Last Resort on ABC - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jim tressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hopefully there is a decent ending...
jim tressler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Two of the three new shows I added to my queue this season, have been canceled. I guess I just know how to pick 'em.

I guess you have the dvr of death.

I read that this show has a decent dvr rating. I continue to watch it even though I haven't really loved it. I keep telling myself to quit but the individual shows are good enough to keep my attention.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #363 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
rviele's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i thought COB was a SEAL and if so he should have not any problem with the bad guys.
rviele is offline  
post #364 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Member
 
tonycsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This show certainly has some warts. The romance doesn't work and the editing is a bit uneven. All that aside, for some reason I'm enjoying it. I want to see more of the world they live in. I want to know how the story is going to resolve. While the numbers on this show weren't great, they didn't seem to be bad either. Seems like this should be moved to a different slot.
tonycsmoke is offline  
post #365 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
I thought for sure this show was finally going to be able to crack the code of serialized dramas on TV. frown.gif We've become a country that goes way beyond respecting the military and honoring their service - we've grown to absolutely fetishise it over the last 30 years or so. And this show is a hard-nosed military drama at its core. We loved '24', so why didn't this show find a similar sweet spot in the red-blooded, patriotic American televiewing demographic? You know the producers and network are wondering that right now.

(Note: I write this with the last 4 or 5 episodes sitting unwatched on the DVR. Not because I didn't like it - I did! - but because there are so many other worthy shows on the schedule right now and there are only so many entertainment hours in a day.)
archiguy is offline  
post #366 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
ABC is holding on to an option to pick this up for the 2013 season. Not much of a chance they will but if the replacemnt shows really bomb it could happen.


As is I agree with those who said the story needed to focus on the world events. More scenes and characters in the Washington intrigue/conspiracy stuff was needed. How you could take a story of the world on the edge of nuclear war, the U.S. already nukeing Pakistan, the Joint Chiefs resigning, a U.S. sub captain going rouge and a team of Seals that had some sort of upper top secret mission and make it boring is mind boggling.

Argee
Argee is offline  
post #367 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

i thought COB was a SEAL and if so he should have not any problem with the bad guys.

Nope the COB is a submariner, which is a different line of turf from the SEALS.
gwsat is online now  
post #368 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

i thought COB was a SEAL and if so he should have not any problem with the bad guys.

What was getting me was that there clearly was a war going on between the crew and the warlord and yet there was no shortage of crew and the COB who got caught out on their own. Too convenient.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #369 of 581 Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

ABC is holding on to an option to pick this up for the 2013 season. Not much of a chance they will but if the replacemnt shows really bomb it could happen.
As is I agree with those who said the story needed to focus on the world events. More scenes and characters in the Washington intrigue/conspiracy stuff was needed. How you could take a story of the world on the edge of nuclear war, the U.S. already nukeing Pakistan, the Joint Chiefs resigning, a U.S. sub captain going rouge and a team of Seals that had some sort of upper top secret mission and make it boring is mind boggling.
In my opinion it's on the wrong network. ABC is more interested in personal relationship shows, heck, they even have shows called Scandal and Revenge(I do like Revenge though it is starting to devolve into mush this season). This show would have been better suited on FOX or NBC, it would have been far too dry and procedural on CBS, most CBS shows don't have any emotion in them at all.
Keenan is online now  
post #370 of 581 Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
pianoman41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Western MA USA
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I enjoyed this show. A bit campy and/or predictable at times, but still a decent hour of TV. I think if they had went with the Tom Clancy-ish type storylines rather than the Lost-type storylines it would have faired better--at least with the military procedural crowd. There were holes in the premise/story big enough to drive a truck through, but it still managed to stay on task for the most part. I've always loved Braugher's work--especially on 'Homicide: Life On The Street' (one of the best cop dramas ever on TV). It's too bad the networks don't give shows time to get their legs under them any more.

-Matt
pianoman41 is offline  
post #371 of 581 Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I had high hopes for the premise of this one, but as someone said, ABC is/was the wrong network for such a show.  It still shows the nucleus of a good thriller that is, unfortunately, bogged down in soap suds and a few silly plot points.  Making Serrat so brazen and the Captain seemingly so capable of brutality and then having them dance around each other is just hard to imagine.  Surely now, after COB's assault, the good Capt would relieve the island of Serrat's presence for all time.  I get that the story needs a bad guy, but this isn't being handled well or believably.  Doesn't matter now, of course.  I'm now stuck in that awkward position of trying to decide whether to continue watching or not.  Most likely all eps have been filmed, so there is no chance of a wrap up episode.  Given that, I doubt I want to keep going just to have some big cliff hanger moment which will only frustrate with no resolution in sight.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #372 of 581 Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Doesn't matter now, of course.  I'm now stuck in that awkward position of trying to decide whether to continue watching or not.  Most likely all eps have been filmed, so there is no chance of a wrap up episode.  Given that, I doubt I want to keep going just to have some big cliff hanger moment which will only frustrate with no resolution in sight.

Sometimes when something like this happens they can re-cut the final episode(s) to give some closure, maybe even film a new scene or two to help their faithful audience get some resolution. Don't know what the network has planned for this one, if anything.
archiguy is offline  
post #373 of 581 Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
ltownsend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Sometimes when something like this happens they can re-cut the final episode(s) to give some closure, maybe even film a new scene or two to help their faithful audience get some resolution. Don't know what the network has planned for this one, if anything.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! What to do about the show now? My gut feeling is to say #$%^&!!! ABC and stop watching immediately, but I like the cast and the premise. I'm just saying; network tv is becoming a waste of time - you commit to a show, invest your time watching and what do they do??? cancel it.mad.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

 

 

ltownsend is offline  
post #374 of 581 Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
rviele's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i just hope they give a decent close to the show. i really do hate ABC.
rviele is offline  
post #375 of 581 Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
ABC doesn't have an exclusive hold on killing shows. There have been many shows over the decades that have been killed by the networks. Many a series that I've enjoyed have had an early death.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #376 of 581 Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

ABC doesn't have an exclusive hold on killing shows. There have been many shows over the decades that have been killed by the networks. Many a series that I've enjoyed have had an early death.
Exactly.

We've had outrage here against NBC, Fox and other networks over plenty of cancellations over the years.

The fact is, every season, there's at least one network that blows it and brings out a bunch of series that fail more than the rest of the offerings. This season, it's ABC.

As a result, that network becomes the "I'm never watching them again because they kill all my favorite shows" network. Next season, it will probably be someone else that gets the heat from people.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #377 of 581 Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

As a result, that network becomes the "I'm never watching them again because they kill all my favorite shows" network. Next season, it will probably be someone else that gets the heat from people.

Not to mention that a good percentage of cancelled shows are really not that good anyway. I can count on one hand the number that I think have been unfairly cancelled in the past few years and by comparison finishing out an episode run is a lot better treatment than shows used to get where they would just get pulled after four episodes.

Last Resort is passable entertainment but this time next year I probably won't even remember it was on. One show closes and plenty of other potentials appear to take their place.

Some might actually be much better!


VisionOn is online now  
post #378 of 581 Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
rsambuca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Apparently the cancellation came before production was completed, so in an interview with TVLine, Shawn Ryan indicated there was enough time to tweak the last few episodes to make them serve as a series finale and bring proper closure to the series. The same with 666 Park Avenue.

ABC’s ‘Last Resort’ and ‘666 Park Avenue’ promise closure following cancellation
rsambuca is offline  
post #379 of 581 Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

Well, if they are truly able to tweak them, it's somewhat of a consolation.  I can more easily live with a show I like ending if they are able to tie it up a bit.  I'll continue to watch now that I know that.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #380 of 581 Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 444
The question is will ABC actually air the episodes. They've said that before and the episodes never showed up on air, at least not in the US. These might end up on the Web, in more places than just ABC's site.
Keenan is online now  
post #381 of 581 Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bpeacock22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Ugh. Surprised Revolution outlasted this one.

I know right? I chose to hang with this show over Revolution, thinking it was doing better. Hope we get an ending. Oh well. How long could they have kept this up and it not turn into Prison Break, anyway?
bpeacock22 is offline  
post #382 of 581 Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I know right? I chose to hang with this show over Revolution, thinking it was doing better. Hope we get an ending. Oh well. How long could they have kept this up and it not turn into Prison Break, anyway?


Because in the grand scheme of things we are not allowed to follow more than one show at a time?

Argee
Argee is offline  
post #383 of 581 Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'd like an ending where the captain says: "You want our nukes? You got 'em."

And launches the remaining 17 at various world targets guaranteed to inflame even more hatred at the US. tongue.gif
humdinger70 is online now  
post #384 of 581 Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
I'd like an ending in which something goes wrong with the cloaking device and the entire sub and the crew get transported back in time to the beginning of World War 2.


VisionOn is online now  
post #385 of 581 Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia Vicinity
Posts: 4,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'd like an ending in which something goes wrong with the cloaking device and the entire sub and the crew get transported back in time to the beginning of World War 2.

Starring Martin Sheen as FDR.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

 

rdclark is offline  
post #386 of 581 Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'd like an ending in which something goes wrong with the cloaking device and the entire sub and the crew get transported back in time to the beginning of World War 2.

And join forces with Kirk Douglas and the gang... biggrin.gif

Keenan is online now  
post #387 of 581 Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I always loved the scene in that movie where the F-14's take on the Zeroes from the 40's.  Still hoping Last Resort has a plausible and somewhat satisfying conclusion.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #388 of 581 Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Member
 
vando45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alto, MI
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I always loved the scene in that movie where the F-14's take on the Zeroes from the 40's.  Still hoping Last Resort has a plausible and somewhat satisfying conclusion.

Ditto on both.
vando45 is offline  
post #389 of 581 Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
David James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What the heck happened to the Robert Patrick character? Totally MIA from tonights episode. After what happened to him last episode you'd think there would be some follow up.
David James is offline  
post #390 of 581 Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
After an episode like this week's, I am not lamenting the demise of this show at all.

The thanksgiving party, the melodramatic trial and really mediocre writing and the reveal that Grace had been raped to the soundtrack of island choir (which was almost a parody) was just bad all round. The fact I could guess Grace had been raped as soon as she protested being handed the assignment shows just how predictable the ABC soap doctrine really is.

I really hate the island folk. They add nothing to the show that is positive in any way.


VisionOn is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off