RUBICON - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I know there is a thread regarding "RUBICON" the popular, but cancelled (anyway) series on AMC, but I can't find the thread. Rubicon was shown on AMC in 2010, but I missed it. In any event, I see where Amazon is again offering the series via streaming video. It is FREE to "prime" Amazon members. Looks like I will finally be able to see this highly praised series via ROKU.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1258822/rubicon-on-amc-hd/0_50

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 41 Old 09-26-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That was the first time RUBICON and popular were ever used in the same post.

Argee
post #4 of 41 Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Oh, I dunno. I know it was popular in the ol' archihouse. Loved that show.
post #5 of 41 Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Oh, I dunno. I know it was popular in the ol' archihouse. Loved that show.
Well, unfortunately, if every member of your household was being rated individually, it might have just about doubled the audience...
post #6 of 41 Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I loved it too. I guess was the other half of the viewership...
post #7 of 41 Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Count me in as well......
post #8 of 41 Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Rubicon was one of my favorite series of all time. Just brilliant. The fact that fewer people watched it than Real Housewives of New Jersey says nothing about the quality of the show and everything about the stupidity of the American public.
post #9 of 41 Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I really liked it too, so it must have been popular with THIS audience. biggrin.gif The overall ratings were pretty bad though. Given the numbers, I understand why it was cancelled.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 41 Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59

Another ardent fan here. The problem with Rubicon was the viewer was required to use their brain to fully enjoy the show, thus limiting its' potential audience.

slowbiscuit likes this.
post #11 of 41 Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 12
Count me as another fan of the show that was disappointed when it was cancelled. What struck me about the show was how well each character was individually developed and the actors playing their role so well - especially Will (James Badge Dale), Kale (Arliss Howard), Truxton (Michael Cristofer) and Tonya (Lauren Hodges).
post #12 of 41 Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I loved Rubicon too. Its cancellation made me sick, sick, sick! I thought its curse was its being one of those shows that was just too smart and thoughtful for its own good.
post #13 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I loved Rubicon too. Its cancellation made me sick, sick, sick! I thought its curse was its being one of those shows that was just too smart and thoughtful for its own good.

Exactly right. AMC has shown it can be as ruthless as any other channel. Makes me fear for 'Hell on Wheels', another show I dearly love.
post #14 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I was also a big fan. Very sorry to see it canceled.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #15 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Based on this thread, it sounds like the wrong people are being counted in the ratings...
post #16 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Based on this thread, it sounds like the wrong people are being counted in the ratings...

Oh, that's something I've known for a long time. Nobody I know who appreciates quality TV has ever been a Nielsen family.
post #17 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh, that's something I've known for a long time. Nobody I know who appreciates quality TV has ever been a Nielsen family.
...of course, the problem with this forum is, quite a few members work in the industry and aren't allowed to participate (conflict of interest and all that).
post #18 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What really bugs me is no DVD/BD set has been produced yet. It may be possible to stream it (although not from Netflix), but I want a keeper set. It worries me that may never happen. I've written to AMC a couple of times asking but they never respond. They're not the most customer friendly network.
post #19 of 41 Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 10
Among my favorite shows of all time.

Probably didn't survive because it requires an attention span.
post #20 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpboy View Post

Among my favorite shows of all time.
Probably didn't survive because it requires an attention span.
Probably more so that it required you to actually sit and watch it. You'd miss too much if you channel surfed or did other things while the show was on.

That's the reason "Police Squad" failed: you couldn't just have it running in the background with all the many sight gags in tandem with the jokes. If you weren't sitting and watching closely, you missed half the comedy.
post #21 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What really bugs me is no DVD/BD set has been produced yet. It may be possible to stream it (although not from Netflix), but I want a keeper set. It worries me that may never happen. I've written to AMC a couple of times asking but they never respond. They're not the most customer friendly network.

Unless there is some masss undertaking by the fans it wont ever happen. AMC had officially stated there were no plans for a DVD\Blu-ray after the season ended. Really sad IMO, wish this show had the chance to properly end as well as get a physical media release....
post #22 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Probably more so that it required you to actually sit and watch it. You'd miss too much if you channel surfed or did other things while the show was on.
That's the reason "Police Squad" failed: you couldn't just have it running in the background with all the many sight gags in tandem with the jokes. If you weren't sitting and watching closely, you missed half the comedy.
Funny you should mention 'Police Squad', a truly inspired series. Leslie Nielsen himself told me when I met him in a bar one night (He bought me a beer! True story!) that it was the most fun thing he'd ever done in the business and that "America just wasn't ready for it." That was back in the 80's and we apparently still aren't ready.
post #23 of 41 Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Funny you should mention 'Police Squad', a truly inspired series. Leslie Nielsen himself told me when I met him in a bar one night (He bought me a beer! True story!) that it was the most fun thing he'd ever done in the business and that "America just wasn't ready for it." That was back in the 80's and we apparently still aren't ready.
I have no doubt readiness is decreasing at an alarming rate.

People don't want to sit and

**Twitter, twitter, twitter**

...watch TV anymore. They just want to

*** Twitter, Twitter...Facebook status...twitter*

...tweet about the shows they're tweeting during. Then they'll check each others Facebook pages to see if their friends are pretending to watch the same shows.
post #24 of 41 Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Unless there is some masss undertaking by the fans it wont ever happen. AMC had officially stated there were no plans for a DVD\Blu-ray after the season ended. Really sad IMO, wish this show had the chance to properly end as well as get a physical media release....

This I don't understand. They've already got the episodes. Just package them up and issue a box-set. It doesn't need to contain a lot of extras, maybe a commentary or two, maybe a few deleted scenes. It couldn't possibly cost more than the revenue they'd gain by selling the box-sets. Heck, I'd probably buy several just for X-mas presents, and judging by some of the comments here I'm not alone. Without it, this terrific show will just.... disappear - out of sight, out of mind.
post #25 of 41 Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This I don't understand. They've already got the episodes. Just package them up and issue a box-set. It doesn't need to contain a lot of extras, maybe a commentary or two, maybe a few deleted scenes. It couldn't possibly cost more than the revenue they'd gain by selling the box-sets. Heck, I'd probably buy several just for X-mas presents, and judging by some of the comments here I'm not alone. Without it, this terrific show will just.... disappear - out of sight, out of mind.

Believe me I am with you, what I posted was what the AMC rep had told a site when they inquired about the DVD/Blu-ray release. This show hit AMC at the wrong time really, they were in a shift from good TV regardless of ratings, to getting good shows with ratings. Rubicon aired with the Walking Dead, which basically signed the death notice for Rubicon. If this was a few years ago Rubicon would probably get a few seasons at least, now though (as we have seen) AMC wants the higer ratings that they know they can get.

IMO we will never see them hit the light of day, the only way to watch now is either "alternative methods" or you can watch via Amazon Prime Streaming\Itunes. NetFlix does not currently offer this show from what I see.......Id like nothing more than to have a Blu-ray of this show with a few extras, AMC just doesnt agree with us wink.gif
post #26 of 41 Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well in that case, I'm glad I made DVDs of the show and have saved them. It is definitely worth watching again. Now, where do you suppose I hid them?... biggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #27 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I will say this: at least you have the option to stream it.

What I hate is when studios tuck stuff away in the vaults where there are no means of any kind to watch it legally. Then they wonder why people pirate the stuff.

It's just as bad with "orphaned" shows, where the first season or two didn't well well, so they stop putting them out. That means we can't watch season 2 and on for "St. Elsewhere" or Season 4 and on for "Hill Street Blues" (Season 3 is streaming only) since they aren't being distributed through any other legal means (that I know of). Despite the fact that they stopped with season 4 on DVD, at least I can watch "NYPD Blue" online. Prior to that, there was no legal way to view Jimmy Smitz's final episodes.

It just kills me that the studios are willing to shove this stuff away instead of making a bulk deal with Amazon or Netflix to stream the stuff not out on disc relatively cheaply.
post #28 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

Believe me I am with you, what I posted was what the AMC rep had told a site when they inquired about the DVD/Blu-ray release. This show hit AMC at the wrong time really, they were in a shift from good TV regardless of ratings, to getting good shows with ratings. Rubicon aired with the Walking Dead, which basically signed the death notice for Rubicon. If this was a few years ago Rubicon would probably get a few seasons at least, now though (as we have seen) AMC wants the higer ratings that they know they can get.
IMO we will never see them hit the light of day, the only way to watch now is either "alternative methods" or you can watch via Amazon Prime Streaming\Itunes. NetFlix does not currently offer this show from what I see.......Id like nothing more than to have a Blu-ray of this show with a few extras, AMC just doesnt agree with us wink.gif

It appears AMC will not get their "high ratings" from DISH Network subscribers. The last time I looked, DISH had told AMC to take a hike as only DISH would ever do. I love it.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #29 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

It appears AMC will not get their "high ratings" from DISH Network subscribers. The last time I looked, DISH had told AMC to take a hike as only DISH would ever do. I love it.

We get reminded of this multiple times during every show ;-)......Its a shame really, but its pretty par for the course, I dont think Ive seen it taken this far before, but I am sure it will happen more often in the future....
post #30 of 41 Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

We get reminded of this multiple times during every show ;-)......Its a shame really, but its pretty par for the course, I dont think Ive seen it taken this far before, but I am sure it will happen more often in the future....

Yeah, it's become either a joke or an annoyance. Almost every promotional ad on any AMC channel has the dish logo with a red circle and line through it. Many include the spoken phrase, not available on DISH. I wonder who they are trying to reach since DISH subscribers never see these ads on the AMC channels?

Luke

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page