Last Resort on ABC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The first episode is up online at various sites. This could end up being the best new show of the season IF they can maintain the production values and story telling laid out in the premier. Premiers 9/27 on ABC if you want to wait 'til then.

Argee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 581 Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can't wait but I will. Want to see it in it's full HD Glory smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 581 Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
As a former missile technician aboard US Navy submarines, I will at least watch the first episode. Typically, Hollywood's depiction of submarines in general, and the process invloved to launch a missile in particular, are laughable. Perhaps this series will be better.

- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #4 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I don't see how this show has any staying power without becoming laughable given the premise, but I'm in.
post #5 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

As a former missile technician aboard US Navy submarines, I will at least watch the first episode. Typically, Hollywood's depiction of submarines in general, and the process invloved to launch a missile in particular, are laughable. Perhaps this series will be better.

One of the biggest misakes people make is wanting realism especially when they've had or know the particualr job that is being portrayed on the show\movie. I would expect this show to be no different than the others and remain laughable to you....JMOHO however.....
49Merc likes this.
post #6 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Looking forward to the show, can't wait for next week.

post #7 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

I'm assuming you will be disappointed.

It's the same for me for any show portraying events in the TV or movie industry. The better ones at least get some of the details right (including some of the inside jokes), but I just wish that once in these shows someone would be seen white balancing a camera before they start shooting after leaping out of a news vehicle. Further, no one ever seems to need to power up a transmitter on a live truck, time out the signal with the station control room or even do an audio check. Plus, every TV control room looks like NASA's wet dream - even in Pudunk, Iowa.

Of course, don't even get me started on all those police procedurals where even the sleeziest pawn shop has security footage good enough to zoom in on it far enough to read something reflected in a guy's glasses that are the size of the head of a pin on the screen. I can't even do anything close to that with footage from the best digital cinecams.

You know what movie impresses me the most with getting it the most correct? "The China Syndrome". They were pretty well spot on with how things worked during that era. About the only thing that lost any credibility was that the camera operator was able to zoom in and properly frame some of the action in the control room without looking through the viewfinder. Had the footage he filmed (and yes, it was film back then) shown a static view of the action, it would have been more believable. Granted, an experience shooter could estimate it pretty well, but on something so important, I doubt he would have risked cutting something out of frame. But, those are the liberties productions take for the sake of drama.

The problem is, doing the news (or any type of TV) involves a lot of stuff that looks boring when you watch it being done. It's just another factory job in a lot of cases: pull a lever, push a button. Making TV makes for very uninteresting TV viewing.

Likewise, life on a typical sub makes for some very dull TV. To spice things up, you need a constant threat from the enemy (there's always a depth charge scene) and everyone assumes subs are dark places only lit by red lights for some reason.

post #8 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Likewise, life on a typical sub makes for some very dull TV. To spice things up, you need a constant threat from the enemy (there's always a depth charge scene) and everyone assumes subs are dark places only lit by red lights for some reason.

Except for the "Seaview" and the "Nautilus" (Disney version). Those were some pretty plush and roomy submarines. If I enlisted in the Navy, I'd tell 'em I want to serve my hitch on a sub like that!
post #9 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Considering the show's premise--Crimson Tide meets The Rock--I'd say very little of this show will be realistic. Tom Clancy this ain't.
49Merc likes this.
post #10 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Likewise, life on a typical sub makes for some very dull TV.

True, months spent underwater staring at Launch Control Panels is not exactly "Must see TV"
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Except for the "Seaview" and the "Nautilus" (Disney version). Those were some pretty plush and roomy submarines. If I enlisted in the Navy, I'd tell 'em I want to serve my hitch on a sub like that!

I can't even begin to count the number of times we had to "Electrify the Hull" to dislodge a giant squid from the boat biggrin.gif

- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #11 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can't even begin to count the number of times we had to "Electrify the Hull" to dislodge a giant squid from the boat biggrin.gif

That's OK...

It seems like I'm constantly called upon to tap into various security cameras all over the city to seemlessly track a suspect as they move between armed robbery and lunch at Arby's.

The other day at lunch, some guy was choking. I said, "heck with the heimlich maneuver - I'm going straight for the tracheostomy with a butter knife and some dude's pen."

The next time I find myself facing off with a guy who has taken some pregnant woman hostage, I'll be certain to knock him down with a precision head shot with my hand gun.

I learned everything I know from TV and movies. How hard can it be?

post #12 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

That's OK...
It seems like I'm constantly called upon to tap into various security cameras all over the city to seemlessly track a suspect as they move between armed robbery and lunch at Arby's.
The other day at lunch, some guy was choking. I said, "heck with the heimlich maneuver - I'm going straight for the tracheostomy with a butter knife and some dude's pen."

Hopefully you stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #13 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Hopefully you stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before...
No, I have an impossibly large loft apartment in Manhatten. It's rent controlled from when some college students used to live there who had no visible signs of income.

post #14 of 581 Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
I'll be tuning in. Checked the synopsis of all the other new shows this fall, and this is by far a week year for fall TV.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #15 of 581 Old 09-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

doggone it... you were kidding...

arrrgggg...

anyways, just watched it online. it was a boring night...

i did read that they had to make the spaces a wee bit bigger to accommodate the crew and camera gear. to me, it looks like tons of room were added.

it is interesting that something like that sub if something like this does happen in real life, is now a nuclear power...

leo d.
post #16 of 581 Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

doggone it... you were kidding...
arrrgggg...
anyways, just watched it online. it was a boring night...
i did read that they had to make the spaces a wee bit bigger to accommodate the crew and camera gear. to me, it looks like tons of room were added.
it is interesting that something like that sub if something like this does happen in real life, is now a nuclear power...
The thing is, subs have been Nuclear Nations of their own for over 20 years. If this sort of thing hasn't happened yet, I doubt it would be likely to ever happen.

At this point in history, launching nukes on someone would mean total engagement of everyone else who has nukes. It's doubtful those orders to launch would ever happen at this point. Too much has changed since we took that step, namely how many are in the game now and just how powerful one single weapon is - most of which are hundreds of times more powerful than those launched on Japan decades ago.

post #17 of 581 Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

True, months spent underwater staring at Launch Control Panels is not exactly "Must see TV"
Having seen the first episode, I don't think that's going to be much of an issue. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Looks like the "resort" in the title is a place where they end up as well as the situation, itself. And that's what concerns me.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #18 of 581 Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Having seen the first episode, I don't think that's going to be much of an issue. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Looks like the "resort" in the title is a place where they end up as well as the situation, itself. And that's what concerns me.
So in other words... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...if not for the crew of this mighty ship, the "Minnow" would be lost?
wink.gif
CPanther95 likes this.

post #19 of 581 Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

So in other words... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...if not for the crew of this mighty ship, the "Minnow" would be lost?
wink.gif

LOLOL:D

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #20 of 581 Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 479
I've only added two new shows to my DVR queue this season. Revolutions and Last Resort. Haven't watched online. Will wait for the HD broadcast.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #21 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I've only added two new shows to my DVR queue this season. Revolutions and Last Resort.

Same here, plus '666 Park Avenue'. Terry O'Quinn playing Satin himself (possibly)...? I'm so in. smile.gif
post #22 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:

Terry O'Quinn playing Satin himself (possibly)...?
Mmm, satin. Almost as good as silk, but not quite. Velvet is a close runner-up.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #23 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Mmm, satin. Almost as good as silk, but not quite. Velvet is a close runner-up.

Is that not how you spell the name of The Prince of Darkness? (I always thought that was C-H-E-N-E-Y) tongue.gif
post #24 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:

Same here, plus '666 Park Avenue'. Terry O'Quinn playing Satin himself (possibly)...? I'm so in. smile.gif

This sounds like a devilishly good time. Added to my queue. Thanks for the tip.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #25 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Is that not how you spell the name of The Prince of Darkness? (I always thought that was C-H-E-N-E-Y) tongue.gif

Nah, Satin is spelled Satan, but the other that you mentioned may be close.... smile.gif

Bobby 

post #26 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

No, I have an impossibly large loft apartment in Manhatten. It's rent controlled from when some college students used to live there who had no visible signs of income.

hahah, this exchange had me laughing.

On a related note, the previews for this show looked interesting. I'll at least watch the first episode.
post #27 of 581 Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

i thought it was a strong pilot. My favorite tv critic though says it stumbles in the next couple episodes (mostly due to the direction and some of the lines)

that closing scene was top notch and i actually think the trailers didnt do the show justice. I was writing it off during its promotion

::[color=Blue][b]

Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #28 of 581 Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 213
I'm like others and have a hard time seeing how they string this one out. It probably should have been written as a one-season thing just like American Horror Story, but the nets don't want to do that.
post #29 of 581 Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i don't know about anyone else but i liked the opener. so until they screw it up it's a keeper for me.
post #30 of 581 Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 371
I thought the first half of this was excellent, even if it did seem to be taking place aboard the most spacious submarine ever built. The tension was high, the action moving fast and Braugher reminded me of the performance of Hackman in Crimson Tide.

Then I saw the island was immediately disappointed. I was expecting this to have a Lost vibe, in which the crew landed on a uninhabited island and started building a place to live. As the episode progressed, the fact the island already has a village and residents just made me think this is going to turn into Terra Nova without dinosaurs and time travel. The same factions are in place - military, civilian, rebels, government agents - and the romantic relationships have already been signposted. There are kids on the island too, so lots of cute can be injected into the show. Yay.

The nuclear war started far too early as well. A few episodes down the line might have made it more convincing, but the reaction in this episode to nuking another nuclear power and then dropping a nuke off the coast of DC seemed to be treated with apathy. The whole world should have been thrown into chaos, if not great balls of fire.

The scene in which the SEAL explained how he's going to shoot down the group in detail reminded me of an identical scene in something I've seen recently, but I can't remember what.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page