'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1064 Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Maybe when 'The Millers' gets cancelled she'll have enough free time to come back as a regular! Because that would be awesome. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1064 Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ad ran stating The Americans will be back in February 2014 ran during the recent episode of Sons of Anarchy.
post #633 of 1064 Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Maybe when 'The Millers' gets cancelled she'll have enough free time to come back as a regular! Because that would be awesome. smile.gif
The Millers is horrible, unwatchable, generic sitcom stuff. I think it's a mind control plot conceived and carried out by Claudia.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #634 of 1064 Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
This is wonderful news. I was disappointed when she bowed out of this show to do sitcom drek instead. Here's hoping The Millers dies quickly so she can return full time.
post #635 of 1064 Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From Variety.com via the HOTP thread...

CBS has handed full seasons to freshman comedies “The Crazy Ones,” “The Millers” and “Mom.”

The back-nine orders arrive after a strong showing by the Eye Thursday night, as “The Millers” and “The Crazy Ones” helped CBS sweep in total viewers and adults 18-49 with “The Big Bang Theory” serving as a juggernaut lead-in. This week, “The Millers” nabbed 12.2 million viewers overall in its Thursday 8:30 p.m. timeslot, and “Crazy Ones” drew 9.5 million at 9 p.m

Well, crap. frown.gif
post #636 of 1064 Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Why do you hate us so, CBS? frown.gif
post #637 of 1064 Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I myself feel it's Great that Margo Martindale has a hit in "The Millers" , she deserves to be making the big $$$ .
I myself don't hate the new show , but I can say it's not my cup of tea either but it's good to see her career move forward into a leading role instead of all the supporting roles she has done at this later stages of her life . Exposure on "The Millers" will open up even better roles for her . I thought she was fantastic on " Justified" .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #638 of 1064 Old 10-21-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I thought I saw a peek of Nina on The Blacklist.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #639 of 1064 Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I myself feel it's Great that Margo Martindale has a hit in "The Millers" , she deserves to be making the big $$$ .
I myself don't hate the new show , but I can say it's not my cup of tea either but it's good to see her career move forward into a leading role instead of all the supporting roles she has done at this later stages of her life . Exposure on "The Millers" will open up even better roles for her . I thought she was fantastic on " Justified" .

Those supporting roles on 'Justified' and 'The Americans', for which Margo's won multiple awards including an Emmy, are the reason she was even offered the role on that insipid sitcom. Yes, she probably wants to cash in while her iron is hot - who wouldn't? - but she's taking a risk. If the show succeeds in sticking around for a few years, she might just fly off the radar of top-flight drama producers and fade back into the woodwork. Which may be fine with her, but after tasting the acclaim that comes from doing great work on great shows (which pay well also), most serious actors would be loathe to give it up just to chase a few fleeting rubles on a forgettable, formulatic sitcom.
post #640 of 1064 Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I also liked her in "Mercy" and "A Gifted Man."
post #641 of 1064 Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

I thought I saw a peek of Nina on The Blacklist.
I seen that as well smile.gif

Mike

post #642 of 1064 Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

TV Notes
Margo Martindale and 'The Millers' Riding High
By Donna J. Plesh, TVWorthWatching.com

Life is good these days for Margo Martindale. She’s one of the stars of CBS’ new Thursday night comedy The Millers, which was rated 11th in this week’s Nielsen ratings—better this week than any new network comedy, or drama for that matter.

Life will likely get even better for the veteran actress when the film version of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway stage hit, August Osage County opens in theaters on Christmas Day. In that film, already generating Oscar buzz, she is part of an all-star cast that includes Meryl Streep (she plays Streep’s sister), Julia Roberts, Ewan McGregor, Sam Shepard, Dermot Mulroney and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Martindale is on a roll. Last season she played the handler of a pair of Russian spies posing as Americans in the FX Cold War-era drama series The Americans and her 10-episode run earned her a 2012 guest actress Emmy nomination.

The year before, Martindale won a 2011 Best Supporting Actress Emmy for her role as crime family matriarch Mags Bennett on the FX series Justified.

With all the drama roles recently, why a comedy series? “I always wanted to do a comedy,” she says. “The appeal is that you are on your toes and it really challenges the fastness at how one can work. It’s not easy. It’s all about being facile and fast. so I think this is the right time to do it.

“It [comedy] just seems natural,” she continues. Martindale’s career started on the stage and included sketch comedy roles at a New York club, and she liked the way it felt. “From the very moment I started doing comedy on stage...I always wanted to be on a sitcom.”

Instead of that, she says, “I just started killing people [in TV roles and in films] along the way. And so, finally, I’m getting to do some comedy. I’m very happy.”

On the sitcom, Martindale plays the mother of a recently-divorced TV newsman (Will Arnett). He’s looking forward to living on his own and getting back into the dating game. But things don’t go exactly as he had planned because his mother and father (Beau Bridges) separate after years of marriage. Mom moves in with her son, and dad moves in with his sister (Jayma Mays) and her husband (Nelson Franklin).

Martindale’s character immediately inserts herself into her son’s life. In the first episode, she literally became the life of the party when she and Arnett re-enacted the memorable dance scene from the film “Dirty Dancing.”

“That scene took a lot of practice and a lot of work. Will and I would work with the music and try to get the steps out and try not to screw up,” Martindale recalls.

Airing at 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, The Millers has, arguably, the best timeslot on television following television’s hghest-rated comedy The Big Bang Theory. How does she feel about having her show in that coveted timeslot? “Well what do you say?” she says, with a laugh. “I sure hope we don’t screw up.”

Not so far. The series seems to be on solid footing, but she says she’d be interested in finding time to return to The Americans, too. Her character, Claudia, was not killed off. “I hope we work it out so I can go there.”

At 62, Martindale’s career seems to be in fast-forward. She’s got a high-profile network series, a film opening that’s causing some early Oscar buzz, an Emmy nomination, and an Emmy trophy already at home.

“Well, I get to turn down jobs now, which is really something that didn’t happen before,” she says. “Things are great. It’s not like I’m an overnight [sensation]… I’ve been working all along. You just didn’t notice me.”

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogPostDetails.aspx?postId=6088[/quote]

Mike

post #643 of 1064 Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
'The Americans' Casts Cartoon Network Alum for Season 2 (Exclusive)
11:00 PM PDT 10/18/2013 by Rebecca Sun / thehollywoodreporter.com

Aimee Carrero will recur as a Sandinista freedom fighter on the FX drama.

Actress Aimee Carrero has landed a recurring role on FX’s The Americans, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

Carrero, who was a series regular on the Cartoon Network live-action series Level Up, will play Chena, a smart yet impulsive Sandinista freedom fighter who “will go to any lengths to support her cause.” The casting indicates that the United States’ assistance of the Nicaraguan Contras will be among the historical events of the 1980s that the FX political drama will explore in its second season, which premieres in January.

Carrero also has been cast in Young and Hungry, a multicamera comedy pilot from ABC Family and CBS Studios. Carrero will play Tessa, the best friend of series protagonist Gabi (Emily Osment) in the project from executive producers Eric Tannenbaum, Kim Tannenbaum, Ashley Tisdale and Jessica Rhoades. Tessa is described as an ambitious banking intern who is always hustling to make ends meet. If the pilot is picked up, it will be a series regular role.

Carrero’s credits include Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel and Blue Lagoon: The Awakening as well as guest spots on Greek, Lincoln Heights and Hannah Montana. She is repped by Innovative, 3 Arts and attorney Bill Skrzyniarz at Skrzyniarz & Mallean.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/americans-casts-cartoon-network-alum-649602
post #644 of 1064 Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Looking forward to this coming back.

May even re-watch season 1 on demand, which I've never done.

Well, I just switched from D* to Comcast, where OnDemand is easier to access.
post #645 of 1064 Old 11-02-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'm watching with my wife and daughter. I had watched the first season but gave up because the show seems so random -- no rules just stuff happening. We watched the second season when the marathon occurred. Jessica Lange seems like she is having a great time doing these shows. We were watching Lange and Bates go at it and guessing that these great gals must have been cracking up with the lines they were spewing out. Still more random crap but I guess I am less critical and more willing just to let the ride go where it will.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #646 of 1064 Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I'm watching with my wife and daughter. I had watched the first season but gave up because the show seems so random -- no rules just stuff happening. We watched the second season when the marathon occurred. Jessica Lange seems like she is having a great time doing these shows. We were watching Lange and Bates go at it and guessing that these great gals must have been cracking up with the lines they were spewing out. Still more random crap but I guess I am less critical and more willing just to let the ride go where it will.

I think you are confused. American Horror Story perhaps?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #647 of 1064 Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Yep, wrong thread. Looking forward to this show coming back, could be interesting when they throw in the Sandinista plot.
post #648 of 1064 Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yep, wrong thread. Looking forward to this show coming back, could be interesting when they throw in the Sandinista plot.

Sounds great, but if they cast Oliver North in any role, I will throw up.mad.gif
post #649 of 1064 Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's another on-set photograph. Don't think it's considered a spoiler.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #650 of 1064 Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks like they both went to Wigs R Us. eek.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #651 of 1064 Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On-set photographs for season 2. The wig room! tongue.gif
https://www.editorsguild.com/Magazine.cfm?ArticleID=1246

post #652 of 1064 Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 112
People article suggests Russell and Rhys might be a couple.
post #653 of 1064 Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #654 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I don't know if its that I liked this show even more than I thought, or if its because the trailers are so well done. But I can hardly wait for it to get back now. Maybe not as much as GoT or Justified, but close.
gwsat likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #655 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I don't know if its that I liked this show even more than I thought, or if its because the trailers are so well done. But I can hardly wait for it to get back now. Maybe not as much as GoT or Justified, but close.

Yes, exactly. The Americans is indeed in a class with Justified and Game of Thrones, which is pretty good company. Just when I thought I couldn't get any more ready for the new season, Young C posted the picture of scrumptious little Keri and I was suddenly even more ready. Keri Russell has unbelievable range. She is equally credible in her sexy femme fatale pose as she is as the almost mousy American housewife, Elizabeth Jennings.
post #656 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Keri Russell has unbelievable range. She is equally credible in her sexy femme fatale pose as she is as the almost mousy American housewife, Elizabeth Jennings.

Not bad as a badass either, as her handler would surely agree. smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #657 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Not bad as a badass either, as her handler would surely agree. smile.gif

Yeah, it is fun to see Keri drop her sweet little housewife pose the instant before she goes medieval on some unsuspecting soul. smile.gif
post #658 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I hope FX shows season one again. On demand. I've only found it on Amazon but I don't want to pay $22 for it.
post #659 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I hope FX shows season one again. On demand. I've only found it on Amazon but I don't want to pay $22 for it.

I was looking too. My guess is they took it off demand, if they ever had it, because they'll be releasing the box set soon.

But they are airing season 1 now so I set my tivo to record, though the earliest one is ep 3.
post #660 of 1064 Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Let me just sum it up for the newcomers: This show is very, very good. And I don't bequeath such accolades lightly.

For my money, the best new series of 2013. I expect that vector to continue its upward path now that the crew has a full season under their belts. Anybody who doesn't watch it, but who considers himself a connoisseur of good serialized drama on the small-but-distinguished screen, should - nay, ought - to be watching this show. Ye shan't be disappointed. I guarantee it.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page