Any kind of software to remove on-screen text during programs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been curious for a while if there's a way to remove annoying text that displays during tv programming of any kind (cable/sat)

So for instance I'm watching Hoarders on TLC and at the top left I have "#HOARDERS" and the bottom right there's "Coming up next: Long Island Meduim NEW EPISODE"

can this shat be removed? It's so annoying as most of the time it just displays during the entire programme. I doubt there is but you never know, someone may have come up with a way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Only the channel that puts it on there can remove it. Once it leaves the station's control room, it's part of the video just like everything else you see on the screen.

There's no such thing as a "font eraser" for TV.
post #3 of 65 Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM

That's not entirely true. If you're talking about live tv, then sure, not exactly possible given the current state of technology available to consumers.

But if you are recording it and post-processing it (on computer), there are some options out there. Search "logo remover" in google, you'll see things like this:
http://compression.ru/video/logo_removal/index_en.html
Before After

It's not perfect, but if your point is to archive shows, this could work.
post #4 of 65 Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

yeah talking about live tv, but that is pretty cool none-the-less! Seems like it would be possible, at some point, to have the computer in-line and have it process live tv, obviously may be a slight delay in "liveness" since the processing needs to happen first.
post #5 of 65 Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Seems like it would be possible,

it's not possible to remove part of the image when you have nothing to replace it with.
The example above uses blur and clone techniques to 'remove' the logo.....it doesn't do it perfectly

Basically, you 're asking to remove one of the actors in a scene...how would that work?
post #6 of 65 Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

well the above looks much better to me than the stupid logo! Doesn't have to be perfect for live tv. And exactly how is removing text added after the fact the same as removing an actor??
post #7 of 65 Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
How does it know that the "logo remover" can tell the difference between the channel bug, hash tag, and pop-up adversisments, and the ad on the side of the bus that is actually a part of the story?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 65 Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 267
You would most likely need to use the screen-area menu to define the areas of the screen that it should scan to detect the logo (e.g. bottom right, top left). Judging from the documentation, it also seems like you can just feed the program a clip with the logo you want to remove, use it to build a "profile" on that logo, and then it can remove that logo from any file that has it (i.e. different recordings from the same station can use the same logo log file, as long as the station doesn't change its logo).

The more complicated and annoying the logo is, the more difficult it would be to get good results (e.g. if the logo moves from one corner of the screen to another during the broadcast, you would probably have to cut the video into separate pieces depending on the logo's location, compile a logo log for each logo position, process the files separately, and then remux the clean segments into a new container afterwards).
post #9 of 65 Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Liked: 14
The best way to remove this "shat" from cable channels is to CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION. If everyone had quit subscribing the day VH-1 started this nonsense 22 YEARS AGO, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now!

Logo-removal software isn't perfect but it makes stuff a lot less annoying to watch. I've seen stuff on YouTube where you could tell they were using that.
post #10 of 65 Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

The problem is now that I watch a fair amount of tv via Netflix, once I do watch cable all this shat annoys me even more smile.gif
post #11 of 65 Old 09-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cut the Cord! Netflix costs only a FRACTION of what cable does, and you can purchase a "Shatload" of DVDs that are commercial-free and devoid of any obstructions. with the money you save by nor subscribing to cable or satelllite TV. biggrin.gif
videobruce likes this.
post #12 of 65 Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And exactly how is removing text added after the fact the same as removing an actor??

Seriously?
How is text or a logo any different from any other element in a composite video signal?
post #13 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Seriously?
How is text or a logo any different from any other element in a composite video signal?

Well according to the software above they're different in some respect as it can identify a logo. A better initial response may have been 'the text/image features get blended together so therefore they cannot be separated.'
post #14 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If there were a product that could eliminate the ever increasing clutter on my television screen, especially the animated ones with audio, I'd be really interested. This nonsense is getting completely out of hand.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #15 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For me, the biggest issue isn't static station logos. I can ignore those.

What gets me are those giant lower 3rd snipes that pop up and cover a good part of the screen - even when they don't make any noise.

Also, while watching the last episode of "Copper", the Twitter hash tags (like "@don't eat the fruitcake) were annoying throughout the entire episode.
post #16 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Also, while watching the last episode of "Copper", the Twitter hash tags (like "@don't eat the fruitcake) were annoying throughout the entire episode.

That is why I get all of my TV programming from other FREE sources. No bugs, no snipes, no on screen garbage, no commercials and clean credits.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #17 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

That is why I get all of my TV programming from other FREE sources. No bugs, no snipes, no on screen garbage, no commercials and clean credits.
The problem is, if I want to keep up with the show and be able to discuss in places like this forum, I have to watch it with the garbage. Anyplace I can watch it clean is going to be a significant delay without paying more. I'm not going to pay extra to watch things later when I'm already paying for the ability to watch it now.

It's the same with movies - if you don't want to wait, you have to pay for a ticket and potentially deal with a crowded theater full of people texting or talking.
post #18 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The problem is, if I want to keep up with the show and be able to discuss in places like this forum, I have to watch it with the garbage.

I've seen episodes up to a week after air and I can still discuss here on the forum. I just do not go to that thread until after I've seen the episode.
Quote:
It's the same with movies - if you don't want to wait, you have to pay for a ticket and potentially deal with a crowded theater full of people texting or talking.

Boy, I don't know where you watch movies, but at the few I have attended, not right away, but later, there isn't an issue with texting or talking.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #19 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've seen episodes up to a week after air and I can still discuss here on the forum. I just do not go to that thread until after I've seen the episode.
That might work for some shows, but with others, the thread moves to quick to wait that long. I couldn't have kept up with the "Lost" thread being a week behind.
Quote:
Boy, I don't know where you watch movies, but at the few I have attended, not right away, but later, there isn't an issue with texting or talking.
Again, we're talking about not waiting here. Opening weekend, there are going to be crowds and not everyone in them knows how to act in public.
post #20 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

I didn't keep up with Lost, but if I had, for that show, I would have been able to keep up-to-date. There are shows this season I can keep up with.

While I don't go to opening weekend presentations, I have gone to showings where the theater was fairly filled, mostly IMAX showing where I live and one in Phoenix, and there wasn't an issue.

I won't be going to any future IMAX showings in my area. Right after the latest Batman was done, they ripped out the IMAX-15 film projection and put in a 4K digital projector and new screen. Sorry, but 4K digital projection doesn't match the perceived 12K human resolution of the IMAX-15 film.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #21 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
The problem is, if I want to keep up with the show and be able to discuss in places like this forum, I have to watch it with the garbage.

One thing that's keeping the garbage there is people who continue to watch it and give it free publicity like that. Only comments I ever make about current shows is "It looks like a good show, but I can't watch it with all the crap on the screen."
post #22 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM

This is why I wait for a show to come out on DVD (Often only a few months after it is shown on the networks). No Commercials, and no Obstructions to ruin my viewing, just PURE PROGRAMMING. It doesn't get any better than that. biggrin.gif
post #23 of 65 Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

This is why I wait for a show to come out on DVD (Often only a few months after it is shown on the networks). No Commercials, and no Obstructions to ruin my viewing, just PURE PROGRAMMING. It doesn't get any better than that. biggrin.gif

Yes it does. It is called Blu-ray*.

* - Disclaimer: Finding TV shows via Blu-ray releases is extremely difficult from ABC Studios and CBS Productions. Both of these A-hole production companies tend to only release on the (IMHO) inferior DVD format.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #24 of 65 Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Yes it does. It is called Blu-ray*.
* - Disclaimer: Finding TV shows via Blu-ray releases is extremely difficult from ABC Studios and CBS Productions. Both of these A-hole production companies tend to only release on the (IMHO) inferior DVD format.

Picky Picky Picky. rolleyes.gif
post #25 of 65 Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

Well, this is an HD forum.

post #26 of 65 Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The big 4 networks have less screen clutter than the cable channels have and they are free. They also have the most watched programming.

Watching a crap channel like TLC is asking for screen clutter and horrible programming.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #27 of 65 Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well according to the software above they're different in some respect as it can identify a logo.

The software doesn't identify the logo...you've been watching too much CSI.
The user adjusts masks to obscure the logo....and it only works if the logo doesn't move.
Quote:
'the text/image features get blended together so therefore they cannot be separated.'

That's not obvious to you?
post #28 of 65 Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's not obvious to you?
It's not obvious to everyone.

It's not unlikely some people might not know that ones the signal leaves the control room board at the station, it's all one piece of video. They might not understand there's no video behind that logo anymore. The logo IS the video now.

With all those featurettes on movies where they see people removing wires, brackets, lights and other unwanted items, some might have the idea it's a simple thing to remove anything from an image.
post #29 of 65 Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

@don't eat the fruitcake

LOL - the Hoarders I was watching said "#HOARDING" the entire episode - annoying!
post #30 of 65 Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The software doesn't identify the logo...you've been watching too much CSI.
The user adjusts masks to obscure the logo....and it only works if the logo doesn't move.
Ha - so you admit it's not like removing an actor as an actor would not be stationary the entire show! YES I WIN - acknowledge my geode! biggrin.gif:D:D:D I honestly think people like you just post half the time to hear themselves 'talk'.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page