RUBICON - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Yeah, it's become either a joke or an annoyance. Almost every promotional ad on any AMC channel has the dish logo with a red circle and line through it. Many include the spoken phrase, not available on DISH. I wonder who they are trying to reach since DISH subscribers never see these ads on the AMC channels?

THose thinking of switching to DISH of course wink.gif they feel that they need to remind everyone 320948240923769 times a day, just in case you missed it the previous time it was said\shown...
Ph8te is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpboy View Post

Among my favorite shows of all time.
Probably didn't survive because it requires an attention span.

I liked this show, my wife really loved this show and won't watch anything on AMC to this day because they canceled it so quickly.
lokar is offline  
post #33 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpboy View Post

Among my favorite shows of all time.
Probably didn't survive because it requires an attention span.

I liked this show, my wife really loved this show and won't watch anything on AMC to this day because they canceled it so quickly.

I really liked it a lot, but my wife thought it was painfully slow. I tried to explain what was happening in each episode, but she just didn't get into it. That's fine I guess, because I never "get" the stuff that she does, like the 6000 hour (or so it seemed to me) version of sense and sensibilities. frown.gif

I thought it was one of the best pieces of television I had ever watched. The BRILLIANT touch of having the trigger pulled on the conspiracy in the next-to-the-last (penultimate) episode was inspired!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #34 of 41 Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Finally got to see this show. I also read all the comments on the prior thread. No sense adding any comments as I'm sure most of you have moved on. But why didn't Will pick up the damn dvd.

Since the prior thread ended, we have had to suffer through THE KILLING which somehow earned a second season while the far, far better RUBICON gets the axe. Go figure.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #35 of 41 Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Finally got to see this show. I also read all the comments on the prior thread. No sense adding any comments as I'm sure most of you have moved on. But why didn't Will pick up the damn dvd.

Since the prior thread ended, we have had to suffer through THE KILLING which somehow earned a second season while the far, far better RUBICON gets the axe. Go figure.

You know that the truth is, it's all about the numbers. Rubicon just didn't have the numbers. Of course, it didn't seem like it was terribly expensive, but it just was on the wrong side of the profit line. frown.gif I too was very disappointed, but I really couldn't fault the decision.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #36 of 41 Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

You know that the truth is, it's all about the numbers. Rubicon just didn't have the numbers. Of course, it didn't seem like it was terribly expensive, but it just was on the wrong side of the profit line. frown.gif I too was very disappointed, but I really couldn't fault the decision.

Plus it came at the same time as The Walking Dead, so unless it had stellar numbers, it wasnt going to make it.
Ph8te is online now  
post #37 of 41 Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Finally got to see this show. I also read all the comments on the prior thread. No sense adding any comments as I'm sure most of you have moved on. But why didn't Will pick up the damn dvd.
Since the prior thread ended, we have had to suffer through THE KILLING which somehow earned a second season while the far, far better RUBICON gets the axe. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

You know that the truth is, it's all about the numbers. Rubicon just didn't have the numbers. Of course, it didn't seem like it was terribly expensive, but it just was on the wrong side of the profit line. frown.gif I too was very disappointed, but I really couldn't fault the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Plus it came at the same time as The Walking Dead, so unless it had stellar numbers, it wasnt going to make it.

I agree that there were reasons completely unrelated to Rubicon's quality that contributed to its cancellation. I also agree that the renewal of The Killing after its execrable first season, followed by an equally terrible second season, made the cancellation of Rubicon even harder to take.
gwsat is offline  
post #38 of 41 Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that there were reasons completely unrelated to Rubicon's quality that contributed to its cancellation. I also agree that the renewal of The Killing after its execrable first season, followed by an equally terrible second season, made the cancellation of Rubicon even harder to take.

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.

I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #39 of 41 Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.
I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

Your apt expression of frustration over the terrific Rubicon having been cancelled while the terrible The Killing got two seasons elicited from me my low opinion of The Killing. I have always been careful to avoid being very explicit about my low opinion of the show in The Killing thread because a lot of those folks get very defensive about any word of criticism about the show there and that's understandable. I thought my frankness here, though, would probably create a lot less heartburn so I spoke out. Anyway, as you say, it's time to move on and get a life.smile.gif
gwsat is offline  
post #40 of 41 Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.
I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

That was my sentiment exactly which is why I just disregarded the last few minutes of THE Killing and left the show satisfied after just one season. It had reached my limit of the number of red herrings they took to the furthest possible point, I couldn't envision a 2nd season knowing that virtually everything seen in the first 2/3rds of the season would be relatively meaningless. But I did enjoy the ride for the first season.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #41 of 41 Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that there were reasons completely unrelated to Rubicon's quality that contributed to its cancellation. I also agree that the renewal of The Killing after its execrable first season, followed by an equally terrible second season, made the cancellation of Rubicon even harder to take.

Well said. The funny thing about the KILLING was the final episode of Season 1 was a complete and plausible conclusion. I assume this was by design in the event it was not given a second season. This theory is reinforced by the continued announcements that the "killer will be revealed" which we all believed (logically) applied to the conclusion of season 1. So a bit of editing of the last few minutesof that final episode was made, and, wahla, a second equally boring season was born.

I guess I should really let this go; move on; and get a life.

This was definitely my opinion as well. I didn't watch season two, except for the final episode. I had invested enough of my time (all of season one) to want to know who the killer was.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off