Doctor Who Season 7 Premiere on BBC America - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 351 Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I haven't been too thrilled by the Moffat Who either, but I did think last year was better than the year before. Faint praise, I know, since I pretty much hated the whole River storyline. But stop watching? That never even crossed my mind. Something as good as Angels Take Manhatten makes me forgive a lot of sins. I also thought Day of the Doctor was brilliant, and I'm willing to put up with a lot of nonsense for episodes like those two. But that's just me, I can understand giving up on the show. Its been very uneven, to put it mildly.
Nayan likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 351 Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

... But the regeneration into the new Peter Capaldi Doctor.... the way they got around the regeneration limitation was because the Matt Smith Doctor said to heck with the rules? Or the Time Lords wrote new rules from a different universe that were effective in this universe? ... Matt Smith deserved a better send-off. frown.gif
Not disputing the cornucopia of messiness*, but did the Time Lords rewrite the rules, or did they take some regeneration(s?) from another Time Lord and give it (them) to the Doctor? Or siphoned off some energy from one? I thought something like that happened before to the Master or Donna or his Daughter or someone?

v/r,
C-F

* Sorry for mixing holidays...
post #333 of 351 Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Amy and Clara on the same episode, I almost died of joy... oh well the new Doctor really sucks, bit too old and weird, I don't like the casting, I thought it was going to be another actor..

Also Jenna-Louise dropped Louise from her name... what was that?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #334 of 351 Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
My 14 year old was bawling at the end and really lost it when Amy appeared. It was touching. The Nerdist had a video of Easter Eggs from the episode and one of them was that both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were actually bald and wearing wigs when filming the show due to other projects.
post #335 of 351 Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

My 14 year old was bawling at the end and really lost it when Amy appeared. It was touching. The Nerdist had a video of Easter Eggs from the episode and one of them was that both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were actually bald and wearing wigs when filming the show due to other projects.

Smith looks okay bald. Gillan with no red locks should be a crime.

post #336 of 351 Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
Smith said Doctor #10 regenerated twice, due to vanity issues. I assume they meant the Tenant doctor. When did he regenerate? or is that a reference to his arm getting cut off and it regenerated or was that a reference due to the time it took for the Tennant doctor to finally regenerate after he was exposed to lethal radiation in the End of Time?

Voyager6
post #337 of 351 Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52

It was the arm getting cut off-and nearly dying because of it. He used up a regeneration cycle, which, as we discovered here, left only one remaining.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #338 of 351 Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

It was the arm getting cut off-and nearly dying because of it. He used up a regeneration cycle, which, as we discovered here, left only one remaining.

Convenient, Revisionist history, of course. I believe the original explanation in the (original) episode was that he used 'a bit of left over regenerative energy' which was available since he hadn't fully completed the regeneration from #9 to #10.

In any case, the whole point of the exercise was to RETCON the 12 regeneration limit once and for all. wink.gif It's DW, don't expect anything resembling "continuity." biggrin.gif

PS: It was just a hand, not an entire arm.
post #339 of 351 Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think it was the "Doctor Donna" episode where Ms. Noble takes on Davros with second half human Tennant Doctor. that used up an additional regeneration? Or does that one not count
post #340 of 351 Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post

Quote:

I think it was the "Doctor Donna" episode where Ms. Noble takes on Davros with second half human Tennant Doctor. that used up an additional regeneration? Or does that one not count

I recalled that after I posted, but didn'twant to edit it until I found out more...I think I melded two sepparate episodes together involving his regeneration energy (in the hand, not arm) being used on 2 different occasions. Either way, it's usage counted as a generation, making Smith the 12 incarnation as established here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Quote:

Convenient, Revisionist history, of course. I believe the original explanation in the (original) episode was that he used 'a bit of left over regenerative energy' which was available since he hadn't fully completed the regeneration from #9 to #10.

In any case, the whole point of the exercise was to RETCON the 12 regeneration limit once and for all. wink.gif It's DW, don't expect anything resembling "continuity." biggrin.gif

PS: It was just a hand, not an entire arm.

Well, it's not technically a recon of the regeneration limit. The Master-back in the old series, extended his life beyond the 12 regen limit, and the Time Lords (the hierarchy, not individually) have had the technology to do so. But for reasons never expounded upon, they collectively never considered using it to prolong their lives beyond the 12 life cycles, I'm guessing that they never really needed to do so, since, in the old series' mythology, they receded from active involvement in galactic affairs, taking on the role of mere observers. With occasion meddling, here and there....:)

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #341 of 351 Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
So I finally caught up with the episode yesterday. I have to say, the last three episodes (the series 7 finale and the two specials) were kind of a muddled mess. I feel like Moffat was just writing stream of consciousness. Very rushed, no care for continuity or story development. As if they were written in a vacuum, independent of each other. And lots of half-assed ideas thrown in that didn't really work, like the Doctor being naked with holographic clothes. And I did not care for the ending of the Christmas special with Amy being the last person he sees. I know she was important to him, but it kind of diminishes Clara's role in the series, especially after, in the series 7 finale, she jumped into the time vortex, got scattered into a million parts, and supposedly saved the Doctor on many occasions. You'd think that Clara would be just as important to the Doctor, given all that. There are new producers on the show for Series 8, and hopefully some new writers to work with Moffat. I hope they can get the series back on track a little bit so it doesn't seem quite as muddled. It's hard to believe that the Sherlock and the latest series of DW have been by the same showrunner. One is so focused in tone, and the other is just so random.
lonwolf615 likes this.
post #342 of 351 Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post

Yeah ... that would make more sense than the hand regeneration.
post #343 of 351 Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Liked: 17
The 10th doctor was mortally wounded by a Dalek while running to reunite with Rose. While regenerating he used the energy from the old hand to retain his old appearance. His comment was something like, "I didn't want to change my looks, why would I?", while straightening his tie with a smile, as if to say, "I'm too handsome to change". That is the vanity issue that the 11th doctor referenced. Or at least, that's my take on it all.
hooked01 likes this.
post #344 of 351 Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalav View Post

The 10th doctor was mortally wounded by a Dalek while running to reunite with Rose. While regenerating he used the energy from the old hand to retain his old appearance. His comment was something like, "I didn't want to change my looks, why would I?", while straightening his tie with a smile, as if to say, "I'm too handsome to change". That is the vanity issue that the 11th doctor referenced. Or at least, that's my take on it all.

Right. That whole sequence went by so fast I forgot about it. I believe you have identified the "missing" regeneration.
post #345 of 351 Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Not disputing the cornucopia of messiness*, but did the Time Lords rewrite the rules, or did they take some regeneration(s?) from another Time Lord and give it (them) to the Doctor? Or siphoned off some energy from one? I thought something like that happened before to the Master or Donna or his Daughter or someone?

v/r,
C-F

* Sorry for mixing holidays...

The time lords have the ability to grant another regeneration cycle if they so choose. And you are correct, this has happened with the Master previously.
post #346 of 351 Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

The time lords have the ability to grant another regeneration cycle if they so choose. And you are correct, this has happened with the Master previously.

Well. Okay then. rolleyes.gif

What then is the point of saying there's a limit on regeneration cycles? Oh, forgive me. I'm bloody daft. Dr. Who isn't supposed to follow any rules; what would be the point of that? tongue.gif
post #347 of 351 Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Everyone seems to forget that there was a mysterious generation of the Doctor that didn't get fully explored in any series from 6-12. And that was "The Valeyard" regeneration of the Doctor that supposedly occurred somewhere between the 11th and final regeneration (Capaldi). Dr Who "Valeyard" was a deeply mysterious and malevolent character that was slight less diabolical than "The Master" in the "Trial of the Time Lords" series with Colin Baker. In reality...if we are to track this logically...Mat Smith was the final regeneration of Doctor Who. And we never got to see a Valeyard series. But his character was older. So maybe Capaldi will end up being the Illusive Valeyard in the end.
post #348 of 351 Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Everyone seems to forget that there was a mysterious generation of the Doctor that didn't get fully explored in any series from 6-12. And that was "The Valeyard" regeneration of the Doctor that supposedly occurred somewhere between the 11th and final regeneration (Capaldi). Dr Who "Valeyard" was a deeply mysterious and malevolent character that was slight less diabolical than "The Master" in the "Trial of the Time Lords" series with Colin Baker. In reality...if we are to track this logically...Mat Smith was the final regeneration of Doctor Who. And we never got to see a Valeyard series. But his character was older. So maybe Capaldi will end up being the Illusive Valeyard in the end.

That would be fantastic.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #349 of 351 Old 01-06-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

That would be fantastic.

I agree. It would be inspired storytelling. So Either Smith is the 11th or 12th Doctor. And if Capaldi ends up being the Illusive Doctor "created between 11 and 12"...He could be an anomaly concoted by the Time Lords, before the final version is generated. And we finally will get to see his story fully explored. This could really be fun if that is the pathway the writers are going down. Capaldi is about the age of the Valeyard in that Colin Baker trial. And his birth in "Trial of the Timelords" was explained by "The Master to occur under strange circumstances like those that happened at Matt Smith's demise. Meaning...Sort of abrupt, inconclusive and aborted.
post #350 of 351 Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"A new one-half ounce 2014 Doctor Who Silver Proof Coin is now available from the Perth Mint of Australia. Depicting a struck Dalek... "

http://www.coinnews.net/2014/02/21/2014-doctor-who-monsters-coin-depicts-dalek/

post #351 of 351 Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Australia Mint Is At It Again; Another One:

2014 Doctor Who Monsters Coin Depicts Weeping Angel
"Offered as the second issue in a five coin series from the Perth Mint of Australia is the 2014 Weeping Angel Silver Proof Coin. The strike appears as the latest release in the Doctor Who Monsters silver coin program. Mintage of the issue is limited to 5,000...."

http://www.coinnews.net/2014/03/11/2014-doctor-who-monsters-coin-depicts-weeping-angel/

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page