post #1 of 44 Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
VdfpE.jpg

About the show:

From "X-Files" writer and producer Frank Spotnitz comes this eight-episode drama set in the world of international espionage. Golden Globe nominee Melissa George stars as an operative for an elite private intelligence firm who survives an attempt on her life that may have been orchestrated by members of her own team; when she returns to work, she doesn't know who to trust. The series is shooting in Europe and debuts this fall on Cinemax.

Other cast members include Adam Raymer ("Hawthorne"), Stephen Dillane ("Game of Thrones" "John Adams"), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje ("Lost" "Strike Back"), Morven Christie ("The Sinking of the Laconia"), Lex Shrapnel ("Captain America: The First Avenger"), Uriel Emil ("Criminal Justice"), Patrick Malahide ("Five Days" "Billy Elliot"), Stephen Campbell Moore ("The Bank Job" "History Boys") and Oscar Kennedy ("Toast").
SJ Clarkson directs the first two episodes; Frank Spotnitz, Alison Jackson, Jane Featherstone, Stephen Garrett, Christopher Aird executive produce.
The series is produced by Kudos Film & Television ("MI-5" "Life on Mars"), in association with Big Light Productions for Cinemax and the BBC.

You can watch "Hunted" on Cinemax on Friday's at 9:00 PM CST starting with the series premier on Friday, October 19, 2012.

For more information about "Hunted", please see the official website below.
http://www.cinemax.com/hunted/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
One of my UK friends has been watching and enjoying this (probably because Melissa George is in it, but I can't blame him for that) because it's been on for a few weeks there.

If you like Strike Back you'll probably enjoy this. As The Guardian puts it:

"Spooks may have gone for good. But what if there were a new, even more loopy spy thriller to take its place? A big, daft, posturing show which could make someone having their face shoved in a deep fat fryer look like The Good Life?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/oct/04/hunted-series-one-episode-one (contains spoilers)

Cinemax is starting to look like it's worth having for once. I haven't subbed for years but with shows like this it's rekindling my interest.

post #3 of 44 Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 356
And here's a interview with Melissa George. I never knew she was up for the role of Sydney Bristow in Alias.

'Hunted's' Melissa George 'really wanted' to star in 'Alias'
By Jay Bobbin August 16, 2012

Melissa George agrees that in a sense, she's revisiting one of her past television projects with her newest one.

Largely known for grueling roles in movies that have become cable staples ("30 Days of Night," "Triangle," "A Lonely Place to Die"), the actress did a stint on ABC's "Alias" as traitorous spy Lauren Reed. She'll be back in the world of espionage as private-security operative Sam Hunter -- on the run across Europe while seeking whoever tried to kill her -- in Cinemax's original series "Hunted," premiering Friday, Oct. 19.

"It was down to Jennifer [Garner] and me for 'Alias' a long time ago, and I really wanted it," George tells Zap2it while resting up from the demanding "Hunted" shoot on vacation in Corsica. "Then I got 'Thieves,' which was on the same network. They put me on that when I didn't get 'Alias' ... and then, of course, 'Thieves' got canceled.

"Then, J.J. Abrams said, 'Perfect. We'll put you on as the evil Lauren Reed.' I knew everyone was going to hate me, but I said, 'OK. I'll do it.' Then when I got this, I thought, 'If I could take the role of Sydney Bristow but put it in a world that's European, making it a little more like 'The Bourne Identity' and 'Taken' but be less polished, I would be thrilled.'"

That's pretty much what "Hunted" is, and George maintains she has no worries about Ashley Judd's somewhat similar ABC series "Missing" having come first -- and having met its fate relatively soon.

"I'm not an expert on network vs. cable," George allows, "and I'll be back on a network show one of these days, but they don't sit on the set tearing out [script] pages when you're working for an HBO or a Cinemax. They hire the right people, then it's a collaboration where there's not a lot of input from second parties.

"They allow you to create, and there's something about being left alone that I think brings a bit of magic."

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/08/hunteds-melissa-george-really-wanted-to-star-in-alias.html

post #4 of 44 Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks good - I'm in!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #5 of 44 Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tonight!!

Thanks VisionOn for the postings.
post #6 of 44 Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Overall, I liked it. Seemed a little slow pace at times but the background is just forming. I liked her flashbacks. The stabbing through the eye was brutal. Oh, I loved the scenes where she was running through-out the mountains. That was nice tongue.gif

I'll watch again next week. I'm interested to see what this becomes.
post #7 of 44 Old 10-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Overall, I liked it. Seemed a little slow pace at times but the background is just forming. I liked her flashbacks. The stabbing through the eye was brutal. Oh, I loved the scenes where she was running through-out the mountains. That was nice tongue.gif
I'll watch again next week. I'm interested to see what this becomes.

+1

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #8 of 44 Old 10-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I enjoyed it - but I also thoroughly enjoyed Strike Back.
post #9 of 44 Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hunted is another foreign show on Cinemax? I noticed both of their original programming is foreign, Strike Back and Hunted.
post #10 of 44 Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

One of my UK friends has been watching and enjoying this (probably because Melissa George is in it, but I can't blame him for that) because it's been on for a few weeks there.
If you like Strike Back you'll probably enjoy this. As The Guardian puts it:

"Spooks may have gone for good. But what if there were a new, even more loopy spy thriller to take its place? A big, daft, posturing show which could make someone having their face shoved in a deep fat fryer look like The Good Life?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/oct/04/hunted-series-one-episode-one (contains spoilers)
Cinemax is starting to look like it's worth having for once. I haven't subbed for years but with shows like this it's rekindling my interest.

Its funny-I watched the 1st ep. of Strikeback and thought it was a poorer version of MI-5 (Spooks).Now a british guy references the same show in relation to Hunted. Thanks for the info, have to check it out.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #11 of 44 Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I enjoyed it - but I also thoroughly enjoyed Strike Back.

I watched it during a Cinemax "free preview" on Cox. It was OK, but I'm not convinced that it is worth $10-$14/month for a Cinemax subscription.

Anything else good on Cinemax?
post #12 of 44 Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I watched it during a Cinemax "free preview" on Cox. It was OK, but I'm not convinced that it is worth $10-$14/month for a Cinemax subscription.

If you already have HBO and aren't into softcore then no. $10-14/mo is a bit steep. Most multichannel providers throw it in for $5 or so/mo more if you have HBO. Dish even gave it away for $0.01/year with automated/paperless billing for awhile.

I liked it. It was slower than "Strikeback," but it had more of a story.
post #13 of 44 Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

If you already have HBO and aren't into softcore then no. $10-14/mo is a bit steep. Most multichannel providers throw it in for $5 or so/mo more if you have HBO. Dish even gave it away for $0.01/year with automated/paperless billing for awhile.

I liked it. It was slower than "Strikeback," but it had more of a story.

I have NO premium channels at all. Most movies I've already seen on Blu-ray (shared Netflix subscription with a neighbor.) I guess that is why HBO has more and more original stuff. Too much TV...too little time.
post #14 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Creepy ending. I'm not too sure about this show, a little slow.
post #15 of 44 Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We'll see where tonight goes.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I watched the first two episodes and found them to be moderately entertaining. To put it gently, Melissa George is not the world's best actress but the ensemble cast is pretty good, so I have stuck around until now. As I am a sucker for spy thrillers, I hope that Hunted will continue to be worth the time I spend on it. The ambiguous nature of the events that led to Sam's shooting and the loss of her unborn child, has been intriguing. Anxious to see what tonight's episode reveals.
post #17 of 44 Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I have lost interest. Just something about it that doesn't "grab" me. I noticed this thread isn't very active, does that mean people do not like it?
post #18 of 44 Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 169
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). cool.gif

TV Notes
'Hunted' Canceled? Not So Fast, Says Cinemax
By Maureen Ryan, HuffingonPost.com

Is the Cinemax spy drama "Hunted" canceled? Well, that depends on what country you live in.

According to UK news reports, the BBC has chosen not to go further with the series, which didn't meet ratings expectations for the network.

But "Hunted" has more than one home, and Cinemax, the drama's US network and co-producer, still has plans for the Melissa George show. "Hunted" is midway through its first season, which was generally well-received on this side of the Atlantic.

"We are making plans with creator and executive producer Frank Spotnitz and star Melissa George to present a new chapter in the Sam Hunter mythology. We are very pleased with what 'Hunted' has done for Cinemax's brand and are very excited about what lies ahead," Kary Antholis, president of HBO miniseries and Cinemax programming, said in a statement released by Cinemax today.

I'm glad there's still life in "Hunted," for a few reasons: As I wrote in my review and in this piece, I think "Hunted" is a well-crafted espionage drama that manages to provide a lot of action and suspense as it also thoughtfully examines the implications of corporate espionage. It has a few flaws, sure, but overall it's a well-acted, atmospheric and worthwhile serialized drama -- and it's also a great showcase for excellent supporting performers such as Stephen Dillane and Patrick Malahide.

As it happens, I just recently finished catching up with the two seasons of "Strike Back" that aired on Cinemax in 2011 and 2012, and while that show is a much more straight-ahead action-adventure drama, it also has some interesting things to say about outsourced conflicts, damaged people and geopolitical dirty tricks. Smart yet escapist adventure that is unafraid of serialization is a very smart niche for Cinemax to fill, and I hope that "Hunted," which wraps up its debut season in a few weeks, remains part of it.

Based on the statement from the network, I'm hopeful that Sam has a future on alongside Section 20.

If you are watching "Hunted," or you're planning to catch up, return to this site after the season finale for an extensive interview with creator Frank Spotnitz that should answer many of the questions you might have. A non-spoilery section of my interview with Spotnitz is here, and a clip of "Game of Thrones" veteran Malahide in "Hunted" is on that post and below as well.

"Hunted" airs at 10 p.m. ET on Fridays on Cinemax.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/hunted-canceled_n_2138562.html
post #19 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I think I have lost interest. Just something about it that doesn't "grab" me. I noticed this thread isn't very active, does that mean people do not like it?

It kind of jumped the shark when they started the whole hourglass conspiracy thing. I've already seen that whole powerful families conspiring to take over the world thing in "Torchwood" and nearly every other show.
post #20 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

It kind of jumped the shark when they started the whole hourglass conspiracy thing. I've already seen that whole powerful families conspiring to take over the world thing in "Torchwood" and nearly every other show.

I'm going to stick with Hunted until the end of the season but agree that the show has been less than must see TV. Melissa George, to put it gently, is limited and the plots get progressively sillier. I guess my continuing to watch the show is an indication of what a sucker I am for spy thrillers.
post #21 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I like Melissa George but this series is a bit of a snooze fest for me,

Strike Back, on the other hand, is a terrific guilty pleasure...

Robert Clark
post #22 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I like Melissa George but this series is a bit of a snooze fest for me,
Strike Back, on the other hand, is a terrific guilty pleasure...

First, I agree that Strike Back is, indeed, "a terrific guilty pleasure."smile.gif Second, after I posted earlier, I saw this week's Hunted episode and thought it was quite good. Although, I have little regard for Melissa George's talent, I thought this week's show was very well written. I particularly enjoyed how the writers made clear what a weakfish doofus is Jack Turner, son of the evil and desperate, Jack Turner. There was a lot else I liked this week, too. Thus, I am looking forward to the season finale and will be around into next season, too, assuming there is a next season.
post #23 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I enjoyed Hunted, too bad it's been canned by the BBC. Enjoy the 8 episodes they made... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
- the last ep leaves many unanswered questions that were supposed to be addressed in season two. frown.gif
Cinemax is looking into renewing it without the BBC partner, but they have already stated that none of the cast except for M.G. would be in the new series and the series would take a different direction focusing on Sam Hunter (Melissa George) as a spy rather than the previous conspiracy against her by her agency.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #24 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If Cinemax decides to renew Hunted and the supporting cast is canned but Melissa George returns as Sam Hunter, I suspect I will cancel my season pass. As noted in earlier posts, I have thought that Hunted's weakness was the beautiful but only sem-italented George but that its strength was its talented supporting players, especially Stephen Dilane as the enigmatic Rupert Keel.
post #25 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

If Cinemax decides to renew Hunted and the supporting cast is canned but Melissa George returns as Sam Hunter, I suspect I will cancel my season pass. As noted in earlier posts, I have thought that Hunted's weakness was the beautiful but only sem-italented George but that its strength was its talented supporting players, especially Stephen Dilane as the enigmatic Rupert Keel.
I agree, it was actually the supporting cast that made the show worth watching. It was highly marginal in quality to me anyway, and with the cast all gone but George it's an easy delete.

By the way, if anyone understood the ending I would love to hear your thoughts.
post #26 of 44 Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

By the way, if anyone understood the ending I would love to hear your thoughts.
Has ep# 8 shown here in the states?
There's a long post on the IMDB page for Hunted where one viewer goes in to great detail explaining the ending... once you read it you'll understand things a bit better.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #27 of 44 Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

There's a long post on the IMDB page for Hunted where one viewer goes in to great detail explaining the ending... once you read it you'll understand things a bit better.

Episode 8 airs this Friday, December 7th.

post #28 of 44 Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks.

** The below link contains spoilers.**
There was also a link to a post Frank Spotnitz makes at the BBC site with more explanation.
post #29 of 44 Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Thanks, there was also a link to a post Frank Spotnitz makes at the BBC site with more explanation.
For those in the USA who haven't seen episode 8 yet- don't visit the above link.... yet.

post #30 of 44 Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For those in the USA who haven't seen episode 8 yet- don't visit the above link.... yet.
Yes it does, sorry about that, I just posted a warning in the original post.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page