post #451 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

If your recording got cut off, the episode is already on the FX website.

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/theamericans

They made a facebook post about the DVR cutting off.

Good Ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Great episode last night. I hope more people eventually discover this show and that it wins the awards it deserves.

More regular characters have died in this show than die in The Walking Dead! smile.gif

I don't know about that, Walking Dead sure kills off a lot of people.

post #453 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Wow, just wow, another tremendous ep. Is this the best freaking show nobody's watching or what? I can't wait to see what happens every week. There's so much that both sides don't know about what the other is doing, and the actions taken as a result are always interesting to watch. It's just very well played all around.
post #454 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
post #455 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
I had the same DVR cut-off issue as well, even though I've padded the end time on this show by 2 minutes. Just watched the last 10 seconds online thanks to the above-mentioned link. All I can say is eek.gif.

I'll never be able to look at Stan the same way again.
post #456 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for the link, my DVR cut off prior to the Stan getting the burgers!
post #457 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One of the things this show does so well is show the unexpected way things can spiral out of control in an unpredictable manner. Spies have to roll with whatever happens, rely on their training, and hope for the best. Philip couldn't have seen the wildcard that was Chris - suspicious because evidently no woman just flat turns him down.

And once Chris confronted him, there was really no way out. Even if Chris had gone down with the first punch and hadn't drawn first a gun, then a knife, Philip's cover with his spy was blown, and would probably have unraveled when the woman got questioned about him back at the office. There were probably no good options at that point that didn't end with Chris' demise.
post #458 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
From HOTP thread

TV Notes
FX To Rerun Most Recent Episode Of ‘The Americans’ Online Due To Listings Error
By the Deadline.com - Apr. 4, 2013

FX says it is posting last night’s episode of The Americans on its website because of an error by its publicity department.

“The correct listings information was not properly disseminated to television listings services that provide information to media outlets, cable and satellite providers. As a result of the error, electronic guides which trigger the run times of DVRs incorrectly recorded the total running time of one hour (10-11 PM), therefore cutting off the final seven minutes of the episode”, FX said in a statement.

John Solberg, SVP of Media Relations, FX Networks, apologized to the show’s fans, calling the error “regrettable”.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/fx-to-rerun-most-recent-episode-of-the-americans-online-due-to-listings-error/
post #459 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:

If your recording got cut off, the episode is already on the FX website.

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/theamericans

Thanks for the heads up! I watched the last nearly 4 minutes that were cut off of my recording on the FX site. I don't know who screwed up on the scheduling but somebody sure did.

Edit: Just read post 458, which explained that FX confessed to the scheduling error.
post #460 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wasn't Chris from Philly??? Came back and went to the body then the right cross, [good Rocky combination] should have stayed on Phillip then, not stepped back and pulled his knife, or at least gone for his gun in the parking lot. My DVR cut off the last part too... Good episode...
post #461 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I hadn't watched this week's episode yet, so I figured I'd just find the rerun that must be there somewhere. The following week, Thursday is where they are. Never thought of doing it before, but you could record the two reruns together and see two at once if you didn't mind being a week behind.

Anyhow, reason for posting, it still lists it as 1 hour.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #462 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I hadn't watched this week's episode yet, so I figured I'd just find the rerun that must be there somewhere. The following week, Thursday is where they are. Never thought of doing it before, but you could record the two reruns together and see two at once if you didn't mind being a week behind.

Sunday 11pm PST on the west coast adjust for your time zone is the next reshowing of the episode that had the ending cut short . I set mine to record but I did watch it on-line so I'm up to speed .

sometimes on-line you have to pre-register your cable/sat provider info with the FX site to be able to watch a streaming feed of a whole show . seems you only have to do it once if your device/PC keeps cookies . smile.gif I got right on the episode as soon as I got the right page ,clicked near the end on the d/l bar & watched the last 8 minutes as soon after reading the above posts .
those who can't access the site can catch the repeat on FX @ Sunday 11pm PST on the west coast
****** again adjust for your time zone ! ! ! ! ********

Ya Been Warned wink.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #463 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had setup the rerun to record Safe House on my DVR but when I saw the post about it being available on the FX site I decided to watch it there instead. I only needed to watch the 4 minutes I had missed on my DVR's recording so I decided streaming was the way to go. Anyway, I can report that the rerun of Safe House is scheduled to run on FX one hour after the first showing of the episode after Safe House concludes. According to my TiVo program guide, the rerun will be shown at 11:00 PM CDT.
post #464 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I had setup the rerun to record Safe House on my DVR but when I saw the post about it being available on the FX site I decided to watch it there instead. I only needed to watch the 4 minutes I had missed on my DVR's recording so I decided streaming was the way to go. Anyway, I can report that the rerun of Safe House is scheduled to run on FX one hour after the first showing of the episode after Safe House concludes. According to my TiVo program guide, the rerun will be shown at 11:00 PM CDT.
Yeah the Sunday showing was the only one that was out there @ time I watched the chopped ending episode ( as it was past the Thursday reshowing when I watched my DVR , just by minutes I might add ) wink.gif , THANX to the guys who posted about the website streaming ,so I got my FIX ! this all went down Just after I watched my recording & I was Swearing at the TV , DirecTV,FX & the Dog . I was fit to be tied mad.gif .. Jumped on here & got the correct info & was satisfied in a few minutes . I stay off the thread till I watch the "The Americans" as I don't want any spoilers , so I was dually pissed about the chopped ending !
I read today that FX put out a press release that they would now be showing multiple re-showings this week & apologized for the data corruption sent to the scheduling services used by the sat/cable co's used to program customers's DVR's eek.gif
It was a Huge Fooock-up on FX's part as "The Americans " is a big hit for FX smile.gif

I agree , I love this show It's really growing on me ,

Stan is my Hero ! eek.gif & he's about to go off the rails tongue.gif

Mike

post #465 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Sunday 11pm PST on the west coast adjust for your time zone is the next reshowing of the episode that had the ending cut short . I set mine to record but I did watch it on-line so I'm up to speed .

I think we're both a little confused smile.gif When I said Thursday above, I was looking at a listing of all episodes - in my time zone that puts the rerun of Safe House on "Thursday" but of course, it's Wed. night, after the re-show of the current episode.

The Sunday one you're referring to is that stupid "3 minute" deal, so if you want to grab the whole episode, it's two hours after the next airing of a new episode, Wed. night. Whew ...

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #466 of 1082 Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think we're both a little confused smile.gif When I said Thursday above, I was looking at a listing of all episodes - in my time zone that puts the rerun of Safe House on "Thursday" but of course, it's Wed. night, after the re-show of the current episode.

The Sunday one you're referring to is that stupid "3 minute" deal, so if you want to grab the whole episode, it's two hours after the next airing of a new episode, Wed. night. Whew ...
at the time I set the recording that wasn't a 3 minute version (the sunday time slot ) , went to my to do list & it showed a full version still there & then in about 15 seconds it flashed for a second & it updated to a 3 minute version . so FX tweaked it & the DVR updated the recording on the fly when I highlighted it . . tongue.gif glad I got the online version when I did , i'd would have been pissed if I went to watch & only got the 3 minute highlight .
So on 2nd thought it might be that it just was a 3 minute version anyway but as was the 1st broadcast the info was corrupted & the 10pm Sunday info was corrupted as well .
because I thought it was odd to have a full version on Sunday night late when I set the DVR & I did double check at the time it was a full version , ( as I once recorded a "Justified" that was a 3 minute , so I knew to check )
I've seen ABC do the same thing last year changing a schedule in just hours before a broadcast in the election season that actually changed on DirecTV's guide before my eyes. . Amazing what the broadcasters can do these days with just a few keystrokes .
anyway back on topic ;

Do you think Stan is gonna go "Off BooK " again ?

Mike

post #467 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you think Stan is gonna go "Off BooK " again ?

Stan is seriously screwed up. His marriage is failing, he has started a sexual relationship and is falling in love with the young Russian employee at the Rezidentura. To make matters worse, Stan is deathly afraid that the girl will be exposed before he can get her out. As if that weren't enough, after his partner and best friend, Chris Amador, disappeared under suspicions circumstances Stan went off book to capture a kid KGB agent. Then when Amador's body was found, Stan took revenge by killing the KGB kid in cold blood. I think it's fair to say that Stan has been making some really bad choices.smile.gif More seriously, the guy is an emotional basket case so there's simply no telling what self destructive thing he might do next.

How well the arc of Stan's story has worked is a great example of how well written The Americans is. There's no telling what Stan had to do when he was undercover with the drug gang to protect his cover; I have to believe that some of it was ugly, so there's no telling how much all of that predisposed him to go off the rails as he has done since being reassigned to Washington.
post #468 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I don't know about that, Walking Dead sure kills off a lot of people.
eek.gif Don't you remember when Stan wanted to roast Rick and the rest of the group at the end of season 1 ?

Boy! Ole Stan sure gets around...
post #469 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Stan is seriously screwed up. His marriage is failing, he has started a sexual relationship and is falling in love with the young Russian employee at the Rezidentura. To make matters worse, Stan is deathly afraid that the girl will be exposed before he can get her out. As if that weren't enough, after his partner and best friend, Chris Amador, disappeared under suspicions circumstances Stan went off book to capture a kid KGB agent. Then when Amador's body was found, Stan took revenge by killing the KGB kid in cold blood. I think it's fair to say that Stan has been making some really bad choices.smile.gif More seriously, the guy is an emotional basket case so there's simply no telling what self destructive thing he might do next.

How well the arc of Stan's story has worked is a great example of how well written The Americans is. There's no telling what Stan had to do when he was undercover with the drug gang to protect his cover; I have to believe that some of it was ugly, so there's no telling how much all of that predisposed him to go off the rails as he has done since being reassigned to Washington.

I totally agree The Americans is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows, its seems to mix elements of Rubicon and Homeland (another 2 of my favorites)......Glad to seee this got corrected and they posted the episode online, I had a feeling of what was going to happen, but seeing it made all the difference, Stan although he tries to be "squeaky" is just as slippery as the rest wink.gif if not more so...
post #470 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I had a feeling of what was going to happen, but seeing it made all the difference, Stan although he tries to be "squeaky" is just as slippery as the rest wink.gif if not more so...

Right now, Stan is a classic loose cannon, a danger to both himself and others.
post #471 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What I'm wondering about is what Stan's boss is going to do when he finds out? Stan went rogue. The other unfortunate thing was the young KGB agent admitting he was KGB. If he had just not admitted it, he might have saved his own life. Stan was determined to extract an eye for an eye. He may not have been able to bring himself to shoot a mere clerk working at the embassy. He may have that much humanity left.
post #472 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

What I'm wondering about is what Stan's boss is going to do when he finds out? Stan went rogue. The other unfortunate thing was the young KGB agent admitting he was KGB. If he had just not admitted it, he might have saved his own life. Stan was determined to extract an eye for an eye. He may not have been able to bring himself to shoot a mere clerk working at the embassy. He may have that much humanity left.

That's a good point. By confessing he was KGB, the young, green, and scared kid probably signed his own death warrant.

Stan is in such a deep hole I don't see how all this can end except disastrously for him.
post #473 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

Stan was determined to extract an eye for an eye. He may not have been able to bring himself to shoot a mere clerk working at the embassy. He may have that much humanity left.

That sort of touches on the most telling element of the scene for me, which was that Stan chose to shoot the guy from behind. If he really had completely lost touch with his humanity, I would think that Stan would have shot the guy to his face, because he wanted to see the guy squirm as he was pulling out his gun. The fact that he did it from behind indicated to me that Stan still felt some shame over what he was doing, rather than outright enjoying it beyond exacting his revenge.
post #474 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

For all we know Stan's boss ordered the killing . Now that they had him , think about it , they couldn't just let him go eek.gif

Stan's boss wanted a kill anyway & the whole Op was "Off Book" So they had to get rid of him anyway or the higher up's would/might become aware of the off book op by letting the guy go & the chance that would cause blow back .

Mike

post #475 of 1082 Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For all we know Stan's boss ordered the killing . Now that they had him , think about it , they couldn't just let him go eek.gif

Stan's boss wanted a kill anyway & the whole Op was "Off Book" So they had to get rid of him anyway or the higher up's would/might become aware of the off book op by letting the guy go & the chance that would cause blow back .

You beat me to it. Stan's boss was thirsting for revenge, so whether or not he gave Stan a green light in advance to kill the KGB guy, Stan might have figured that his boss would forgive him anyway,
post #476 of 1082 Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have a different take on Stan's "humanity". Early in the episode, he opted out of the off book killing, for the very reason that it was off book. What brought him back into the act was the fact that his partner had apparently been taken, probably tortured, and presumably would be killed - at least that seemed to be his take on things. The entire episode showed his "humanity" once he realized his partner was in danger: the flashbacks to the development of their relationship (which also served to flesh out the character of his partner), the pressure he brought to bear on the informant, his opt in on the planned abduction, and of course his actions during/after the abduction, including the direct threat to the head of the Russian embassy. I particularly liked the depiction of the various things Stan did as he tried to figure out what had happened - it seemed as though he realized his partner was abducted (albeit unintentionally) long before the apparatus came to the conclusion.

I would argue that all of his actions were driven by his "humanity" as defined by his relationship and his loyalty to his partner. The brutal death of his partner (and the observation at the site that his partner had been dumped there after his death, which was slow and painful) was the trigger to his actions with the Russian. He abided by the code of spies as defined in the show. I don't see how he could do anything other than what he did, given what had driven him to that point. It was done in direct response to the torture (in his eyes) and death of his partner.
post #477 of 1082 Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
How about... Stan killed the kid KGB agent so that no one in the FBI would dare question his loyalty given he wants to keep bedding the girl? Counter double agent strategy circa the time period, etc.

Arvy
post #478 of 1082 Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

I have a different take on Stan's "humanity". Early in the episode, he opted out of the off book killing, for the very reason that it was off book. What brought him back into the act was the fact that his partner had apparently been taken, probably tortured, and presumably would be killed - at least that seemed to be his take on things. The entire episode showed his "humanity" once he realized his partner was in danger: the flashbacks to the development of their relationship (which also served to flesh out the character of his partner), the pressure he brought to bear on the informant, his opt in on the planned abduction, and of course his actions during/after the abduction, including the direct threat to the head of the Russian embassy. I particularly liked the depiction of the various things Stan did as he tried to figure out what had happened - it seemed as though he realized his partner was abducted (albeit unintentionally) long before the apparatus came to the conclusion.

I would argue that all of his actions were driven by his "humanity" as defined by his relationship and his loyalty to his partner. The brutal death of his partner (and the observation at the site that his partner had been dumped there after his death, which was slow and painful) was the trigger to his actions with the Russian. He abides by the code of spies as defined in the show. I don't see how he could do anything other than what he did, given what had driven him to that point. It was done in direct response to the torture (in his eyes) and death of his partner.
I agree 100% on the above ,
Stan knew his partner was gone/abducted as soon as he heard the phone messages , the one from a women asking Amador to call back was most telling (Stan knew Amador would never pass up pussy) also Amador would also call his mom back 1st thing .

Stan also knew,as did his boss, that Amador was stabbed & then kept alive meaning he was tortured. And as the Boss suggested that he 'might' had give up the mole . Stan knew that Amador was "All In " & never would have given up the mole . He only gave up the Off Book Op when time had passed 5 o'clock .
there for Stan's reason he went off book was to save his partner & then after finding they had held him , then tortured & killed him , Stan revenged the killing for his partner with the KGB agent . The shot in the back of the head sends a message of assassination .
Now everything is quite personal for Stan going forward , I look for him to throw himself into the investigation 110% where before it was 100% .
His love for his wife & family ,the mole , country now takes a backseat to revenge .

Mike

post #479 of 1082 Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I agree 100% on the above ,
Stan knew his partner was gone/abducted as soon as he heard the phone messages , the one from a women asking Amador to call back was most telling (Stan knew Amador would never pass up pussy) also Amador would also call his mom back 1st thing .

Stan also knew,as did his boss, that Amador was stabbed & then kept alive meaning he was tortured. And as the Boss suggested that he 'might' had give up the mole . Stan knew that Amador was "All In " & never would have given up the mole . He only gave up the Off Book Op when time had passed 5 o'clock .
there for Stan's reason he went off book was to save his partner & then after finding they had held him , then tortured & killed him , Stan revenged the killing for his partner with the KGB agent . The shot in the back of the head sends a message of assassination .
Now everything is quite personal for Stan going forward , I look for him to throw himself into the investigation 110% where before it was 100% .
His love for his wife & family ,the mole , country now takes a backseat to revenge .

I'm leaning more to Stan was ordered to kill him. As was said by someone else, what else were they going to do with the guy? Stan is still "out there" though, definately a loose cannon. Phillip isn't too far from becoming one himself-did they ever tell their boss about the FBI guy? Or just handle it all themseves?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #480 of 1082 Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I'm leaning more to Stan was ordered to kill him. As was said by someone else, what else were they going to do with the guy? Stan is still "out there" though, definately a loose cannon. Phillip isn't too far from becoming one himself-did they ever tell their boss about the FBI guy? Or just handle it all themseves?

I agree that Stan was pretty certain he would survive executing the KGB kid, whether he got the order from his boss in advance, likely, or he thought his bloodthirsty boss would forgive him after the fact, which is almost as likely.
Reply HDTV Programming