Doctor Who Season 7 Premiere on BBC America - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
HDTV Programming > Doctor Who Season 7 Premiere on BBC America
HDTVChallenged's Avatar HDTVChallenged 02:06 AM 02-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

It thought it was 4:3 for the episodes and 16:9 for the interviews in my viewing experience.

Nope ... They used 'Stretch-O-Vision' for the episode. Now then, the acting ... oh, my ... hilariously bad (with the exception of the Dr and Jamie.)

Does anyone know if they plan to repeat the first Doc's special? Apparently, I was asleep at the remote ...

diditagain's Avatar diditagain 05:48 AM 02-27-2013
The First Doctor special and story were repeated before the Second Doctor special and story, so there is a chance both will be repeated before the Third Doctor special and story in March. If not then, I'm sure at some point BBC America will have a marathon of these 3-hour blocks.

Also, I imagine the 11 25-minute Doctor retrospectives will appear as bonus material on the DVD/Blu-ray release of the 50th anniversary special (since there is no more Who Confidential, these specials seem like a perfect fit for this release).

Regarding the aspect ratio of the classic story being aired for each Doctor, the First Doctor's story was shown as 14:9 on the HD feed, with a little bit of the original 4:3 image from the top and bottom cropped (similar to how BBCA HD shows Star Trek: TNG). The Second Doctor's story was 16:9, but I thought it looked cropped from the 4:3 original, not stretched. I don't think I've ever seen a 4:3 show stretched on BBCA HD (but there could be a first time!).
jc5810's Avatar jc5810 07:18 AM 02-27-2013
I missed the first Doctor special as well, but was able to view the episodes via Netflix DVD rental. I do not know if Netflix offers it via the streaming service.
HDTVChallenged's Avatar HDTVChallenged 01:23 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

The Second Doctor's story was 16:9, but I thought it looked cropped from the 4:3 original, not stretched. I don't think I've ever seen a 4:3 show stretched on BBCA HD (but there could be a first time!).

Like the second special smile.gif They used a version of the uneven stretch that was "popular" in the early days of HDTV's, i.e. mostly "normal" aspect in the middle and progressively more stretched on the sides. You could clearly see the actors get "fatter" as they moved from center screen to the side: IOW, an inverted "Fishbowl" effect.
HDTVChallenged's Avatar HDTVChallenged 12:57 AM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5810 View Post

I missed the first Doctor special as well, but was able to view the episodes via Netflix DVD rental. I do not know if Netflix offers it via the streaming service.

It showed up on the D*/BBCA VOD "channel."
sneals2000's Avatar sneals2000 03:31 AM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Like the second special smile.gif They used a version of the uneven stretch that was "popular" in the early days of HDTV's, i.e. mostly "normal" aspect in the middle and progressively more stretched on the sides. You could clearly see the actors get "fatter" as they moved from center screen to the side: IOW, an inverted "Fishbowl" effect.
That's a pity. That's never really been used in the UK (by the BBC or anyone else) - either for 16:9 SD (which we've had since 1998) or 16:9 HD (which we've had since 2006) Pity. Almost all 4:3 archive shows are shown, in their entirety using 4:3 pillarbox (aka 12P16) with black bars either side. Some kids programming (and 4:3 archive within 16:9 shows) uses the compromise 14:9 pillarbox (aka 14P16) but this is seldom used for mainstream content. Pity - that non-linear stretch is horrible (and you can't reverse it as you can other conversions)
HDTVChallenged's Avatar HDTVChallenged 11:06 AM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

That's a pity. That's never really been used in the UK (by the BBC or anyone else) - either for 16:9 SD (which we've had since 1998) or 16:9 HD (which we've had since 2006) Pity. Almost all 4:3 archive shows are shown, in their entirety using 4:3 pillarbox (aka 12P16) with black bars either side. Some kids programming (and 4:3 archive within 16:9 shows) uses the compromise 14:9 pillarbox (aka 14P16) but this is seldom used for mainstream content. Pity - that non-linear stretch is horrible (and you can't reverse it as you can other conversions)

FWIW, the Hartnell special (Aztecs) downloaded from the D* VOD was in the original 4:3 ... of course it was also SD. The talking-heads portion was letterboxed in 4:3. Perhaps there's still hope for the second special.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 11:26 PM 03-30-2013
The Doctor is back!
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:11 PM 03-31-2013
And so is his "easy on the eyes" co-star. biggrin.gif
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 01:18 PM 03-31-2013
Indeed she is!

SeattleAl's Avatar SeattleAl 12:09 AM 04-04-2013
There's a 3 minute long prequel clip on Comcast On-Demand. It's online at www.bbc.co.uk also.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 04:03 PM 04-18-2013
I watched the first three season of Dr. Who in beginning in 2005 but wandered away for reasons I can no longer remember. I decided to come back and discovered to my delight that BBC America was showing a bunch of old episodes. I have watched several of them and was uniformly entertained. Today, though, I saw the Vincent and the Doctor episode from 2010 and was blown away. It was the first one I had seen with the new doctor and his red haired young assistant. I was also impressed to see the wonderful Bill Nighy as an art museum guru. As I remembered from the early seasons, the show was mostly light, funny, and exciting but this episode ended up being moving too. Great television! I have my game face on for the new season.
lonwolf615's Avatar lonwolf615 04:29 PM 04-18-2013
A lot of the Tenant episodes are very adult, very dark, and very creepy.
tomhunter8's Avatar tomhunter8 05:16 PM 04-18-2013
I think this season has been outstanding so far!
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 09:00 PM 04-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

A lot of the Tenant episodes are very adult, very dark, and very creepy.

I agree that Dr. Who has always had its dark and creepy moments but I thought that Tenant as the doctor and Billie Piper as his faithful time traveling assistant consistently added charm and humor to the mix. Based on the Van Gogh episode, which is the only one starring the actor playing the new doctor and the young actress playing his tall redheaded assistant I have seen, the new team seems able to do the same thing. The Van Gogh episode, though, really moved me, which is a fairly rare phenomenon for me in this series. The depiction of the greatness of Van Gogh's art and the sadness and despair of his tragically short life was brilliantly done.
lonwolf615's Avatar lonwolf615 11:51 PM 04-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Dr. Who has always had its dark and creepy moments but I thought that Tenant as the doctor and Billie Piper as his faithful time traveling assistant consistently added charm and humor to the mix. Based on the Van Gogh episode, which is the only one starring the actor playing the new doctor and the young actress playing his tall redheaded assistant I have seen, the new team seems able to do the same thing. The Van Gogh episode, though, really moved me, which is a fairly rare phenomenon for me in this series. The depiction of the greatness of Van Gogh's art and the sadness and despair of his tragically short life was brilliantly done.

Wait till you see Angels in New York...
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer 02:18 AM 04-19-2013
I really enjoyed the episodes with Billie Piper, but Karen Gillan is just amazing. And very charming in person too. I'll second the "Wait till you see Angels in New York" sentiment.

There’s a little girl waiting in a garden. She’s going to wait a long while, so she’s going to need a lot of hope. Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she’s patient, the days are coming which she’ll never forget.

gwsat's Avatar gwsat 10:02 AM 04-19-2013
Quote:

Wait till you see Angels in New York...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I really enjoyed the episodes with Billie Piper, but Karen Gillan is just amazing. And very charming in person too. I'll second the "Wait till you see Angels in New York" sentiment.

There’s a little girl waiting in a garden. She’s going to wait a long while, so she’s going to need a lot of hope. Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she’s patient, the days are coming which she’ll never forget.

I have watched a bunch of Dr. Who episodes in recent days but none with an episode named Angels in New York. I did find an IMDb listing for an episode from last season called The Angels Take Manhattan. If that is the one you are talking about, my TiVo indicates that it unfortunately is not in the lineup to be re-shown right away.
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 10:53 AM 04-19-2013
They're referring to the episodes involving the "weeping angels", one of The Doctor's more impressive adversaries. There have been several of those and they're pretty scary compared to the usual episodes which are typically high on camp and short on chills.
lonwolf615's Avatar lonwolf615 12:29 PM 04-19-2013
Quote:

I have watched a bunch of Dr. Who episodes in recent days but none with an episode named Angels in New York. I did find an IMDb listing for an episode from last season called The Angels Take Manhattan. If that is the one you are talking about, my TiVo indicates that it unfortunately is not in the lineup to be re-shown right away.

Sorry, I guessed at the title. It is Angels take Manhatten, which is one of my faves for the whole series. Its the last ep. of the first half of the current season, and of course its better to see them in order if possible. I agree the Van Gough episode is great, but this one is even better, which is why I mentioned it.
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer 03:16 PM 04-19-2013
Quote:

It's not from last season. It is from the current series 7, episode 5.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 03:18 PM 04-19-2013
Quote:

Sorry, I guessed at the title. It is Angels take Manhatten, which is one of my faves for the whole series. Its the last ep. of the first half of the current season, and of course its better to see them in order if possible. I agree the Van Gough episode is great, but this one is even better, which is why I mentioned it.

Thanks, if it plays again, I'll be sure to watch it. I did a little research and discovered that The Angels Take Manhattan episode was written by Steven Moffat himself. The Sherlock series has made me a huge Moffat fan.
lonwolf615's Avatar lonwolf615 07:11 PM 04-19-2013
Quote:

Thanks, if it plays again, I'll be sure to watch it. I did a little research and discovered that The Angels Take Manhattan episode was written by Steven Moffat himself. The Sherlock series has made me a huge Moffat fan.

Me too. Not wanting to get the title wrong, I just checked IMBD to get it right: The Silence in the Library is maybe my favorite Who episode ever. In checking that I discovered he also wrote Blink, which is the first appearance of the Weeping Angels. I think he wrote one or two episodes a year during the Davis-Tenant run. And then there's Jekyll, which I seem to hold in higher regard than most people.smile.gif I'm in awe of that one.
sneals2000's Avatar sneals2000 04:44 PM 04-21-2013
"Blink" is still, to me, the best episode of the rebooted series to date. In an alternative universe Carey Mulligan's Sally Sparrow is a companion... What might have been...
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 04:50 PM 04-21-2013
Quote:

"Blink" is still, to me, the best episode of the rebooted series to date. In an alternative universe Carey Mulligan's Sally Sparrow is a companion... What might have been...
I agree, it's my favorite as well.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 08:25 PM 04-21-2013
Quote:

I'm recording every episode of Dr. Who that BBC America is showing and have watched most of them. When and if Blink shows up, I will definitely watch it. I love Carey Mulligan but until I saw your post had no idea that she had been in a Dr. Who episode. I guess that's because her appearance there came two years before her performance in An Education made her a star.
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 09:06 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:

I agree, it's my favorite as well.

And strangely, it was the episode that had the LEAST screen time for the doctor. Hmmm... biggrin.gif
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 10:14 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

And strangely, it was the episode that had the LEAST screen time for the doctor. Hmmm... biggrin.gif

My fav too! I think the reason for Blink's popularity was it was the episode that featured the most genuinely chilling moments and such nail-biting tension, maybe in the history of the franchise. I wish there had been more of these kinds of episodes instead of such persistent high camp. But then it wouldn't have been 'Dr. Who', I guess.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 10:54 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My fav too! I think the reason for Blink's popularity was it was the episode that featured the most genuinely chilling moments and such nail-biting tension, maybe in the history of the franchise. I wish there had been more of these kinds of episodes instead of such persistent high camp. But then it wouldn't have been 'Dr. Who', I guess.

I think that Dr. Who does a good job of moving seamlessly from camp, to terror, to genuinely moving drama. I agree with you that without some of each it wouldn't be Dr. Who.
FOPA's Avatar FOPA 09:11 AM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I think this season has been outstanding so far!

Interesting comment in light of the fact that there has been no discussion of the latest episode, or the previous for that matter, in 5 days. The submarine episode didn't thrill me, but did feel that thispast Saturday's was better. I always like a good haunted house story.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop