RUBICON - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,437
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4764 Post(s)
Liked: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Yeah, it's become either a joke or an annoyance. Almost every promotional ad on any AMC channel has the dish logo with a red circle and line through it. Many include the spoken phrase, not available on DISH. I wonder who they are trying to reach since DISH subscribers never see these ads on the AMC channels?

THose thinking of switching to DISH of course wink.gif they feel that they need to remind everyone 320948240923769 times a day, just in case you missed it the previous time it was said\shown...
Ph8te is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 53 Old 10-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpboy View Post

Among my favorite shows of all time.
Probably didn't survive because it requires an attention span.

I liked this show, my wife really loved this show and won't watch anything on AMC to this day because they canceled it so quickly.
lokar is offline  
post #33 of 53 Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpboy View Post

Among my favorite shows of all time.
Probably didn't survive because it requires an attention span.

I liked this show, my wife really loved this show and won't watch anything on AMC to this day because they canceled it so quickly.

I really liked it a lot, but my wife thought it was painfully slow. I tried to explain what was happening in each episode, but she just didn't get into it. That's fine I guess, because I never "get" the stuff that she does, like the 6000 hour (or so it seemed to me) version of sense and sensibilities. frown.gif

I thought it was one of the best pieces of television I had ever watched. The BRILLIANT touch of having the trigger pulled on the conspiracy in the next-to-the-last (penultimate) episode was inspired!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is online now  
 
post #34 of 53 Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Finally got to see this show. I also read all the comments on the prior thread. No sense adding any comments as I'm sure most of you have moved on. But why didn't Will pick up the damn dvd.

Since the prior thread ended, we have had to suffer through THE KILLING which somehow earned a second season while the far, far better RUBICON gets the axe. Go figure.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #35 of 53 Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Finally got to see this show. I also read all the comments on the prior thread. No sense adding any comments as I'm sure most of you have moved on. But why didn't Will pick up the damn dvd.

Since the prior thread ended, we have had to suffer through THE KILLING which somehow earned a second season while the far, far better RUBICON gets the axe. Go figure.

You know that the truth is, it's all about the numbers. Rubicon just didn't have the numbers. Of course, it didn't seem like it was terribly expensive, but it just was on the wrong side of the profit line. frown.gif I too was very disappointed, but I really couldn't fault the decision.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is online now  
post #36 of 53 Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,437
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4764 Post(s)
Liked: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

You know that the truth is, it's all about the numbers. Rubicon just didn't have the numbers. Of course, it didn't seem like it was terribly expensive, but it just was on the wrong side of the profit line. frown.gif I too was very disappointed, but I really couldn't fault the decision.

Plus it came at the same time as The Walking Dead, so unless it had stellar numbers, it wasnt going to make it.
Ph8te is offline  
post #37 of 53 Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 19,196
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Finally got to see this show. I also read all the comments on the prior thread. No sense adding any comments as I'm sure most of you have moved on. But why didn't Will pick up the damn dvd.
Since the prior thread ended, we have had to suffer through THE KILLING which somehow earned a second season while the far, far better RUBICON gets the axe. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

You know that the truth is, it's all about the numbers. Rubicon just didn't have the numbers. Of course, it didn't seem like it was terribly expensive, but it just was on the wrong side of the profit line. frown.gif I too was very disappointed, but I really couldn't fault the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Plus it came at the same time as The Walking Dead, so unless it had stellar numbers, it wasnt going to make it.

I agree that there were reasons completely unrelated to Rubicon's quality that contributed to its cancellation. I also agree that the renewal of The Killing after its execrable first season, followed by an equally terrible second season, made the cancellation of Rubicon even harder to take.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #38 of 53 Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that there were reasons completely unrelated to Rubicon's quality that contributed to its cancellation. I also agree that the renewal of The Killing after its execrable first season, followed by an equally terrible second season, made the cancellation of Rubicon even harder to take.

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.

I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #39 of 53 Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 19,196
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.
I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

Your apt expression of frustration over the terrific Rubicon having been cancelled while the terrible The Killing got two seasons elicited from me my low opinion of The Killing. I have always been careful to avoid being very explicit about my low opinion of the show in The Killing thread because a lot of those folks get very defensive about any word of criticism about the show there and that's understandable. I thought my frankness here, though, would probably create a lot less heartburn so I spoke out. Anyway, as you say, it's time to move on and get a life.smile.gif

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #40 of 53 Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.
I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

That was my sentiment exactly which is why I just disregarded the last few minutes of THE Killing and left the show satisfied after just one season. It had reached my limit of the number of red herrings they took to the furthest possible point, I couldn't envision a 2nd season knowing that virtually everything seen in the first 2/3rds of the season would be relatively meaningless. But I did enjoy the ride for the first season.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #41 of 53 Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that there were reasons completely unrelated to Rubicon's quality that contributed to its cancellation. I also agree that the renewal of The Killing after its execrable first season, followed by an equally terrible second season, made the cancellation of Rubicon even harder to take.

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.

I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

This was definitely my opinion as well. I didn't watch season two, except for the final episode. I had invested enough of my time (all of season one) to want to know who the killer was.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is online now  
post #42 of 53 Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rubicon DVD

Hi,
I can't remember who it was, but a member of this thread posted the following:

"Well in that case, I'm glad I made DVDs of the show and have saved them. It is definitely worth watching again. Now, where do you suppose I hid them?"


I periodically check various sites to see if AMC has come to their senses (they have not) and released Rubicon on DVD. In a post you wrote back in 2012 you mentioned that you had recorded the series on dvd, but wondered where you hid it. Two questions, which I am sure you can guess:

1. Did you find the coveted DVD's?
2. If I paid you, could you make a copy for me?

I hope you get back to me regardless of your answers. Loved that show so much. Great cast, intelligent, and decent attention span required.

Thank you, and have a happy, healthy holiday season.
CaliBound is offline  
post #43 of 53 Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBound View Post
Hi,
I can't remember who it was, but a member of this thread posted the following:

"Well in that case, I'm glad I made DVDs of the show and have saved them. It is definitely worth watching again. Now, where do you suppose I hid them?"


I periodically check various sites to see if AMC has come to their senses (they have not) and released Rubicon on DVD. In a post you wrote back in 2012 you mentioned that you had recorded the series on dvd, but wondered where you hid it. Two questions, which I am sure you can guess:

1. Did you find the coveted DVD's?
2. If I paid you, could you make a copy for me?

I hope you get back to me regardless of your answers. Loved that show so much. Great cast, intelligent, and decent attention span required.

Thank you, and have a happy, healthy holiday season.

Well I certainly made the DVDs of the series at the time. I was also the one who posted the fatuous comment about misplacing them. I still haven't found them since I haven't been looking for them. It was a bit of a joke as I keep all my archived series in alphabetical order. I just looked and there they were, under "R" where they should have been. There were 13 episodes, two per disk, seven disks total. If you want a copy of my disks PM me and we'll see if they are still readable.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is online now  
post #44 of 53 Old 12-23-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 22,191
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3789 Post(s)
Liked: 3849
Not one but two old 'Rubicon' threads popping up in one day?

That, my friends, is known as a good day. What a great show! C'mon AMC, just shiny-disk it already. Why, you've probably got your first 3 sales right here!
Young C and Ph8te like this.
archiguy is offline  
post #45 of 53 Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 31,775
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
I just checked a couple of "those" sites and it's definitely out there.
Keenan is offline  
post #46 of 53 Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It apparently is available on several sites. Just Google:


rubicon tv series watch online


and look at the results.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is online now  
post #47 of 53 Old 12-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well I certainly made the DVDs of the series at the time. I was also the one who posted the fatuous comment about misplacing them. I still haven't found them since I haven't been looking for them. It was a bit of a joke as I keep all my archived series in alphabetical order. I just looked and there they were, under "R" where they should have been. There were 13 episodes, two per disk, seven disks total. If you want a copy of my disks PM me and we'll see if they are still readable.
Thank you for replying so quickly!
Would love to PM you but don't think I can yet because I do not have a sufficient # of posts to do so. I only joined up a few days ago. Am I allowed to give you my e-mail addy? Let me know and we can chat that way. Hope your holidays are safe and warm.
Lisa
CaliBound is offline  
post #48 of 53 Old 12-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well I certainly made the DVDs of the series at the time. I was also the one who posted the fatuous comment about misplacing them. I still haven't found them since I haven't been looking for them. It was a bit of a joke as I keep all my archived series in alphabetical order. I just looked and there they were, under "R" where they should have been. There were 13 episodes, two per disk, seven disks total. If you want a copy of my disks PM me and we'll see if they are still readable.
Thank you for replying so quickly!
Would love to PM you but don't think I can yet because I do not have a sufficient # of posts to do so. I only joined up a few days ago. Am I allowed to give you my e-mail addy? Let me know and we can chat that way. Hope your holidays are safe and warm.
Lisa
CaliBound is offline  
post #49 of 53 Old 12-25-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBound View Post
Thank you for replying so quickly!
Would love to PM you but don't think I can yet because I do not have a sufficient # of posts to do so. I only joined up a few days ago. Am I allowed to give you my e-mail addy? Let me know and we can chat that way. Hope your holidays are safe and warm.
Lisa
Yes Luke would have to PM you with his email or number. You have to have a certain number of posts to be allowed to PM a member, supposed to help cut down on SPAM and such.
jjeff is offline  
post #50 of 53 Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes Luke would have to PM you with his email or number. You have to have a certain number of posts to be allowed to PM a member, supposed to help cut down on SPAM and such.
For some reason I cannot PM either you or Luke. I tried the two links to watch Rubicon. No dice. Need to go the dvd copy route. Please.
Hope everyone is having a good New Year. A healthy New Year.
Thank you!
CaliBound is offline  
post #51 of 53 Old 01-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rubicon DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes Luke would have to PM you with his email or number. You have to have a certain number of posts to be allowed to PM a member, supposed to help cut down on SPAM and such.
For some reason I cannot PM either you or Luke. I tried the two links to watch Rubicon. No dice. Need to go the dvd copy route. Please.
Hope everyone is having a good New Year. A healthy New Year.
Thank you!

Has anyone ever seen this website: buydvdus.com

Let me know how you want to go forward w/copying Rubycon

Thank you very much!
CaliBound is offline  
post #52 of 53 Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 3,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Back when this was on AMC I bought episodes from Amazon in HD. I can stream them to my Tivo or Roku any time I want. No iffy sites needed.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #53 of 53 Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I have no problem sending you copies of my DVDs, but I need an address to send them to. You need to find a secure way to get that to me. Maybe you just need to make a few posts until you get past the threshold. I have sent you another PM.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off