'Nashville' on ABC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
So, did anybody watch it other than me? Being a huge country music fan, I was really prepared to like this show from the beginning. However, it started off a bit slow but as the hour moved along and we got to see more about the various characters, I found myself liking it more and more. Parts of it felt like a cross between 'Country Strong' and 'Crazy Heart' but I guess that's not a bad thing. I'll keep watching but am interested if the ratings were as good as I'd hoped. For wat it's worth, only one of my 'e-mail buddies' bothered to watch or record it.

I'm in it for the long haul, however long that may be.
BoilerJim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm like the many reviewers who said while they were'nt fond of country music they were hooked on this show. I even liked some of the music.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #3 of 58 Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Just finished watching now. I wasn't sure because the whole two country stars b!tchin at each other and Powers Boothe playing the same old character he always plays is not what I want to see. However, the two in the bar singing the poems hooked me. So I guess the question is which direction are they going to go? Big power soap opera (holds nose) or study of creativity (which is what I would love to see).

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #4 of 58 Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 247
If Rayna teams up with Scarlett to take on Juliette (which is apparently going to be the case), I'm in for the time being. This show looks like it might be what Glee could have been, if it had been populated with characters instead of caricatures. Here's hoping Nashville lives up to all the critics' praise.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #5 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Much-hyped ABC country music drama bows to a 2.8

ABC’s “Nashville,” the much-hyped soap about an aging country music star, averaged a 2.8 adults 18-49 rating at 10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, winning its timeslot.

The rating was decent for a 10 p.m. show, and it became ABC’s best drama bow of the season.

The show did decline 17 percent from its first to its second half hour, and it lost 43 percent of lead-in “Modern Family’s” rating, though it retained more of “Family’s” audience than “Revenge,” the show that aired in the same hour last year.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #6 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Don S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I enjoyed it. I want to see a few more to see just how soapy it gets, but I liked the pilot.
Don S is offline  
post #7 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I watched because, since Friday Night Lights aired, I've been madly in love with Connie Britton. She is a as good as it gets on TV these days. The fact that she can actually sing makes her even more formidable. The show itself was pretty soap operaish but I'll hang with it to see where they take it.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #8 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I watched because, since Friday Night Lights aired, I've been madly in love with Connie Britton. She is a as good as it gets on TV these days. The fact that she can actually sing makes her even more formidable. The show itself was pretty soap operaish but I'll hang with it to see where they take it.
Yes, I never missed a single episode of Friday Night Lights and watched them all either "live" or DVR. When I saw Connie was starring in Nashville, that was good enough for me. It's also amazing how Hayden Panettiere has grown up since playing little Maddie on Ally McBeal and also the Cheerleader on Heros.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #9 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I watched because, since Friday Night Lights aired, I've been madly in love with Connie Britton. She is a as good as it gets on TV these days. The fact that she can actually sing makes her even more formidable. The show itself was pretty soap operaish but I'll hang with it to see where they take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Yes, I never missed a single episode of Friday Night Lights and watched them all either "live" or DVR. When I saw Connie was starring in Nashville, that was good enough for me. It's also amazing how Hayden Panettiere has grown up since playing little Maddie on Ally McBeal and also the Cheerleader on Heros.

I wandered off from Friday Night LIghts after Season 1 (don't ask). Nevertheless, I became a committed Connie Britton fan on the strength of her performances as the coach's wife. The other day, I found a rave review for Britton in Nashville. The critic who wrote the review also liked the show so, on the strength of that, I setup a season pass.

I liked the pilot. Powers Booth has always been one of my favorites. When he plays a scenery eating heavy, as he has done in too many performances to count, nobody is better. This is exactly what he does in Nashville, as Rayna's overbearing, manipulative daddy. I also liked Hayden Panettiere as Rayna's up and coming country music rival, Juliette. Juliette's is a complex interesting character, at once as manipulative as Rayna's daddy but also achingly vulnerable.

Finally the young singer, Scarlett and her guitar playing, backup singing, boyfriend Gunnar, were GREAT with If I Didn't Know Better. Scarlett is played by Clare Bowen, an Aussie, and Gunnar is played by Sam Palladio, a Brit. Never mind, they sounded pure Nashville to the ears of an old southern boy like me. If I Didn't Know Better was a wonderful song wonderfully performed.

Nashville has a real chance, I think. I'll be around for the foreseeable future.
gwsat is offline  
post #10 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ewing Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I also liked the show. I saw it as more of a mix between Country Strong and Dallas. Good to see Hayden, Connie, Powers as well as Eric Close. I think there will be some good character development.
mikeewing is offline  
post #11 of 58 Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I also liked the show. I saw it as more of a mix between Country Strong and Dallas. Good to see Hayden, Connie, Powers as well as Eric Close. I think there will be some good character development.

Yeah, Nashville has a strong upside. To return to Sam Palladio's duet with Clare Bowen of if I didn't Know Better, when he was singing the quiet passage in falsetto he reminded me of a young Mandy Patinkin. No surprise there, I guess, Palladio is a West End musical theater performer. Apparently he hasn't done anything on Broadway but what I saw in the Nashville pilot convinced me that he could handle a Broadway musical with aplomb.
gwsat is offline  
post #12 of 58 Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 93
This seems to be ABC's answer to "Treme" but with country music instead of jazz. Having worked in the music business I'll see how episode two is. There is just too much good content out there to waste time on any half-baked softened down TV series.
Brian Conrad is online now  
post #13 of 58 Old 10-14-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

I liked it and will stick with it for now, but I didn't think it was as terrific as its early buzz wanted me to believe.  I thought it improved in the 2nd half and also really enjoyed If I Didn't Know Better.  Quite a few characters were introduced right away which made it slightly difficult to follow, but overall pretty good.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The plot thickens... I've really enjoyed the series so far and was pleasantly surprised at how well Connie Britton can belt out a song.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #15 of 58 Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I'm enjoying the show and am even ok with the overbearing soapiness. Rayna's dad/husband problems are going to get more than annoying soon. Juliette's little dive is also petty. Would like to see Deacon completely free of Rayna which seems like it happened. My favorites to follow are Scarlett and Gunnar and hope they don't throw too many roadblocks there. The Scarlett and her boyfriend story is too tired. What would happen if the boyfriend actually supported his girlfriend? Haven't seen that before.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #16 of 58 Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yes, the Scarlett and Gunnar relationship is the most intriguing. What's the secret between Rayna's husband and Kimberly Williams-Paisley (Brad Paisley's wife)?? Did I miss something or have they just not revealed it yet?
BoilerJim is offline  
post #17 of 58 Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Judging by the way Rayna was teasing Teddy about Peggy having a thing for him and the way they arranged their clandestine meeting, it would seem that they had an affair in the past that nobody has thus far discovered.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #18 of 58 Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Judging by the way Rayna was teasing Teddy about Peggy having a thing for him and the way they arranged their clandestine meeting, it would seem that they had an affair in the past that nobody has thus far discovered.

 


That was how it appeared to me as well.  But, the fact that they only hinted at that and didn't make it more clear could mean there is more to it.  For instance, we know Teddy has financial improprieties in his past and she could be involved in that.  The show has grown on me from the pilot and I am enjoying it.  I could do without Scarlett's boyfriend and hope they wrap that up soon.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #19 of 58 Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Poor Connie Britton had that "deer in the headlights" look at the CMA Award Show last night when she and the other two gals from 'Nashville' were presenting an award.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #20 of 58 Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
The music was the only thing that kept me coming back to Nashville. The soap opera plots, though, have made my eyes glaze over. In this latest episode, there was so much soap opera and so little music. I fast forwarded through about the last two-thirds of it and was dismayed to discover that the only music was Rayna and Deacon's duet at the fund raiser, which I though was just OK. Anyway, I have cancelled my season pass and will move on to what I hope will be more fertile fields. In order to avoid the appearance of trollery, I will be canceling my subscription to this thread.
gwsat is offline  
post #21 of 58 Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I agree. Too much soap and I'm out. This season I dropped OUAT and Revenge. The latter, while a guilty pleasure, has started to add even more soap to its soapiness.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #22 of 58 Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Good episode last night (the plot thickens). Rayna (Connie Britton) looked AMAZING in that red dress!
BoilerJim is offline  
post #23 of 58 Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 17,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Good episode last night (the plot thickens). Rayna (Connie Britton) looked AMAZING in that red dress!

She's an awfully good-looking woman and age has been kind to her, unlike some of her peers. Makes up for the fact that she's not a very good actress (IMO). Her role in FNL was able to hide those shortcomings to a greater degree than AHS last year or this role this year.
archiguy is online now  
post #24 of 58 Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

She's an awfully good-looking woman and age has been kind to her, unlike some of her peers. Makes up for the fact that she's not a very good actress (IMO). Her role in FNL was able to hide those shortcomings to a greater degree than AHS last year or this role this year.
I disagree with your assessment of her acting, but we all have our favorites and our opinions. I've liked her ever since she was on Spin City and especially on Friday Night Lights. I've never seen American Horror Story.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #25 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does anyone know if the duet from last week's show has been posted to the net somewhere, and what the title of it is?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #26 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Does anyone know if the duet from last week's show has been posted to the net somewhere, and what the title of it is?

Bobby 

bobby94928 is offline  
post #27 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Man, Scarlett and Gunnar are frustrating me. This was the songwriting and performing duo that I thought would transcend the soap and it has become the stupidest, soapiest part of this show. Just let them write and sing. I don't give a crap who loves who.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #28 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 61
@bobby94928

I have the video. I was looking for the release of the song without the voiceover in the middle of it. But, at least I have the title now. Thanks.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #29 of 58 Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Man, Scarlett and Gunnar are frustrating me. This was the songwriting and performing duo that I thought would transcend the soap and it has become the stupidest, soapiest part of this show. Just let them write and sing. I don't give a crap who loves who.
Yes, that relationship is getting tedious.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #30 of 58 Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

She's an awfully good-looking woman and age has been kind to her, unlike some of her peers. Makes up for the fact that she's not a very good actress (IMO). Her role in FNL was able to hide those shortcomings to a greater degree than AHS last year or this role this year.

Couldn't disagree more about Connie Britton. In FNL her conversation/crosstalk scenes with Kyle Chandler were among the best I've ever seen for a TV married couple. She's very good in Nashville as well.
Cal1981 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off