AVS Forum banner

Last Resort on ABC

27K views 580 replies 112 participants last post by  tighr 
#1 ·
The first episode is up online at various sites. This could end up being the best new show of the season IF they can maintain the production values and story telling laid out in the premier. Premiers 9/27 on ABC if you want to wait 'til then.

#377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1429775/last-resort-on-abc/360#post_22613593

As a result, that network becomes the "I'm never watching them again because they kill all my favorite shows" network. Next season, it will probably be someone else that gets the heat from people.

Not to mention that a good percentage of cancelled shows are really not that good anyway. I can count on one hand the number that I think have been unfairly cancelled in the past few years and by comparison finishing out an episode run is a lot better treatment than shows used to get where they would just get pulled after four episodes.

Last Resort is passable entertainment but this time next year I probably won't even remember it was on. One show closes and plenty of other potentials appear to take their place.

Some might actually be much better!

#379 ·

Well, if they are truly able to tweak them, it's somewhat of a consolation.  I can more easily live with a show I like ending if they are able to tie it up a bit.  I'll continue to watch now that I know that.

#382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22  /t/1429775/last-resort-on-abc/360#post_22625602

I know right? I chose to hang with this show over Revolution, thinking it was doing better. Hope we get an ending. Oh well. How long could they have kept this up and it not turn into Prison Break, anyway?

Because in the grand scheme of things we are not allowed to follow more than one show at a time?

#384 ·
I'd like an ending in which something goes wrong with the cloaking device and the entire sub and the crew get transported back in time to the beginning of World War 2.

#387 ·

I always loved the scene in that movie where the F-14's take on the Zeroes from the 40's.  Still hoping Last Resort has a plausible and somewhat satisfying conclusion.

#390 ·
After an episode like this week's, I am not lamenting the demise of this show at all.

The thanksgiving party, the melodramatic trial and really mediocre writing and the reveal that Grace had been raped to the soundtrack of island choir (which was almost a parody) was just bad all round. The fact I could guess Grace had been raped as soon as she protested being handed the assignment shows just how predictable the ABC soap doctrine really is.

I really hate the island folk. They add nothing to the show that is positive in any way.

#394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1429775/last-resort-on-abc/360#post_22644085

After an episode like this week's, I am not lamenting the demise of this show at all.

The thanksgiving party, the melodramatic trial and really mediocre writing and the reveal that Grace had been raped to the soundtrack of island choir (which was almost a parody) was just bad all round. The fact I could guess Grace had been raped as soon as she protested being handed the assignment shows just how predictable the ABC soap doctrine really is.

I really hate the island folk. They add nothing to the show that is positive in any way.

I'm forced to agree with you. This show, after the confrontation with the Secretary of Defense and the Presidential Adviser on the island, just spun downhill into mawkish melodrama. The original premise of the show would have made a very good three part mini-series. The idea of a nuke launch on Pakistan and all of the political intrigue leading up to it and the consequences as a result could have been wrapped around the island story very nicely and made a good political thriller. . Instread what we ended up with was the nuke attack opener and then, mostly, the various plots and sub-plots on the island. It's too bad because some good acting talent (especially the great Andre Braugher) ended up being wasted.

#395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981  /t/1429775/last-resort-on-abc/390#post_22645169

It's too bad because some good acting talent (especially the great Andre Braugher) ended up being wasted.

He is the consistent bright spot. Braugher's character has a good command presence onscreen and a few subtle but forceful moments of dialog.

For such a great actor he has no luck with choosing television shows at all post-Homicide. They nearly all die early, even when they are pretty good.

#398 ·
I agree with what seems to be the consensus, that Last Resort has deteriorated and this week's episode was the worst so far. I may stick with it until the end but, frankly, the jury is still out. When will I ever learn about ABC shows?

#399 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva  /t/1429775/last-resort-on-abc/390#post_22645770

2 left to go anyways right?

There are five episodes remaining. Only eight of thirteen have aired thus far.

One particular element in this mess of an episode stuck out to me more than the others: now that Sam knows where the transmitting station is, why did he need Booth to ask who the agent is? The agent has to come back to the station to send another message, so Sam could easily set up a leak of fake information that the spy would want to relay and then just wait by the transmitter to see who came to send the intelligence.

#400 ·
This latest episode was painful to get thru. I almost hit the delete button more than once. But I've invested this much time, might as well see how it ends. Which is too bad, because I like Andre Braugher and want to see him in a worthy show.

#401 ·

Yep, this one was pretty awful.  I'm sticking just because I want to see how they try to tie it up, but now I'm less sorrowful with its demise.  If this was any example of how it was going to continue, I would have lost interest in it anyway.  So, in some ways, the cancellation no longer bugs me like it did.  It was an interesting premise that they simply failed to deliver on.  No need to pick apart the various sub-plots (get it, "sub" plots...heheh)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.