horror Story: Asylum" which will mean the old season recordings wont work for it. I saw this posted on their Facebook page and even though I usually check, Im glad I updated as it would have probably missed this weeks episode....
Yeah, I noticed that on my system. That's the only bad side of this type of show, where it's name changes as the series progresses.
post #27 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh my! eek.gif

Tremendous season premier. Loved it.
post #28 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i really enjoyed it as well. I was worried when adam levine started out the show with his acting but it progressed nicely. I think the setting really works in the shows favor. Lange was solid as usual though some of the dialogue between her and the Dr. was a little comical

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #29 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked it, but it feels too "been there, done that" with these "looney bin" horror stories. particularly, the historical story feels a bit too much like that of the back story in the remake of "The House on Haunted Hill".
post #30 of 227 Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well that certainly continues the precedent set by the previous season. In the first five minutes there was an anal sex reference, an oral sex scene and then an arm being ripped off.

I was more intrigued by the aliens however. I knew that element might feature but I thought keeping it as an ambiguous aspect of a serial killer was a plausible way out. Then the X-files spider chip ran off! Okay then.

Interesting times ahead that's for sure.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page