Any kind of software to remove on-screen text during programs? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

Cut the Cord! Netflix costs only a FRACTION of what cable does, and you can purchase a "Shatload" of DVDs that are commercial-free and devoid of any obstructions. with the money you save by nor subscribing to cable or satelllite TV. biggrin.gif
+1

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

Cut the Cord! Netflix costs only a FRACTION of what cable does, and you can purchase a "Shatload" of DVDs that are commercial-free and devoid of any obstructions. with the money you save by nor subscribing to cable or satelllite TV. biggrin.gif

think this is exactly what I'll do...just bought 3TB external and now researching media players and have already started ripping tv-show dvds I have and borrowing from family/friends. Even if I add Netflix mail to my existing streaming it'll still only be another $8!
post #63 of 65 Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This side of the pond, some of the on-screen graphics you see on broadcasts is now being rendered in the set-top box/TV, not by the broadcaster (a bit like closed captions can be in the US)

So graphics like "Press Green to Remind me", "Press Green to Record this", "Press Red to singalong" etc. appear on-screen, but are not part of the broadcast video. Instead a data stream accompanying the video service is received and triggers the set-top box or TV to overlay a graphic (designed by the broadcaster) over the video stream. (The idea is that you press a coloured button - Red for interactive TV, Green for Record/Remind - to access optional services)

However you can chose, on some receivers, not to see these icons, and as they aren't part of the video stream, some PVRs/DVRs don't replay them on recordings.

Of course we still have some snipes, end credit promotions etc. - but some of the on-screen junk here is optional.
post #64 of 65 Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 14
Subtitles on DVDs have actually always been graphics- in fact I've seen a few DVDs with bug-type logos using these, obviously done just to annoy me. They really dropped the ball when digital TV was designed as they could have made its closed-captioning system the same way. This would have allowed them to put all their intrusions on separate graphic overlays that the user could turn on and off at will. Of course nobody would purposely turn them on if it were that way...
post #65 of 65 Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalForever View Post

just bought 3TB external

Congrats on your purchase. Its about time you upgraded from that Commodore tape drive in your avatar. smile.gif

Thanks for having the tape drive in your avatar. It brought back memories. I used to have one hooked up to my Commodore 64 back in the 80s. Then I upgraded to the 1541 5&1/4 inch floppy drive.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page